Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 292 83.43%
No 58 16.57%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd July 2012, 15:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti service is cheap - A myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If you don't agree to the additives and rip off items which are not mandatory, I think MASS is still cheaper.
Srishiva - You have hit the nail on the head. This is precisely what we all need to do.

First equip yourself with the preventive maintenance work that needs to be carried out on the car before you reach MASS. This is given in detail in the onwers manual of the car (See service schedule section). These tasks are on the conservative side. In most cases one need not carry out any other task for preventive maintenance.

Next when the service advisor calls up after inspection on any parts that need replacement or repair over and above what has been given in the preventive maintenance schedule. This will be after the mechanic or SA has carried out a thorough inspection and /or roadtest. Please question each and every replacement /repair suggestions with these these questions -

1. What has failed? (Exact details of the part with the part number)
2. Why has it failed?
3. What are the symptoms of this fault?
4. What will happen if not repaired/replaced immediately?

Please do not reply affirmative to SA immediately take time to confirm the repair /replace work. Time is required to analyse whether he is saying has any merit.

With the above 4 questions you would be able to analyze if the repair /replace activity indeed needs to be carried out (You can google the answers). If you can't make out please write in this forum with the answers to the above questions and you can be assured to get comprehensive response within reasonable time.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:17   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
If you don't agree to the additives and rip off items which are not mandatory, I think MASS is still cheaper.
Could not agree more. Most MASS' have perfected such rip-off as an art in itself. So, if your car is in warranty or you prefer to service only at MASS (even after warranty), then the onus is on you to ensure that you are not taken for a costly ride when it comes to service. While giving the car for service, tell them clearly that you don't want any job done which is not part of the service - eg. decarb, flush etc.

To give an example, a colleague (tbhp-ian too - he will posting in detail about this) walks in today morning to my desk and tells his 1st paid service @ 20K kms for the Alto-K10 cost him Rs8780 (10K with tax added), which makes me go since even for my Baleno I dont think any service cost more than 3.5K at MASS.

One look at the bill and I can see where this inflated bill came from.

- Engine oil flush 790 + 67 = 857 -------> I have never done an engine flush till date. And at 20K is this even required ?
- BG injector cleaning =1538 ------> at 20K is this required ? I remember doing it at 50K and that too because Ignite thought the EML could be on due to this.
- AC dis-infection - = 533 ------> disinfect AC - that's a new one. These guys keep coming up with innovative ways to rip customers.
- Wheel spray - = 458 ------> what wheel spray for 500bucks
- Engine decarbonising- = 1600 ------> decarb at 20K - load of bull
- Brake bleeding - = 355 ------> why would one bleed brakes if nothing was done to the brakes like changing pads etc.
- caliper pin greasing - = 167 ------> for greasing couple pins ?
------

The above itself comes to 5508 which is more than 50% of the Rs8780 total bill.

And apart from this, they charged Rs3317 for synthetic oil, while MSIL does not mention oil needs to be synthetic in the manual. I have the A-Star with the same engine and I did not have to use synthetic - confirmed in manual before going for service and MASS did not insist either. If this was mineral oil, the amount for 3.1L would have been at best 1000Rs.

So, minus the unnecessary addons, the service would have cost him 9980-5508-3317+1000=2155, which IMO is not costly for a paid service including oil&filter change (1000+70), the general-service costing Rs1060 + tax.

So the devil is in the details !!! I have asked him to write to MSIL about this unethical practice of the MASS (ABT Ambattur).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd July 2012 at 16:29.
supremeBaleno is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:31   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
- Engine oil flush - 790 + 67 = 857 //
- BG injector cleaning - =1538 // at 20K is this required
- AC dis-infection - = 533 // disinfect AC - that's a new one
- Wheel spray - = 458 // what wheel spray for 500bucks
- Engine decarbonising- = 1600 // decarb at 20K - load of bull
- Brake bleeding - = 355 // why would one bleed brakes if nothing was done to the brakes like changing pads etc.
- caliper pin greasing - = 167 // for greasing couple pins ?
------
This does not mean MASS is costly. This just means, a service center made a bakra out of your friend.

Injector cleaning, decarbonising, flush etc are all useless, especially at 20K
carbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:05   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^That was exactly my point.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

Agree to the T. MASS was doing engine decarb and engine oil flush every time my colleague was changing his engine oil (Old Petrol Swift, non K series) - he is not an automobile enthusiast, and the SA made him believe that decarb and engine oil flush was a part of the engine oil change routine.

I have asked him to stay away from that MASS and keep a strict eye on the work sheet before he hand over the car from next time.

The onus is on us to make sure that we are not fleeced.
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 12:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One look at the bill and I can see where this inflated bill came from.

- Engine oil flush 790 + 67 = 857 -------> I have never done an engine flush till date. And at 20K is this even required ?
- BG injector cleaning =1538 ------> at 20K is this required ? I remember doing it at 50K and that too because Ignite thought the EML could be on due to this.
- AC dis-infection - = 533 ------> disinfect AC - that's a new one. These guys keep coming up with innovative ways to rip customers.
- Wheel spray - = 458 ------> what wheel spray for 500bucks
- Engine decarbonising- = 1600 ------> decarb at 20K - load of bull
- Brake bleeding - = 355 ------> why would one bleed brakes if nothing was done to the brakes like changing pads etc.
- caliper pin greasing - = 167 ------> for greasing couple pins ?
------

The above itself comes to 5508 which is more than 50% of the Rs8780 total bill.

And apart from this, they charged Rs3317 for synthetic oil, while MSIL does not mention oil needs to be synthetic in the manual. I have the A-Star with the same engine and I did not have to use synthetic - confirmed in manual before going for service and MASS did not insist either. If this was mineral oil, the amount for 3.1L would have been at best 1000Rs.

So, minus the unnecessary addons, the service would have cost him 9980-5508-3317+1000=2155, which IMO is not costly for a paid service including oil&filter change (1000+70), the general-service costing Rs1060 + tax.

So the devil is in the details !!! I have asked him to write to MSIL about this unethical practice of the MASS (ABT Ambattur).
This is the best example of ripping off. The problem will hit maruti as innocent customers will pass on this word to prospective customers that maruti costs huge amounts of money to service. Highlight this issue in the mail. I am sure you will get a refund for your friend. Service costs below 4k for regular service is acceptable.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 16:08   #82
BHPian

Maruthi services are not cheap at all. The reason they are considered cheap, is that they sell spares (child parts too) in open market.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 16:44   #83
BHPian

I am sure people with other brands also feel ripped off at some point or another. I don't think this is an issue with Maruti per say but with the service engineer you interact with.

After I switched from my Ikon to the SX4, I took it to Vishwas Udyog (Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore) for the third free service, the first two being done at Pratham motors. The service engineer said I needed to change the engine oil for the third free service but asked me to confirm what synthetic oil had been used during the first service. Since I did not have the job sheet on hand, I told him I will check and confirm. I called him back after an hour and told him it was Mobil (synthetic), he said I need not change it till I hit 20,000 kms. I there by saved a good deal of money. I get the car checked regularly and there has been no issues so far.

I have had mixed experiences at the Ford service stations as well.

I agree when everyone says that you need to be armed with the correct information and confront the service engineer if you feel you are being short changed or ripped off.

Parik
parik_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 17:24   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
I am sure people with other brands also feel ripped off at some point or another. I don't think this is an issue with Maruti per say but with the service engineer you interact with.

After I switched from my Ikon to the SX4, I took it to Vishwas Udyog (Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore) for the third free service, the first two being done at Pratham motors. The service engineer said I needed to change the engine oil for the third free service but asked me to confirm what synthetic oil had been used during the first service. Since I did not have the job sheet on hand, I told him I will check and confirm. I called him back after an hour and told him it was Mobil (synthetic), he said I need not change it till I hit 20,000 kms. I there by saved a good deal of money. I get the car checked regularly and there has been no issues so far.

I have had mixed experiences at the Ford service stations as well.

I agree when everyone says that you need to be armed with the correct information and confront the service engineer if you feel you are being short changed or ripped off.

Parik
I dont think thats a good suggestion to begin with. Oil must be changed at max every 10k/1year.
Old 25th July 2012, 18:05   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^He mentioned synthetic. Even mineral oil is good for 10K in modern engines and synthetic goes for 15K min IIRC. I would go by the car-manual and what the manufacturer specifies as the duration.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 18:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
^^^He mentioned synthetic. Even mineral oil is good for 10K in modern engines and synthetic goes for 15K min IIRC. I would go by the car-manual and what the manufacturer specifies as the duration.
The recommended oil for SX4 is 5W30 grade mineral (though synthetic can be used). Oil change intervals are 10 k and a checkup every 5k.
Isnt using synthetics for 15k pushing it a bit?. Stretching it to 20k isnt a good idea (though nothing may go wrong).
Old 25th July 2012, 18:42   #87
BHPian

I do check the oil regularly and so far there have been no issues. In any case I took the car in for the 3rd free service at 9000 km and its has only now crossed 10500 km. I hardly use the car.

I will however get it checked over the weekend and change if needed. Thanks for the advise.

Parik
parik_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 13:12   #88
BHPian

Default Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier? Poll included.

This post is meant to be Query rather than a Statement. Recently I came accross numerous example that validates this concern of mine.

Some of them are:
  1. Recently my manager took his previous gen SWIFT VDi for a 25k km service. The service center guy informed him that the 20k km service for the new generation SWIFT VDi costs around Rs.12k. This includes synthetic oil and oil filter change. The next shock came when he said that the Oil filter alone costs more than Rs.2k!!. That is a shock. How on earth does a SWIFT oil filter cost 2k+? Is this info TRUE???
  2. This is unacceptable IF ITS TRUE especially when you consider the same engine in a FIAT PUNTO has a 15k km service interval and a friend of mine shelled out only Rs.6k for this service!! My manager also told me that Maruti A.S.S. told him to bring in the SWIFT for a checkup every 5k km (This may be an A.S.S. center specific rip-off tactic. I do not want to speculate and generalize here. I always thought SWIFT diesel has 10k km service interval?).
  3. In sharp contrast the Ford service guys told me that my Figo will incur around Rs.4k+ for my upcoming 20k km service (Ford has a 10k km service interval). Thats more than reasonable when you consider that it includes oil change too!
  4. Before you feel that I am biased towards FORD let me just mention that my parents own a previous gen Wagon R Duo. I recently took it for its 25k km service. Guess what..I was ripped off around Rs.3400 without oil change!!! The car did not need oil change 'coz I had filled synthetic oil at 15k km so the next oil change is only at 35k km. The above cost includes an "injector nozzle cleanup" which alone costs Rs. 1200! I really dunno why I agreed to that and I really doubt whether that was absolutely necessary.
  5. I have also heard from another guy who spent Rs.7k+ on his previous gen SWIFT VDi battery replacement! Is this the case with all diesel cars in the segment or is it limited to the Maruti diesels?
The above instances were gathered from friends and acquaintances and is in no way my personal opinion. I just want to verify if the above info is true. If it is true then Maruti is taking the public for a ride with its low maintenance tag! If its not true...well then...forget this post and my apologies to Maruti!
itsgeox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 13:20   #89
BHPian

Default Re: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier? Poll included.

I think these are 2 different things. Spares getting costlier can be ascertained by checking MGP prices in open market and not by what the service center chap quotes.
Service cost is a different matter. Having both in one poll isnt right.
Old 26th July 2012, 13:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier? Poll included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
Guess what..I was ripped off around Rs.3400 without oil change!!! The car did not need oil change 'coz I had filled synthetic oil at 15k km so the next oil change is only at 35k km.
itsgeox - oil change with synthetic is as per manufacturer oil change recommendations - generally 10 to 15K kms with synthetic depending on the car model. Certainly not 20K kms. Whoever told you 20k kms is spinning a tall tale. Please consult the car's manual for the correct drain intervals.

You can also look here for information arising out of discussions on synthetic and mineral oils.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote