Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 23rd July 2009, 13:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Pandit: Two years ago, when I had decided to buy a Palio 1.6, I went first to Pandit to take a look at the car & for a TD. I wasn't expecting a royal welcome or anything, but was hoping that I'd at least have an initial discussion with a salesperson and get a short TD. The reality? My wife and I were in the showroom for 20 minutes and in that time not even 1 salesperson came and talked to us. We, on our own, roamed around the showroom looking at various posters, charts, brochures and the vehicles themselves. After a while, I got fed up and left their showroom, went straight to the BUB showroom and was attended to almost immediately. I now actively discourage people from going to Pandit.

Pandit Automotive is one pathetic dealership, and that's putting it mildly. BU Bhandari on it's own is not a shining beacon of a customer focussed business, but when compared to Pandit, they really are shown in a good light. I have heard of a few similar experiences (about sales & servicing) from my friends & relatives too, who have frequented Pandit, only to regret it later. From what maverickxx2006 has gone through, I don't think they have got their act together even now. I also seriously doubt that the owner of Pandit who is a member here cares enough to remedy things, 'cause if he did, Pandit would have had a lot more goodwill in Pune that it currently has.

@maverickxx2006 - I'd suggest cancel your booking with Pandit, get a refund, go to BUB and buy your Linea from them. Even if it means waiting for 2-3 weeks more, at least the probability of any more nasty surprises will be less.

Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd July 2009 at 13:54.
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:10   #47
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysurfs View Post
My buying experience is better with Prerana, till now. The sales person (Mr. Ashok) is really a professional. He has promised my Linea MJD Dyn PK (Perla Champagne) by July end. I have asked him to deliver me a July model (which i suppose should take care of any small issues/niggles reported in earlier lot) and that i would like to inspect the vehicle before getting registered. He has agreed to both. Lets see if he can keep his promise!

Concorde just didn't care. When i was going through my final negotiations, i called up Concorde to give me the best quote, given that i was just looking for the best deal possible. However Concorde was giving me less discount and no freebies! Finally went with Prerarana.

What are the discounts that you are getting? And what is the OTR?
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:58   #48
BHPian

Received reply from Mr Mangesh Kudalkar indicating that some one is looking into the matter and thats all. I have shot off mail to Rajeev Kapoor and waiting for his response.

Today morning went to Pandit Auto. Straight away demanded to see the branch manager. He was apologetic of the whole transaction and offered me entire refund. He said that the car was showing in the system and after taking the booking amount FIAT cancelled the invoice and said they would be giving another car. I blasted then saying why did they take the entire car amount? He said he was sorry and it was sales persons mistake to ask for entire amount and said there was communication gap between Tata Motors distributors and FIAT. He even showed me the email communication between him and FIAT. I saw that FIAT had cancelled the invoice, reasons given were 'technical issue'.

But Mr Kulkarni who is branch manager was quite transparent and said he has two options 1) He will refund entire amount 2) Will deliver the car in 5-6 days and as a proof he showed me the email communication.

Well I thought over it and decided that I will wait for another 5-6 days as I know BU Bhandari wont be of any much of diference and at least the branch manager has now told me clearly what the problem was, but I fail to understand why FIAT has cancelled the allotment. I have written to FIAT and waiting for reply as to why the car was called back.

At least today the branch manager behaved professionally hence I have decided to wait for another 5-6 days. Other wise if I go to BU Bhandari it would be case of ' asman se gira aur khajoor pe latka'.

So its another 5-6 days of agonising wait.
maverickxx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:18   #49
BANNED

Right Decision, Maverick. 5-6 days are reasonable rather than panicking & starting the whole process all over again. It would also spoil the whole fun of buying a new car.

Continue pressure on the dealer. If he says delivery in 5-6 days then try asking for engine/ chassis no. from 3rd day itself to increase pressure & keep on asking it.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:44   #50
BHPian

Default Patience and a Sense of Detachment are the Key

It's good to see that things have been (partially) sorted out and you will get your car in a reasonable amount of time.

From my experience buying my Scorpio I can tell you that you need an abundance of patience when dealing with some of these firms. I had to deal with - the dealership that I had booked the vehicle with loosing its M&M dealership status, the 3 week strike at M&M and the confusion surrounding ordering an atypical model ( VLX AT)

In spite of having not 1*, not 2** but 3*** 'contacts' in M&M my buying experience was not particularly good, I shudder to think of my state if I didn't have these people helping me.

*Brand Manager for the Scorpio Product line - who was introduced to me thru Mr. Goenka's office (my boss, who is the CEO of a large M&M group company wrote to Mr. Goenka on my behalf)

**VP Procurement - business associate and friend of one of my dad's college classmates.

Both of these people were very helpful and went out of their way to help me.

***Another VP who, in the event, didn't play much of a role.

Mine may have been an extreme case with a number of factors causing a 'perfect storm' type situation, but the end result was that I had to exercise extreme patience and not let emotion cloud my judgement while I waited for a vehicle that I had been lusting after for the last 5 years.

My point of comparison/reference is the bevy of Hyundais we have owned - Santro to Sonata, purchased thru multiple dealers in multiple cities, the buying experience in all those cases was much smoother and generally trouble free.

I haven't yet experienced M&M's A**, so I may be in for more surprises.
awarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:47   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Recently one member had very good experience with B U Bhandari while buying Punto.
+1.
I had purchased my Safari from BuB Pashan in Feb/09. PM me, if you wish to go with BuB. I can give you their GM's number- a gentleman to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
... Mr Kulkarni who is branch manager was quite transparent...
and at least the branch manager has now told me clearly what the problem was...
Most of the front ending staffs at these dealerships can't handle a "polished" customer.
They are tuned to sell to commercial owners/cabbies etc.
You should find the key person to speak to.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 23rd July 2009 at 17:56.
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
maverickxx2006, my suggestion is to graciously accept the apologies by Mr Kulkarni, and then start the discussion of 'repaying' you in the form of some free accessories. Since you have already decided to stay with Pandit Auto, try to get something more for your heartache

BTW, I have bought both my Indicas from Pandit Auto, and the buying experience has been very pleasant. I am reasonably satisfied with their workshop, too.
sschivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

^^ +1 to the above. i too suggest you, keep the full amount with them and ask them for some free accessories like a good quality film or seat covers or matts etc. it will save their processing work.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:14   #54
BHPian

Hopefully you will be writing your initial ownership review in a week from now . Keep us posted!
CarsPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Maverick,

Cancelling the booking & switching to the other dealer is a crap. Check CarsPG thread. He faced exactly reverse situation. BU Bhandari promised him the delivery in a stipulated time & delayed it longer. Whereas Pandit at that time gave a delivery time of 1 month to someone else or CarsPG. It seems Pandit sales guys have learnt wrong lessons by loosing a sale that time.

Switching dealer now may land you into "Aasman se gira Khajoor pe Atka".

Dealers of most of the MFRs do this for tie down the sale. Check various threads here, recent one is Shajufx thread about Fiesta S. He cancelled his Fiesta Booking, hopped around for other cars, got disappointed & came back to his chosen alternative Fiesta S.

Since now you've shooted the mail to Fiat, wait for a day.

Else the other alternative is to go for ANHC, SX4 or Fiesta. The only issue is we decide on a car after so much deliberation that its not easy to change the decision overnight.

Finally, Certain things in life are worth waiting for . Calm down, Increase the pressure cooly on the dealer & there would be solution
Well, as usual the most sensible reply is from VP (man, I am becoming his fan). I think he makes perfect sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Small digression/interjection to point out here that there are examples of dealerships in Pune that are doing very well in terms of sales and service experiences. Pashankar is one personal experience of late, even for a car as lowly as the Spark. DSK is another, this by what friends have told me, admittedly for a higher segment car.

<<snipped>>

PS: here is part of the post I made in another thread, fyi.
Reading all this, and reading some of the recent posts about pissed of buyers about their sales interfaces with dealerships, I must say that the Pashankar experience was excellent. It is a sharp contrast to the others. I had actually taken it for granted in my usual "I am a customer arrogance" at first, but when I see the contrast, I appreciate the way I was served a lot more. Nothing over the top - just genuine courtesy, people with genuine smiles on their faces, and deliveries to committed dates, to the hour. And the car has started to grow on me as I drive it in Pune city traffic.
The Hyundai experience was good too, but it was so driven purely by the energy and drive of the salesman I was fortunate to come across. I did not get the same sense of alignment of the rest of the dealership organization to serve me. No issues on delivery commitments or PDI, it is just that it did not surpass expectations. Pashankar did. Kudos to them. They have made two follow up calls already to see if all is well. Clearly well laid out processes are at work, and people are putting their heart into them as well. I know how hard this is to accomplish at a dealership level, so clearly GMI too is doing something right.
Well, the dealership experience was better with Pashankar because GM is not doing well, and in such cases the dealers & their staff works extra politely because their own future is at stake. We experienced this with Kinetic Flyte last year, when they had developed a very poor reputation for their products and A.S.S. My experience with Pashankar Honda 2 wheeler was horrible (had posted it on xbhp.com at that time). The manager level guy asked me to pay him 5000 as bribe to get me an Activa in less than a week when regular waiting period was 45 days or so.

Secondly rude shock came when I took test ride of Unicorn last year. The conversation with salesperson/test-ride executive went like this -

He: Sir, aap finance lenge kya? Mera ek friend hai HDFC me.
Me: NO, I won't need finance/loan for 2 wheeler.
He: OK...Aap software me hoge!
Me: Hmmmm... Yeah!
I was grumbling about lack of features/gadgets on Unicorn during test ride at that time as I was looking to replace my 10 year old Shaolin (Awesome bike!). While finishing 5 test ride around the showroom.
He: Sir, ek baat bolu?
Me: Yeah, go ahead!
He: Sir aap muze 50 rupees denge kya?
Me: What???
He: Nahi Sir, yaha paise bahot kam dete hai.
Me: NO! I don't have money for you!
I did report it to the showroom receptionist who asked me to fill in the inquiry form. She seemed shocked as well.

Comparatively, my experience with Kothari has been excellent. Recently when my Unicorn seemed to have some serious issues while starting, when I contacted them it all went very well, the service manager Mr. Ranjeesh really handled issues exceptionally well. And they even picked up bike from my home, and fixed the problem and didn't take a single penny as bike was under warranty!

My experience with Millennium motors for Maruti has been good as well. Good follow-up, no nonsense sales staff but haven't used their A.S.S. though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ if the salesman at pandit is really playing around, he is so screwed now ! i bet he didn't expect the whole experience to be posted on tbhp and the owner of pandit to be on tbhp :-)
Well, such things don't happen without owner's knowledge/consent! But as OP repors now, the issue was indeed with Fiat cancelling the invoice.

Quote:
Received reply from Mr Mangesh Kudalkar indicating that some one is looking into the matter and thats all. I have shot off mail to Rajeev Kapoor and waiting for his response.

Today morning went to Pandit Auto. Straight away demanded to see the branch manager. He was apologetic of the whole transaction and offered me entire refund. He said that the car was showing in the system and after taking the booking amount FIAT cancelled the invoice and said they would be giving another car. I blasted then saying why did they take the entire car amount? He said he was sorry and it was sales persons mistake to ask for entire amount and said there was communication gap between Tata Motors distributors and FIAT. He even showed me the email communication between him and FIAT. I saw that FIAT had cancelled the invoice, reasons given were 'technical issue'.

But Mr Kulkarni who is branch manager was quite transparent and said he has two options 1) He will refund entire amount 2) Will deliver the car in 5-6 days and as a proof he showed me the email communication.

Well I thought over it and decided that I will wait for another 5-6 days as I know BU Bhandari wont be of any much of diference and at least the branch manager has now told me clearly what the problem was, but I fail to understand why FIAT has cancelled the allotment. I have written to FIAT and waiting for reply as to why the car was called back.

At least today the branch manager behaved professionally hence I have decided to wait for another 5-6 days. Other wise if I go to BU Bhandari it would be case of ' asman se gira aur khajoor pe latka'.

That's great to know! That's exactly what we want. Responsible & transparent communication. It's fine if they make an odd mistake or two. As long they are willing to take ownership of the mistake and will to rectify it, we are usually willing to adjust. As it is being born & brought up in India makes us the most tolerant breed when it comes to service, we have the lowest expectations!

Buuuut, we should change and become more demanding otherwise service won't change. No matter of automation, CRM and all that will help unless the attitude of people providing service changes and the least we can do is to become a bit more demanding & pressurize them by word of mouth and on discussion forums like T-BHP.

So Maverick, keep follow-up. Go there on Monday and ask if engine/chassis number has come. That's the only way you can ensure that vehicle indeed gets delivered in 5-6 days. In this case, it looks like that dealer was indeed not to be blamed as Fiat canceled invoice themselves. Usually, this sort of things happen when some influential people (cops, politicians/their relatives etc.) want to buy the same car, and your promised car gets allotted to them. In this case however, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Let's hope that you'll have your car by next weekend! Maybe we can meet up for a coffee then!

Last edited by manish7 : 24th July 2009 at 12:55.
manish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 22:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

What are the updates? Did you get the car?
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 00:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
What are the updates? Did you get the car?
Not yet. Today the dealer informed that they have billed the car and it would come by wednesday. Counting 2 days more..
maverickxx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 17:24   #58
BHPian

Default Pandit does not need customers

The true story is Pandit Auto really does not need normal customers like us. Pandit is happy selling Indica's in "hundreds" to BPO's, software companies and transport companies. Pandit is one pathetic dealer.

Here is my experience with Pandit

Car we wanted to buy : Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT VX

We (me and my dad) go to the showroom. Ask the reception desk lady to call the Safari sales guy.

He comes, shows us the car. For some reason, he starts bashing Xylo and Scorpio. That guy had absolutely no idea about the features of Safari. The car in the showroom was a GX but he told us that it is a VX. I asked where is the rear view camera and the LCD screen ? Then he realised it is a GX.

Soon we realised he is an idiot and asked him for a price quotation. He then asked the most ridiculous questions "Do you really want to buy the car ?" Now this question throws up two logical conclusions
1. He did not think the car was worth buying.
2. He did not think we were worth buying the car.

I got extremely angry when he asked that question. Still, since I was with my dad, I controlled my anger. This sales guy then gave us a "hand written" quotation on an used piece of paper !!! He did not bother to use the letter head of the showroom. Can you beat that for unprofessionalism ? (He took around 10 minutes to write all the numbers down. He messed up the tax calculations twice) We just took that piece of paper, walked out of the showroom and trashed the paper.

We had left our business card and cell phone number with him. He never called back.

We then went to B U Bhandari. Extremely professional. Quotation was generated instantly, printed and given to us in an envelope along with the brochure. Within 2 days a test drive was arranged, we booked the car after the test drive and the car was delivered in 12 days. Thats how you sell a car !!

My Punto experience at Pandit
After the Safari experience, I had decided not to go to Pandit for buying the Punto. But since, the showroom is so close to my house, I could not resist the temptation of testing the uninformed sales guys who work there. (And how true my gut feeling turned out to be .. read on)

I had already booked the Punto with B U. One evening, since I had time, I decided to go to Pandit. The first (and only) question I asked the sales guy was "What are the engine specs of Punto". His response "Sir, 1348 cc". I said "Are you sure it is 1348 ?" He said "yes sir, It is 1.3 Litres engine na" I just walked out of the showroom not able to control my laughter.

I have been there twice. And the experience has been terrible. Don't think I will be going there again.

On numerous occasions I have also seen the service guys of Pandit driving customers cars in an extremely dangerous manner.

I read that the owner of Pandit Auto is on TBHP. I hope he is reading this.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 17:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

But these things do rub off on their volume sales. After our experience with the Tata passenger car dealer in our city, Dad (while buying UV's for his office) vetoed the tata option and got taveras instead.

The commercial tata vehicles are sold by separate dealer, and funnily(people say that they are treated like truck and bus owners - the irony is that they get better treatment) , we are treated better there (despite there being no fancy showroom), the salesman knows his vehicles, and is very cordial

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th August 2009 at 17:50.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 18:25   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Not yet. Today the dealer informed that they have billed the car and it would come by wednesday. Counting 2 days more..
Maverick- Brilliant. If they've billed the car, you can surely get the Engine/ Chasis No. Ask for it. If you get it imdtly, you can safely say that within 2-3 days you'll have hands on your beloved beauty
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote