Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 292 83.43%
No 58 16.57%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd August 2012, 13:28   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti service is cheap - A myth

10k service for swift VDI costing 10k odd is daylight robbery for sure. My Etios (p) 10k and 20k service charges were 1050 and 1788 respectively. I met a Fortuner owner at the dealer who had come for his 30k service and his bill was 7k odd. Really surprising to see Maruti ripping of customers.
heman_369 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:46   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier? Poll included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
There isn't a rule that a premium hatch needs to carry premium maintenance costs with it. More so because it wasn't the same case previously with the older version. How does one justify 3x rise in the cost of a diesel filter and engine oil.
Ritz, shares the same engine as the Swift.
Hi Moralfibre,
Yes, I could understand your concern here. A filter should cost the same whatever might be the version, whether its premium or not. I think if we can do some analysis here,like what material was used before and how it differs from the current one, we can understand the reason-ability of price hike. If there is no real reason then we can understand that they have taken this opportunity to increase the cost. But anyways your information was truly useful which I have shared here with couple of my colleagues who have new swift.
Balaji31582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:28   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

One thing is obvious - dealerships are taking all advisories as mandatory. I do not think they will learn till we start voting with our feet. My Satro has not seen the interior of a company workshop for well over two years.

Also, one expects a 30-40% premium on the same minor spare from the dealership as compared to the outside.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:24   #109
BHPian

MSIL is now exploiting their customers by utilizing their strong presence in the Indian automobile market. They have been receiving amazing response from the public for the past few years that has blinded their eyes. Now they have got a thought that whatever they do, their rolling metal chunks will keep bringing them mass numbers. Making profits by selling spares have turned to be a good fortune than serving their customers to live up to their expectations. If things are to go around this way, then sooner or later MSIL's reign will end.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
MSIL is now exploiting their customers by utilizing their strong presence in the Indian automobile market. They have been receiving amazing response from the public for the past few years that has blinded their eyes. Now they have got a thought that whatever they do, their rolling metal chunks will keep bringing them mass numbers. Making profits by selling spares have turned to be a good fortune than serving their customers to live up to their expectations. If things are to go around this way, then sooner or later MSIL's reign will end.
I think its an issue with specific dealers not MSIL in general. MSIL has sent out correct circular, but the dealers dont educate customers. Most customers dont want to be educated. I dont think that is MSILs fault in general. Yes, they can do better to control the quality of MASSes. MGP/MGA Spares are also available in general market at lower prices. Maruti website has list of all dealers who stock MGA/MGP. One could always double check on the prices with a simple phone call. This saved me about 1000 buks on a wheel bearing.
With so many MASSes I dont think it is actually possible for MSIL to control all of them. People need to empower themselves a little more.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 10:19   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
My car (new gen SWIFT 1.2 VVT) will have to go for the 3rd free service by 10-Nov-2012. Done close to 5k kms as of now and will be 7k by nov. One of my friends who got his recent 3rd service done on his new swift petrol (1.2 VVT) says synthetic oil was used. Can anyone who has done their 3rd free service confirm this? synthetic oil is close to 3.8k as against mineral which costs just 1.2/1.4k.

Just another point - apart from the service, availability of parts is a big question mark. My front seat buckle went kaput 2 months back, I had ordered one - I havenít received it.
Are you serious? I have a baleno where the front seat belt buckle has conked, and i have not been able to find one for 6 months. if this is happening for a swift, then i guess i should give up hopes for finding it for a baleno.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 10:45   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Are you serious? I have a baleno where the front seat belt buckle has conked, and i have not been able to find one for 6 months. if this is happening for a swift, then i guess i should give up hopes for finding it for a baleno.
Still havent got it. I called the service center, they are saying that stocks are yet to arrive. I dont know who is speaking the truth but this is really bad. I wanted to order for the Zxi/Zdi alloys and the dealer says he can give it to me if it is in stock else it will take close to 2 months. But good thing is that, I got them thru a tyre dealer in chennai and it was much cheaper than MGA.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 11:00   #113
BANNED

^ why dont you check this with other spare part stores. It will be available or they will arrange one from somewhere in a weeks time or check this site and call them. http://www.automotivesoul.com/
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 18:38   #114
BHPian

Default How much does Engine Decarb and Throttle Body Cleaning cost at MASS?

Disclaimer: Mods, kindly merge this post with an existing thread if required, but I have created this thread for a very specific purpose. In case this is deemed inappropriate, kindly take the necessary steps. Or if this is posted in a wrong section, kindly move the same.

I had my car serviced at Sai Service, Verna in May 2012. At that time, engine decarbonising and throttle body cleaning was done. During the estimate, the SA had mentioned 1400 odd for each of them. I okayed it and they went ahead with the process. In the bill, the total cost for both this processes was around 3000, which was OK as per the estimate. Here is a copy of the same.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-maruti-bill.jpg

Later, upon reading various posts on TBHP, I felt that this price was pretty high compared to what other MASS were charging. I therefore sent an email to MS today at 4 pm highlighting this incident, and inquiring whether these costs are regulated by MS or the MASS is free to charge what they wish to.

Around 6 pm, I received a reply by email as well as a phone call from one of their executives. He said that my concern has been forwarded to the MASS. He also asked me with reference to which MASS I suspect that I was overcharged. Since I did not have any references ready, I told him that I would get back to him with that information. A few minutes later, I received a call from the Customer Care Manager of the MASS, asking the same question. I gave him the same reply.

I therefore request TBHP members to kindly mention how much they have been charged for Engine Decarbonising and Throttle Body cleaning, and at which MASS. I would also request them to allow me to use this information to revert to Maruti regarding this issue. Also, it would be great if they mention the month and year when they were charged that amount. Thanks.

The car in question is an Alto 1.1, 2003 model.

PS. Kudos to Maruti Suzuki for their prompt and efficient response. I had not expected it to be this quick, and glad to say that I am pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 30th November 2012 at 18:45.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 20:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How much does Engine Decarb and Throttle Body Cleaning cost at MASS?

A bit old one though the part nos might help. Maruti Suzuki Baleno on Aug 2010 at Popular Vehicles and Service, Kerala

Part no - Item x qty = Cost

ALC120 - Carbon cleaning solution x 1 = INR 408.44
ZA22L0 - Engine decarbonizing using motorvac machine (labor) = INR 800
ZA21L0 - Throttle body cleaning (labor) = INR 235
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 20:23   #116
BHPian

Default Re: How much does Engine Decarb and Throttle Body Cleaning cost at MASS?

Well, it isn't a Maruti but for my Chevy Beat, I paid 3200 for the same procedure. I am not very pleased with the kind of money I had to dispose. This was at the 30 k service.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 21:28   #117
Senior - BHPian

Throttle body cleaning charges are around Rs 300. The engine decarb carried out in your car could be an online method and I have had my own apprehensions on its efficacy. That is a scam in itself resorted to by certain dealers. Could you experience any noticeable improvement in performance?
Btb, how much did your odo record till then?

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th November 2012 at 21:32.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 21:35   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Throttle body cleaning charges are around Rs 300. The engine decarb carried out in your car could be an online method and I have had my own apprehensions on its efficacy. That is a scam in itself resorted to by certain dealers. Could you experience any noticeable improvement in performance?
Btb, how much did your odo record till then?
Thanks. Odo was at 68k. Yes, after the service the difference was noticeable, and I have written about the same in this post: LINK (Alto Issues).

Although, I wouldn't know whether this was specifically due to throttle body cleaning/engine decarb or general service.

I am not sure what you mean by online method. If you are talking about running a fluid through the engine and then draining it, then yes, that is what was done.

Can you tell me which MASS charges 300 for throttle body cleaning? And is this only labour or cost of the liquid included?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 21:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Throttle body cleaning charges are around Rs 300.
I guess they do the throttle body cleaning by use of a spray, right?

Quote:
The engine decarb carried out in your car could be an online method and I have had my own apprehensions on its efficacy. That is a scam in itself resorted to by certain dealers.
What is this online method? Is it described anywhere on the forum or elsewhere?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 21:42   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Can you tell me which MASS charges 300 for throttle body cleaning? And is this only labour or cost of the liquid included?
Every MASS in Kerala charges only that much for the throttle body cleaning. The liquid you are mentioning is for the cylinder head decarb or engine decarb carried out in your Alto. Before the advent of this online system the cylinder head used to be opened up and cleaned along with valve lapping or grinding to improve efficiency and performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What is this online method? Is it described anywhere on the forum or elsewhere?
Online method is done without dismantling the cylinder head. A liquid is injected through the suction manifold which along with the fuel burns and in the process removes the soot or carbon accumulated in the combustion chamber.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th November 2012 at 21:48.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote