Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 2nd January 2010, 22:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default My Experience at Spectra Motors (Maruti)

Hi all,

First of all a very happy new year to everyone out here. I will not write long story as I am really not good at it and just want to share my experience with how a A.S.S changes after the dealership starts making profits and how your years of ownership of the model and brand loyalty changes in a jiffy.

As most of you know, I have a 05 model Zen and for the last couple of weeks, the front left side seat belt had developed some glitch and wasn't getting locked and due to which I was avoiding driving the car with my car as my co-passenger. All of a sudden, the front left side door and also the ac gave away. I first took the car to Laxmi cars (another maruti A.S.S in Thane district) and it started with a long wait (they start at 9.30 AM; I was the first customer) and was attended only after 45 minutes. They checked everything and declared that the parts are not in stock (seat belt and door mechanism). I thought, okay; its certainly not a running item so please order for me. Its been 3 weeks of chasing them and the parts are still not in stock. They had the courtesy to tell me that please do not call me, we'll call when the part is in stock. I am pretty sure that they still haven't ordered it as it may not give them that "profit margin".

Since my car's insurance is due and I always get it done from Spectra, I finally took my car today to spectra motors to get this fixed and also get the insurance renewed. Their timings are 9AM -8 PM (I think, 8 PM for sure). I went their exactly at 4.00 PM and was told very rudely that they won't accept my car as I should have come in the morning. I requested them to atleast have a look at the car and had to literally beg t he receptionist there to arrange for someone to look at the car. I was told that you first finish your insurance work and we'll try to see if we can arrange for some to inspect your car.

45 mins later, still no sign of any advisor attending to me (I when had walked in the a.s.s had requested them to open a Job card for me), then they randomly arranged for someone to come to me and see the car. He came, he saw the seat belt barged into the lobby and declared that this would take atleast an hour and he's not gonna do it and disappeared. Search for another one continued. All this while, an advisor who was sitting there took charge (he had attended to my car many a times earlier) and said that he cannot accept my car as he belongs to another group (they have groups to work on cars) but will atleast see the car and open a JC for me. With this I moved with him to the car, he checked all the items, and checked with stores too if the parts are in stock (which they weren't), so I requested him if they could order the stocks for me and do the needful. He said he'll try. Again after some minutes, he opened a JC for me with another advisor's name in it and completed the necessary formalities...

My car is with them right now and I am expecting a call from them tomorrow to tell me the damage. I am a regular customer of spectra motors and just didn't visit them for the last 6 months and when I walked in, I wasn't attended to as I was a "New" customer for them (as announced by the receptionist).

All I need to say is, Maruti has lost a loyal cutomer. when I buy a new car later this year, it might not be a MSIL product. I don't need shoddy service when I am spending 5-6 lakhs on a car.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 03:45   #2
BHPian

Write to Maruti. Maruti Suzuki: Maruti800, Alto, Zen, WagonR, Versa, Esteem, Baleno,Grand Vitara, Gypsy, Finance, Insurance, Accessories, TrueValue, Fleet Management Solutions
It really works. On two instances I had service centers spring into action after I wrote to Maruti about my issues.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 06:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Its just a dealership issue man. Chill.

Find a dealership esp those with a 24x7 operation. Leave your car anytime - will get attended for minor jobs through the night! Me totally likes.

And approaching the GMs (they sit next to the reception) ensures things get moving.

PLEASE treat the lower level service advisors as scum if they treat you such. I've realized over time that sometimes treating some people decently just doesn't work. Give people the treatment they deserve. Its YOUR money that feeds them!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 16:33   #4
BHPian

Is it Spectra Motors , Borivali? If so, then i would say yes i do not have very pleasant experience with them.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 16:47   #5
BHPian

Hey calm down. I have no experience with spectra motores. but I always give my car ( zen ) at chammunda motors or at sai services, at sai services you have night services also please call them and fixed an appointment and then proceed. But if you give you car at Chammunda motors, then there is a guy name Tawde, he the best there. My car is handelled by him always.

uday
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 14:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Sorry for the late response. I was busy handling 2 attrition cases in office so could not respond earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Write to Maruti. Maruti Suzuki: Maruti800, Alto, Zen, WagonR, Versa, Esteem, Baleno,Grand Vitara, Gypsy, Finance, Insurance, Accessories, TrueValue, Fleet Management Solutions
It really works. On two instances I had service centers spring into action after I wrote to Maruti about my issues.
I used to do this always whenever I had any issues. However, this did not work this time. Plus the problem is mine is 2005 zen which has no mention on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its just a dealership issue man. Chill.

And approaching the GMs (they sit next to the reception) ensures things get moving.

PLEASE treat the lower level service advisors as scum if they treat you such. I've realized over time that sometimes treating some people decently just doesn't work. Give people the treatment they deserve. Its YOUR money that feeds them!
Hey Hitanshu, I have started doing that lately. What I did not like is that fact that they called me a "new customer" when I have been visiting them for the past 4.5 years and treated me that way. So far, my experience tells me that the services of maruti are detoriating day by day as the number of cars are increasing. Spectra is one of the biggest Maruti dealers (A.S.S) in Mumbai area and they have started throwing temper tantrums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Is it Spectra Motors , Borivali? If so, then i would say yes i do not have very pleasant experience with them.
Yes. You are right. Care to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Hey calm down. I have no experience with spectra motores. but I always give my car ( zen ) at chammunda motors or at sai services, at sai services you have night services also please call them and fixed an appointment and then proceed. But if you give you car at Chammunda motors, then there is a guy name Tawde, he the best there. My car is handelled by him always.

uday
Sai Service borivali? or the one at Andheri? I stay at Mira Road and Andheri becomes a little difficult if I consider service as I do not have a back up car.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hi all,
As most of you know, I have a 05 model Zen a

They checked everything and declared that the parts are not in stock (seat belt and door mechanism).

Its been 3 weeks of chasing them and the parts are still not in stock.
What?! The largest service network of India doesn't have parts in stock for a very common car? and they can't procure it even in 3 weeks? Is this happening because the Old Zen is no longer in production now or is it only that service center?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 15:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
What?! The largest service network of India doesn't have parts in stock for a very common car? and they can't procure it even in 3 weeks? Is this happening because the Old Zen is no longer in production now or is it only that service center?
Its because old (and face lifted Zen) have been discontinued. I had started facing issues 2 years after it was discontinued (2007) and my car is running without a Window bead (near the driver's window) for the past 1 year. Just to add to the woes, I have been advised both by Spectra motors and Laxmi cars (both Maruti A.S.S.) to scout for a Wheel rim in the second hand market as they do not have stock and even if they order, they cannot guarantee when it would come!

And too add insult to the injury, my car is right now at "Carnation" who confirmed that my car's AC was tampered with and hence it was not working. I have never taken my car to any roadside mechanic but only Maruti A.S.S. One quoted me 6,000 INR for the work and the other 9,000 INR for the same work.

I am still waiting for a final report from Carnation as my car is with them since yesterday.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its because old (and face lifted Zen) have been discontinued. I had started facing issues 2 years after it was discontinued (2007) and my car is running without a Window bead (near the driver's window) for the past 1 year. Just to add to the woes, I have been advised both by Spectra motors and Laxmi cars (both Maruti A.S.S.) to scout for a Wheel rim in the second hand market as they do not have stock and even if they order, they cannot guarantee when it would come!
Never thought this would happen to a phased out model from Maruti, that too after a couple of years.

People are flaming Fiat for difficulty in part availability of older Palios/Petras. Now I know it can even happen with Maruti. Anyway, I think sourcing Maruti parts for a phased out car won't be a very big problem ever. Luckily, we never faced any parts problem with our 98 Zen until we sold it few months back.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th January 2010 at 15:52.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 16:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Never thought this would happen to a phased out model from Maruti, that too after a couple of years.

People are flaming Fiat for difficulty in part availability of older Palios/Petras. Now I know it can even happen with Maruti. Anyway, I think sourcing Maruti parts for a phased out car won't be a very big problem ever. Luckily, we never faced any parts problem with our 98 Zen until we sold it few months back.
Clevermax, the problem is these are not daily running items. Window strip is something that an be pulled out by a school kid (like the monograms) else it remains in shape till the last day of your car!

Rims, I agree should be kept in stock as I believe even Alto, 800 and Omni run on the same size (12 inches). Not too sure if the specifications are different.

Over a period of time, I can summarize Maruti to be a Large IT company which is a dream destination for all freshers. Its only after you have joined it, you know where you are!
Old 12th January 2010, 17:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just an update:

Carnation called me and informed me that they have completed the work already on the car. I should curse them right? For completing the work on my car, without my permission!

I did not as they have confirmed everything is in place and the only thing gone bad was Gas. They refilled it, and its working fine. I had asked them for a couple of more things, which they have worked on and completed.

Quote from Spectra - INR 9,000 (For only AC work)
Quote from Laxmi cars - INR 6,000 (For only AC work)
Invoice from Carnation - INR 3,000 (For AC and some misc stuff - Wheel Rim etc)

I would give them 6 out of 10. Why 6? They took 2 days to fix the issue (as their gas pump or something was not working).

All in all, I think I would stay where Jagdish Khattar is. My respect for him is now increased. Thank you JK
Old 19th January 2010, 13:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Sai Service borivali? or the one at Andheri? I stay at Mira Road and Andheri becomes a little difficult if I consider service as I do not have a back up car.
AFAIK Sai service has only a showroom at Andheri.

We have been servicing our 2000 make M 800 at Sai Service Borivali for the last 4-5 years. We haven't had any major issues with them. We are attended to within 15-20 minutes even if we walk in without appointments. But yes, with increasing number of cars, the service is not what it used to be earlier.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And too add insult to the injury, my car is right now at "Carnation" who confirmed that my car's AC was tampered with and hence it was not working. I have never taken my car to any roadside mechanic but only Maruti A.S.S. One quoted me 6,000 INR for the work and the other 9,000 INR for the same work.

I am still waiting for a final report from Carnation as my car is with them since yesterday.
Wheel rims are a problem. I had needed a replacement wheel rim for my M800 and the local MASS told me the supplies could not be guaranteed. I procured it from a local parts shop.

You could try the Spectra workshop at Malad, I have had good experience with them.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Wheel rims are a problem. I had needed a replacement wheel rim for my M800 and the local MASS told me the supplies could not be guaranteed. I procured it from a local parts shop.

You could try the Spectra workshop at Malad, I have had good experience with them.
Spectra at Malad is an extension counter of the one at Borivali. Btw, I have procured a brand new steel rim from Carnation and to top it all, I got in one day flat.
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

I believe it should be the other way round. I remember the Spectra service centre at Malad was there much before they opened shop at Borivali. I remember one of the Malad guys telling me they now have a service centre opened at Borivali as well.

I have had a few occasions where I tried to approach the same SA who attended my car last time (as I prefer to deal with the same person over and again), and he redirected me to another SA because he had other appointments. But all the people I was attended by (about 4 to 5 of them in all) at different times knew their job good. And in case you are having any trouble you can always contact the service manager who should be available there.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote