Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 334 83.92%
No 64 16.08%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th January 2017, 11:03   #661
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Another feather in Maruti's cap. My, now almost 6 year old Ritz Vdi has hardly done 5k kms since the last service done around August last year and I get a call for a "regular" service yesterday. On my insistence that its not needed, the usual nonsense of car may fail and something was uttered. I reminded them of 1 year or 10k kms service interval for which they had no answer and I was immediately told that this is a just a routine check and wash kind of service which will not exceed more than 1500 INR. I have any way paid a lot more for my Ritz servicing and there is no way that I am ever visiting this service center again. This by the way is S.K. Wheels Navi Mumbai. I would advise everyone around Mumbai to avoid this dealer and A.S.S in the future. Its just not about extra not needed work done during regular service, in fact when I had taken delivery of the vehicle, it had a small dent on the driver side front door and only on my escalation to Maruti was it fixed and painted which took 3 attempts from their side to complete to my satisfaction.

Last edited by SPARKled : 15th January 2017 at 11:05.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 23:39   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I get a call for a "regular" service yesterday
+1
I too get these calls from Surakshaa Bangalore and they are really annoying.

I shifted to Benaka motors for my previous two services but continue to get calls from Surakshaa!!!

Oh and wait it gets better with Kalyani Motors. I have never taken my car there anytime but I receive calls from them too regarding upcoming services.
I once received a SMS from Kalyani saying "Your car service is complete and ready for delivery" when it was parked at my house
My attempt to explain that some mistake has occurred and that I have not taken my car to Kalyani has fallen of deaf ears.

Having said that I can see why they call. If it were my naive parents or in-laws who were at the receiving end they would readily take the car for service again without knowing what these goons are upto.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 09:08   #663
Senior - BHPian

Maruti service has become more of a joke these days. Its their reliability and lesser need of visits to service centers that is keeping the air calmer else it would have turned a skoda soon. Having had enough marutis in the house from a long time(6 in the last 10 years), the newer models have more niggles and need of visiting service centers more often.

My SX4 never went to the ASC except for regular service. Even today after 8 years, it is the same, except for a recent suspension refit. And Suraksha in Bangalore thanks to a certain set of people has been keeping the quality to decent and acceptable standards.

Coming to my WagonR, both side headlights were replaced due to fogging. Since we had it only for 3.5years, and 35k kms, there was nothing much required.

My celerio now has a new clutch disc at 5.6k kms, and there is a noise coming from the engine mounts which again needs attention. And the dealer whom I purchased from, Garuda Autocraft earlier had a competent set of people at the service center. Now, its mostly a bunch of jokers assigned as SAs. Save for a few technicians who are skilled, the others are just junk. See the kind of comedy:
  • When I went in for second service, I reported a clutch judder and the noise from engine bay when crawling.
  • The SA wrote it down as 'Hard clutch' much to his foolishness
  • He confidently asked me when I want the car back, and I told by afternoon. However, since the clutch had to be looked at, I was not serious about it.
  • At 4PM, this SA calls me up and tells that I will get the car the next day. Having been woken up from an afternoon nap, I was annoyed by his casual attitude and he told me that the clutch requires replacement and hence it will take a day.
  • Asked him what they were doing with the vehicle from morning and he blabbered some programming and stuff, which was lies since apart from resetting the transmission which is a two minute job, they cant do any programming of sorts. I wished to speak to the GM of the service center whom I knew before and then the SA told he will call me back once he meets the GM
  • Five minutes later, he informs that the GM is in a meeting BUT the car will be delivered the same day itself, in an hour or so.
  • I call him after an hour and he told me that everything is done, and the car is being washed. Hence I left home to pick up the car.
  • When I reached the service center, I found that the car is still being worked upon, and the clutch replacement is just being finished. Not yet even close to washing.
  • This SA now vanished out of sight knowing that I will demolish him for what he has done. However, I was more interested in overlooking the process and speaking to the technician on what he did to my car
  • Moreover, I was happy about them readily replacing the clutch disc without further experiments, and was focussing on the transmission setup and learning.
  • Since I was getting late, I was not interested in them cleaning up the car and hence asked for a brief wash.
The SA turned up again at the last moment just to give the invoice and gate pass. Earlier, he had indicated some consumable charges in the morning amounting to 100 odd rupees, but after this, he did not dare to include that in the bill. The clutch disc surprisingly costs only 800 and this was covered in warranty.

Will write a stinker to Maruti and would probably not visit them again. A visit to Surakshaa is now pending to get a squeaking noise resolved.

Though escalations work really well in Maruti, not always do we have the time to get behind these people's backs and get work done at gun point. I would expect them to work without having been prompted regularly to. This is where the service quality is coming down to. And wait, I have not even come close to service costs. Maybe that will happen sometime my car is due for third service.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 15:19   #664
BHPian

The more you are aware of things - technical and financial, the lesser chances for you to be ripped off at MASS.

Last month I had taken two cars to MASS for service -

Third Service for Ertiga and first Service for Wagon R - same SA for both.

After the Eriga was taken in for service by the SA, I got a message intimating that the approximate cost of service would be Rs. 3000/-

I sought out the SA to clarify the estimate. He reassured me the the actual amount would be a few hundreds lower - and the estimate is rounded off.

I kicked into high "scam alert" mode. I told him to do only work that's mentioned in the Owners Manual for the Third Service, No Wheel Alignment and Balancing, No Polishing and Dressing, and only the recommended Mineral oil is to be used, No Synthetic Oil.

I pulled out the first service bill when I had done a voluntary Oil Change - Rs 1000, and showed it to him. I told him I expected the bill to be the same amount.

The final bill for the Ertiga came to Rs. 1000/-
Ramon is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 17:40   #665
BHPian

This thread is a wealth of information especially for new/going to be Maruti customers! A request - can we have a list of details of unwanted items that we get charged unless we tell them explicitly and have it pinned to the first thread? This will be really helpful for many of us!!
sairamboko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 11:59   #666
BHPian

Sent my Baleno for the 15000KM service and ended up paying Rs.5931/-
Is Maruti service that expensive?
They have charged for things not asked for or not required.
Some such items are:
AC Gas Can - Rs.391+tax
Nitrogen gas filling - Rs.100+tax
All brake cleaning - Rs.650+tax

What can i do in this situation?
Will their service reps help or should i contact maruti directly?
abhinavsureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 12:10   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
What's done cannot be reversed & neither will they agree unless you fight with them, you're going to spoil your reputation.

If you haven't paid them, tell them, you didn't expect the bill to be this huge citing some reasons & REQUEST them if they can knock off things that you haven't requested for showing your job card for what you've requested to do & what they've done.

But again, they're going to come back & say they're required & to be done per Maruti's standards blah blah. If you've already paid, tell the SA that you've paid for things that you haven't asked to do & tell them, you were able to some of them yourself & hence didn't opt that in job card politely & say you're going to shoot an email to Maruti. They might try & find alternatives for you like a free car wash coupon, accessories discount coupon etc.
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 12:16   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was the AC not cooling properly?? AC gas is something which cannot be verified later, so it is often added to the bill uselessly. Nitrogen gas filling is useless(specially at a MASS). Kindly check if they have Nitrogen inflator or not-recently my friend was charged for nitrogen, but the workshop didn't have an inflator. They tried to escape by saying that they took the car to another outlet which has N2 inflator, but a quick look at the jobcard(which has the incoming ODO reading) again proved that they were trying to dupe us. Also the brake cleaning job is a part of the paid service and shouldn't be charged separately.

This is one of the main reasons why I hate dealer owned workshops. They inflate the bill uselessly. The normal MASS(other than the dealer owned) aren't so bad.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 21st February 2017 at 12:23.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 14:07   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Was the AC not cooling properly?? AC gas is something which cannot be verified later, so it is often added to the bill uselessly. Nitrogen gas filling is useless(specially at a MASS). Kindly check if they have Nitrogen inflator or not-recently my friend was charged for nitrogen, but the workshop didn't have an inflator. They tried to escape by saying that they took the car to another outlet which has N2 inflator, but a quick look at the jobcard(which has the incoming ODO reading) again proved that they were trying to dupe us. Also the brake cleaning job is a part of the paid service and shouldn't be charged separately.

Regards,
Shashi
I have spoken to the service manager and they are looking into it and getting back to me on this. If i dont get a satisfactory answer do you think writing to maruti would help?
abhinavsureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 14:16   #670
BHPian

Quote:
If i dont get a satisfactory answer do you think writing to maruti would help?
It certainly won't hurt, would it now?
teemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 14:28   #671
BHPian

Quote:
First of all why on earth is a Baleno going for a 15000 km service? After 10000 km the next service will be at 20000 km. Was decision to send it for service your own call, or did you do so after the dealer's reminder? Maruti dealers are well known to remind of these non existent 5000 km services looking to fool customers.

This service itself is illegitimate. What was done as a part of it doesn't even matter. Confront the service manager armed with the owner's manual and ask him to show where is this 15000 km service mentioned in the manual. You are entitled to refund of the entire amount as this was a ploy by dealership looking to earn quick bucks from unsuspecting customers. Escalate to Maruti if required.

For academic interests, I would like to know what else was done in this so called 15000 km service. Would be glad if you could share the details.

Last edited by AkMar : 21st February 2017 at 14:34.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 14:44   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
First of all why on earth is a Baleno going for a 15000 km service? After 10000 km the next service will be at 20000 km.
If I am not wrong, the 1st Service, or rather an inspection, is at 1000km; 2nd Inspection at 5000km. 3rd at 10000km. From here, there would be subsequent services at every 10000 km. I assume the 3rd inspection/service was missed and hence the 15000 km service.

Last edited by autospeaker : 21st February 2017 at 14:49.
autospeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 17:39   #673
Senior - BHPian

BHPian Akmar has made a very valid point!! Why 15000 kms in the first place. I have also got such BS calls from dealer workshops regarding periodic checkups every 2500kms, half service at 5000kms etc. All these ways are just to loot the customer.

I recently got such a call for my M800. The lady on the other side was quick to mention that if I don't get it done, I shall loose my warranty. I had a nice entertainment when I thanked her for providing me warranty even after 16 years.

@ BHPian abhinavsureka In case you don't receive a satisfactory explanantion(which you won't), send a strong mail to MSIL regarding this, and it'll be better if you send them the link to this thread too.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 18:36   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Is Maruti service that expensive?
They have charged for things not asked for or not required.
Some such items are:
AC Gas Can - Rs.391+tax

As other said, why the 15k service interval? This is a regular thing from most Maruti dealerships. Even when I had my Swift they would call me at every 5k interval mark and ask me to bring it for service.

When I asked them why it is not there in the manual, their reply was preventive maintenance and other such blah and that the car would be better off with the 5k service interval. I told them I trust the manual more so no thank you. On them still continuing to insist, I asked them for an email stating that a 5k service interval is mandatory and then I would bring the car to them, they relented and stopped calling me after that. They even told my dad when he went for his service that your son asked many questions

Nitrogen 100+tax!!! AC Gas Can for a 15k run car? Not sure what brake cleaning they would have done. As suggested, mail them and ask them for an explanation please!!
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 19:04   #675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AC Gas Can - Rs.391+tax
You should have questioned them why they did these without discussing with you? and refused to pay. First one seems like ac disinfecting and second is filling nitrogen in tires. You can try escalating again at dealership and at customer care.

Quote:

The brake cleaning is again not justified if it was done at 10k kms service.

Lessons for future, always leave clear instructions not to do any additional work apart from what is agreed while give the car for service, without informing you. Specifically mention that you will not pay if they do it without getting a confirmation from your side.

Avoid doing 5k service altogether, unless it is more than 1 year since last service, which is a very safe duration between services if your running is otherwise less.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote