Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 16th June 2017, 12:25   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Insurance claim after Powerbank explodes inside a car?

As per the exclusions mentioned on the Bharti AXA website there's no mention of any special kind of fire which is not covered.

Fire, unless it is intentional damage, should be covered by insurance.

You should ask them to point out in the fine print of the policy as to why this particular damage is not covered.
Where is the definition of fire given?
Kestrel5915 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 12:28   #17
BHPian

Slightly

A similar incident happened to me last month. I keep a can of pepper spray in my glove box all the time. Last month, I gave my car for periodic maintenance service and then left the spray can along with mobile charger and some other stuff wrapped in a cotton bag on the parcel tray and it had been left like that for days (shame on my part for being so negligent).

Then one fine day, I had to park my alto under direct sunlight and by evening it happened, the spray can exploded and ripped off the cotton bag, spilling all the contents inside the cabin. The moment I entered the car, I almost coughed my lungs out and my skin sweltered like hell. Luckily, the cotton bag had absorbed much of the force and prevented physical damage to the cabin.

P.S: Be cautious about what you leave inside your car!

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 16th June 2017 at 12:30. Reason: Adjusted spacing :)
Pferdestarke is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 12:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesh View Post
Ambrane power bank but I guess any power bank would have met the same fate.
Ambrane doesn't specify what kind of batteries they use. On the other hand companies like Mi specify that they use batteries from reputed manufacturers like LG and Panasonic. One should always consider this aspect while buying products with batteries.
BTW did you keep your power bank at a spot where direct sunlight was falling on it?
PraNeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 13:14   #19
BHPian

Will I have to be cautious even with a fire extinguisher which I keep in the car ?
If yes, what's a safe place to keep it ?
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Let's say I'm on a road-trip with my family and someone is carrying a powerbank in their luggage. Am I supposed to screen bags (like they do at airports) before they go in the boot? What about laptops? So many people carry their laptops in the cabin or boot. What if the battery explodes? Will the insurance company say no? What if a mobile phone explodes?
Hi GTO, I think all these cases of explosion are where the product is left under direct sunlight, for example dashboard, rear parcel tray where the sun rays have a magnifying effect due to glass. One bhpian reported a similar issue (Review: Android Head-Unit in my Maruti SX4) of his GPS antenna melting. Thus such products should never be left exposed to direct sunlight and at best not left in the car. Always carry phone, laptops etc in a backpack which shields them from heat.

While leaving from office, I put my laptop to sleep before putting it in my backpack. On few occasions after reaching home I noticed the laptop was powered on (sleep command cancelled due to accidental power button press / I forgot to put the laptop to sleep ), and laptop fan working on full blast. Thankfully no blasts.

Reputed manufacturers have software checks on phone temperature and shut down the phone forcibly if the temperature exceeds the safe limit. The batteries also come with a overcharge protection circuit built into them. One small miss and it can lead to a catastrophic disaster.

Here is a video explaining how a small miss costed Samsung so dearly.

PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 14:12   #21
BHPian

Now this makes me think. Anybody sure of heat bearing capacity of alkaline batteries?

I keep a LED Flashlight in my car that is powered by a single 1.5v battery. This comes in handy lots of time in my basement parking and might help me in night if there be a need. Should I worry next time I park in sun?
vidyanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 14:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I made the mistake of leaving a Powerbank inside the car and it exploded due to heat while it was parked. The interiors of the car were burnt.

I have sent the car to the dealer and today their claims department told me that Bharti AXA (from which the insurance is) stated this claim doesn't come under insurance.

I see the inclusion in policy "Natural calamities: Fire, explosion..." shouldn't this cover it? Any suggestions?
The insurance company might try to pass off your claim by saying its a deliberate accidental loss, which is not the case over here. There have been cases where, perfume/air freshener bottles kept on the dashboard of the car have exploded and insurance companies have paid for such damages.

Had the case been, where a person had fitted a CNG tank to his car, which was not disclosed to the insurance company and in the event of a claim if it is established that the damage was caused because of the CNG tank fitted, then the insurance company has the right to reject the claim.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 15:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Will I have to be cautious even with a fire extinguisher which I keep in the car ?
If yes, what's a safe place to keep it ?
We were buying a fire extinguisher for my wife's new car. The shop owner here however advised against it saying that he has had quite a few complaints from buyers of extinguishers bursting in the car.

I have an extinguisher in the car myself, which I keep under the seat (and which hasnt burst so far), but then again the position means that the fire extinguisher is probably never exposed to sunlight.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 16:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I made the mistake of leaving a Powerbank inside the car and it exploded due to heat while it was parked. The interiors of the car were burnt.
Yikes !! Sorry to hear about this, was the damage extensive? or was it just the part of the seat or floor that the powerbank was kept on?

I was planning on using my old android phone as a low-cost GPS in my car, perhaps best to reconsider as a result of this.

Maybe considering the amount of gadgets we carry around in our vehicles now, a fire extinguisher in the car would be a good idea.
Redline6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 17:51   #25

Ouch! That would surely pinch! Fortunately no one was hurt and that's what matters most.

So along with aerosol sprays (car perfumes), we now have one more addition to the "restricted" list.
Ikonification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 18:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Insurance companies basically have a ready list of incidents (e.g. road accident, theft etc.); anything off that list is first met with rejection.
True, nowadays the number of cases in metros is so high that the insurance companies just want to clear out as many cases as possible.

Though one more thing to consider is the level of damage. If the damage is less, then they might as well pass the claim rather than lose face.

Quote:
Technically speaking, the claim is payable by the company. It's an accident afterall.

Quote:
I see the inclusion in policy "Natural calamities: Fire, explosion..." shouldn't this cover it? Any suggestions?
This clause won't cover it.

Quote:
I have sent the car to the dealer and today their claims department told me that Bharti AXA (from which the insurance is) stated this claim doesn't come under insurance.
Don't trust the dealer guys! Most of them have no clue about the clauses in the policy. One case that is out of the ordinary, they try to reduce their own load of paperwork by saying that it won't be possible.

Claim insurance or not, they would anyways get the money they want - from you or the insurance company.

Here are a few points that I think you should consider:

1. Intimate the claim. 15 days after the accident is the limit as far as I know.
2. Let the surveyor come and check the car. Ask the dealership to tell you when the surveyor is coming. You would anyways receive the number so speak to him.
3. Talk to him if the claim can be passed or not.
4. If he says, it cannot be passed, ask on what grounds it cannot be passed.
5. Try to get him to talk to his superiors if he still says no. Ask that you yourself want to talk to his superiors.
6. If they still say No, then put in a request for withdrawal. This way you would be saving your NCB (No Claim Bonus) as well.

P.S. Try to get in writing as to on what grounds the claim cannot be passed (email / letter).

Last edited by Omkar : 16th June 2017 at 18:08.
Omkar is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 19:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Maybe considering the amount of gadgets we carry around in our vehicles now, a fire extinguisher in the car would be a good idea.
Fire extinguisher should anyway be in the car.
Cease Fire makes good quality ones.
Better not to go for cheap ones since they themselves have a tendency to explode in heat.
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 19:42   #28
BHPian

Well since the topic of the conversation has expanded beyond the particular incident posted by the OP; and since we are talking about 'potential hazardous' things that we carry in the car - here are a few items that also call for notice:
  • Aerosol based car Sprays like Godrej Aer / Fabreze (not the gel / liquid ones)
  • Li-on batteries in torches etc (In one of my previous cars - the cells leaked and spoilt the insides of the glove box
  • There could be others, members can pitch in.

Another hazard is all the aftermarket car chargers - one to many types, you can get Car chargers today that have 3 - 4 charging slots. Have also seen a thread on 'Carputers', all of these just add to the potential fire hazards, that just get worse in our hellish summers + open parking.

I have started keeping the Air spray in a nifty drawer I have under the passenger car seat and have stopped using my car chargers, Power banks are with me in office and used while driving (so I guess the risk of damage is less).
GJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 21:37   #29
BHPian

Powerbanks made of 18650 Rechargeable Lithium ion battery are more dangerous than Li-ion Polymer. else keeping a cell phone itself in car can be a cause of worry.
Fabiaous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 06:30   #30
BHPian

Going through the thread, I have been thinking: Will it be safer if power banks are kept only at half charge? Also on Amazon, there is a solar power ventilator fan which mounts on a side window and extracts the hot air. Just cost a few hundred rupees. I don't know how long it will last and how effective. I think I will place an order for one and see if it works.
SanjayDalal is offline   Reply With Quote