Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 292 83.43%
No 58 16.57%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th December 2013, 13:05   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

ATTN: For those who are charged extra labour for misc activities upon paid service:

My wagonRs second year service was scheduled today. The car was picked up punctually and within sometime the junior SA called up. As this was a major service everything had to be replaced. She gave an estimate which included the labour charges as under:

Paid service - 1280
Coolant replacement - 90
Brake cleaning - 750
Brake bleeding - 250
Caliper greasing - 150

and I said STOP.

I was tired of hearing this BS even when I sent the SX4 for service. I asked her what they would do for the paid service part. She started blurting things like general checkup, electrical checkup, wash, oil change. This pissed me even more. I could do that general checkup myself as well as the electrical checkup and moreover I am sure that electrical checkup is just done to find fused bulbs which will be non existent in my cars.

Told her that I will verify the extra charges with higher ups as it was too ridiculous. Gave a call to the TSM asking whats going on these days. He clearly stated that they cant charge me for the work as it is included in the paid service labour. I instructed him to tell the same to the dealer.

In some time, the GM of the service center called up and apologised. He referred the Job Card to a known SA of mine who again tendered apologies and assured he would look into the servicing personally. The overall bill came to Rs. 3800 after getting every fluid, filter, oil replaced and brakes cleaned and greased. He stated that the junior was a newbie and had not known things properly. I then told him that this wasnt a new practice and hence dont fool around with me.

If any of you are faced with the same list of extras, report it to your respective TSMs immediately. Action is assured, and I am satisfied with the costs. They are not expensive at all.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 21:47   #287
BHPian

^^ Please share the service station name also.
ontheroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 10:11   #288
Senior - BHPian

I always service each car with Garuda Autocraft, Kanakpura Road. Have brought cars from there itself. Apart from these enthusiastic SAs trying to inflate bills by acting as if they know whats best they are really fantastic when it comes to service experience. As I have mentioned, the juniors try to add unwanted things to the service bills which makes service seem expensive. Once we escalate matters, they respond well and get things sorted. Now the question may arise of why escalation is necessary.

Finding an honest service center is difficult these days. This thread itself indicates how many people are being charged extra for stuff that shouldn't be. For me, I dont mind shooting a call or two for solving matters. At least, I am not being routed between dealer and manufacturer like what other companies do. As soon as I called the TSM, it was a butter smooth experience. Also, I have spoken to each the TSM, GM of the service center as well as the senior SA about such tactics. They assured they would not repeat this in the future. The TSM too assured that they would send a formal notice to the service centers to stop such activities.

If they were really trying to pull a con job, the TSM could have just backed the claim of the SA. All I did was ask him if I had to pay extra for stuff and he immediately gave a negative answer without me arguing why and so.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th December 2013 at 10:14.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 12:13   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A

Paid service - 1280
Coolant replacement - 90
Brake cleaning - 750
Brake bleeding - 250
Caliper greasing - 150

and I said STOP.

I think i was also looted at the hands of the service centre. I have been charged separately for these components in my last 40 K service.

I would also like to know if Glow plug is covered as part of warranty, out of the four glowplug one had gone bad . I had to pay for the same.

Attached is my 40 k bill, Warranty statement from maruti
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-20131208-11.43.46.jpg  

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-glow_plug.jpg  

sandeep3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 12:44   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
I think i was also looted at the hands of the service centre. I have been charged separately for these components in my last 40 K service.

I would also like to know if Glow plug is covered as part of warranty, out of the four glowplug one had gone bad . I had to pay for the same.
Reoort the same to the TSM along with the bill and I am sure they will look into it. If the service center is Mandovi on bannerghatta road I think the TSM will be the same as ours. Will PM you his details.
Old 8th December 2013, 23:59   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reoort the same to the TSM along with the bill and I am sure they will look into it. If the service center is Mandovi on bannerghatta road I think the TSM will be the same as ours. Will PM you his details.
For my the 70K Servicing the Labour charge alone came to 3351/- @ Mandovi, Wilson Garden.

Paid Service - 1225/-
Wheel Balancing - 4 Wheel - 500/-
Wheel Alignment - 405
Blower Vent Clean - 550/-
Rear Brake Drum Both Side R&R - 221
Caliper Pin Greasing - 150/-
Wheel Stud and Nut - 180/-
Consumable Check/Replacement - 120/-

The same trend is followed in Bimal, BG road as well. Please PM me the TSM details.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 00:06   #292
BHPian

Sometime back, I was reading a thread " cost involved in opening a dealership." If we go through it carefully, we will realise that dealer margins are shrinking and the cost involved in operating a dealership is very high. So to cover that cost majority of the dealers have started fleecing customers by suggesting useless things like throttle body cleaning, engine decarbonising, Teflon coating if the car is new and goes for a free service, and so on. The list is endless and I personally feel that we should go by the service manual. It does not suggest most jobs even after running one lakh kilometers which the service stations are willing to perform in a few thousand kilometers.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 16:28   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Sometime back, I was reading a thread " cost involved in opening a dealership." If we go through it carefully, we will realise that dealer margins are shrinking and the cost involved in operating a dealership is very high. So to cover that cost majority of the dealers have started fleecing customers by suggesting useless things like throttle body cleaning, engine decarbonising, Teflon coating if the car is new and goes for a free service, and so on. The list is endless and I personally feel that we should go by the service manual. It does not suggest most jobs even after running one lakh kilometers which the service stations are willing to perform in a few thousand kilometers.

Exactly, if these additional tasks are really needed, the manufacturer would have included these into Service schedule in the user manual . All these De-carbonising , teflon coating etc are just for the dealers to make profit! I always say - No de-carb, fuel additive, engine oil additive, alignment,balancing,wind shield additive ! These are the main money spinners for them
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 12:06   #294
Senior - BHPian

And I forgot to notice. Without putting a word to me, they billed five sachets of windshield washer concentrate and put them in the glove box as if it was complimentary.

Usually they would bill a single sachet and add it to the tank, but this time they used one sachet and put the rest for my future use. Okay this might be a nice action people may say, but the thing is I already have ten sachets at home I brought sometime back. They could have asked me if I needed them.

If I did not have them then I would have appreciated their action but this is just heights. I sae those sachets only yesterday and thought it was thrown in as a compliment. Only when I saw the bill I came to know they had charged me. Guess they will have trouble during feedback time. Okay so that reduces the actual bill by hundred which is again acceptable. So next time I have to check each and every particular before making payment.
Old 10th December 2013, 13:01   #295
Senior - BHPian

^^ I guess this is a universal trick. However would say you were lucky that you got the sachet at least .

I had once filled my windshield washer container to the brim with mix of water and Sonax concentrate. Gave the car for service couple of days later, once work was done saw they have billed me with windshield washer sachet (I guess the bill amount was ~13). Though the amount was less I knew they could not have filled 50 ML sachet to the container which was full. Told SA the same and he just had a sheepish smile.

Nowadays I specifically mention - No Windshield concentrate, No alignment while giving car for service.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 13:20   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Given the unwelcome extras that they charge us for, I guess we would have to write a big para in the job-card - No alignment, no balancing, no throttle-body-cleaning, no brake-cleaning, no decarbonizing etc. I usually add a "No TestDrive" on the job-card, given the way I have seen their inhouse Schumachers drive (actually rip) customer's cars inside the workshop.

My policy is to stay with the MASS till the free-service period, which usually co-incides with the warranty period - mostly 2 years for Maruti cars. Then find a good competent mechanic/garage for servicing from then onwards.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 14:02   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Given the unwelcome extras that they charge us for, I guess we would have to write a big para in the job-card - No alignment, no balancing, no throttle-body-cleaning, no brake-cleaning, no decarbonizing etc. I usually add a "No TestDrive" on the job-card, given the way I have seen their inhouse Schumachers drive (actually rip) customer's cars inside the workshop.

My policy is to stay with the MASS till the free-service period, which usually co-incides with the warranty period - mostly 2 years for Maruti cars. Then find a good competent mechanic/garage for servicing from then onwards.
Not joking but I write No TD, No wheel alignment, balancing, rotation. No decarbonising and No injector cleaning.

I finished my free services and now currently on the 12th service (100K service done). Though the MASS I go to is decent and they do follow my instructions and the Dont's Worthen in the job card. I give the car in a very dirty condition inside and out to check whether they wash and clean it or not. If the diet is still like that I don't pay for washing. Did that twice from third service all was normal.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 19:02   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ I guess this is a universal trick. However would say you were lucky that you got the sachet at least .

At least I had purposely not topped up the tank recently. I knew they would fill it up. But this act was unexpected. Of course if I had found out the sachets in the bill only, that matter would have gone elsewhere. My whole point is why the hell should they try to be extra nice and rip off people. I guess for new car owners, they are fooled in every possible way. At least with my case they should understand that I m not new to cars and they should cut all their BS with me. The SA should have realised that when I took up the extra billing matters to high levels. Its not the question of how much it costs, as its a mere 15 bucks per sachet. But the SA SHOULD have informed that this would be added to the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Well maybe I should try doing that, especially when I have a pretty decent service center just around the corner of the road, and an MGP outlet a few roads away. The ASC is quite a distance away and most of the times me or my dad will send the car with their driver. Sometimes we go there to pick up else that wont happen too. Now that exams are going on for me and my dad is extremely busy, we dont have the time.

But again, I am in a complicated situation. This ASC is quite decent. Except for the attitude of these junior SAs who think they know everything, the seniors are really good. Also I know most of the faces there, except for these SAs who keep coming and going. Hence, I need to visit the service center everytime and give my vehicle into the right hands from next time. Right from the Sales GM, service GM, body work manager, everyone are familiar with me. So at least in that way, I wont be ripped. Waiting for my exams to get over so that I will teach these guys some management lessons.

Now the current agenda I have is as follows. I will get a service feedback call shortly where they will do anything for a 9/10. This time I will be giving a 7/10

-2 for trying to rip me off
-1 for dumping so many sachets of washer concentrate

That will take the matters to certain levels where I will explain them how not to make money.

My aim is simple. I want them to take formal action against these practices. As an informed customer they cannot trick me(except for this sachet ) but for other owners, they are ruining service experience. This thread itself is an indicator. If they lose on the service front, we will definitely have to bid goodbye to MSIL, as this is one thing they bank upon. Hence, I think the concerned officials are going to take this seriously.

And next time suppose if you are not charged extra due to a notice being issued to the service centres, remember audioholic for this work Also you could add to the pressure by mailing your respective TSMs regarding such rip offs.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th December 2013 at 19:03.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 01:07   #299
Max
BHPian

Quote:
But again, I am in a complicated situation. This ASC is quite decent. Except for the attitude of these junior SAs who think they know everything, the seniors are really good.
Well, its usually these seniors who make all these policies and ask staff to implement it. What do you think they don't know whats going on in their workshop? They know it all, infect its because of their instructions and training juniors behave like this because in today's corporate world there is only one mantra taught to employees! How to meet your targets! Everybody is given targets and if they don't meet their targets they are fired! Simple as that! Now the money has to come from somewhere so they adopt these techniques and setup the trap, whoever fall pays and smarter and concerned guys like you are not bothered. Unfortunately, 90% of people don't care and get felicitated. Have you checked their systems? every service adviser, mechanic, RM have numbers attached to them, the number is for generating reports about how much this guy made for them. Welcome to corporate India!

Do you know how much money they make from chauffeur driven cars? Drivers even have share in profits or they are given commissions to bring cars to them because owners don't care or simply do not have time to think about few thousand bucks.

Quote:
Now the current agenda I have is as follows. I will get a service feedback call shortly where they will do anything for a 9/10. This time I will be giving a 7/10

-2 for trying to rip me off
-1 for dumping so many sachets of washer concentrate

That will take the matters to certain levels where I will explain them how not to make money.

My aim is simple. I want them to take formal action against these practices ...... Hence, I think the concerned officials are going to take this seriously.
"explain them how not to make money"

No! they are not going to do that, they are going to tell all their juniors remember this guy and never offer him these extra services and they will remain caution from you but nothing actually is going to change! They may apologies to you but remember, Apology is the keyword used in corporate world without any feeling or thoughts attached to it, just to keep you calm and happy!

Quote:
..... everyone are familiar with me. So at least in that way, I wont be ripped. Waiting for my exams to get over so that I will teach these guys some management lessons.
Well, the first practical management lesson is, how to increase profits and handle the situation! You are the profit and situation. Do I need to explain you more?

Last edited by Max : 16th December 2013 at 01:30.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 11:57   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Well, its usually these seniors who make all these policies and ask staff to implement it. What do you think they don't know whats going on in their workshop?
Of course its them who make the policies. As a customer, all I care is about where my interface is. And if one connection does not work, I will go a step or two up the route and try there. As long as my work is done as per the expectation, I dont give a damn about what they do. And when I complain to them, they will resolve the matter. Whose fault it is, I really dont have to worry about.

If at all the seniors were so adamant about such things, the GM could have backed the SA saying what she estimated was perfect. However, its against the policy as MSIL will clearly indicate what is to be done under service or a specific package. Then it could be called as a scam in the higher levels.

Quote:
Everybody is given targets and if they don't meet their targets they are fired! Simple as that! Now the money has to come from somewhere so they adopt these techniques and setup the trap, whoever fall pays and smarter and concerned guys like you are not bothered.
A service center has to make profits I agree. I dont expect them to run like a non profit organisation. Hence the seniors set targets. At the lower levels of management, the grouse is how this target is achieved. Thats where they screw up. Suppose a SA has to bill worth 20k everyday, they should focus on billing five customers 4k rather than maybe three customers 7k each by inflating bills.

Thats what I wanted to convey them. By overcharging, even people without any automobile knowledge will look at other alternatives for servicing. Most of the owners stick to ASC for the initial services. Once they are looted like this, they will never return. Especially with Maruti, as you get both genuine spares and labour available in plenty.

As I told before, the seniors knew me, but they didnt know it was my car that was the matter. Once I spoke to them, they got to know and also I am pretty straightforward with those folks. I told him on his face that if setting targets was your primary goal then also set the way your workers achieve those targets. I believe management is not just setting goals but also defining how they must be achieved. Else things will go haywire.