Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2010, 12:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Samyak,

Here is a website that decodes VolksWagen group VIN's:

AUDI, VOLKSWAGEN, SKODA, SEAT. ETKA VIN Decoder. VIN DECODING.

They tell you the exact production date of the particular VIN (chassis no.) and some other interesting details e.g. engine no, engine type, Country approval, etc.

When I went to PDI my Laura 1.8Tsi, the sales guy enthusiastically told me it was a 2010 car and they would mention the same on RTO papers (so that my resale value was protected). I showed them the decoded data from the VIN which mentioned that it was a car manufactured on 31st August 2009. It simply helped me to shut him up - I did not mind a 2009 made car at all - I knew Laura Tsi is an enthusiast's version with limited sales and the CKD's would be a few months older by the time they reach the indian factory and eventually to the customer...

Here is the link for details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1709104 (Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars)

You can also get some very good advice from fellow BHPean @wildon who sort of monitors this thread and helps out.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:21   #32
BHPian

thanks a lot buddy

this will help me with the laura i am just about to buy.
yes, inspite of the horror stories about skoda, i am still going for the laura as i have absolutely no other option in that price bracket.

chevy cruze handles horrible. and with about 100 kms of highway driving everyday, i don't want to take a chance with it...
Old 18th May 2010, 15:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Wow...congrats.
Laura is a fantastic car - I love the steering feel, accuracy, chassis balance, and of course the fabulous torque of the Tsi...

Hope you are buying the Tsi.

Be watchful throughout the deal - Skoda dealers try and provide the insurance through Volkswagen Finance Company as the intermediatary and they are notorious for overcharging...if you are selling your old car, make sure that they give you full benifit of the NCB + exisiting discount, etc...in my case they tried to rob me of my discount and I had to really force them to comply.

Beware of "Skoda Assure" - this is additional loading for 100% coverage of glass and plastic parts...Tata AIG quote was almost 1/3rd and I finally got the refund for the amount the dealer had overcharged in the invoice.

From my experience - there are a lot of grey areas in the commercial matters of the Volkswagen/Skoda group...they appear to be a morally and ethically challenged lot.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:04   #34
BHPian

no buddy

going for the diesel. can't afford a petrol car with a minimum run of 100 kms a day.

i have my own agencies for finance and insurance, so not worried about that.
and the dealership in indore won't take "pangas" with me for sure. being an auto-consultant here, i am able to move around 20-30 cars for them each year. they know, if they do any hanky-panky stuff with me, they will be in deep trouble.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

i have my own agencies for finance and insurance, so not worried about that.
and the dealership in indore won't take "pangas" with me for sure. being an auto-consultant here, i am able to move around 20-30 cars for them each year. they know, if they do any hanky-panky stuff with me, they will be in deep trouble.
Wow...and still they fooled your friend?
Old 19th May 2010, 13:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow...and still they fooled your friend?
Maybe Samyak entered the scene late and dealer/VW were caught with their pants down . This could also explain why the issue was resolved within no time when our friend here took up the cudgel
Old 19th May 2010, 14:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Maybe Samyak entered the scene late and dealer/VW were caught with their pants down . This could also explain why the issue was resolved within no time when our friend here took up the cudgel
In that case Harish should get in touch with Samyak ASAP.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
In that case Harish should get in touch with Samyak ASAP.
Brilliant! What an idea sirji

But would a manufacturer (read Skoda) devoid of ethics, respect Samyak's capabilities? I mean, if Harish was in Indore, I am sure Skoda had no choice but to immediately resolve his issue.

Maybe the action item is on Harish - look for a professionally macho auto consultant in his city and bring him in the scene to catch Skoda with its pants and what nots down

PS - I have a feeling this joke wouldn't be available for a long time on this thread ;-)
Old 19th May 2010, 14:42   #39
BHPian

@anand
boss indore mein chalti hai, india level will take time.

and by my own agencies i meant that there are quiet a few people in different banks & insurance companies who would want to strike a deal with me only because of the quantum generated.

their monthly sales targets are easily met even after passing on major discounts to the customers. that ways i think i am safe when it comes to finance and insurance. the dealership would not try anything funny with me for the same reason. number of vehicles sold via 7th Gear (i.e my company)

and yes, +1 alok, i was involved only a few days ago.
but the dealership sobered up not only because of me, but they sobered up probably because of my threats of going online on t-bhp and exposing them as another volkswagen group's fraud dealership. probably that might have caught Volkswagen Group's attention and they must have asked the dealer to do whatever they can.
and to add to that, a legal notice was served to the dealership, hence the quick response.

OT:: alok i noticed that your signature says RX125(1976), did u mean rx135 (1996)??
don't remember any rx 125 at all.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:44   #40
BHPian

@alok

now i am smelling some heavy doze of sarcasm.

and just to make onething clear, i wouldnt have been able to do anything with Skoda Auto, but with a dealership it's a different case altogether.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 19th May 2010 at 14:48.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
@alok

now i am smelling some heavy doze of sarcasm.
Arre dil par mat le yaar - its a joke

Quote:
OT:: alok i noticed that your signature says RX125(1976), did u mean rx135 (1996)??
That's right, not most of us would not have seen an RX125 - this was a Japan manufactured bike which was manufactured in 1976 and came with 5 gears and factory fitted front disks. It was brought to Yamaha's India factory only for R&D. Had purchased it from Yamaha India in an auction through a friend in 2001.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 19th May 2010 at 15:12.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@anand
boss indore mein chalti hai, india level will take time.

and by my own agencies i meant that there are quiet a few people in different banks & insurance companies who would want to strike a deal with me only because of the quantum generated.

their monthly sales targets are easily met even after passing on major discounts to the customers. that ways i think i am safe when it comes to finance and insurance. the dealership would not try anything funny with me for the same reason. number of vehicles sold via 7th Gear (i.e my company)

and yes, +1 alok, i was involved only a few days ago.
but the dealership sobered up not only because of me, but they sobered up probably because of my threats of going online on t-bhp and exposing them as another volkswagen group's fraud dealership. probably that might have caught Volkswagen Group's attention and they must have asked the dealer to do whatever they can.
and to add to that, a legal notice was served to the dealership, hence the quick response.

OK.
Very nice name - 7'th Gear.
Dreaming of DSG when you formed the company?
Old 21st May 2010, 11:44   #43
BHPian

@anand
thanks buddy.

wasnt thinking of DSG that time. DSG i got to know after a year or so

Last edited by samyakmodi : 21st May 2010 at 11:48.
Old 1st June 2010, 11:50   #44
BHPian

A request to the moderators.

Kindly close and delete this thread as a new vehicle has been given to my friend by the dealership.
Old 1st June 2010, 15:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support:

Since the matter has been resolved, this thread is being closed on request of the thread starter
Closed Thread