Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 13th November 2011, 23:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Transfering Car Ownership with Expired Insurance

From Third Party Insurance :

To make the insurer liable the policy of insurance must be in the name of the owner of the vehicle.Owner of the vehicle as defined in Section 2(30) is a person in whose name the motor vehicle stands registered.

According to subsection (2) the transferee has to apply within 14 days from the date of transfer to the insurer for effecting necessary changes in the certificate and in the policy of insurance.
If the certificate of insurance and the policy are not transferred , the insurer could not be made liable even though the vehicle is transferred.

If the vehicle is transferred by an insured to another person, the insurance policy lapses upon the transfer. In such a case the benefit of the policy is not available to the transferee, without an express agreement with the insurance company.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 13th November 2011 at 23:42.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 20:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I have a slight variation of the problem of the OP. But the status as given above. I purchased a Zen. Got it transferred to my name, but somehow did not get the insurance transferred in my name What is the legal position if the car gets into problem? I did remit the insurance policy amount and it is current (expiry Oct 2012) . How to get it transferred in My name in Trivandrum?
Go to the insurance office with original insurance policy and RC book / card and pay something like INR 20/- or 50/- for the transfer.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 22:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Go to the insurance office with original insurance policy and RC book / card and pay something like INR 20/- or 50/- for the transfer.
Thanks. I went today to a nearby office to get it confirmed. I will go to the particular branch to get it transferred in my name. These offices are yet to be networked , so you have to go to the office in which the premium is paid to have this transferred
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote