Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 2nd December 2015, 03:58   #1
BHPian

Default Is Flood damage covered by insurance?

Hello Guys,

With the ongoing mayhem in Chennai and surrounding cities due to rain, many of the cars/Bikes have been submerged completely in rain water. Can these vehicles be brought back to its original shape? If not, will the insurance companies payback? I thought of posting this question so that it could be helpful to someone in this time of need.

Mods: Kindly move it to the appropriate thread if required. I posted this here to grab some attention and get some quick responses.
gabrielthomas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Is Flood damage covered by insurance?

As far as I know, most insurance policies do not cover damages due to natural calamities, act of war etc.. Car getting submerged due to rains and flooding will be considered a natural calamity. So I don't think the insurance will cover it. It also could be on a case by case basis depending on the number of vehicles impacted.

Not sure if some kind of add on can be bought to cover this also.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Is Flood damage covered by insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Can these vehicles be brought back to its original shape? If not, will the insurance companies payback?
The cars can be repaired depending upon the extent of damage assessed by the Workshop. In a similar situation in Mumbai floods in 2005, most of the cars got submerged stranded but were repaired and Insurance was claimed in such cases. Please see the quote from Insurance policy pasted below, should be generally same for all Insurance co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As far as I know, most insurance policies do not cover damages due to natural calamities, act of war etc.. Car getting submerged due to rains and flooding will be considered a natural calamity. So I don't think the insurance will cover it. It also could be on a case by case basis depending on the number of vehicles impacted.
Insurance can be claimed, please see highlighted and underlined below.

Quote:
SECTION I LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE INSURED
1. The Company will indemnify the insured against loss or damage to
the vehicle insured hereunder and/or its accessories whilst thereon
i. by fire explosion self ignition or lightning;
ii. by burglary housebreaking or theft;
iii. by riot and strike;
iv. by earthquake (fire and shock damage);
v. by flood typhoon hurricane storm tempest inundation cyclone
hailstorm frost;

vi. by accidental external means;
vii. by malicious act;
viii. by terrorist activity
ix. whilst in transit by road rail inland-waterway lift elevator or air;
x. by landslide rockslide.
Subject to a deduction for depreciation at the rates mentioned below in
respect of parts replaced:
(1) For all rubber/nylon/plastic parts, tyres and
tubes, batteries and air bags - 50%
(2) For fibre glass components - 30%
(3) For all parts made of glass - Nil
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:48   #4
BHPian

I think floods are covered in insurance, there were lots of cars damaged in Srinagar( j&k) floods last year, my friend works in VW and he told me that any car which had water uptill its hood was considered as 'total loss' and non repairable and compensation was given accordingly.
amit_snk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:19   #5
BHPian

Hi,

Floods & flash floods due to heavy rain are covered in comprehensive insurance. However driving knowingly in water or flood such that it may causes damage to your car is typically not covered unless the insurance includes "Drive Assure" package (of Bajaj Allianz) or similar package of other insurance companies.

Related Thread (No Insurance for car driven "carelessly" through floods)

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2015 at 12:00. Reason: Adding link to related thread :)
Wanderers is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote