Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 15th July 2009, 16:39   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Punzabi, when you say there were no swifts in the showroom, do you mean there was no swift ZXI, or any other swift ie vxi, vdi etc.
I meant no swift what so ever with that mate. None of the variants were available.
Punzabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 11:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
@Gurpartap thanks for that Info buddy but if I buy it from hoshrpr, wouldn't the car be registered in hoshrpr? Is it feasible to buy it from there? the reason I am asking this question is I asked to a couple of dealers in Ludhiana but they said the car will be billed to someone living in Ludhiana and will de registered in ludhiana as well.
Don't think it's like that, since we bought our car from Jalandhar and registered it in Hoshiarpur. But that was years ago. You should be able to register it anywhere. Some years back it was trend to get HR numbers for taxis and trucks, since taxes for it in Punjab were higher than Haryana.

Hope you find a Swift here!

Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 11:46   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion but I rang the Hoshiarpur car dealer on saturday and learnt that they don't have any swift in stock to be picked up. They said I'd have to wait for three months after booking to get it and I can't wait that long. Moreover I rang all the dealers in Amritsar, ludhiana and nawashehr, they all tell the same story. Seems like MUL is flooded with Swift orders and can't keep up with demand.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:41   #19
BHPian

not flooded with demands, its a way of letting their other products getting sold ; its definitely on purpose. Given that a lot of people buy a car just because its a Maruti , this allows MUL to push customers to other products from its stables. Impossible for any other manufacturer to pull off.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 16:59   #20
BHPian

Keeping complaints aside, I decided to move on and buy a swift. But the thing is when parents enquired at dealership initially sales person advised that we can get the delivery in about three or so months (not before three months at all). But I'll be India in less then three months time and want the car in our garage before I arrive. I explained my situation to dealers (I've been in touch with ten different dealers from different cities) and two of them are promising (and assuring)to get us car in or around two months.

Now my point of concern is can dealers really get me car in two months or are they trying to take me on a joy ride? (I don't want dealers to fake promise me and keep delaying delivery date week by week)

Is it really taking like three or more months time for swift zxi to deliver outside punjab or not?

Fellow TBHP-ians please advise me on this one. Should I consider their offer or should I start looking for an easily available car. To be very honest owning any other car would be my nightmare.(Not to offend anyone, its just a personal opinion and liking).

advise quickly on this one as I'd need to make the booking ASAP.
Old 21st July 2009, 17:45   #21
BHPian

I was told that I would get my GP in 12days and it's been a month now and I haven't got mine yet..So in your case,by 2months,it's easily understood that the dealer has indirectly asked you to wait for eternity..
Just don't give a damn to this dealer and lookout for other cars which are readily available..All these dealers are totally mal-informed and little do they know about what they are doing..

Instead of bullying with those uneducated morons, better lookout for an alternative..
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 17:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
not flooded with demands, its a way of letting their other products getting sold ; its definitely on purpose. Given that a lot of people buy a car just because its a Maruti , this allows MUL to push customers to other products from its stables. Impossible for any other manufacturer to pull off.
I think the reason can be this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...gine-soon.html

To meet E IV emission norms, maruti might end up putting in K12M ( its not B, K12B is 1242cc and is available in international markets ) in Swift. I think this is the reason for delay and not a deliberate pull off from showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I was told that I would get my GP in 12days and it's been a month now and I haven't got mine yet..So in your case,by 2months,it's easily understood that the dealer has indirectly asked you to wait for eternity..
Its the diesel version of Swift that has greater waiting. I have mentioned above one possible reason why the Swift in petrol is not available.

What puzzles me it that why even diesel version was not available.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st July 2009 at 18:01.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:24   #23
BHPian

aaarghhh! why did I chose to buy a car when its not gonna be in available for me

@CliffHanger thanx for the peice of advise matie. seems like I should start looking for an alternative.

@aaggoswami thanx for the update. I never new some like that is cooking at MUL. a bit OT, the wording in your signature is applicable here now in my case.

Now I am back at where I started a couple of weeks (rather months) ago. I'd be looking for something to take my fancy again and its not good.but hey I got more excuses to stay tuned to TBHP now, isn't it.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:24   #24
BHPian

Default Forget Swift, check out other cars

Hi Punzabi,

I can understand your situation, having to select a car from a remote location and booking the car even without taking a test drive.

I feel that somehow you are hooked on to Maruti and Swift for no apparent reason. May be your friend/relative has had a pleasant experience with the Swift.

There is no doubt that Maruti is the No. 1 car maker in India and that Swift is a very successful car. But of late, all this success seems to have gone to their head, because of which the Maruti Sales and Service staff have started behaving like Government employees. They have developed a take-it-or-leave-it attitude, especially for successful models like Swift.

You mentioned that this car will primarily be driven by your father who is yet to take driving lessons. I hope you are aware that this car is not learner friendly. The front, side and (especially) rear visibility is not that good compared to other hatchbacks. Also, the protruding body on the sides makes it difficult to drive for a new driver. Finally, you need to be extra careful while parking it.

Although it is none of my business, but I feel that you are thinking in a self-centered manner here. You say that you want to buy a car for your parents, whereas actually you are looking for a car to satisfy the car enthusiast in you.

In my humble opinion, your father would be much happier to drive a smaller car (preferably with automatic transmission). If you buy a Swift for him, he would always be concerned about driving it extra cautiously so as to not scape it anywhere. Or worse, he may not drive it at all, if he finds it difficult to get used to the huge dimensions of this car.

Please don't take offense, I am just trying to help. Just trying to show you better options.

Here are a few tips from my side:

1. Swift petrol seems be undergoing a transformation (getting the Ritz engine) whereas Swift diesel has a long waiting period. Under these circumstances, I would suggest you to stay away from Swift (if you want it to be delivered within 2 months). Don't believe what the dealer tells you, he has no control over the waiting period. He can't help you to get a car any faster.

2. I understand that you are not in a position to check out the cars physically. But don't worry, team-bhp will help you a lot in this area. Take some time to go through the ownership reviews of other hatchbacks. Team-bhp has a comprehensive collection of honest reviews of almost all Indian cars. Many reviewers have also posted detailed photos, which is really helpful for newbies looking to buy a car.

3. Consider cars from other manufacturers also, especially Hyundai. Hyundai's A.S.S. is at par with Maruti, and they provide more personalised sales and service. Hyundai has some excellent hatchbacks - Santro, i10 and i20.

4. I would strongly suggest you to go for an automatic transmission vehicle. (If I understand correctly, budget is not an issue for you). You could go for i10 ASTA, fully loaded with ABS and airbags, along with optional sun-roof and automatic transmission. i20 1.4 automatic has also been launched recently. It is also a very good option for you.

5. Tata Indica Vista and Fiat Grande Punto are also very good cars, but I would not suggest these (unless you know someone in the Dealership). Many people have had a lot of bad experiences with Tata-Fiat dealerships. This factor is very important for you because you don't stay in India. Better to stick with a brand with good A.S.S.

6. If you are hell bent on buying a Maruti product, you could check out the Ritz. Nice city car, if you don't mind the ugly looks. But not available in automatic transmission (as far as I know).

Hope that was helpful.

Do let us know what you decided.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 05:40   #25
BHPian

@Rohan That was a sincere and a mature piece of advice. You are true, I wanted to gift a car to my folks but during search I somehow overlooked the fact and started looking for something that could cater to my needs. Swift indeed a chunky set of wheels and my old man may not even dare to get behind the wheel. Thanks for reminding me the actual reason to buy this car.

Am I offended?? no man, why would I? All you said was all truth. Rather you earned my Rispekt (Gangsta style, hugging each other holding right hands and hitting each others' back with left hand fist )

I realize lately that dealer can't get me the car in the time frame I prefer and there are very good chances he'll take me for a ride. I am not after swift anymore and have already started looking for another hatch (Possibly, It'd be i10 AT Sports/Asta). but still have my eyes open for something equal or better (that suits my dad's needs not mine).

Will keep you/Tbhp posted with updates/doubts etc.

EDIT: Mods could you please rename the thread as "Hriday-parivartan" (Change of mind) LoL

Last edited by Punzabi : 23rd July 2009 at 05:42. Reason: Added message for mods
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:31   #26
BHPian

Hi Mate, Good for you to move on from the Swift. May I suggest the Hyundai i10/20 for your usage? It should be a perfect fit for what you need. They also come with a reputation of quality and *** that is as good as Maruti.

P.S. Hriday-Parivartan would mean change of heart. Man Parivartan would be more apt here !
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:57   #27
BHPian

Thanx for the suggestion matie. yeah Hyundai i10 does more seems fitting to the needs.I stand corrected with the translation as well .

OT: Nice to see another Indian from OZ on Tbhp. I don't wanna be rude but where you originally from in India?