Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 14th July 2010, 09:11   #16
BHPian

@ Gautam , thanks for the mail Ids . The complaint has been sent .

Quote:
Sometime during End 09, when i wanted to sell the Safari (different reasons - no performance issue with the beast. Still love this car and would still buy one. Wifey misses this car big time). One second hand car dealer, known to me came with a client to inspect and that's when came the shocker - he said that the entire bonnet of the car was re-painted.
@Jkrishnakj , you would have shattered hearing this . Its defintely not a good place to be :(

Quote:
What does the order booking confirmation form / receipt say ? This should have been confirmed in writing, esp since both models were available at the dealer.

Secondly, if the car is being registered now with a Bangalore address, it must be a BS-IV. It cannot be a BS-III.
On the first part , I do not have the information right now . But I can check with my friend and provide the information here .
On the second thing , well the dealer was mentioning that though BS 3 cannot be registered officially , they can do some nick nacks with the officials and get that done .

Quote:
Grande Punto, 1.3 16V E3 75CV / 55KW EMOTION
Manufacturing date : 29.08.2009
Engine No: 0034923

Fiat already had a bad reputation and the dealers are just helping it to add further.
@ Wildon , this is absolutely smart !! How did you get this information ?

Quote:
Have these issues increased only now, or have been prevailant and are surfacing now ? Man and these are the known cases. I don't know how many have been fleeced earlier. Better to have an insider in the Quality Control Dept like my cousin did when he bought his Indica. He knew the chasis number before hand and took delivery of exactly that on the day it landed at the dealers.
@ Prince ,
I think its only getting surfaced these days . People are getting more informed and hence more issues . Imagine 15 years back , unless a person is from a automobile manufacturing company or from a dealership , he or she would not know about the chasis number and what importance does it have and similar things .
Anyway things are getting better from the customer end .

Quote:
Well these Prerna Guys did give me an already sold car for testdrive!!!!
Resolved not to take the car from them. Went to Concorde. And made big sounds that I am member of Team-BHP and will be doing a very through PDI. In a way kind of warning them that they better not play any tricks on me.
Guess that saved me.
For the benefit of community, when you go to buy a car make sure you use these sentences loud and clear.
Yep I think it will work
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 09:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^^

We have a dedicated thread running on this forum for decoding the VIN, just to make sure to avoid the situation like yours. if you are not aware please look at here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-cars-59.html (Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars)
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 10:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post

@ Wildon , this is absolutely smart !! How did you get this information ?
Rejoyce, wildon is the unofficial official VIN decoder expert of our forum.

Along with the points presented by member download2live et al, let me add one more:

IF possible, do NOT try to take delivery of a new car on an "very" auspicious/"normally" auspicious day. Neither you nor the dealer can conduct the PDI properly even if both parties want to, due to heavy rush. Choose an ordinary day instead.

I am not advocating for an inauspicious day but I tried to took delivery of my GP E+ on June 26, SAT + lunar eclipse. It was probably the only car assigned to PDI/dely on that day. More than 15 cars (Tata+Fiat) were deliverd on the previous day, an auspicious Friday. However, SAT was a Hartal day -I live in Kerala -and we postponed it last minute to MON, June 28.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:12   #19
BHPian

These things are really scary !! I have booked my Punto from Prerana motors and awaiting the delivery now. I will make it a point to my sales person to show me the Form 22 before registration. Still I am doubtful about verifying whether any re-painting was done. It would be really helpful if somebody can clarify how to look out for a paint job being done or not.
arunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 21:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
I will make it a point to my sales person to show me the Form 22 before registration. Still I am doubtful about verifying whether any re-painting was done. It would be really helpful if somebody can clarify how to look out for a paint job being done or not.
Hey Arun,

i would like to make you understand here is that Form 22 to my knowledge is an internal document. A dealer is not obligated in any sense to show you the documents unless you are an authority to demand it to be shown to you.

But, one thing is that the ONUS of not being taken for a ride is on you or for that matter not getting cheated is on you. There is a saying which goes like this " Cheater is not at fault, the one who gets cheated is at fault". So take care.

You can always ask a good automobile painter to help you out on this. You can ask him to come along with you for the delivery.

Dont worry about Prerana, they would have closed shop if they kept repeating the same.Its just that you are getting to read all the bad experiences at one shot.

So, dont worry, go with a positive outlook , be happy and take delivery of your new car.

Ok ! by the way, would you want me to boost your confidence levels by being with you for the delivery ?

Last edited by nandans2005 : 14th July 2010 at 21:43.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 08:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
i would like to make you understand here is that Form 22 to my knowledge is an internal document. A dealer is not obligated in any sense to show you the documents unless you are an authority to demand it to be shown to you.

You can always ask a good automobile painter to help you out on this. You can ask him to come along with you for the delivery.
Ok So if they dont show the Form 22, I think we can still make out the manufacturing month/year by looking at the chasis number i hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Ok ! by the way, would you want me to boost your confidence levels by being with you for the delivery ?
Thanks a lot for your offer. I have a paint shop near my house and will check up with him first. If nothing works out I will surely bother you
arunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 12:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Rejoyce, wildon is the unofficial official VIN decoder expert of our forum.

Along with the points presented by member download2live et al, let me add one more:

IF possible, do NOT try to take delivery of a new car on an "very" auspicious/"normally" auspicious day. Neither you nor the dealer can conduct the PDI properly even if both parties want to, due to heavy rush. Choose an ordinary day instead.
@sandeep ,
true very true , went through the thread mentioned by Wildon . Infact I had seen that thread before , but it dint occur to me when I saw the code .

Quote:
These things are really scary !! I have booked my Punto from Prerana motors and awaiting the delivery now. I will make it a point to my sales person to show me the Form 22 before registration. Still I am doubtful about verifying whether any re-painting was done. It would be really helpful if somebody can clarify how to look out for a paint job being done or not.
Well as nandan mentioned , its just that all the bad things are exposed to you at a time that you going for the delivery of the car . But its a good sign as you will be more cautious while taking your car .
The chasis number would be giving you a decent amount of knowledge of the manufacturing date.
A trusted mechanic as Nandan mentioned would help you in this .

The point to be taken here is that , even while buying a new car , we should be as cautious as when we buy a used car .

Quote:
@ Nandan , are you sure of the first statement ? May be we should have someone confirming it .
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

There is a great offer going on with the Fiat Palio cars. These are being phased out and Fiat has slashed the price by around 1 lakh rupees. This information was supposed to be internal mailer for TATA and Fiat employees, select dealers and customers who are Fiat loyalists and hasn’t been publicized much.

The Fiat Palio 1.3 Multijet SDX (Diesel) which is the top end costs 4.49lacs on road and a top end petrol variant costs around 3.6lacs on road. It includes insurance and extended warranty. Few months back it was roughly 5.4-5.5lakh on road. The delivery of car would take 60-90 days on best effort basis (Since a limited number of cars will be manufactured and delivered).

Myself and 2 other collegues have booked the car (SDX) from Prerana motors Lalbagh road. I hope our experience will be good. The sales representative there got us an email confirmation that the cars would be 2010 make and likely delivery would be in October. I kept him informed that I am very knowledgeable about cars and Fiats in particular. I am a co-founder of the Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore, motto and vision being to save the good old Fiat 1100's and help owners source parts and maintain it. I flashed my visiting card that is of Fiat Club Bangalore. The respect changed. The manager in charge of Fiat division for Prerana also spoke to us

I will keep all these in mind and ensure we get the promised cars and also do a thorough PDI

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd July 2010 at 12:06.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 13:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The respect changed. The manager in charge of Fiat division for Prerana also spoke to us
@ Funkycar , good to know that you are getting a very good deal on Fiat Palio . The car which is famous for its build quality and strength . But just a word of caution so that no bad experiences for you .

If the name of the sales manager that you mentioned here is Vijay , just be very careful with him . He was the guy who spoke trillion words about how trusted Prerana motors is when compared to other dealers in town . And he is the same guy who said that though there are some 2009 manufactured cars in their warehouse , those will not be sold to my friend . Well the rest is history as I mentioned in the thread . So unless you see the vehicle in flesh , dont believe him .

Hope I dint pitch in as a joy- killer here ,but as i mentioned a word of caution

cheers
Old 24th July 2010, 14:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

^ The Sales manager was someone whose name I dont remember. Yes, the Sales head was Vijay. Everything related to the car was dealt with Vijay. The manager spoke to us generally with respect to Fiats and our Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore. I really appreciate your honest advice. I will keep in mind be very cautious.

Either way, I need to be cautious as I am buying a car thats being phased out. I hope everything goes very well for me and my friends. Also, since not a single Palio is available for display nor test drive, doesnt that mean that the old stocks of dealers have been cleared out?

Last edited by funkykar : 24th July 2010 at 14:15.
Old 24th July 2010, 15:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^ TThe manager spoke to us generally with respect to Fiats and our Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore. I really appreciate your honest advice. I will keep in mind be very cautious.

Either way, I need to be cautious as I am buying a car thats being phased out. I hope everything goes very well for me and my friends. Also, since not a single Palio is available for display nor test drive, doesnt that mean that the old stocks of dealers have been cleared out?
Well most of us the petrolheads hardly think about the logical part of buying a car and hence we are petrolheads . We buy them for a passion , others may be for show off , commute etc . Palio is a car to be driven by a passionate ! So its a good decision .

Yes I agree on your point , if everything is straight , well the new car has to be manufactured in the plant and then delivered to you .

But one question that just came to me is that , Fiat is phasing out Palio - meaning all those which are currently in stock if sold out then they are done with their job and would not manufacture more Palios . As you mentioned in your case , I understand that Fiat is going to manufacture as per order and even selling at a very low price . Is it a practice normally in the automobile industry ?
can anyone from this industry in the forum if can shed some light into the question ?

As I said earlier , its always good to think about the worse though we expect the best
Old 24th July 2010, 16:39   #27
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Why should a person have to be in some club, or know so and so to get a good treatment? I think FIAT needs to take action on this case, else they will continue to lose trust and get business from a select few who are die hard fans or ignorant about such things. Amazing that this should happen now, when FIAT is trying stay alive in india. I wonder how at all can the RTO register a car that is more than 2-3 months old? Looks like it happens only in india!
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 18:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

@Rejoy: Thanks! If I get the car, I will definitely feel very proud to to own a Palio.

I too was wondering why Fiat after clearing old stocks are manufacturing new ones and selling in the market. It is very wierd. Especially since generally Fiat is not too well known to be customer centric. The email at the thread below describes the availability of 2010 model and colors. Email in PDF format is available at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...tile-offer.pdf

@mkh: Even before I told that I am co-founder of the Fiat club Bangalore, the sales reps really attended to me well even though I wasnt enquiring about any new models and Fiats and was actually looking for Fiat. Once I told about the club, even his manager casually wanted to have a chat with me. Sales head also got the necessary information like available colors and year of manufacture from Fiat by email and forwarded to me. The overall experience so far has been 5/5 and hope it would remain the same. Our family has brought many vehicles from this outlet in the past and has been very good experiences.
Old 24th July 2010, 19:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I wonder how at all can the RTO register a car that is more than 2-3 months old? Looks like it happens only in india!
rightly said , some things happen only in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
@Rejoy: Thanks! If I get the car, I will definitely feel very proud to to own a Palio.

I too was wondering why Fiat after clearing old stocks are manufacturing new ones and selling in the market. It is very wierd. Especially since generally Fiat is not too well known to be customer centric. The email at the thread below describes the availability of 2010 model and colors. Email in PDF format is available at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...tile-offer.pdf
Thanks for the Pdf document , as long as you get a 2010 make its fine :-)

In between , I havent recieved replies from any of the id to which we sent the compliant mail ..
Old 24th July 2010, 19:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I wonder how at all can the RTO register a car that is more than 2-3 months old? Looks like it happens only in india!

Is there a rule on how old the car can be for registering? When it comes to registering a BS3, I have heard from many that the major metros wouldnt register them if delivery happened post April or May. So, it means it can be registered elsewhere in outskirts. Again, the dealer said since the Palio delivered would be BS3, they would register it outskirts and give to me. Happens only in India!!

@ Rejoy: Yes, as long as it is 2010, I and my friends should be fine. However, if it is 2009 0r 08, if the car is good with no issues, I might still consider it. However, for the actual price mentioned in the brochure minus more discounts and its an old one. I somehow am particular about getting a SDX home. Hope Fiat India replies soon.

Last edited by funkykar : 24th July 2010 at 20:02.