Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 24th July 2010, 22:04   #1
BHPian

Default Kulathunkal Motors, trivandrum

Mods: Please do merge the thread elsewhere if something similar exists already. ( havent seen any other than a A.S.S thread) thanks.

Hi guys,
This is about my recent experience with tata motors dealer- Kulathunkal motors, Trivandrum. I had booked a tata nano last year and I got allotment for july to September 2010. I had cancelled the booking a few months back due to some circumstances but later revoked the cancellation last week. And I got a message from tata motors saying my car is ready for delivery. Hence I contacted kulathunkal motors and they confirmed the news. And yesterday (23-7-2010, Friday) I called the sales executive to get the details about the accessories available. And he asked me to go there by 5 PM and said that the showroom will close by 6.00 PM. My dad and me went there by bus ( as my dad has a hairline fracture in his hand, so cant drive). We reached there by 5 PM or so and we could not find the guy there. On further enquiry , two other guys told us that he was in the yard. So we asked them to inform the executive that we have reached here. He came by around 5.15 PM but he was talking with someother customer and acted as if he hadnt seen us! And we waitied, but no use. After some time, we went to him and told the reason why we came here and all. And the time was around 5.35 or 5.40 PM. And he told us that we cannot see the accessories today as the accessory dept. had closed! We were horrified! This was the same guy who told us to come and check out the accessories anytime before 6 PM! And he asked us whether a brief listing of items would do.

My dad got really angry at him and shouted at him (not much though). He later gave some dumb explanation and later told us that he will give us a brief written list of the accessories. We halfheartedly accepted( something is better than nothing! Lol). Luckily he didnt ask us a paper to write! And the rubbish manner in which he gave us the list made us wonder whether he was really a sales executive. I have attached the scanned image of the list he gave us. Please do check the spelling errors too! ( its fun guys! We had a laugh night reading this!! ) Not meant to hurt him, but atleast kulathunkal motors should be careful while appointing executives.

We got out of the showroom and went back home. We had to go the next day( ie, today, 24-7-2010) inorder to pay the rest of the amount and settle some papers and to check the accessories too. So my mom and I went to the showroom by around 5 PM after calling him. We met the same guy there. We went to check out the accessories and the lady in the accessory dept. was way better than this guy! ! And then we went to the sales desk to settle the rest of the amount and the documents. For each document that we gave, the people over there took atleast 20 min to come back to us after roaming here and there.
Altogether it took around 1.5 hours to settle just 6 documents! And then I asked about the sunfilms available and he took me to have a look at the samples. He didnít know a word about sunfilms and then atlast told me that ď Sir, better you can do the sunfilm from outside sirĒ (please ignore the grammar, its like what he said). And I was stunned to hear such a statement from a showroom executive. He was not at all interested to sell anything , even the accessories. I just ignored and walked away.

Then I enquired about the extended warranty . He just knows that its 2 years, but dosent even know the kilometer coverage, and dosent even bother to check it other people. (sigh!!). And on asking what the standard warranty was he said its 12 months. In the mean time another executive said its 18 months . And both of them had an argument for sometime over this but still didnít come to a conclusion. When asked about the kilometer coverage in the standard warranty , his answer was ď Sir, tata dosent give any kilometer warranty. They just have period warranty ( acc: to him 12 months)Ē! And was having mixed emotions. Felt like banging him, laughing out and all! Somehow got out from there.

Even though there are lots of sales executives in the showroom, none are efficient or knowledgeable enough. And their attitude is even more worse. If tata-fiat dealerships are going to go this way, surely , they are not going to reach anywhere. Sad that some good cars donít get good dealerships or proper sales! I would rate them as jus PATHETIC. I would never like to go there once I take delivery of my nano.

Please check the attached pic ( if u want to have a good laugh). Do note the spelling mistakes. And if any one has experienced such things, please do share.

The mistakes:

Ref no:
2)Mut flap (for mud flap)
3)Side bieding (for side beading)
5) Under body coatting (for under body coating)
6)Tuflon coatting ( for telfon coating)
8) Allowy wheels (for alloy wheels)
9) Sun filim (for sun film)
10) Stearo (for stereo)

Kulathunkal Motors, trivandrum-nano2.jpg
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 22:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

kulathunkal sucks
I've got very graphic descriptions of my buying and ownership experience

somebody should try out mohandas and report.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 23:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, there aren't that bad; guess your point of contact wasn't knowledgeable enough. Don't ever expect a sales guy to be techy, they just try selling and get their commission.

But, customer should be king ! Hope the management knows whats happening; else, hope the new dealer makes use of this opportunity.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 21:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Well, there aren't that bad; guess your point of contact wasn't knowledgeable enough.
Totally agree; I bought my Punto from Kulathunkal after exchanging my Indica and the experience was smooth - though I am still waiting for the INR10,000 exchange bonus cheque. I've found the sales team leader for Fiat, Mr. Binu as a very well-informed person. He even discussed me with possibilities of installing K/N and Pete's.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 22:47   #5
BHPian

Since this is a thread on Kulathunkal Motors, I'll describe my sales and service experiences.

My personal sales experience has been mostly positive. It seems like you got one of the worst guys in the team. Don't be too hard on his spelling and grammar though. Blame our lousy education system with too little emphasis on languages and grammar.

My sales exec, Mr. Arun, was well-informed, and mostly prompt. He never made promises that he couldn't keep, and I was also offered a lot of freebies with little prompting or bargaining on my part. I guess it was because the Indigo isn't a really fast-moving car. The only fly in the ointment was when the registration was delayed by a day, due to power problems at the RTO. Arun didn't inform us that the delivery was delayed until we were almost at the dealership, but he was most apologetic. He did offer to do a token key-handover if the day was important, but we declined. Since the dealership is on the way home from work, the trip wasn't really an issue, but it was a major disappointment.

The accessories department is quite good too, and the lady there is very polite and informed. They offered me very good rates for alloys, music system, etc at the time of delivery. I was flat broke then, so I had to decline.

Mohandas Motors isn't too good with their follow-up. I made an inquiry and left my number, and there was no response even after a week. Kulathunkal followed up every one of my separate inquiries, for the Vista, Indigo CS, and even on the Marina, which I discovered to my surprise, is still available on full-payment order. Funnily, I got a call about my enquiry from one of them when I was standing in the office next to hers. I knocked on the glass and waved!

First Service was OK, but only 2 out of 4 specifically mentioned issues were addressed. Follow-up is good though, with calls two days after delivery. From what I understand, First service is merely checking that everything s working fine and that everything is bolted on right and tight.

Bodyshop is quite good at Kulathunkal, though not perfect. The work is of a very high finish and you'd never know the difference from new, but I found exposed steel on the underside of a panel that was supposed to be repainted. It looks like they sprayed it with the boot still on and didn't cover the underside.

Overall, I'd say that it isn't perfect. While the staff are very polite and informed, they didn't manage to address specific issues that I had mentioned, including a hard to close door and a rattling noise from rear parcel tray area. They did not inspect the bodywork from the inside to ensure that everything was covered. Sure, it's a really busy workshop, with every bay and the courtyard filled to maximum, but these were minor issues and I just wish I didn't have to take the car back again. I've no doubt that these issues will be resolved then.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 10:29   #6
BHPian

I'd like to add another detail. When asked for a TD of the Indigo CS TDi, the car Kulathunkal brought me was running a TC plate. It was unmarked, with the speedo disconnected. I found this unacceptable and when I confronted the sales exec about it, I was told that the car was new, because there was a recent model change (true, the new CS has a different front end) and that the DEMO stickers hadn't arrived yet from Tata.

I discreetly made some inquiries with a security guard, and asked him what he knew about it. He told me that what happens is that a few months down the line, the car is usually sold to some customer after telling them that it is a demo car, at a significant discount. It's usually Taxi owners who take such cars. The car is registered as new, given all requisite free services, with odo reading starting from time of delivery. They even arrange the finance for a new car, adjusting the discount in the down-payment, which is often an issue for some taxi driver/owners.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 17:19   #7
BHPian

@greenhorn, jkdas, sandeepmdas and vivekgk,

thanks a lot for sharing all your reviews and comments. I too thought kulathunkal was fine after reading some reviews in t-bhp. But , its really disappointing, may be i was the unlucky one!

Today , had yet another experience. When we went to do the rest of the paper works on 24th July, i asked them a date for doing the PDI. And they told us that mostly customers don't do PDI, which is correct as i havent seen many doing it. (Happy to be a t-bhpian :-)). But later he agreed and and asked me to come on monday, that is, 26th July. As i was a little busy that day, asked him to change the date to 27th and he confirmed it. ( Actually, while doing the paperwork, i asked the sales executive whether i can do a PDI at that time itself. He said he dosent have time to check the chassis number then, or else he would have let me to. Dosent that meant that the car was already there?? :-?).
I eagerly waited to do the PDI, rushed home after school and my dad too left the office by 3.00 PM and we hurried to the showroom. On going there, we met the sales guy and he was like "Sorry sir, your car has not arrived yet!". We were really sad. After all the planning for days, no result!. They could have atleast made a call and informed us! And the guy then asked my dad whether he wanted a coffee, and he gave it. After that we didnt see the guy at all. He never turned to us. And we left the showroom quietly without searching for him. They said the car will arrive today night /tomorrow morning. Hope i will be able to do the PDI tomorrow atleast. And i am not going to go to the showroom without making a call just before i start from home!.!!
Old 11th August 2010, 18:49   #8
BHPian

Hello everyone, i had to visit the showroom to do the pdi. Lots of delay in the delivary of our car as the earlier alloted one had some minor accident in the transit(as told by them). Now, did the pdi and the vehicle was all fine, except for a small long black mark on the inner part of the left front door.

Suprisingly, today's experience was really amazing. The sales guy was not the old one whom i had met earlier. And the staff at the accessories dept. was really informative and answered each and everything i asked clearly! I was totally suprised. Never expected this from kulathunkal. Hope this lasts for ever! :-)