Average 3 37.50%
Seen Worse 0 0%
Bad 6 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th January 2010, 10:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Rate your T.A.S.S. : Kulathunkal Motors, Trivandrum, Kerala

Kulathungal Motors, Trivandrum

I am their customer from March 13th 2008 coz I bought a Tata Safari 2.2L EX.

+ ves

Their sales team is good.
They had helped me get a loan within 36 hours from SBT.
They have called me for insurance renewal during the right time (but I had opted for HDFC one as I got a better quote)
They have two TASS at Trivandrum, one near to my office and one near to my home. The one near to my office is on the Bye-pass Road ( Trivandrum -Airport/Kovalam Bye-pass)
They have drop facility and hence saves time.
Management is friendly and like to promote cars/user feedback about cars.
Service area is neat and one of the most modern one around.
Good paint job.
Dont charge you for small issues

-ves

Issue/delay in procuring parts.
No follow up for procuring.
Some Service Advisers are dumbs ( will go into detail later)
Not pro-active
Bad wash service (?)

My feedback is primarily based on my experience. Will try to post feedback info I get from people I know and who are not in TBHP.

Issues:

1) I had given my Safari at Kulathungal for checking some noise at front when going over small pot holes/ humps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1566734-post571.html

Time taken: Two days!

Result: Issue fixed but I lost stopping power ! It was very scary when you brake from high speeds. I had to take an extra hour to do the same route I do every weekend coz of this.

Being a weekend I take the Safari back to TASS after I returned to TVM.

Conversation with SA :

SA: When was the brake pads changed?
Me: Some 5k back
SA: Oh, no wonder,its might be a bit worn now and hence now less braking !
Me: WT*, It was braking great till two days ago when I gave it to you

I call the sweet receptionist and asks her to take me to CRM. The dude is new (the old guy who used to know me had quit ) but is upset that I had a bad feedback.

He does some ride with his at the wheels after he had the Safari tested by QA or so. He finds the braking ok but on my insistence gets it in. Sometime later he gets it back and says they didn't do anything other than 'bleed' it. I drove and I was very happy. // This shouldn't have happened in the first place, I wasted precious hours during my working time //

1a) They also do a wash of my Safari without even asking me.

Result: They charge you 360 Rs but the boot is messed up and I have sand all over my boot area.

This also included in my complain to the CRM but even after his intervention and me waiting for 2 hours, they didnt clean it !

My Rating: 2.5/5

Why they lost rating:

A) Wasting my time
B) Inability to fix an issue at one go or issue reappearing with 10 days or withing a few hundred kilometers.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 10:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

How do I vote? It looks little confusing.. Should I check all the boxes which I feel they are doing a good job?
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 10:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Ok, I dont own a TATA/FIAT so have so experience with T A S S, but i do have one with kulathungal, Here it goes.

My friend was looking for a wagon R and his best bud is the HR manager at kulathungal, He informed us that there are 3 Wagon R in their yard which came through customer exchange, I wanted to test drive the new safari dicor 4x4 so i went there along with my friend.

The day manza was being launched so i must admit there was a commotion, We wen there to his friends cabin and he calls some people and tells them to show us the Wagon r and give me a test drive, the dude who was appointed for the test drive immediately disappears, and the used car guy shows up. He takes us to the yard and immediately catches a wall there and starts peeing. Both of us were disgusted, well at lest we came there to see the cars.

We are already upset to the kind of treatment we went through and he starts taking as if we are some college kids just for a look, he proudly says.
We will not negotiate a single rupee and all these are sold at cost or may be +2-3K profit, We immediately left the place saying we are not interested and call this HR mannager guy and gave a very nasty feedback of the entire experience.

I might be wrong, but these people have lately started throwing a lot of weight around and i feel they have outgrown their humble shoes.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 10:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
How do I vote? It looks little confusing.. Should I check all the boxes which I feel they are doing a good job?
have asked mods to help. It didnt work the way I wanted :(

Can you post your experience with them when you took your Palio for service.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

My experience. My car has been serviced at kulathunkal alone.
They have two locations, one at the NH bypass tollgate, and another at Kuravankonam, where i believe their paint booth/body shop are.

Sales wise, My rating is neutral 2.5/5
In my case, my interaction with them was limited to going to their dealership, saying that I wanted one Indica turbo, and them saying they would deliver in 2 weeks. In the end, it took over a month. You'd think you'd get a white indica soon enough.
A friend bought a xeta from them ( i was involved in the buying process). they made us wait a whole day, but offered a free teflon coat + LHS ORVM to compensate when we threatened to give them a negative rating in the feedback form. My friend's dad also found a few thousands they had not accounted for in the Price of the vehicle. they said they could refund it , but not as cash, but acessories. A friend of mine was seriously considering a manza. we were told that there were no vehicle available for TD till for a few days afterwards. And we saw the same vehicle going for a TD and back, later that day. So much for honesty

Service : technical- bad. Thankfully, I've not had any serious issues due to regular preventive maintenance. However, After service, they always manage to mess something up. Forget the toolkit, hook up an indicator, horn or headlight, or in one case, install a torn air filter. If i mention a generic complaint, they will just say that it has been fixed, and that they have done something to some component ( and i mean they will say 'some' component , now which one).And if something goes wrong, the advisors, reception staff have to run around the mechs while apologizing to us for the delay. This is worse at their kuravankonam location. I would rate 1/5

Service : washing is fairly good. I would give a 4/5. But then again, I could go to my neighbourhood car wash for that, and get it done cheaper. And you get drip pattern from the plastic cladding from the spray you apply on plastic trim. this collects dust and becomes grime eventually.

Service advisor knowlege is average.(2.5/5) Thanks to Team bhp and the indica user group, I've not needed to rely much on this. There are one or two good advisors there, but they are in much demand, and probably will not get assigned to you unless you insist on them.

Paint job is below average. I'd rate .5/5 after some major bodywork, i got my car returned with paint all over the interiors. spray on the horns, dasbboard, doorpads, gearknob, centre console, sun film damaged due to what appeared to be rubbing with thinner. the window glasses and the rest of the paint which did not need to be painted had a rough overspray. After I shouted at them, they did undo most of the stuff. But some still remains

Other Small things
Extended warranty is not cashless here. You have to pay up front. they will refund you only when they recieve payment from the insurance company.
They will not let you use your own oil. And the oil they use is not THAT great.
They offer other goodies such as trips to movies, amusement parks etc for the family. I'm not too interested in these things. I'm interested in a fully functional car
They prefer cheap temporary fixes rather than the comprehensive fix. I suppose you cant blame them, since the typical indica owner seems to prefer this.
Reception/Front office staff will bend over backwards to make you happy. but since they don't seem to be empowered much, all they can do is apologize, and grovel some more.
Expenses are cheap. They dont overcharge, and dont insist on the crap other dealerships try to push you, such as flushes and additives
Overall, Dealing with them is a harrowing experience. Pity there isn't much choice here , apart from focuz.
On the whole , they do seem to trying to make the customer happy and providing cheap service , but seem to be woefully short of staff, especially the skilled kind.
Plus I've been told by my friends who have actually worked there that the work environment there kinda sucks, and they leave as soon as they get enough experience to get a job elsewhere.
My rating 2/5 (below average)

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th January 2010 at 11:07.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here goes my rating

Sales : 3.5

Service, Technical : 2.5

Service, Washing : 1

Service Adviser Knowledge : 3

Paint job : N/a

Service Feedback (Scheduled services ): 2

Overall: 2.5

Once I had to take my car out without washing because the area was infested by Indicas, hence the rating of 1.

There are some guys who has good technical know-how but everything seem to happen in a hasty manner.

Once I called up Fiat First and the Kulathunkal guys came driving 80 Kms to my door step to repair my Palio - deserves special mention

During last service I told the service engineer NOT to do a wheel alignment during the service, but they did it. No issues though.

They returned the Punto within 10 minutes after inspecting and correcting the steering pump noise and did not charge anything. They even gave 1L of fluid for free.

Sourcing parts takes about 1 or two weeks. But eventually they get it.

Senior people in the sales team are reasonable folks to talk with, but you may have to talk to them to get things moving.

I once ordered a motorized headlamp for my Palio 1.2. I specifically told them few times to get the motorized one. They sourced a non-motorized one and I had to fit that in my car. After inspecting the headlamp, I could sense that it doesn't have motor, and I told the service guy. He is trying to convince me that it is in fact motorized and there could be some wiring problem - I hate this attitude to the core (Assuming that customers do not know much about internals of cars)

EDIT: The service department is having serious resource/space crunch - considering the fact that now Fiats are also selling in few numbers.

PS: Not voting now. Jk, please get the poll options changed

Last edited by clevermax : 18th January 2010 at 11:16.
Old 18th January 2010, 21:25   #7
BHPian

Mine

Sales : 4

Service, Technical : 2.5

Service, Washing : 3.5

Service Adviser Knowledge : 3

Paint job : N/a

Service Feedback (Scheduled services ): 2

Overall: 2.75

Buying was a good experience (Binu was my sales guy) . He was well informed and is a nice person to deal with .Technical knowledge is medium. They are not ready to divulge information about the issue if the customer is an ordinary car owner. But if u insist they can give more details. Washing was good for my 1st service. Service advisors knowledge is strictly average. They had filled up some extra engine oil during 1st service. So i will give only a 2 there.

Main issues that i find there

Infrastructure lacks in quantity . With more cars coming in these days they are in a tight position. I hope they will get more people soon.

Mostly SA has to attend a car every 10 minutes. This should be increased to 20 mins atleast.

Also please increases the number of SA's for FIAT. Its only 1 or 2 now
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 11:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Buying was a good experience (Binu was my sales guy) . He was well informed and is a nice person to deal with .
True. I had two buying experiences from Kulathunkal. One is the Punto and the other a Linea for my co-brother. Binu dealt with me during the Linea purchase and there were no issues, the car was delivered on the promised date itself, 8 Kms on the odo. One minor issue was they messed up with the paper work during delivery, accidentally gave someone else's insurance papers to me! I figured it out then and there itself and it was taken care of.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support:

The poll has been edited to make it simpler.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 19:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice Poll JK. But still not sure how to use it. I have Chosen Both Average and Bad.

Average for
- Sales Team
- Infrastructure
- Technical Knowledge
- Washing
- Management Attitude
- Timeliness

Bad
- Service Commitment
- Team Work
- Parts Stock/Sourcing
These things could not be anything other than REAL BAD.

Detailed Review coming up later.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 19:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

jk, i believe the name is Kulathunkal
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 21:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ok Here is my detailed review.

Infrastructure.- They claim they are the best service centre in South India. And to a certain extent they might be right. The service facility at the bye-pass road is really modern, large and clean. I dont think we would see such a good facility for any dealer at least in this town or even state. So 5/5 for that part.

Customer Friendliness - I have experience giving my FIAT only so dont know about the TATA guys. One particular FIAT guy is very customer friendly and has got some genuine interest in giving the customer minimum hassles during a service. However this is not backed up with even average team work from others involved. One thing i like about his guy is that he is willing to agree about what he does not really know. I make it a point to give my car only to him since i have heard not so good stories about cars given to other people. So here 3/5 for this part with 2 points adding up just for this one guy.

Technical Knowledge - Again i know only about people dealing in FIAT. I would say not up to the standards. I had a missing issue and had to literally rip apart components in the engine compartment before it could be solved. Its just a trial and error method before you strike gold!! Here again there are a few people who are genuinely interesting in sorting issues but with very little technical knowledge to exactly identify the problem seeing the symptom. Maybe 2/5 for this with 1 point added just for a few mechanics who genuinely try their best.

Parts Availability and Procurement - I waited for 8 months before i went on and wrote a mail to mangesh kodalkar of fiat when i wanted to replace my headlight assembly due to vapour formation. Mangesh was able to sent me the light in a weeks time. Something he service centre could not do over a period of 8 months. I waited for over a month for my clutch kit to arrive and then escalated it with the MD who found out that the part was not even ordered!! He made it available in 10 days. My friend has been pestering the spares guy for an "O" of "Palio" (the letter 'O'). IIRC its been more than 5 months and he is yet to hear about it. Another friend of mine needed a fuel pump replacement for his stile 1.1. Luckily parts were available. He later lost his fuel tank cap (the one you turn open to pour petrol) . He again got lucky. One piece as available. Now a friend of mine has been waiting over 1 and 1/2 weeks for a MJD fuel pump that the service guys told was available when he gave the car for service. He gets a call in the evening to be told that the pump has to be ordered. After a week he finds that there has been some issue in the ordering part and the part has to be ordered again. Let me see...maybe 1/5 just for the times you get lucky.

JK. I think the poll needs to change. Its confusing.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote