Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 9th March 2012, 15:41   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time

One simple question -
Is it a gift or baksheesh or is it extortion? I view it as the latter.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 19:30   #107
Senior - BHPian

In my case gifting is entirely voluntary on my part. No one till date has greedily lurked about overtly at delivery time with paws out stretched and slavering at the jaws if thats what you mean.
I am personally happy to give - much better in my opinion to drive off in ones hard earned new toy, amidst a sense of goodwill and cheer instead of dark thoughts and curses about "how cheap that fellow was"!!

Face it, in India everyone, everywhere, generally tends to expect something - whether they admit it or not is not my concern.
Fact is, that if you give something then you ward off any possible negative thoughts and personally, I prefer that method. Makes me satisfied regardless of what anyone else may think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One simple question -
Is it a gift or baksheesh or is it extortion? I view it as the latter.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 19:38   #108
Team-BHP Support

And here I thought one doesn't tip non-governmental white collar employees.

How would you feel if your customer tips you?
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 20:08   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
And here I thought one doesn't tip non-governmental white collar employees.

How would you feel if your customer tips you?
I worked in the service industry frontline for a few years a long time ago. And yes, there were some customers who used to tip. However, as in all top class Hotels, all tips used to be pooled in for the non managerial staff. So whatever tips were at that time handed over to me or to my colleagues, used to be given into the common pool for the staff. So personally, I ve been there and done that!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 20:25   #110
BHPian

I recently purchased a RITZ VDI. Seeing this thread, I checked with my friends here. THe gifting does not seem to be the norm in Trivandrum
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 20:47   #111
Senior - BHPian

What next - should I tip my fruit seller when I buy a dozen bananas?
Though I must mention - sometimes he tips me - he adds an extra banana free of charge - which is the right direction of the tip - after all I provided him with business.

Last edited by carboy : 9th March 2012 at 20:48.
carboy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 20:50   #112
BHPian

Just wanted to share my delivery experience (since it was my first, alone!).
Reading this thread with varied opinions I was really confused. 'to gift or not to gift- that was the question!.
In my mind its not something which should be there but it is there because people like sharing their joyous occasions with gifts and the SA is the only external person there when taking delivery of a bundle of joy (a car I mean )
Anyways, I finally made the choice based on how well the SA did his job which in my case wasn't too good. The process could have been a lot smoother if he did.
In my mind its based on how well you do your job or how well you perform/interact/form a relationship which deserves 'gifting'.
At the end, I was still not sure so I waited for the delivery day, checked his final attitude towards the sale he made and gave him a last chance (in my head). Final conclusion was again a No. My delivery was made mundane and boring/unexciting due to the lackluster attitude of the SA so I didnt bother to let it bother me anymore.
Personally I dont think gifting should be there, but its the atmosphere of happiness that makes you feel 'gifty'. Plus its like an accepted concept where people dont realise the meaning behind the gifting.

p:s- I dont mean to imply with my post that me (specifically) gifting is like such a big thing for any SA that it would be an honour If I gifted them
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 14:48   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
somethin Our SE, Harikrishnan, in particular is a gem, and I will recommend him to anyone anytime.

I had my EOS 60D with me, so he got one of the other members of EVM TVM (whose name, sadly, I am not sure of - Praveen?) to help, and we got some excellent pics of the delivery process, thanks to Hari's colleague's sincere efforts.
I do not totally discard the idea of gifting to your sales rep. However it shuld not feel like a compulsive decision just like we tip at restaurants, whether we like it or not.

However I agree and advise that if any of us would like to appreciate any Sales rep, one should put his name on TBHP. So that any new buyer would go and look for that particular person.
liferocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 21:51   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
I do not totally discard the idea of gifting to your sales rep. However it shuld not feel like a compulsive decision just like we tip at restaurants, whether we like it or not.
The fact that tipping at restaurants have become a 'compulsory' for all practical purposes is itself ridiculous. If people start tipping sales guys for doing us the favour of selling us stuff, very soon it will also become 'compulsory'.
carboy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 13:55   #115
BHPian

I prefer gifting as per occasion and, if and only if, the deal or the experience has been very smooth and as per my satisfaction.

I dont believe in compulsory tipping. If the service provider is so lousy to have spoiled the experience, then he doesnt deserve it. I dont mind walking out of a restaurant leaving waiter with a zero tip if the service is below expectations. If the waiter cant get the point, it is his problem, aint it?

For my car purchase, i already purchased a gift for the sales rep. She has been very cordial, tried her best to deliver the color i like, in the time frame i liked without the post-budget price hike. Such service is what makes us show our appreciation as a gift/tip.

Last edited by Pallavi : 10th April 2012 at 13:59.
Pallavi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 15:17   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

In my experience it is not the SA (he gets his cut) but the floor staff / attendants who 'demand' a tip. The chap will insist on driving the car out of the showroom to get his bit. I had a very good experience with Pushp Honda Kanpur where they were very helpful and I drove the car out of the showroom. A couple of days later when I went to the showroom to get the plates the 'idiot' installing the plates spoilt the show by asking for a tip!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 20:53   #117
BHPian

I gifted a Parker Pen to the sales guy at delivery time. From his reaction I could judge that he was not expecting it. To me it felt good to gift him something as a gesture to acknowledge his service though the purchase process.
eagles_ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 01:07   #118
BHPian

IMHO Gifting is like falling in love, it just happens if the experience is great! But quite frankly the way dealers and sales reps behave these days (Except a few), you hardly are in the mood to see the guys face ever again.

I feel it depends on person to person as i may click with a sales rep and recommend him to others, however their situation is different and the same sales rep might not be liked by them. This is where the true behaviour of an invidividual comes out when he / she reacts to different situations differently. some know how to handle it, while others don't!

I personally have never gifted a sales rep as i never thought of it and always believed my business is a gift in itself to them, but after thinking about it i'm not against the concept either if it's a "WOW" experience.

I totally agree with the veiws that in India most practices become a minimum expectation later and then start to frustrate buyers as some may not end up having a good experience since start and thinking that the customer won't tip now the SA may make the case even more complicated.

I remember while buying the SX4 the SA rep far too friendly during the sale and all excited to sell the car, however once i told her that i'm going to take a loan from my own bank she tried quite a few stunts (until i called and warned i'll cancel the booking) to make my smooth experience rough!
Karan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 19:15   #119
BHPian

Well I am of another opinion, I would never gift the sales rep as if you really feel he has done good, we should but be gauging his work for gift, rather I would make him my friend for life and probably suggest friends and family to purchase from him. That way he gets his bonuses and makes friends
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 11:56   #120
BHPian

Personally, I am totally against this tipping/gifting business anywhere. My business is in itself a big gift for the SA. Plus if the person does a good job, I would happily refer him to my friends. As a token of appreciation I would drop in a word/mail with his senior applauding his professional and co-ordial nature. This should be more than enough on my part I feel.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote