Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 13th November 2009, 20:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
when is the next best possible date for the color choice of your liking from MUL?
Heard different dates; MSIL says Jan/Feb, a dealer (not Pratham) says Mar/Apr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So what are you planning for now?
Can't wait another 2 months for a new car. Last gen X-Trails were going at a discounted rate, so booked one today. Offer was there even when I booked GV, and had liked the X-Trail drive better during TD, but decided GV because of the poor Nissan service network. It's still the same obviously, but hoping Nissan will produce in India and enter the small car segment soon!
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 14:09   #17
BHPian

X-Trail also didn't happen. Went back and forth with Shahwar many times. At one point, had done PDI, paid cheque for full amount, and the car was supposed to go for registration. That morning, got a call from their BD head Srikanth (salesman was understandably too shy to call!) that "Nissan wants us to give the car to another customer". LOL!!

Didn't take my money back immediately, since he promised to hold the cheque and show me another (apparently one of last two last gens) in 10 days. Imagine my surprise when two days later the cheque is cashed! Called and shouted (no swear words, though called him a fraud, which he 'took to heart'), and after a long day of trading SMSs and calls, got the refund on a DD that night.

Despite this, made peace with them, because I wanted to see the next car. 10 days later salesman (he wasn't on site, we co-ordinated over phone) let me do a PDI, I was happy with the car, and called him to tell him I was ready to pay. He tells me then that he needed his boss's approval to sell the car. I call the boss who tells me that he was giving the car to another customer who had paid a 5L advance (I had pulled out all my money), and was willing to pick it up without a PDI. He was obviously getting back at me for calling him a fraud. Which I understand, I might have done the same!

The jab about about PDI was because he had insisted (on the day when we were trading SMSs to get my money back) that "Customers are not allowed to do PDI for high end cars like Nissan, Mercs, BMWs. It is done using software at the dealers".

Nissan. Sentra. Altima. High end. Right.

Story doesn't end here. Salesman (who all the while has been saying he is with me and that he doesn't understand his boss's behaviour) calls up and says the last X-Trail I saw was bought from Tapasvi Motors in Hyd and that they had one more available. If I was interested I could call them and ask them about it. Got through to their sales head Seshu. Explained the situation to him, and he told me that Tapasvi was shutting down their dealership, had sold a car to Shahwar, there was one more left which I could see (in Hyd) etc. He also told me that I should do the PDI and let Shahwar buy it off him, and then I could buy the same car from Shahwar. This way I would save on CST, registration costs etc.

Curious, I asked him how Shahwar would transport the car. He told me their driver would drive it down. I asked him if that's how the previous car was transported and he said yes. I told him it couldn't be true and that I had seen an odometer reading of 62 during my PDI. Seshu told me that Shahwar drivers come with an old odometer, put that in the car, and replace it back with the new one once back in Bangalore. When quizzed why they don't simply disconnect the odo, he said that battery doesn't charge when that's done. I was obviously shocked, and confronted Shahwar with it. They denied it completely. By that point I really didn't care who was right. Wasn't going to buy an X-Trail.

Anyway, no point cribbing, guess I wasn't meant to get a new car this year!

So update now is: will approach another Maruti dealer (haven't decided which one) and book a GV. MSIL sources say next shipment is in Feb, so mentally prepared for a Mar '10 delivery.

PS: Didn't want to start a new thread. This is not Shahwar bashing, just penning down my car buying experience..
Old 7th December 2009, 16:40   #18
BHPian

Oldmonk - While my sympathies are with your buying experience, I hope you see the bright side of things.
If the dealers are throwing you around for a high value car like the ones mentioned, I hate to visualize what would have happened if you ever had problems with your vehicle.
Looks like its better to stick to a vehicle which has some volumes behind itself.
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 17:07   #19
Team-BHP Support

So which purchase experience was more lousy, GV or X-Trail?

BTW, I can't believe the indifference of Maruti. There are many buyers lined up to buy and they are not bothered about it. Next shipment after 3 months? Where are they getting it from, the Moon?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 17:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not just Maruti but sources there tell me that even in Japan Suzuki will take up production only in Jan 2010 to get the VIN of 2010. Then only the next batch will be shipped to India. Is this good or bad - do not know but yes as per this schedule Feb/Mar is likely.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 17:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for such a bad experience. So whats next? Why not stick to a safe bet and go in for an Endeavour/Fortuner or Captiva. Or even the CRV ( I am sure there would be some where one left from the old "look" and going on a discount; unless you don't mind spending a couple of lakh extra for new bumpers.

If I were you, my choices would have been:

1) Fortuner
2) Captiva
3) Endeavour

Hey, how come I forgot the Outlander. Why don't you consider that?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 17:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I hope you see the bright side of things.
I do. Thanking my stars that I didn't end up with a (if Tapasvi is telling the truth) 600 km X-Trail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So which purchase experience was more lousy, GV or X-Trail?
It was more painful with Shahwar - did PDI on two different cars.. And Pratham didn't have the "we're high-end" attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
but yes as per this schedule Feb/Mar is likely.
Will keep fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Sorry for such a bad experience. So whats next?
Wait for GV. I am particular about looks. Find CRV/Captiva/Outlander too curvy. And like the relatively compact nature of GV, X-Trail. Fortuner is too bulky.. Anyway, heard from a dealer that Fortuner won't be available till 2011!
Old 8th December 2009, 11:34   #23
BHPian

That's a very bad experience with dealers. I can feel the pain for you. You are ready to spend money and still not able to get hold of one.

BTW did you know how is GV servicing, parts availibility etc?

Did you try Honda CRV?
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 16:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
BTW did you know how is GV servicing, parts availibility etc?
Nope. Haven't done any research; other than owner experiences I've read here.
Old 27th January 2010, 12:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

@Oldmonk - A question that popped to my mind is why Grand Vitara when the Fortuner is on sale? I know its a weird question, but still is there any specific reason?
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 12:50   #26
BHPian

Old Monk, hats off to your patience. I could really learn a thing or two from you.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 12:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
but still is there any specific reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
Wait for GV. I am particular about looks. Find CRV/Captiva/Outlander too curvy. And like the relatively compact nature of GV, X-Trail. Fortuner is too bulky..
Saving some work for oldmonk.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 12:57   #28
BHPian

Had a bad experience at Pratham Motors, before buying an esteem (later realized it is a lemon car) took it for inspection. They told everything is ok, later found out it was accident vehicle
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 20:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I know its a weird question, but still is there any specific reason?
Not weird at all, Fortuner is the sensible choice. I didn't want a big vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Old Monk, hats off to your patience. I could really learn a thing or two from you.
Yeah! Though this was very out of character for me. I'm usually always in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Saving some work for oldmonk.
Thanks Spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Had a bad experience at Pratham Motors, before buying an esteem (later realized it is a lemon car) took it for inspection. They told everything is ok, later found out it was accident vehicle
Sucks.

Pratham was the best of my experiences. The other two being, Shahwar (really pathetic) and Goa. Not documented here earlier and can't mention dealer because it's a friends', but the salesman tried to palm off a demo car to me saying "odo was faulty". This after I'd flown out to Goa when I heard about the GV for sale. No harm done though, PDI was complete in 10 minutes and I spent 5 blissful hours in Cavala

Started an ownership thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ara-2-4-a.html (Grand Vitara 2.4)