Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 25th June 2010, 01:05   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not happy at all to see this thread. I've had polo/micra/polo/micra/hey-1.6-polo! going on in my head for a few weeks. I've tried to put aside the thought that Skoda and VW are the same group, and I've tried not to think about the situation that nobody is getting committed delivery dates, and then, for many, delivery turns out to be, hey, sometime, maybe. Don't know how long I can discount all this, and keep my hope to be polo owner.

Rs50,000 booking deposit. At 4 months waiting time that is around Rs1,000 per car interest heading for the dealer's pocket. 100 cars, one lakh. For nothing.

If VW is serious: how about 6% on deposits, eh? There's no reason why their dealers should enjoy the customers' money.

I'm very, very sad to be thinking, tonight, "VW India? file under Skoda.".

As to the ethos of the company. We're talking about sales here... mobile phones, memory chips, cars, whatever... it is only the occasional, good, salesman who recognises (or is trained) that it is long-term relationships that count, not just this month's figures, or what bull-matter noise can be made at this particular prospect. Salesmen, particularly in certain areas, are notorious bull-excrementers, and sales managers are promoted salesmen. It's the same the world over, with cars, double glazing and life insurance at the top of the lists... VW have to control the ethos of their dealers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 01:09   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm not happy at all to see this thread. I've had polo/micra/polo/micra/hey-1.6-polo! going on in my head for a few weeks. I've tried to put aside the thought that Skoda and VW are the same group, and I've tried not to think about the situation that nobody is getting committed delivery dates, and then, for many, delivery turns out to be, hey, sometime, maybe. Don't know how long I can discount all this, and keep my hope to be polo owner.

Rs50,000 booking deposit. At 4 months waiting time that is around Rs1,000 per car interest heading for the dealer's pocket. 100 cars, one lakh. For nothing.

If VW is serious: how about 6% on deposits, eh? There's no reason why their dealers should enjoy the customers' money.

I'm very, very sad to be thinking, tonight, "VW India? file under Skoda.".

As to the ethos of the company. We're talking about sales here... mobile phones, memory chips, cars, whatever... it is only the occasional, good, salesman who recognises (or is trained) that it is long-term relationships that count, not just this month's figures, or what bull-matter noise can be made at this particular prospect. Salesmen, particularly in certain areas, are notorious bull-excrementers, and sales managers are promoted salesmen. It's the same the world over, with cars, double glazing and life insurance at the top of the lists... VW have to control the ethos of their dealers.
I too agree on the interest thing or there should be some penalty in case car is not delivered, they can give some cash discount per day of delay?
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 01:49   #78
BHPian

Sorry to hear of your experience. You, as customer, are KING. Always remember that. Having said that, in my opinion you have the following options. If you are focused on getting a VW Polo, cancel the bookiing from this dealer, find a dealer in another town of India who will give you better service and purchase the car from them with temporary licence tags, transport it yourself to Mumbai and pay the taxes and get the registration done. A drag, I know, however, the WIAA can help you out, they are a pretty proactive body nowadays as compared to what it was in the 70s and 60s. The down side of this is that you will still be "associated" with Polo guy for their service, and as many have rightly said on this forum, these guys are taking us, the Indian customer for granted. They have yet to learn their lessons in marketing, in keeping commitments, in retaining customers, and how to keep a customer satisfied.

The other option is to finalize on something else. I have owned Marutis since 1984 and thats 26 years of Maruti ownership. I have driven the Maruti cars across the length and breadth of India without fear, knowing that if I break down, Maruti is at hand. Whenever I sought to change cars, after a long thought process, I always went with Maruti. That is my experience. Most multiple car owners usually have a Maruti in the garage due to the reliability quotient.

If this is how you are treated beforehand, I shudder to think what sort of treatment you will post delivery. Moral of the story, never take anything at face value, get it in writing. Only then will they get off their butts and treat you as a serious customer. You dangle the carrot, they just HAVE to jump.

Best wishes

Ranzy
DJANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 01:57   #79
BHPian

Default Customer Service in Germany (???)

Come to Germany and you will never find anything called "customer service" anywhere here. Everyone is equal here and so a customer shall never be treated as king for that matter. Even if they make a mistake, they will never apologize to the customer.

Probably this training is passed on to VW India employees during their induction program by their German counterpart

Nirmal
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 02:25   #80
BHPian

HI Bunty,
Did you ever try approaching media? Like writing to some auto magazines who publish your traumas and also write to the company on your behalf. I saw in one magazine namely whatacar where one of the customer was facing a long pending issue and magazine spoke on customer's behalf to manufacturer. Customer got solution sooner than expected. Also send VW this link so that they can understand which fraternity you belong to and how many people are keeping an eye on its actions. Also please approach consumer forum as we ought to make good use of it before it dies and teach VW a lesson or two in underestimating a new market.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 06:24   #81
BHPian

Quote:
and I don't think that they would be the first ones to do it. AFAIK the swift Dzire/Diesel Booking amount was given interest on the waiting period.
Even 25 years back, MUL did refund the interest on the booking amount for the SS80.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:13   #82
BHPian

For 3000 cars :
total booking amount = 3000 X 50000 = 15 cr
Avg waiting period = 3 months
Interest on booking amount for 3 months (@6% per annum)
= {(15 cr X 6%)/12 } X 3 = 2250000/-

Total bookings 9000 cars, going by this, total interest earned :
2250000 X 3 = 6750000/-

43 dealers + 1 = 6750000/44 = 153409/- A Lot of Amount !

PS: This is an assumption as per the discussion in this thread.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:19   #83
BHPian

One of my friends went to the Volkswagen dealer in Chennai and asked for a Polo test drive. The reply was shocking.
"Sorry sir, NO FUEL".

:(
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:26   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
For 3000 cars :
total booking amount = 3000 X 50000 = 15 cr
Avg waiting period = 3 months
Interest on booking amount for 3 months (@6% per annum)
= {(15 cr X 6%)/12 } X 3 = 2250000/-

Total bookings 9000 cars, going by this, total interest earned :
2250000 X 3 = 6750000/-

43 dealers + 1 = 6750000/44 = 153409/- A Lot of Amount !

PS: This is an assumption as per the discussion in this thread.
Maruti has been doing this to us since ages.

I believe, the VW Polo has a standard 6 months waiting, no matter what.

In this case, it must be the dealer folly by assuring wrong commitments.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 12:49   #85
BHPian

My first thought was that VW folks were being "trained" by Skoda experts .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Very sad to hear this. I suppose you did the correct thing opting for another car, even though I doubt this would change the dealer or VWs attitude toward their customer.
Voting with your feet is good but what happens if you are absolutely in love with the car. That would have been heart breaking - to me something along the lines of falling in love, proposing marriage and then breaking it off. There should be some law against this.
One theory I have is that your allotment was diverted to some one else. This could possibly be how the dealer could "guarantee" a car in 12 days time if the full amount was given.
In terms of customer support, most of the times we call the support numbers and end up screaming at the folks answering the phone. These poor folks have no authority of any kind and the best they can do is forward the complaint. They too are almost always kept in the dark on what happens after that and so expecting them to respond is probably too much. I guess the biggest problem in the system is that - "no single person is held accountable in these cases". It's always a blame game and the buck is passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
One of my friends went to the Volkswagen dealer in Chennai and asked for a Polo test drive. The reply was shocking.
"Sorry sir, NO FUEL".:(
This is totally hilarious.
On a slightly different note, have a Jetta in the family. Ran into a dog while on the highway and ended up with a repair bill of 2L!! Boy, maintenance costs are high.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 13:43   #86
BANNED

This thread is going

Why should we now talk about service and maintainence of a VW.

The topic is about a particular dealership, lets stick on to that.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 13:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Not that I am a supporter of VW but I am sort of getting sick of statements like this.
Let me repeat again, its always Maruti (and Hyundai to an extent) on one side vs the others. Its only the others that compete against each other.
You can by no way expect someone to get sort of structure and service that Maruti provides.
At the risk of going off-topic again, its not about the Structure or service.
Infact I would say with the lesser volume, the company has options of being much more responsive and attentive to its relatively smaller customer base.

As is oft said, Ford certainly did a better job in managing Figo deliveries than VW.

PS : There was a Figo Booking and Delivery issues thread. Why not have something similar for VW, and we can make the company hear our collective voice ?
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 14:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

one should not crib about the waiting time if it was well told in advance. The issue comes if the dealer changes the priority as per his requirements. This was why I emphasized on getting hold of the contact number of VW officials and speak to them directly.
Modern cars come with high priority towards pedestrian protection. So no wonder in having a huge bill on running in to a dog. Probably the dog might have survived.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 14:39   #89
BHPian

Quote:
As to the ethos of the company. We're talking about sales here... mobile phones, memory chips, cars, whatever... it is only the occasional, good, salesman who recognises (or is trained) that it is long-term relationships that count, not just this month's figures, or what bull-matter noise can be made at this particular prospect.... VW have to control the ethos of their dealers.
As a founder/owner of a branding consultancy, my first thought when VW was setting up shop was to get involved in the process. I fought my way through the cold-calling and snooty german (and Indians-employed-in-snooty german company) response process to finally get Kurt Rippholz's numbers and email id. Kurt was/is in charge of corporate communications here for the VW group.

Anyway, my pitch to him was this: your brand is what your customers think it is. You have a golden opportunity to show that VW is different from Skoda, in terms of how a customer or prospect experiences the brand, right from having online forums to discuss it, to the experience of signing up for and having test drives, the retail experience, and of course, sales and service.

If you do not engage along the entire life-cycle, the brand wont mean anything to your customers. As a trained designer, with automotive design experience, and as someone who is in the brand experience design business with a passion for automobiles, I can help cut across hierarchical organizational roles, and be a cross-domain brand experience champion of sorts.

Needless to say, VW knows better, and he palmed me off to an HR guy ( Indian who had moved to VW India from Skoda India, so you know where that comes from!) and this guy obviously says, we don't have that profile in our HR requirements.

To someone else's comment about it being a recruitment thing, that is part of it.

More than that, it's a lack of brand thinking. Everything is still piecemeal, and different departments don't see that a consumer's perception of a brand is the sum of all his or her experiences across all the touch-points at which s/he interacts with said brand.

So, as far as the thread going "off topic", it not about dealerships, its about dealerships being a brand touchpoint that consumers will have to interact with and engage with over and over again. This is exactly the compartmentalised thinking that causes brand disaster stories.

Even the people tasked with upholding and communicating the brand~ like dear Mr. Rippholz, don't seem to actually understand what their job entails.

Last edited by crackingride : 25th June 2010 at 14:57.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 15:00   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

With such an established company, I am very surprised ,,, but I suppose I shouldn't be.

There can be only so many years before this kind of thinking sees corporates disappearing up their own rear ends
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote