Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 30th December 2010, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Default Booking of Manza and VIN issue

Hi Everyone..
Last one month was hectic for me because I was travelling a lot and also because I was TDing lots of cars. December is the month to purchase a new car and so I was on the job.

First, my family is of 5. Parents (2), wify and kid (7 years old). We were looking for a car which would be comfortable for us to travel together and also go to office on almost regular basis.

Second, our choice was Petrol engine since we are not supposed to travel more than 1200-1300 KM per month (office distance 30 KM/day- total) and may be once in a month outing of about 400-500 KM. we asked the sales people and they also suggested that we should go for petrol one than diesel.

Third, most important which car? We somehow zeroed down on i20 and Manza since only in these 2 cars 5 people can sit comfortably and also were in our budget (7 lacks - upper limit). Within this budget top end models were available for only these 2 (bit) premium looking cars. Yes Yes many other cars fall in this below 7 lack car category but somehow that premium touch is not there.

Forth, we took TD of both these cars at least 2 times (one for short drive and other for bit longer drive-5/6 KM). After lot of discussion/brain storming and all we felt that Manza is better option since i20 is still bit small. Also we liked openness feel of Manza (may be because of spacious interirors and also colour of dashborad, seat covers and all).

Fifth, negotiations for price: As per TATA offer we got Rs.10000 discount since we were booking the car in December 2010. Then accessories (mud flaps, pefume bottle, mattings etc.).

Six: I am purchasing insurance from outside and thus can save approx. Rs. 2000 (compared to what dealer was quoating).
Total cost of car is approx. 6,80,000/- (OTR, Pune) for Manza Saffire Aura +, Silver grey colour (most common colour!)

Only one hitch in here now. VIN (MAT613281ALG23707) tells me that car is manufactured in July 2010 (thanks to wildon for his help on other forum to decode this for me) and booking is made in December 2010. Is this OK with this car? Can anybody tell me?

Still I have not taken the delivery of the car but made the payment in full. The car will go for registration only in next week since I want the car to be registered in 2011. Of course before registration I will have a look at car (physically). What do you guys feel? Share your opinions. What is the normal time frame for Manza to produce and deliver?

One after thought: In Pune previously Pratham Motors (on mumbai highway) and then BU Bhandari (almost 2 months before) were closed down. So now only delaer left is Pandit. Is there any possibility that BU Bhandari's stock has been given to Padit and the car alloted to me is from that (BU Bhandari's) stock. Also FYI, Pandit tells me that on 28th December only this one car is available in Aura +. Is there any fishy? Or I should not worry too much and go for this car?

Last edited by enthu : 30th December 2010 at 12:06.
enthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 12:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Booking of Manza and VIN issue

As a simple matter of fact that the customer is the one who makes the choices, reject this particular car and ask one from a fresher lot. If you are not happy, ask for a newer one.

In other sense, push for max discounts as you now know that that car is in the yard for more than 3 months.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 13:36   #3
BHPian

Please get the vehicle thoroughly checked before taking delivery. This is because if the vehicle has been manufactured in July 2010, it must have reached the dealer around August 2010. From August to December it was lying in stock - so get the rubber components, weather stripping on the doors, lights , wiper blades, windshield washer nozzles and all external plastic parts a good once-over before taking delivery - as these are the parts exposed to sunlight and weathering and likely to get affected - if at all. Also check the insides - especially the carpeting as sometimes these dealers park the vehicles in the stock yards with windows rolled down...oblivious of rain !! Beinf a JULY 2010 car, tyres should be of April - May 2010. Check for minute side wall cracks, cuts, damages - again if any. The leaf screen (the plastic grille just below the wiper arms) also needs to be opened and any residue / dried leaves etc cleaned out from underneath. Switch on headlights and check the headlight levelling working - sometimes it tends to get sticky.
If you can, push the dealer to change the battery, because the battery will typically be of MAY - JUNE 2010 and the warranty on the battery will be from JUNE-JULY 2010 and not DECEMBER 2010. It's always date of manufacture of battery and not date of invoice of vehicle.

Otherwise the car should be mechanically fine. At this time of the year whichever vehicle you buy from any OEM dealer it will be a car from stock so on the smart card your model year of mfg will be 2010.

All the best !!

PS: By the way : why did you leave the FIESTA 1.6 Petrol Exi out of your consideration set? Ford dealers are running a fabulous scheme for December and the 1.6 petrol Fiesta is such a sweet machine :-)
arjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 14:52   #4
BHPian

@nkrishnap and @arjab
Thanks for your suggestions and comments.
I called up the dealer and he says that car is manufactured in Septmber 2010 instead of July 2010 which Wildon has interpreted from the VIN.

Sales guy says that car will be available for inspection on 1st January 2011. I hope I will inspect it carefully. Thanks arjab for your suggestions and what to look at and all list. It will definitely help me.

Also during inspection time I will insist on many more freebies from dealer as nkrishnap suggested.

Ford cars are good but those were bit off budget for me. I could go maximum upto 7 lacks since last year only I purchased a new home (so could not stretch myself more on budget).
Old 30th December 2010, 15:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Enthu, since in Pune, I assume you are purchasing that Manza from Pandit (where I got my Vista from recently). September is a bit too old IMO. If you go through my thread, you'll know how Pandit tried to sell older cars to me as well. Its not a thumb rule that older car is always bad. But you are pouring a lot of money in there and why leave a stone un-turned? A PDI can't make you certain that the car is in pristine condition. If Wildon's thread puts it as July 2010, I'm more inclined to believe that rather than September 2010 as the Sales guy claims.

Check this out -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-cars-59.html (Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars)
Your VIN has "ALG"
A = 2010
G = July
Ask Pandit to prove why this is a September car in their opinion.

They are in mad rush right now to clear older stocks and its better if you don't become one of the buyers of that. Reject this car and insist on a newer made one. You never know WHY this car spent so much time in the stocks when the market is so hot (Or as test drive vehicle with odo wire removed). I'm sure they'll threaten you with delays and you missing the offers and discounts. Smile to them and ask them to cancel the booking if thats the case. You'll see the results. If you definitely want a newer one and the showroom guys don't entertain, as a last resort - write directly to TATA and you'll see a complete turn around in how the showroom behaves.

The maroon, gray shades are also good. If you can change your mind on the colour choice and that one is ready in stock and newer, go for that one instead of the silver IMO.

Of course its totally my opinion and if you find the car in good condition, trust the sales guy & are in a hurry, go for the one currently allotted...

Edit -ARGH! I had missed the last para of your post saying you are checking at Pandit and are worried about fishy practice. Sorry if my comments above seem a bit foolish due to that!

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th December 2010 at 15:51.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 16:57   #6
BHPian

@Reinhard,
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Actually, I asked Pandit 2/3 times that I want a Red colour car however they constantly told me that they do not have that colour. then I told them that may be i will go for i20 instead but still they said then its fine with them because they do not have any other car available with them. So in a sence i threatened them that i will go for another car. However, when they were not changing their position I said its fine allot me silver gray car which anyway our second priority colour. However only after payment they gave me details on chassis number (VIN). I will still try to talk to Pandit but it seems that it will be in vein.
I will also go through your thread on Vista purchase.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

When in doubt don't. Simple.

Why do you want to buy a July'10 manufactured car?? reject it and ask for newer model. If it takes longer let it be! Be safe than sorry!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 17:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
When in doubt don't. Simple.

Why do you want to buy a July'10 manufactured car?? reject it and ask for newer model. If it takes longer let it be! Be safe than sorry!!
My turn on this is, make a thorough PDI and prove them its a July manufactured car. Ask for MORE BENEFITS from them if the car successfully passes the thorough PDI. If you get more benefits, yes you can accept. Without any more benefits than the usual December benefits, I don't think its worth to take a July '10 manufactured car in December.
bhp_maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 17:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

With only 10k discount you are buying an old car. As you will be getting your car registered in 2011 but the model on your RC will show as 2010. You will loose 50k or more on selling price and insured value of the car would be less too.

Its even possible that car might have involved into an accident or could be a test drive car hence it has been unsold for a while.

This deal does not makes sense to me.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 17:54   #10
BHPian

Hi,
Tata Manza in Safire version is a slow moving product, it's Quadrajet version is more popular. Cars lying in stock for more than 3 months tend to give niggling problems. Ask for newer stock or cancel your booking and look for another dealer.
Have you checked out Toyota Etios?
Best wishes and good luck!
icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 18:50   #11
BHPian

guys thanks for the advice. tomorrow i will visit dealer and will talk to him about why he is giving me july manufactured car (and if he says its only september 2010 manufactured car [as he is claiming] then i will ask him the proof for the same-form22!).
In Pune now only Pandit is the dealer left for TATA.
Old 31st December 2010, 03:48   #12
BHPian

Its a july 10 manufactured car and it might have reached the stock yard somewhere in Aug/Sept. Then why the car was in the stock yard for 3 months. There are two reason for the same:
1)Some customers who have booked the car and might have cancelled the car and since it is safire version it remains unsold-- genuine reason.

2)Some customer who have booked the car might have rejected due to some body paint damage/ dents during transit. These things may have been rectifed and the car may now be parked in the stock yard.

It is always better to take a car which is recently manufactured may be in Oct/ Nov.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 11:38   #13
BHPian

This morning cancelled the booking for this car. Let's see if they can deliver me recently (november onwards) manufactured car. Let's keep fingures crossed.

Thanks to all of you who have given suggestions/opinions to me. This has really helped me in deciding that I do not want this old car.
Old 31st December 2010, 11:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

You did the right thing IMO. You'll get a better one. If you want, you can also write to Tata Motors here - 'cac@tatamotors.com'. They have a liaison officer at Pandit and he can change things for sure. Fortunately, TML is now really into the competition mode and every single customer that leaves unhappy is contacted and they do everything they can to assist. Also your feedback will be very useful when they evaluate the showroom.

Btw, how about the VIN? Did they still insist it was a Sept 2010 made car? Did they show you the Form22? Or they accepted it to be July?
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 13:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
You did the right thing IMO. You'll get a better one. If you want, you can also write to Tata Motors here - 'cac@tatamotors.com'. They have a liaison officer at Pandit and he can change things for sure. Fortunately, TML is now really into the competition mode and every single customer that leaves unhappy is contacted and they do everything they can to assist. Also your feedback will be very useful when they evaluate the showroom.

Btw, how about the VIN? Did they still insist it was a Sept 2010 made car? Did they show you the Form22? Or they accepted it to be July?
I talked to dealer and they told it is september 2010 however, when I told them that G (in VIN) stands for July and not September then they said yes yes this is July manufactured car.
thanks for e-mail address. May be now I should wait for their (dealers) response to me and then I can decide how to proceed.