Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 30th September 2010, 23:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Read my opening post of this thread and keep that Sales guy in mind when reading the paragraph below.

Me and wifey walk in to the Chembur showroom of VW on Tuesday evening to TD the Polo and the Vento. We are attended by a girl who is not well versed in the art of conversation but she tries hard and sweetly too - all is well.

We are explained the features of both cars and given time to sit in the car and soak in the car. Test drive time then...my license is photo-copied and we are informed that no Polo is available for a TD but the Vento is - in diesel and petrol AT avtaar. I choose the diesel to go with first...

The car is inside the Bezzolla complex and we walk towards it. I get a phone call while my wife waits to get into the car but there is a sales exec sitting in the car yakking away on the phone - he doesn't budge from the car even after he has seen a girl waiting to get in. Only when I walk towards the car, he gets down and walks away.

We take a TD - a short one just about 1.5 km - since the car was not registered. :(

As we finish the TD, i tell the Sales lady I want to TD the Petrol AT too. She agrees and goes in to get the keys.

10 minutes on, there is no sign of her. I get irritated and plan to walk off but she appears with a sales guy. I am on the phone and I see him say something to my wife. Her expression changes from irritation to outright anger. I hang up and walk towards them.

Me - whats the issue ?
SR - We can't give you a TD of the petrol.
Me - Why ?
SR - We give a TD of only one car to everyone.
Me - what ? I have never heard of this kind of thing anywhere.
SR - Its a company policy Sir. Else people will come and take TD of all cars without buying anything.
I was pissed.

Me - I would love to confirm this shitty and silly company policy with VW guys. Let me mail them and check.

SR is now flustered and asks the lady to give me a TD.

During the TD I realise he is the same guy , Manson and me had encountered in Nerul.

As soon as the TD was over, I insisted on talking to the VW guys immediately.

The manager is informed by the lady and he comes out being cordial and friendly and smiley. Starts asking me how I liked the car and mundane stuff like that.

I cut him off and explain the issue to him - he starts off on a tangent about the car again. I get him back on line.

Within a minute or 2, he agains starts rambling about how I should TD the Vento 1.6 manual - I simply cut him off and ask him whether anything will be done about the issue I have explained.

He promised to take care of it. I told him I wanted a feedback either by mail or phone on what action has been taken.

The sales rep's name is Mr Hitesh Lulla - BEWARE of HIM guys.

I will wait till tomorrow evening before I mail VW.

I am not going to buy a VW car from these guys. The whole experience was PATHETIC again.

VW better look into this asap or they will lose customers. Add to it 3 months waiting on all models.

After that I drove to Asset Hyundai and got a 5 star experience at the showroom. That's another thread.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 23:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We take a TD - a short one just about 1.5 km - since the car was not registered. :(
That is the case everywhere with VW. Even at the Prabhadevi showroom, they let you drive just around the block at 40 kmph and back to the showroom. Again the reason being the car not registered.

I've said it before in the other dealership experience thread and I'll say it again. VW better watch out.

Quote:
Me - whats the issue ?
Me - Why ?
SR - We give a TD of only one car to everyone.
Me - what ? I have never heard of this kind of thing anywhere.
SR - Its a company policy Sir. Else people will come and take TD of all cars without buying anything.
I was pissed.
I really dont know if I should laugh or be pissed seriously

Last edited by Dippy : 30th September 2010 at 23:53.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 23:59   #18
BHPian

The best experience i had was with VW Mumbai West(santacruz branch), they allowed me to TD both petrol and diesel Vento without any fuss. Pushed both the cars under hard accleration and braking no one had a fuss about it. Overall a good experience.

Only negative part was that they did not had any polo for TD.

Would recommend this dealership.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 02:20   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The sales rep's name is Mr Hitesh Lulla - BEWARE of HIM guys.
How can these people not realise how amazingly stupid they sound?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 07:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Surprisingly my visit to VW, Thane was a pretty good one. I just could not resist stopping my car to have a closer look at the Beetle standing in the porch outside the Thane showroom. Even my son was pretty curious as to why is this called a Bug.

When we stepped in the showroom, I made it clear that I just wanted to have a look at the bug and no intentions of buying any VW car. Even then the sales rep smilingly took me on the Beetle tour with my son sitting at the wheel and saying that since this is a small car he should have one. . No further questions asked by sales guy, no promotional stuff. A simple smile plastered on his face.

@normally_crazy - Why dont you have a go at this show room and see if this changes your frown to a smile.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 09:48   #21
BHPian

Have got to agree with you N_C, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.
I'm keen on the Polo 1.6 and am trying to figure out which dealer in Mumbai can deliver it to me the fastest - so called them all up this morning.

The lady that answered the phone at VW Navi Mumbai told me that VW has DISCONTINUED the Polo 1.6!

I'm sure that can't be true - VW isnt going to sell a couple of 100 or 100 1.6s around the country and then decide to pull the plug on it.

Also, the Navi Mumbai and Chembur dealerships are both owned by the same group - KSM. Explains why your favourite salesman was there to ruin your experience at both places. I'm PMing you the contact details for someone senior in VW marketing - suggest you communicate your grievance to him. VW dealerships and some of their staff seem to be diluting the effect of their advertising blitz.

P.S: A 'senior' sales consultant at VW downtown insists that the 1.6 engine in the Polo and the Vento has a turbo. The 1.6 Tsi!

Last edited by swale84 : 1st October 2010 at 09:50. Reason: added P.S
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 10:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

KSM Motors owns boths the Navi Mumbai and Chembur VW showrooms. Hence the experience would be similar in both.

I wasn't too happy with them either as my Vento was delivered with a stain on the back seat and interiors weren't cleaned well enough. Also the TR plates were not made, they just stuck two really shabby papers with the number written on the windscreens.
Also, I was speaking directly with one of the showroom owners/partners and he too was horribly unorganized albeit he did get me the first automatic car they delivered but that was without numerous delays, phonecalls and booking amount given well in advance !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 10:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Also the way the word "GERMAN" is used every 4 words in a sentence clearly suggests that they are trying to build an aura around the car.

It is so irritating and ridiculous.

Swale - I am also looking at the Polo 1.6 - if we book togather they might get the cars earlier what say ?
Old 1st October 2010, 10:21   #24
BHPian

my experience with VW downtown, prabhadevi has been pathetic ! however, i had made a call to the santacruz one for checking on the waiting period. The SR who attended my call was Rahul. I was told the wait period was 3-4 months, however took my contact details, color and variant of the car i was looking for.
After couple of weeks i did receive a call from rahul mentioning that there was a White Trendline polo whos booking was cancelled and can be delivered to me by Daserra. I was stunned and asked, "Are you sure?" his reply to that was positive and only if i did my booking the same day. I couldnt book since i wasnt in town, however have asked him to wait till saturday. To this he said. "ok, will hold on to the car till saturday."

Reading this thread really gets me into two minds now, as i am yet to exp the A.S.S of VW. Really not sure if i should go for polo or not !!

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 1st October 2010 at 10:23.
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 12:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Swale - I am also looking at the Polo 1.6 - if we book togather they might get the cars earlier what say ?
Sure, lets do that - maybe even ask for a 'goodwill' discount. Although, considering how pricey they are about test drives, mentioning a discount will probably have us laughed at.

Someone from the Prabhadevi showroom is supposed to call me on Monday with details about when their next batch is expected, will call you and update you. Right now 3-4 months seems to be the standard answer they all give. (except of course the illustrious people at KSM navi mumbai.

When are you planning on booking btw?
Old 1st October 2010, 14:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Immediately after reading Swale's post I mailed the person at VW (thanks Swale) - got a call from Mr Deo within 2 hours. The guys at VW had spoken to KSM and asked them to sort things out. Apparently the SR has been spoken to and I have been assured that such things will not be repeated. I hope they do not do it to anyone else.

Mr Deo wanted to sweeten things up and asked me how he could help to improve things between a prospective customer and them - I asked for a TD of the Polo 1.6 - and seems VW have not provided a 1.6 Polo TD car.

Back to square one - how can VW expect me to plonk 7 large ones on a car without a TD ?

The waiting period is 2 months for the 1.6 as confirmed by Mr Deo and 3 months for any Vento variant.

Sigh ! My VW dream has almost ended.
Old 1st October 2010, 15:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

NC would you still want to take the risk and buy a VW? I d strongly suggest you look elsewhere.
I d rather have a rattly Maruti/Hyndai/TATA/M&M with a reputed A** than a solidly built car with a rogue dealer and ignorant A**.
You could check the Etios out too, once it is out.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 15:20   #28
BHPian

Glad the contact helped out, do let me know if they do end up offering you a TD, I would love to come along.

Well, two months sounds better than 3 to 4! Delivery could be a deal breaker for me as well - but what other options do we have for a 'hot hatch'?
Old 1st October 2010, 15:56   #29
BANNED

NC knows a trick or 2, he has owned a Skoda . Coming back to VW, looks like they are busy with business in TOI office rather than their being concerned about their office. No wonder the junior staff are running amuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
NC would you still want to take the risk and buy a VW? I d strongly suggest you look elsewhere.
Actually its a good thing. There is always the trusted Jazz
Quote:
Sigh ! My VW dream has almost ended.

Last edited by diabloo : 1st October 2010 at 15:57.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 16:36   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also the way the word "GERMAN" is used every 4 words in a sentence clearly suggests that they are trying to build an aura around the car.

It is so irritating and ridiculous.
That could so easily backfire on them. "German" as in "not Indian"? Imagine trying to sell cars to the Germans with a selling point that the car was not of their country
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote