Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 289 83.29%
No 58 16.71%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th June 2009, 14:39   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Most of the time it is emotional blackmail which works on owners of new car.

When I went for first service, they asked me to take some fuel line filter(2k).
They tried to convince me how important it is to take, I simply asked, if it so important, why maruti has not put it in first place to protect the engine ????
They backed off !!
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 02:19   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti service is cheap - A myth

Bumping up a 3 year old thread. This is going to be a long post, so please bear up.

Having owned Maruti vehicles for over 12 years now, and Hyundai/Honda/Chevy/Ford in the last 5 years, I am sad to say that Maruti is definitely not easy on the pocket anymore. However, what is worse is the question: "If Maruti isn't cheap, then who would be?"

A few excerpts from my recent experiences at Sai Service MASS, Verna Goa.

First time I was there, I had a complete steering and suspension overhaul done, along with basic servicing (without oil change, as I had already done it) and injector cleaning. The total cost was 5k odd, which was pretty reasonable to me.

6 months later, I went there for 70k service. The SA told me he would do a "major paid service", costing 890. I asked him what it includes, and he told me its a complete check-up and maintenance routine. So I gave him the go ahead. Apart from this, I asked him for brake bleeding, all fluids top up, throttle body cleaning, engine decarbonising, radiator flush.

I was surprised to know that they charged 1400/- and 1300/- for throttle body cleaning and engine decarbonising, respectively (consumables + labour). And throttle body cleaning while it is attached to the car, not removing it and cleaning it by hand. I still decided to go ahead with them since they were long overdue.

Here is a list of the following jobs that were done, while I was present supervising the work:

-Engine oil and oil filter change
-Gear oil change
-Brake bleeding, fluid fill up
-Brakes cleaning
-Throttle body cleaning
-Engine decarbonising
-Air filter cleaning
-Spark plug cleaning, adjusting the gap
-Adjusting clutch cable
-Radiator flush and coolant fill up
-General tune up

The total bill came to 6.5k odd, and I was like
And this was without engine oil, which I had brought from outside.

While I left the place, I felt cheated, since I felt that for a service of 890/-, definitely more should have been done. At least a general check up, if not anything else.

Couple of days later I emailed the customer care manager of the MASS, asking him for details about the 890/- paid service. I asked him what all routine procedures are performed for this service. He asked me my vehicle number, but I replied that I wanted the information in general and not with respect to my car.

This is the list I received from him.
1.ENGINE
a.water pump/alternator belt tension(inspect)
b.engine coolant(inspect)
c.cooling system hoses&connection(leakage,damage)
d.engineoil&oil filter
e.valve clearance
f. Spark plug (cleaning & adjusting gap)

2. FUEL
a. Air Cleaner (clean)
b. Accelerator Cable & Shaft (Inspect & lubricate)
c. Fuel filter , fule tank cap, fuel lines & connection (leakage)

3. CLUTCH & TRANSMISSION
a. clutch pedal (play)
b. clutch slipping( Dragging, Damage)
c. Transmission oil/Differnetial /Transfer oil (Level Leakage)
d. Gear shifter cables (operation)
e. Drive shaft boots (repl)

4. BRAKE
a. Brake Fluid (Level Leakage)
b. Brake pedal (pedal to wall clearance)
c. Parking brake lever(play)
d. Brake Disc & pads (inspect)
e. Brake hoses & pipes (leakage,damage)
f. Brake drums & shoes (inspect)

5. WHEEL
a. Tyres (Air pressure, Abnormal wear, rotation)
b. Wheels (inspect)
c. Front/Rear Wheel Bearings (loose, damage)

6. FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION
a. Suspension strut/shock absorber (oil leakage)
b.Suspension arms, knuckle, rear spring (damage , loose)
c. All nuts & bolts (tighten)

7. STEERING
a. Steering wheel (play)
b. All rods & arms (Loose, damage, wear)
c. Power steering system (operation oil level, leakage)

8. ELECTRICAL
a. Battery electroyte (level, leakage, s. Gravity)
b. Lighting system/Horn (operation)
c. Wiring harness connections (looseness)
d. Cigarette lighter (operation) (if equipped)
e. Wiper (operation)

9. BODY
a.. All latches, hinges & locks/ Central locking (operation/lubrication)
b. All chassis nuts & bolts (tighten)
c. Seat Belt (operation)
d. Seat latch. lever & lnob (operation)

10. ROAD TEST
a. Operation of brakes, clutch gear shifting & speedometer
b. Body & chassis noise.

11. WASHING

Thoroughly disappointed, and more than a little angry, I went back to MASS in a few days with a print out of the same. I confronted the SA with the printout in my hand, and asked him for an explanation. He was pretty shocked and lost for words at first, but tried to cough up an explanation. Everyone around, other SAs and customers included, could clearly see what was going on. It was a sorry scene.

Finally he gave up trying to fight, and asked me what I wanted. I told him I do not want anything else rather than the mentioned procedures to be carried out on my car, and a couple of other issues that I wanted looked at. Maybe he was expecting that I would want to complain, or demand some kind of compensation, and was more than happy with my statement.

Needless to say, he meekly performed the required service, as well as fixed a little issue I was having with the boot door. He waived off charges for the same, and so I didn't pay him a penny, even though I told him I don't mind paying for the work on the boot door.

So overall a mixed experience. I leave it upto other members to judge and comment upon the same.

A small anecdote. While I was there, a guy came with his Swift VDI 2011, for 20k service. The SA, while making the job sheet, added all kinds of things like additives for fuel, gear oil additive, engine decarb, throttle body cleaning, injector cleaning, etc. For a 20k service???

He gave the final estimate around 9k, (without any oils/fluids being changed, said these are not required at 20k), and the guy happily agreed to the same. Another case of a rip off!!

Last edited by swarnava.m : 17th June 2012 at 02:22.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 07:01   #63
BHPian

Agree that Maruti service is not cheap. Paid 6K for 40K service of my Alto which consisted of replacing all fluids, spark plugs and air filter.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 08:05   #64
BHPian

My experience says that you are better off knowing what is required (refer maintenance schedule in the user manual). The service stations will try to fleece you if you are not vigilent. Lastly, some DIY will go a long way in keeping costs down.
20k service and 40k service cost me 2.5k each for my Wagon R.
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 08:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

I recently gave a relative's 2004 model, 80k KM run Zen for an engine job at MSM. Piston rings (original size), distributor and clutch were the major replacements. Plus some denting/painting/bumper replacement jobs (under insurance), while we were at it. Bill was Rs 53,790.00. Very steep. Out of this Rs 1685.00 was our share for the denting jobs.

Major items:
Body shop : Rs 9156.00 (Under Insurance)
Bolt (10 no.s): Rs 1834.10
Cylinder head gasket : Rs 530.13
Ring set, Piston : Rs 1269.84
Fly wheel : Rs 1043.67
Timing belt/Tensioner assy/Intake valve/exhaust valve : Rs 3329.01
Water pump assy/gasket/belt/cap etc. : Rs 1657.12
Clutch cover/disc/bearing/cable : Rs 4079.48
Distributor assy : Rs 7393.84
Compressor belt : 742.10
Coolant : Rs 410.48
MGO 20W40 Shell : 748.30
MGGO : 723.14

Labour:
Full engine overhaul : Rs 7200.00
Engine assy R&R : Rs 1200.00
Misc labour : Rs 800.00
Manifold-Muffler : Rs 771.00
Lathe work : Rs 2120.00
Job work fuel : Rs 500.00

This is by no means inexpensive. But on the bright side, at least the car runs like new.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 14:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I recently gave a relative's 2004 model, 80k KM run Zen for an engine job at MSM. Piston rings (original size), distributor and clutch were the major replacements. Plus some denting/painting/bumper replacement jobs (under insurance), while we were at it. Bill was Rs 53,790.00. Very steep. Out of this Rs 1685.00 was our share for the denting jobs.

Major items:
Body shop : Rs 9156.00 (Under Insurance)
Bolt (10 no.s): Rs 1834.10
Cylinder head gasket : Rs 530.13
Ring set, Piston : Rs 1269.84
Fly wheel : Rs 1043.67
Timing belt/Tensioner assy/Intake valve/exhaust valve : Rs 3329.01
Water pump assy/gasket/belt/cap etc. : Rs 1657.12
Clutch cover/disc/bearing/cable : Rs 4079.48
Distributor assy : Rs 7393.84
Compressor belt : 742.10
Coolant : Rs 410.48
MGO 20W40 Shell : 748.30
MGGO : 723.14

Labour:
Full engine overhaul : Rs 7200.00
Engine assy R&R : Rs 1200.00
Misc labour : Rs 800.00
Manifold-Muffler : Rs 771.00
Lathe work : Rs 2120.00
Job work fuel : Rs 500.00

This is by no means inexpensive. But on the bright side, at least the car runs like new.
53k is WAY too high for any Maruti service at 80k. And, why would you need a complete engine overhaul in a 8 year old 80k maruti? I assume it wasn't too badly driven??
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 15:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

^^Indifferently maintained, would be my guess. Anyway the complaint was poor pick-up and FE. Assessments in two different MASS workshops confirmed two things; worn clutch and loss of compression in two cylinders. Also there was mild oil leakage from somewhere - not from the sump - which had to be investigated.

Having decided this much money would have to be spent wherever we went, I took the car to the one place in whose abilities I have full trust.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 15:49   #68
BHPian

The Maruti service center that I go to is Varun Motors in Begumpet, Hyderabad. They are very reasonably priced and don't add things that aren't necessary. They don't automatically add-on wheel alignment, engine flush, or overhaul. I think the experience at a MASS is dependent on the manager at that specific MASS. I have yet to try going to Varun Motors in Tolichowki, but the reviews posted online advise me not to.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 15:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

From my experience of owning more than four maruti cars at home, al I can say is that maruti maintenance is cheap. BUT it is the dealers who play foul. As per their practice, paid service charges are worth a wash only. What you get as bonus is dumb SAs trying to push you into taking extra services which we all know. Flushes, additive, cleaning etc etc which are not recommended by the manufacturer unless necessary. Fleecing is much prominent if the owner is a first timer. They say saar this is good get it done and so on but reveal the price only in the end.
The advantage with maruti is its low cost of spares and its availability in the open market. Using this, most mechanics would be more than happy to carry out your car's service.

If one still likes to stick to MASS like me, all you need to do is carry the checklist which has been posted earlier, and instruct them to do that much, provided its just a regular service. That will make them come to know you aren't an 'innocent' customer for them to fool around. And also keep a tab on their labour rates. If you dispute, they will readily reduce the cost.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 17:43   #70
BHPian

I'm a regular with a MASS, quite a few SAs were very familiar to me & the car, but for the last one year I face steep service charges. They now have a habit of including add-ons, additives etc. for the job estimate. Previously they will ask before adding such things.

I think this experience is only about the MASS centers that belong to Dealers. How about the other MASS stations?
viggienomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:26   #71
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Agree that Maruti service is not cheap. Paid 6K for 40K service of my Alto which consisted of replacing all fluids, spark plugs and air filter.
Services for the Alto at the 20k and 40k mark are generally on a higher side since a lot of changes (Engine oil, oil filter, coolant etc.) are carried out. The 40k service for my Alto came to ~Rs. 5300 including the Shell Helix HX5 engine oil and NGK spark-plugs I had purchased from outside.

On the bright-side, I was informed by the mechanic that the NGKs I put into the Alto have double the life (40,000 kms) and are used in the A-Star; instead of the usual 20,000 kms for the Champion spark-plugs.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

More I see it, the more it seems like Maruti has evolved into the equivalent of the Rs. 5000 inkjet printer. A flimsy aluminium engine that starts to misbehave post 50,000 kms. Weak suspension and chassis that begins to give up after 50-60,000 kms requiring major touch up. Cheap flimsy seats and plastics and downright harsh moves like doing away with the passenger side door locks. It's become more of a 'use & throw' brand and if you need to keep it running then it will certainly use up lot many parts in replacement and some money in labour apart from exhorbitant price of petrol. The new Maruti is not the old maruti that could last for a few lakh kms and yet keep up with A-B transportation in reasonable comfort and provide some real value.

the rupee has depereciated and so has the brand.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:11   #73
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

If you don't agree to the additives and rip off items which are not mandatory, I think MASS is still cheaper.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

I have owned a Maruti 800, a Santro and an Ikon, and except for the Maruti I have always been going to a neighbourhood mechanic. I have found that all these three cars are cheap. Of course Maruti comes with 12" tyres, Santro with 13" and Ikon with 14", so the tyres for the Ikon will cost more than the Maruti, but if you looked at the relative values of the three cars, all of them are cheap to maintain.

I was apprehensive about the Ikon, however a suspension change was completed in around 13k (the same for my M800 had cost me around 9k, back in 2005).

The underline: Beware of what the dealer/service centre person is putting into the jobsheet. Go through the owner's manual to know what activities are required to be carried out during periodic maintenance, which parts need to be mandatorily replaced and which parts only need to be inspected and replaced only if found to be worn out. So if your alternator belt is to be replaced at 80k and you are going for a 60k service and the SA claims that the belt needs to be replaced, you need to question him.

Refuse all types of additives, they are either worthless or you can get them at cheaper rates elsewhere. Waxing/polishing etc are not necessary at every servicing. Bargain on the labour charges for tasks such as 'inspection of brake pads'. My neighbourhood mechanic charges me 100 rs. at a time for jacking up the car and inspecting all four wheels/brakes. No reason for the A.S.S. to charge me more than that. And by all means get the inspection done outside as it does not violate any warranty and does not cost you a bomb.

To answer srisiva above, if you know exactly what needs to be done, even an Ikon is cheap to maintain (after the initial refurbishing, all I have spent on is the engine oil and filter, which costs as much as the Santro, which is just a notch or so higher than the 800).

Last edited by honeybee : 2nd July 2012 at 15:17.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Any service station, you should be knowing what are the stuff to be replaced and what all need to be done to your car. Do not agree to anything more they ask you to do.

Example:
Almost at 60,000 Kms on odo, the service advisor asked me to replace the suspension strut bearings of my Palio, he said they would surely fail(?) within another 1000Kms otherwise. I straightaway denied so they were NOT replaced yet and car is still running without issues at 75,000 Kms on odo. To be on the safer side, I got them checked by another person and they are still fine.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd July 2012 at 15:37.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote