Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 290 83.33%
No 58 16.67%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th May 2015, 12:17   #481
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

EGR cleaning was ~1300 Rs when I got it done two years back.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 18:40   #482
BHPian

Except for the 'Throttle Body Cleaning' charge which is currently 300/- including taxes in every ASS bill the charge for the other items is reasonable at Maruti. Labour charges have of course increased over the years but this is unavoidable.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 20:18   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

With due regards to mods team, I think the logic of the poll is slightly flawed. I come across this feeling every time this thread pops up.

The poll asks if service and spare costs are increasing at Maruti. But that is obvious and bound to increase over time. The question to ask is if servicing a Maruti is getting more expensive than other brands? Or is maintaining a Maruti is as expensive or more expensive than other brands?
In my opinion, the question is a little vague without a reference point.

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 19:30   #484
Senior - BHPian

Why exactly EGR and Intercooler needs to be cleaned in Maruti ? Never heard about EGR and intercooler cleaning from Tata cars with same engine.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 22:11   #485
BHPian

^^^Swift diesel service manual mandates cleaning of EGR every 30k kms. Based on my understanding, The Fiat MJD engine is notorious for soot formation and requires frequent cleaning. Team Fiat forums have a lot of pictures of the engine exhausts.

Maruti service masters charges rs. 3200 plus VAT for EGR. It is cheaper in a lot of other places including some M.A.S.S
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-1431275989420.jpg  

Sridhar K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 23:05   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
^^^Swift diesel service manual mandates cleaning of EGR every 30k kms.
Thanks for the info, how do they clean just using compressed air or something else ?
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 10:23   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thanks for the info, how do they clean just using compressed air or something else ?
The mechanic mentioned that they remove the complete EGR assembly and the associated plumbing, clean them with diesel/cleaning solvents and then put it back. They claim that it takes at least 3 hours with 2-3 people
Sridhar K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 19:42   #488
BHPian

My swift VDI 2007 model is now due for service.Its clocked 119k KM.
My last service was with Kalyani Motors white field at 102K KM.

During this time major suspension replacement was done and also change the battery.
It came around 46K. They have not asked me to replace the timing chain .I was not happy with their service so this time after Team BHP members feedback selected Suraksha Koramangala.

Today given for service and they asked me to change the timing chain this time because it was not replace during my previous 100K service.

They quoted 14K for chain replacement and 20k for other services including synthetic engine oil and other oil replacements.
balechaparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 08:32   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
Today given for service and they asked me to change the timing chain this time because it was not replace during my previous 100K service.

They quoted 14K for chain replacement and 20k for other services including synthetic engine oil and other oil replacements.
Not sure of the pricing pertaining to Timing chain so I reserve my comments for that part but 20K for rest is shocking?

What do they mean by the "Other services"?? Can they list down the things that are need for the 1,20,000 kms service?
  • Engine oil
  • Oil filter
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin air filter (If equipped)
  • Coolant
  • Brake fluid
  • Clutch (If it needs replacement)
  • Brakes (If they need a change else they are just to be cleaned)
  • Suspension (Inspect and Replace)
  • EGR, Inter-cooler cleaning (Optional)
  • Battery and electricals (Check functioning)
  • Wheel alignment + balancing + rotation (If done at MASS)

The above list is what I can think of majorly that are carried out regularly in any routine service. If there is any troublesome in the car then I can under 20K bill for other servicing else it is daylight robbery.

With my Ritz VDi touching 1 lakh kms, I didn't have to spend above 10K for the 1 lakh service!
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 09:44   #490
BHPian

Hi a4anurag,

Here is the estimation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not sure of the pricing pertaining to Timing chain so I reserve my comments for that part but 20K for rest is shocking?

What do they mean by the "Other services"?? Can they list down the things that are need for the 1,20,000 kms service?
  • Engine oil
  • Oil filter
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin air filter (If equipped)
  • Coolant
  • Brake fluid
  • Clutch (If it needs replacement)
  • Brakes (If they need a change else they are just to be cleaned)
  • Suspension (Inspect and Replace)
  • EGR, Inter-cooler cleaning (Optional)
  • Battery and electricals (Check functioning)
  • Wheel alignment + balancing + rotation (If done at MASS)

The above list is what I can think of majorly that are carried out regularly in any routine service. If there is any troublesome in the car then I can under 20K bill for other servicing else it is daylight robbery.

With my Ritz VDi touching 1 lakh kms, I didn't have to spend above 10K for the 1 lakh service!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-scan.jpg  

Old 18th May 2015, 10:20   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
Hi a4anurag,

Here is the estimation .
Engine oil if synthetic max should cost you between 3700 to 3900. Not sure why it is 4500.

Delete indoor cleaning, engine decarbonizing and what's the last one charging 1000 bucks?

AC ducts cleaning to can be avoided.

Wheel balancing and alignment can be avoided.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th May 2015 at 10:22.
Old 18th May 2015, 10:35   #492
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestion .
Dicky door hydraulic function is not working, closes automatically.I think thats the last item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Engine oil if synthetic max should cost you between 3700 to 3900. Not sure why it is 4500.

Delete indoor cleaning, engine decarbonizing and what's the last one charging 1000 bucks?

AC ducts cleaning to can be avoided.

Wheel balancing and alignment can be avoided.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:06   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

My Zen went in for a service yesterday. No repairs were needed apart from the driver's side wiper blade change and a few plastic clips here and there. Got the tire rotation done too after an interval of 6K kms. So it was just the regular service and engine oil change. It cost me about 2600 bucks at MASS. The major expenses were for engine oil and filter. 3.5 liters of 5W-30 oil at MASS cost me Rs. 1032 which is less than what I used for so long-Castrol Magnatec.

Paid service cost is Rs. 860/- for the Zen, which in my view is nothing more than washing and spark plug cleaning. Wiper blade cost me Rs. 266/- which I think is much higher than what I paid last year. I think I paid Rs. 177/- for the same blade last time.

I wanted a left outer rear view mirror (Rs. 1430/-) but could not get it fitted because they did not have the inner assembly of the mirror in the stock. Will get it fitted once they have it in stock.

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 18th May 2015 at 11:07.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 11:08   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The major expenses were for engine oil and filter. 3.5 liters of 5W-30 oil at MASS cost me Rs. 1032 which is less than what I used for so long-Castrol Magnatec.

Paid service cost is Rs. 860/- for the Zen, which in my view is nothing more than washing and spark plug cleaning.
That oil looks to be mineral hence the 1K bill for it.

860 bucks is standard across range and for paid service. All other jobs that demand labour are charged separately. The 860 will be in the list compulsory.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:52   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
^^^Swift diesel service manual mandates cleaning of EGR every 30k kms. Based on my understanding, The Fiat MJD engine is notorious for soot formation and requires frequent cleaning. Team Fiat forums have a lot of pictures of the engine exhausts.

Maruti service masters charges rs. 3200 plus VAT for EGR. It is cheaper in a lot of other places including some M.A.S.S
My 4.5 year old Swift Vdi has run 75k kms, and I have not been asked to do EGR cleaning even once so far. I do all my servicing at MASS. Are you sure about the service manual mandating cleaning of EGR every 30k kms. Can you please post the picture of the same?

What are the symptoms that would require one to think of EGR cleaning? I have not experienced any loss in pickup, excessive smoke, excessive oil consumption, excessive diesel consumption. Do I still need to clean my cars EGR?
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote