Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 27th August 2009, 11:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default A lesson well learnt on dealer drama-Alto Lxi

I had purchased an Alto Lxi from a dealer in Coimbatore on July 31, 2009.

The usual stipulated time for receiving the temporary papers were 15 days from date of invoicing. I did not receive the same during this time. I called the sales executive on 21 August and he told me the papers would reach me the same evening.

I waited and the same did not come, I called him again on Monday and he failed to answer my calls, frustrated I mailed the MSIL customer care. The papers reached me on Tuesday morning.
The papers did not have the Form 20 which was with the financier, Kotak Mahindra who I had personally engaged as they had offered me the best rates.
In the meanwhile the sales manager and the sales executive had come down and explained that if were to avail finance through them they would have arranged all the papers and I needed to collect the same from the financier myself. I obliged as this was fair. However they said they will follow up the same and have my car registered as the last date for registering was 31 July 2009 and they wanted me to sign the satisfaction letter from MSIL. I flatly refused and said I would sign the same after the car was registered. They persuaded saying that they will reguster the car today, I refused again, if I were to receive the papers from them on time I would have followed up myself saving me the hassle from all this last minute running around.
Thats when the drama started. The sales manager promised to collect the papers and have my car registered today and mentioned that the GM of the dealership had already signed the dismissal order of the sales executive and will pass the same if the satisfaction letter does not reach him last evening.
The sales guy was a very nice person and I reluctanly signed the letter as I did not want him to be in a soup. It was very emotional as this was first job. I thought hell with it and signed, the fine would have been Rs.700 and this was too small an amount to put a career in jeopardy.

I waited for the papers till 10 AM this morning, no sign. The sales executive told me the papers are coming by courier and was infact at the courier office to collect the same. Then I was told that the papers are still in Coimabtore and will be reaching me today evening and the car will be registered tomorrow. And also the RTO is supposedly not available today for registration.

A lesson well learnt, follow up all formalities by yourself and never give in to emotional pressure.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 11:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

So sad!! Just for info, who is the dealer?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 11:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Please reveal the dealer. I don't know why people hide the name of the dealership in such cases?!

Yep a lesson learnt. Never give in to emotion when you're dealing with any business house. Well, i know sometimes it's hard like what happened to you, but still don't give in. Did you contact Maruti after this and how they tricked you into signing the paper.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 11:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

different cities..different ways of handling customers. here in Bangalore, the cars get delivered only with registration permanent or temporary. safer that way for either parties. well, now thats its a lesson learnt, guess anybody who buys a car needs to take a car only after registration and completion of all paper work at dealer end.
FYI , I took delivery of my alto LXi in Bangalore only after the reg process was all complete. this was not the case in Jammu where my FIL took delivery of his Alto LXi without registration and had to get that done all by himself.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 27th August 2009 at 11:41.
14000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 13:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

All these cases, the sales people disappear/do not respond once the order is confirmed and payment is received!!

Is there any dealer in Coonoor by the way? or the nearest one is in Coimbatore?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
So sad!! Just for info, who is the dealer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Please reveal the dealer. I don't know why people hide the name of the dealership in such cases?!

Yep a lesson learnt. Never give in to emotion when you're dealing with any business house. Well, i know sometimes it's hard like what happened to you, but still don't give in. Did you contact Maruti after this and how they tricked you into signing the paper.
I have not mentioned the dealers name on purpose, I do not want the executive to face the wrath of the incident. Let things cool off and I will disclose as I really do not want anyone of you to go through the same.
Also, this is a lesson for all new car buyers.

No, I did not contact MSIL after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
different cities..different ways of handling customers. here in Bangalore, the cars get delivered only with registration permanent or temporary. safer that way for either parties. well, now thats its a lesson learnt, guess anybody who buys a car needs to take a car only after registration and completion of all paper work at dealer end.
FYI , I took delivery of my alto LXi in Bangalore only after the reg process was all complete. this was not the case in Jammu where my FIL took delivery of his Alto LXi without registration and had to get that done all by himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
All these cases, the sales people disappear/do not respond once the order is confirmed and payment is received!!

Is there any dealer in Coonoor by the way? or the nearest one is in Coimbatore?
The sales execuitve used to call me atleast 5 times a day, very religiously as I was contemplating the buy between two dealers.

There are no dealers in Coonoor. They only have sales points.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The sales execuitve used to call me atleast 5 times a day, very religiously as I was contemplating the buy between two dealers.
thats exactly why the sales guys get aggressive. I've been a sales guy in the past. I know how the cookie crumbles. but all the deliveries i've made, we've ensured cars get registered and then sent out of the showroom.
14000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:16   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have not mentioned the dealers name on purpose, I do not want the executive to face the wrath of the incident.
Beejay, I'm sure you agree in the restricted value of a thread, if the thread starter only talks about his cars problems but doesn't name the car?

Please put up the dealers name. Our community is mature enough to arrive at an appropriate judgement.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 16:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Beejay, I'm sure you agree in the restricted value of a thread, if the thread starter only talks about his cars problems but doesn't name the car?

Please put up the dealers name. Our community is mature enough to arrive at an appropriate judgement.
Jaikrishna motors, Coimbatore.

I have done the registration. Form 20 had reached me this morning.

GTO, at times the thread can be put against the interest of the sales executive in come cases. I did not intend to restrict the value of the thread, rather I wish to highlight the fact that we should be aware of general dealer malpractices.

Last edited by beejay : 28th August 2009 at 16:26.
Old 28th August 2009, 23:37   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Jaikrishna motors, Coimbatore.
Thanks Beejay!

Quote:
GTO, at times the thread can be put against the interest of the sales executive in come cases.
Well, we have absolute faith in thread starters such as yourself to tell the exact experience, authentically. And our community is smart enough to take an accurate judgement call. Let the masses decide whether the salesman / dealer has goofed up or not.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote