Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 16th February 2011, 15:35   #1

Default Wife's first car experience : Shocking encounter with Classic Automobiles!!

Friends,

I wanted to share a bitter experience that we faced recently with one of the so-called "finest and largest used car dealers in Bangalore”, Classic Automobiles. I was looking to buy a second hand hatchback for my wife for her daily commute to work from home. We had heard about Classic and have also noticed a large number of cars in Bangalore sporting their famous “a” symbol displayed on the number plates of many cars. We landed at their Jayanagar 1st block showroom on a Sunday evening at 7:15pm. We entered their showroom and started looking at some of the hatchbacks that were parked. One of their salesmen met us and enquired about our requirements. Half way when I was explaining my specifications, he turned around and started attending another customer whom he had asked to take a look at some of the cars. I did not take offence to this act but waited patiently for my turn while at the same time, wife took a liking for a Spark which was meeting our requirements. The same salesman again came back and without any apology asked whether we have identified any cars. All of a sudden, the lights were switched off and one of their staff starting waving his hand animatedly by saying…”Time up”…”Time up”…as if I was playing some kind of basketball game!! It became complete dark and we were taken aback by the sheer attitude of a dealer who did not have any decency while attending to customers. When I asked the salesman on what was going on, he was arrogant enough to say that the showroom closes by 8pm. I said it is ok if I had walked in after 8pm but you cannot do this when I arrived at least 45mts before closing time and was in the midst of finalizing my deal. He was not bothered and asked me to come again the next day. We were shocked beyond words and I decided then and there that this is one showroom where I will not come again even if my wife has to without a car for the rest of her life!! (btw, we got a great deal from True Value on a WagonR the following Sunday )

Lessons learnt:

1. Never go late for such important purchases and in the dark especially when you are looking to buy an used car (touch up works, scratches, dents will not be visible and you can possible avoid an unpleasant experience with such rude dealers in town!)

2. Almost all cars are priced higher at Classic and it is expected that you will bargain to reduce the price.

3. Rude and very indifferent salesmen (I am not coming to this conclusion with this one gentleman but this is the same feedback that I received from couple of my friends)
sridharganesan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Wife's first car experience : Shocking encounter with Classic Automobiles!!

You say never go for such purchases when it was dark and end up doing it yourself LOL.. When it comes to used cars, find an individual seller that's the best and recommended thing to do.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Wife's first car experience : Shocking encounter with Classic Automobiles!!

it would be better to go to the "corporatized" used car dealers.
buying from these family owned type dealers can lead to grief unless one has a good contact there -preferably with someone high up on their management system.

since our market is evolving rapidly, I guess it is only a matter of time before the used car dealerships become increasingly corporatized and more transparent.

also with the average usage cycle of cars these days - it is around 3-5 years typically - so the chances of getting a good deal out of the corporate type dealerships are very high.

One may pay a tad more on account of their higher overheads and more rigid discounting/ negotiation policies when compared to a family run dealer, but in return one gets considerable peace of mind and at least a one year guarantee which one can invoke at any time.

Having said all of this, I still am a firm believer that as far as possible one should buy brand new.
However, if one is considering buying used, then one should put some solid efforts towards clinching a private sale from a seller of a good profile, like a corporate exec or self employed professional etc.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th February 2011 at 17:32.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
You say never go for such purchases when it was dark and end up doing it yourself LOL.. When it comes to used cars, find an individual seller that's the best and recommended thing to do.
+1 on that.

I bought a M800 for my wife last year.Even though the car was a decade old, the owner had the service history from the time he bought it.

He also gave me the breakdown service contact, the battery warranty etc.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
+1 on that.
Folks, he has put that up in Lessons Learnt

Sridhar, don't go by the fancy hoardings and the outer look of such second hand car dealers. Good you got a nice deal at true value.

I agree with RJStyles on going with an individual seller if you are buying pre-owned vehicles.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is always difficult to digest these kind of instances. Never make the mistake of going to any car showroom after 0630 or 0700. They are alredy in the mood to leave and will generally not attend to you with care.

Though I have personally not faced any problem in this regard, but am aware of these instances. More so, inspecting a car, and especially in a showroom like the one in Jayanagar becomes difficult. Classic has an exclusive cars showroom on the road to silk board (keep forgetting the name of this road), which is an indoor showroom and hence, you can go late as well.

I have had experience with Classic, when I had been scouting on two occasions for an elantra/ skoda and second time for a car for my wife. I agree they are highly priced and one needs to bargain hard. But in terms of service, atleast to me and my wife, they were very very good. (We are very demanding in nature by the way ;-))

We had finalized almost on a Honda City ZX (think it was a 2006 or 7 model) which initally was quoted at around 6.1 or something, and I was ready for 5. They said no way and all the sorts, and the buyer is not ready and they would need to speak with him. Within few minutes the sales guy spoke on the phone to his boss and they cam down to 5.25 final. I didnt budge. Told them 5 and it is done, but I decided to chuck it and buy a new car for her

But despite their high price, please note that I personally find that Classic and National have clean and good cars
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 18:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is strange... maybe salesmen are not working on commission. Otherwise they are reducing their own pay by turning away customers.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 18:02   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharganesan View Post
Friends,

Lessons learnt:

1. Never go late for such important purchases and in the dark especially when you are looking to buy an used car (touch up works, scratches, dents will not be visible and you can possible avoid an unpleasant experience with such rude dealers in town!)

2. Almost all cars are priced higher at Classic and it is expected that you will bargain to reduce the price.

3. Rude and very indifferent salesmen (I am not coming to this conclusion with this one gentleman but this is the same feedback that I received from couple of my friends)
God has been kind to you, Thank the almighty a million times.

Its good that you never purchased the car from Classic Automobiles, Many of my collegues , Sorry, EVERYONE, had a HORRID experience after buying cars from them, 99% of the cars Classic Automobiles stores are Accidental repair cars, very neatly camouflaged. Its just shiny inside out, but a Mechanical NIGHTMARE. You will literally find NO SERVICE HISTORY of cars at Classic Automobiles.

I would say, better look at cars owned by friends or relatives, OR check for used cars at Authorised Service Centres, atleast you will be able to get its service history.

Why not a Brand New Nano, at lesser the price of a used Spark.?

All the Best for your car hunt.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 18:11   #9
BHPian

My take on this issue:
Almost all the "showroom" looking used car marts are actually our good-old road side garage wallas. Dont expect any decency and manners from them. Also, while dealing with them even we have to show some street-smartness as that's the only language they understand better.
Additionally we have to take our trusted mechanic along for thorough checking of the car. (I have seen my friends accident vehicle being sold by one of the leading used car mart in the country, branding it under some 100+ point check!! )

Disclaimer: There my be some genuine dealers, working honestly. This is my personal opinion based on various encounters with many dealers, while buying/selling used cars for me as well as my friends.
sidms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 19:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

I am not really surprised. Though I have had 2 successful and satisfactory transactions with used-car dealers (actually the same one, First Choice but first in Bangalore in 2007 and then in Pune 2009) the first impression I got was that they are slightly cold and not that eager to push on first visit. It's the exact opposite of what you expect from a "used car salesman"

Switching off lights when a client is in the premises is totally cheap and unforgivable. Give these guys a miss!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 20:11   #11
BHPian

You should have just used the TBHP Classified section and found a nice car from an Individual buyer.

It would have been much easier! I too Suggest a new nano at lesser cost than what you would spend on a 2nd hand.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 20:31   #12
BHPian

I did buy Santro AT from Classic Automobile, Mekari circle branch, Both sales person and manager were very nice and responsive. I will send across your feedback to the manager, hope they deal with such sales man strictly.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite a horrible experience there. Definately dont go back there again,EVER! Great that you found a wagon r for your wife the following week. Its a great car, has great visibility and is efficient too.
I dont understand how they could just switch the lights off. That is extremely rude. How did you manage to walk out in the dark? Especially when a lady is in the premises that is unacceptable. Anyways good luck with the wagon r.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:54   #14
BHPian

i had been to classic automobiles once along with a friend who was lookng for a used zen.
while checking out a car i happened to spot rusting under the door beadings. the sales guy who was with us immediately jumped in saying "sir you cannot check the car like this". we said thanks to the guy and walked out.this was the first and the last time i visted them.dont intend to go there ever again.
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:50   #15

Quote:
Dear rj,

My concluding observations were as a result of my experience at Classic. If I had been so enlightened, why would I go during the late hours. Maybe, I should have clarified that the conclusions were as a result of my experience at Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidms View Post
My take on this issue:
Almost all the "showroom" looking used car marts are actually our good-old road side garage wallas. Dont expect any decency and manners from them. Also, while dealing with them even we have to show some street-smartness as that's the only language they understand better.
Additionally we have to take our trusted mechanic along for thorough checking of the car. (I have seen my friends accident vehicle being sold by one of the leading used car mart in the country, branding it under some 100+ point check!! )

Disclaimer: There my be some genuine dealers, working honestly. This is my personal opinion based on various encounters with many dealers, while buying/selling used cars for me as well as my friends.
Dear sidms,

Surprisingly, one of my colleagues at work narrated a similar experience when I narrated this incident to him. He was mentioning that Classic bought his car and was being displayed at the Indira Nagar showroom (here at Bangalore) as "accident free", "Completely checked" vehicle.
Quite shocking!.

Regards,
Sridhar
sridharganesan is offline   Reply With Quote