Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 1st November 2010, 19:13   #1
BHPian

Default Avoid Tafe Reach Chennai if buying fiat car

I bought fiat linea from Tafe Reach Chennai. In one of my earlier threads, i already spoke about my bad delivery experience with TAFE Reach Chennai. Now comes the service part:

I bought Fiat Linea Emotion PK (Diesel) two months back and yesterday (31st Oct 2010) I gave it for first service (Completed 3000 kms).

There were minor issues like door gasket etc., I reported the same problem and the service advisor told that the vehicle can be delivered on the same day evening.
At 2pm the same guy called me and told that the Airbags light is glowing on the panel and they are checking it..

I was shocked.. to hear that.. everything was fine.. when i gave the vehicle.. but he managed to convince me that it would be a very minor issue and can be resolved. He calls me again in the evening and told that the issue still persists and I can take the delivery only the next day.. I had no choice but to wait.
Today morning he called me and told that I can come and take the delivery of the vehicle. I was happy that the issue was resolved..
When I went there.. he says the issue still exists and they have informed Fiat Motors and suspect a minor software issue. He asked me to take the delivery and he told he'll come and collect the vehicle personally a week after.

I really got wild.. I blasted those guys and told how unprofessional they are ..
and told them I cannot take the vehicle without the issue getting resolved...

They are still struggling to resolve the issue... I called them again and they say that they are "TRYING" their best to resolve it...

Everything boils down to one point - ARE THEY CAPABLE OF SERVICING A FIAT CAR

I heard that VST Motors in Chennai is a better option.

So please guys stay out of TAFE, if you are thinking of FIAT. The car no doubt is a great car, but dealership and service experience makes me think if I have taken a right decision in choosing Fiat Linea...

Will keep you updated about the progress....

Thanks
qARS

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd November 2010 at 11:22. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed
qAnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:00   #2
BHPian

TAFE reach delivered the car today morning after escalating it to all possible levels. Looks like they took support from Fiat Motors and resolved it.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you try to know what the exact issue was. Just trying to rationalize, car electronics are pretty complicated stuff and you cannot even imagine to have guys "excelling" in electronics to solve the issue. Sometimes machines do go weird and it takes quite some time to resolve.

Why I am writing this is- your inherent assumption seems to be that the issue is small and should not take any longer than a day. But it would be better if you could get the details of why the air bag light is glowing, while it did not before the service etc.

So the questions are:

1) Did the issue crop up because of the service center? if yes then your way forward should be to analyse why did that happen,if there is any thing fishy etc.

2) If the issue were to crop up from the car even if it were to be given to someone else. How would you know if they take any lesser time?

I hope you got my point.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:50   #4
BHPian

I agree with anilisanil. They tried to get help from FIAT and ultimately solved it. Shouldn't really be counted as bad experience. I doubt what other *** would had done in this case.
anupamsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:16   #5
BHPian

I would suggest that thread titles should not be one sided and highly degrading. As others pointed out you have passed the sentence without hearing the case. Please ask the mods to change the thread title to more sober one.
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:42   #6
BHPian

I already own a Maruti Swift and when I compare the quality of service between these two dealers, I could not stop from giving my opinion.

There are other threads which has spoken about TAFE reach and may be my opinion would have got influenced by them.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:09   #7
BHPian

Thumbs up Differennt opinion

Guys,

I had bought my Vista Aura ABS Qjet from TAFE. The buying experience and two services so far and 2-3 running repairs (Tata quality?) have been pleasant.

However, one needs to be patient with them. I guess with all Tata service centers. And most importantly try to build a good relationship. It is an open secret that Tata is trying to improve their A.S.S and currently it is not perfect. Given that using the danda first off exhausts all your options.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
I already own a Maruti Swift and when I compare the quality of service between these two dealers, I could not stop from giving my opinion.
Some random observations:

1. Most (if not all) service stations are following a hardcore assembly line model where the idea seems to be turning around as many cars in a day as possible. Having said that, in my 5 years of Swift ownership I have never seen the kind of personalized attention my friend with a Linea gets at Concorde. On the other hand, if there is any specific issue that you need to be addressed as MASS, you really need to chase the SA guys.

2. Between TAFE Access and Concorde, the comparative experience (both sales and service) with TAFE is woefully short when compared with Concorde. Like you said, I have also formed this opinion based on some of the forum members' experiences with TAFE. Given a choice, I would definitely like to avoid them.

3. Given the nature of problem you described, I guess we do need to cut some slack for these guys. Whoever they approached for finding a solution to the airbag light problem, they did sort it out and within reasonable time at that. Yes asking you to take delivery of the car without solving the actual problem was wrong on their part.
gvivek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

@lsjay: not just with TATA you will HAVE to be patient with any of the ***. The new age cars are not just engine, gears and steering. They are much more complicated and once does not becomes a car mechanic if he did his mechanical engineering from IIT.

I agree there are bad dealers out there, but I personally feel that it is MY responsibility to get my car done by the service center. Sadly, CE is not a big deal in India, until then we HAVE to be like this. It is sad but true, IMHO!

Last edited by anilisanil : 2nd November 2010 at 17:24.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 10:10   #10
BHPian

Default Re: Avoid Tafe Reach Chennai if buying fiat car

Avoid TAFE REACH for all cars.

Though I had gone by stuff on TBHP forums on most things when buying my Manza, I missed the review on the car dealership thread and paid a price. Went to TAFE REACH as lot of friends had good service experience with them and secondly the Pallikaranai showroom was closer to my place.

While I would be posting the entire experience on my initial ownership thread, a small description on what happened on my delivery.

The good folks at the TAFE REACH Pallikaranai showroom had wiped the new but dusty car (after the trip to Tambaram RTO) with a dry cloth before delivery and and created so many dry wipe marks all over the car. Did a pre-delivery inspection prior to registration and none of these marks were there.

Took the issue with their manager. They got some token scrubbing and polishing done which did not help much. Told him that I would be taking this matter up with Tata Motors and he was fine with it stating that most new cars have these marks and the usual Tata response is that for 4-5 lakh vehicle, they can only do much. I told him that Manza is around Rs.8L on road and you cannot apply such logic here. The other thing he said that TML may recommend to repaint the car totally which would affect my resale value later.

Though the Sr. Mgmt and engineering teams at Tata are moving up the value chain, the whole supply chain, plant and delivery chain still has a long way to go. Finally got these marks removed at a 3M authorized dealer who did it for me free as part of the package for anti rust treatment and sunfilm installation.

Even more shocking was a brand new Punto meant for delivery with the garland, which had all its four chrome plated door knobs rusted and dry wipe marks all over it. The Punto top end is same as Manza but with such build quality. No wonder FIAT is selling around 200 odd units in December. After looking at a lot of cars meant for delivery, can state that the paint quality of Tata cars seemed much better than FIAT

I have done close to 1000 KMs on the odo and just wondering where to get my first service done with bad reviews on Concorde, a recent bad review on VST and bad reviews on TAFE Reach but good one from my friends, bad one on OMR Checkpoint.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote