Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 8th September 2010, 09:10   #1
BANNED

Exclamation Honda dealer in Chandigarh sold old accidental Honda City to a customer

Chandigarh Tribune
Page 1; 8th September, 2010
Heading- Auto dealer in soup for selling old car
Dealer- Lally Automobiles(Prestige Honda as per Honda website), Industrial Area, Phase-I, Chandigarh

A City owner has lodged a complaint against a Honda dealer for selling an old accidental car as new after he refused to refund the money or give a brand new car.

The owner then approached the Honda Company which also refused to entertain the complaint after which he decided to move to court.

Details:
The economic offences wing of Chandigarh Police has booked the DGM and two sales managers of Lally Automobiles on the charges of cheating forgery and criminal conspiracy selling an old Honda City car to a city woman.

A "new" Honda City was purchased on Oct 31, 2009 from the dealer for 8lacs but later the owner found that she had been deliberately sold an old car manufactured in Feb 2009 that had met with accident, not once, but twice.

The cheating came to light on April 21, 2010 when the engine oil started leaking and the car was taken for repairs at the dealer's service station.

The computer of the work manager showed it to be manufactured in February 2009 and had met with two accidents in April and October 2009.

Records also showed that the dealership had availed an insurance claim of Rs48000 for repairs after which it was sold on October 31, 2009.

After complaints to the dealership, the dealership later agreed to refund Rs7.4lacs but the owner insisted on full refund/new car. Then, he approached the Honda but the company refused to entertain his complaint following which he moved court.

Moral- Carry PDI list with you. Do a thorough PDI, do take a test drive of your car before registration and accept delivery in broad daylight.
And, always remember, a dent or a scratch can be rectified easily later. Do look for them but only after you are certain of manufacturing month and year of the car and a satisfactory test drive of your new car to rule out any congenital mechanical fault, if any.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 8th September 2010 at 09:20. Reason: dealer name edited
PaddleShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 10:16   #2
BANNED

Default Here is the link to the news

I was in a hurry earlier.

Here is the link to the tribune online edition containing this news at 6th place from top.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

Also, I think that Honda should have intervened in this case and should have taken some action. They are charging a lot of premium for the Honda badge so the customers deserve more.
It's bad on the part of the company, not to take up such issue with the dealership.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:57   #3
BHPian

This is crazy, How can anyone even think of cheating a buyer with his or her hard earned money.

I can imagine the agony the buyer would be going through.

How can HONDA refuse to intervene? I think he should have filed a legal suit against Honda too for supporting the dealer with what he has done.

what else needs to happen in India ? We few guys here who say take life as it comes and go on, no need to fight for justice
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 11:17   #4
BHPian

OMG, Honda too.There should be a better way to protect the consumers.
Dealers cant take the customers for ride. Why cant a tamper proof speedometer be made?

BTW, Why is this thread not getting any attention?
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 11:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is a pity that the dealer and the sales personnel chose to push a old car that too with accident history to the innocent customer.

this also shows that the "burried" and "wronged"issues can re-surface lateron. Hence it is important to do the RIGHT thing in first place by the companies and thier field force.

knee jerk reactions by the company in this case is because our complaint redressal systems are pathetic, processes long drawn and often can be compromised.

if such a thing would have happend in japan or USA, then the MD of Honda would required to face the trial. The Personal Accountability is missing here.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:02   #6
BHPian

Certainly not expected from a company like Honda.
I hope they get taken to court and are fined HEAVILY. Like in Crores of rupees, which would be the case in the west. Only then will the system change.
We can do our bit by not giving the said dealer any business. These kind of actions do make a difference if supported by the masses.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:16   #7
BHPian

Quite Pathetic, its good that the police has charged FIR against the DGM and his counterparts atleast this will be a lesson to other companies. If the message does not happen at the top, it doesn't really work.

But then i have a few questions here:
1. The vehicle should have already been registered right, (without which they cant' get insurance), how could they have registered again?
2. If there had been a claim made already, the insurace will surely reflect right, in the form of no claim bonus - nil

Can they have gone to the level hiding/cheating the RTO, insurance companies as well. In that case, this will be a very serious and series of fraud then.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Honda should first delist the dealer before doing anything further. Also, compensation and apologies are called for. In my view the dealer is just the front end of the manufacturer. As a customer to me both are 'almost' the same.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:18   #9
BANNED

Default Honda dealer refutes claim

Update- Today's Chandigarh Tribune carries more information on this subject.

Looks like there is a twist.

Lally Autos in their defense, told The Tribune that they had had sold S-AT variant for 8lacs Ex-showroom that had a price tag of 9lac Ex-showroom at that time. So, that it is an enough proof that the customer was aware of the status of the car.

It is also alleged that the customer was explained about the condition of the vehicle that was being used for domestication purpose by the dealership.

Here is the link(news at 23rd place from top):

MODs: Kindly add update: (Auto dealer refutes allegations). Otherwise, it brings bad rep to the dealership and Honda.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Update- Today's Chandigarh Tribune carries more information on this subject.

Looks like there is a twist.

Lally Autos in their defense, told The Tribune that they had had sold S-AT variant for 8lacs Ex-showroom that had a price tag of 9lac Ex-showroom at that time. So, that it is an enough proof that the customer was aware of the status of the car.

It is also alleged that the customer was explained about the condition of the vehicle that was being used for domestication purpose by the dealership.

Here is the link(news at 23rd place from top):

MODs: Kindly add update: (Auto dealer refutes allegations). Otherwise, it brings bad rep to the dealership and Honda.
The questions to be asked here are;

1. How come it was registered as a new car?
2. Why did the dealership offer 7.40 lakhs to the lady when they claim it was sold as an used car?

There is something really fishy about the whole deal.
diwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 16:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

How can we actually bring about a change in our systems (especially legal) that make the entire chain responsible and accountable?

Like as SV mentioned - similar ordeal faced in US/Eur/Jap would've brought the CEO/MD of the company down on his knees, possibly begging for forgiveness.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th September 2010 at 16:17.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 16:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
1. How come it was registered as a new car?
Probably beause the dealership held the car as "stock in trade"; was not shown as registered / sold, and was probably driven with fake number plates.

Look at the test drive eperiences and fate of TD cars mentioned elsewhere on this forum, and you will get the picture.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 17:54   #13
BANNED

Dealerships have 3-4 red color "Test Car" number plates. Any car that goes out of the dealership gets one fitted from other test car/demo car. I've seen this personally.

Also, dealerships here have temporary nember valid for one month that they allot to the new cars at the time of delivery. When ever they take a car out of the dealership for any reason, they just create one sticker using these numbers.
There is a risk, of course, involved in doing this as there are no registration papers inside the vehicle being used like this.

I don't think anybody would buy an "accidental car" jut for saving 1 lac. It is better to buy S-MT rather than accidental S-AT

What is a possibility here is that the dealership might have hidden the fact that the car met with two accidents.
Old 12th September 2010, 22:57   #14
BHPian

this issue was common with Ford Mondeos when they were launched in India. Some dealers imported second hand cars- with less/no duty and fooled customers.

My cousin had bought a Mondeo then, and he always used to complain about braking issues- brake fading etc and also rattling parts!!!

I think the owner should try to publicize the issue as much as he can. If he were in Delhi I could have helped him by putting huge bill boards everywhere, and could have made some bucks for myself
anshul_babbar is offline   Reply With Quote