Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 17th August 2009, 19:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Civic submerged at Dakshin Honda EDIT: Now resolved

Someone in my company gave his Civic in for a service.

Last night, the neighbouring tank overflowed and submerged various cars upto a depth of 5 ft. Car had to be retrieved using a crane. Everything from dashboard downwards is damaged.

I advised him, don't even think of repair. Some questions:
  • Which insurer should pay - Dakshin Honda or my colleague. I understand Dakshin have called insurance surveyors - whose is another question
  • I advised him to register the incident with his own insurer to cover himself. Have the car surveyed but avoid pursuing claim until Dakshin make an offer
  • How much can he get ? I told him that he will lose the LTT portion unless Dakshin compensates him for this
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its so sad and shock to hear such things.

I remember that the job sheet or wahtever it is, says that the car is serviced at owners risk. I wish Dakshin does not point this and cleans of its hand.

In my opinion, it should be Dakshin who should get the insurance from their side. Do update us about the progress.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 19:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

There's some rule that flood damage has to be reported within 24hrs. I remember when my uncles Fiesta stalled in water, insurance was not honoured as we did not know about this rule.

Car was sent to Ford who opened and gave estimate. Then later someone told to ask for insurance who flatly refused as car was with ford and there was no traceback whether it was actually flood damage. They said within 24hrs claim should be lodged.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Latest update - DH are in discussion with their insurance. They agreed that damage is non repairable and are taking complete responsibility. Compensation remains to be seen!
Old 17th August 2009, 21:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Latest update - DH are in discussion with their insurance. They agreed that damage is non repairable and are taking complete responsibility. Compensation remains to be seen!
Now thats something to be appreciated. Customer service. Great.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 22:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Now thats something to be appreciated. Customer service. Great.
Dont say anything so soon!! Words are cheap. Words come and go.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 23:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Just saw this, i thought cars submerged on road when i received your sms. My bad.

Hope your friend gets a new car out of this!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:31   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No questions asked, it is Dakshin & their insurance company who should compensate the owners. How old is your friend's Civic? The ideal deal would be = Cost of new Civic minus a discounted depreciation rate paid out to your friend. They could also throw in a massive discount on a new Civic.

Quote:
Nice. Keep us updated.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No questions asked, it is Dakshin & their insurance company who should compensate the owners. How old is your friend's Civic? The ideal deal would be = Cost of new Civic minus a discounted depreciation rate paid out to your friend. They could also throw in a massive discount on a new Civic.
Wrong time for this to happen. With the facelifted (well whatever) Civic coming up, its a tough ask!

In the ideal deal, will the company take care of insurance/regn too ? Assuming that they owner has paid lifetime tax etc.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
. How old is your friend's Civic? The ideal deal would be = Cost of new Civic minus a discounted depreciation rate paid out to your friend. They could also throw in a massive discount on a new Civic.

Nice. Keep us updated.
2 years and 2 months - I am suggesting he thinks on these lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Wrong time for this to happen. With the facelifted (well whatever) Civic coming up, its a tough ask!

In the ideal deal, will the company take care of insurance/regn too ? Assuming that they owner has paid lifetime tax etc.
We need to take account of this + 11 months emi to be foreclosed. He never thought of all these. He wants me to go along to the discussions in a few days.

However, Civics are'nt flying out of the showroom so may be a sweet deal could be worked out
Old 18th August 2009, 11:44   #11
BHPian

I was there on Saturday. They said 24 cars went underwater.
Their entire basement was flooded.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

That's bad to hear about your frineds civic, Good to see DH people are taking responsibility. I would urge to take a written letter stating damage caused by them, to avoid any future mis-communication stuff.

I would suggest to compare "Car value minus depreciation" and "Discounted new car deal" side by side and then decide the move.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 12:31   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Let us hope something positive comes out, and DH compensate his properly.

Incidentally, the one sided waiver you have to sign when the car goes in reads something to the effect that all storage and driving etc. as at owners risk. Whether this is enforceable is a different issue.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 13:54   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Too bad for the dealer. In my books, you cause the damage = you make up / pay up!

Quote:
2 years and 2 months - I am suggesting he thinks on these lines
Well maintained 2 year old Civic in Bangalore is worth what, 9 lakhs? They either write a check to your friend for 9 lakhs + some sweetner (50 grand for days without the car?), or adjust 10.0 lakhs against a new Civic.

Quote:
We need to take account of this + 11 months emi to be foreclosed.
When your friend is reimbursed, he can pay off the outstanding principal amount. Will be much lesser than the value of the 11 EMI's. Of course, you will have to bargain on the foreclosure charges (anywhere between 2 - 5% of outstanding principal amount).

Quote:
However, Civics are'nt flying out of the showroom so may be a sweet deal could be worked out
You can say that again.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear this, but its good that the dealer has owned up the responsibilty and agreed to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let us hope something positive comes out, and DH compensate his properly.

Incidentally, the one sided waiver you have to sign when the car goes in reads something to the effect that all storage and driving etc. as at owners risk. Whether this is enforceable is a different issue.
IMO, if it had been just one or two car, the dealer might have tried finding a way around this clause. But it is 24 cars we are talking about here, some might be dealers own stock among these, but still it is a big number.
Hope everybody who lost here gets adequate compensation.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote