Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 25th October 2010, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Default Frustrating experience with Tata Dealer - True Sai Works, Hosur Tamil Nadu

Here is my experience with The True Sai Works, Tata Dealership at Hosur, Tamilnadu. The ordeal has not ended yet, so sharing it here at Team BHP to vent some of my feelings.

I drive a Zen 2005 model, and done 91K on it till now.. Wanted a bigger car, and after much thought, decided to splurge on a Tata Safari Dicor LX model.

After checking all details, I booked for a Safari LX Mountain Green with the only local Tata dealer at Hosur - The True Sai Works. At the time of booking, sales guy said they'll get it within 10-12 days. (I suspect this is the first BS IV model they're selling, since their pricelist didn't have the price for BS IV models, but only BS III, and when I asked for BSIV, they weren't sure and took some time to find actual price for BSIV Safari).

Here is the sequence of events as they happened :

Sept 18, 2010: Booked Safari LX Mountain Green color by paying 50K as booking amount. The sales guy at the time said Mountain Green is rare and hard to get, but he will try.

Sept 24th: Sales guy calls to say Mountain Green is not available, and asks me to choose another color. He says prices will go up in October 1st, and they're trying to get me a LX before that. I opted for Cycus Grey as second choice.

Sept 30th: Sales guy calls and tells me to come and pay atleast 50% of total value since they're going to bill the car at the plan and car will ship within a day or two. I visit dealership in evening and make a total payment of 40% of car value.

Sept 31st night ~8PM: Sales guy calls and says they couldn't bill the car yet as Cycus Grey also was not available. I say, well and fine, now that I've to face increased prices anyway, do try for Mountain Green again. He says ok.

Oct 2nd: Tata car prices increased, but Safari price did not and remained same. I caleld up sales guy and told him to get me an EX instead of LX. He says ok.

Oct 7th: I call sales guy in morning to find out status, he doesn't pick up, and SMSes me back that he is in meeting and will call later. He didn't till afternoon. I call again in afternoon, again he doesn't pick up and SMSes me that he'll call little later as he is in meeting. He doesn't call till evening. Evening I return home from office, and call him again, someone else picks up and tells me that he is in meeting and he'll get back to me after meeting. My patience ended there, and I went to the dealership straight. He was there, sheepishly said he jsut finished a meeting with TML.. I asked status, he made me sit down, and went into Manager's cabin. I could see some heated discussions going on, and after 10 mins, he came out and asked me to speak to Manager. Went in to Manager's cabin - he sounded apologetic, said he'll get my EX bileld within 10-15 days. He said because I changed from LX to EX previous week, some delay happened, and that if I had booked EX first itself, he would've got it by now as EX was available at plant on 31st.

I accepted his reasoning, and left. But gave them a wider color choice. I told them to get me either Pearl WHite, Arctic Silver, Mountain Green or Cycus Grey EX.

Oct 14th: No calls till today, so I called Sales guy. He picked up and said car will be billed in 1 or 2 days. I said ok.

Oct 20th: No calls till today, so I called Sales guy again. He didn't pick up, and smsed he'll call later. He called after 2 hrs, and said they couldn't bill because there was 4 day holiday at plant due to puja holidays. He said it will be billed tomorrow.

Oct 21st: No calls today, so I just went with a friend direct to the dealership. Sales guy was there, said it will be billed next day as they are having some problem with the billing today. We met the Manager, again he was very apologetic, he said he will call me within 2 days with car VIN number etc and deliver next week. I said we'll meet you again on Saturday 22nd, and if still not billed, I'll have to cancel the booking. He promised he'll get it billed by Saturday.

Friday Oct 22nd: While at office, I prepared a booking cancellation letter, and sent an email to customercare at tatamotors.com with the cancellation letter as attachment and explaining the situation and sequence of events.

Oct 23rd: Manager called up around noon, and said there is no BS IV at plant, except a Pearl White which is in production line, and that he is trying to bill it, but some problem with system. He said to allow until Monday morning to come back with confirmed billing. I said ok.

Monday Oct 25th: No call yet from them. Received an email from TML customer care with apologies for inconvenience, and that the matter has been referred to territorial manager at Chennai with request to take immediate action and attend to the matter. The email also contained name and phone number of Territorial Manager at Chennai.
I haven't called that person yet.
I plan to wait till evening for a call from dealer with status, if not decide to go direct to dealer and give the booking cancellation letter and cancel booking and ask for refund.

I dont have to state the frustration, dissapointment, anxiety I'm going through. Phew!

Experienced fellow BHPians - what should I do?
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 08:44   #2
BHPian

@verditer,

Same is the state of my friend who has booked a Palio SDX with them four months back. There is absolutely no commitment from them on when the car will be delivered.
A week back, after repeated follow-ups with their Salem branch and with the Fiat sales directly he was assured of delivery within the next 15 days by the Salem manager.
But when questioned yesterday, their reply was this "you cancel the booking and take the advance back or get a vista!" They can't be saying this after making him wait for 4 long months.
When we refused to take it and insisted on getting the car. Now they have assured him of getting a car but still no commitment on when that will happen!
Auto freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:09   #3
BHPian

An update on this issue - Oct 27th: The dealer was on the verge of getting a Pearl White - that is, he said a vehicle has been blocked for me, and will be billed on that day or so; And I had a change of heart that day, I told him I dont want a Pearl White but I want a Black Safari - he was taken aback and tried to convince me that he has already paid for the Pearl WHite and it will be here in a week.
But I stuck to Black, and highlighted the delay already and my decision to go with what I want than what is available.

So it is back to square one now, though the dealer said a black is available and might be billed within a week. Lets see. keeping fingers crossed for my black beauty now.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Veriditer, there were some delays in BS IV model.. Not sure why.

My GX was delayed too. Booked on 3rd Sept and got to see her on 28th Sept only (Though I was promised 15 day delivery time)

I stuck with my original choice of model and color though dealer tried to push Pearl White.

In your case, you changed twice your options. So you may have to wait longer. I know it sucks, but I guess waiting for your choice of color is better. Dont take dealer given choice as I suspect they try to push TD vehicles.

They also normally give you the VIN number once the vehicle is shipped from Pune. pl ask for it.
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:53   #5
BHPian

Well, looks like the dealer is under pressure from TML, and within a week of my ordering Black, I have received the VIN number. The car will be billed soon and leave plant in a day or two.

What a wait this has been, and glad it is finally coming to an end.
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:31   #6
BHPian

A final update: Black Safari EX arrived finally at dealer on Nov 10th; I took delivery on 20th. Separately Initial Ownership thread has been started on 'Test Drives and Initial Ownership experience' forum.

Moderators - This thread can be closed.