Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 1st January 2007, 18:49   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
I don't see a day too far away in India, when a 22 year old shall have to pay a premium of 70% above that paid by a 35 year old for exactly the same vehicle. 'High risk', you see...
From the news paper reports, it seems you dont have to wait long for this to happen. The age of the driver, his claim history and the no.of years of driving experience (with a license, of course) will play a part in fixing the insurance premium. I dont have any statistics to prove that younger aged drivers create more accidents than aged (experienced) drivers. But personally, I am a less rash driver now after 12 yrs of driving, compared to how I used to drive in my early 20s. For an experiencd driver, if he drives carefully and doesnt make claims every year, why should he shell out the same premium as another guy who is just the opposite?
vivekkr_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 20:22   #17
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
... From the news paper reports, it seems you dont have to wait long for this to happen. ...
I know. Welcome to insurance hell!

Quote:
... I dont have any statistics to prove that younger aged drivers create more accidents than aged (experienced) drivers. But personally, I am a less rash driver now after 12 yrs of driving, compared to how I used to drive in my early 20s. ...
Amen! Am still a bit nuts, but then who isn't?

Quote:
... For an experiencd driver, if he drives carefully and doesnt make claims every year, why should he shell out the same premium as another guy who is just the opposite?
I just hope the scalping insurance companies see this the same way. With my luck & the state of the regulatory authorities, it looks like I'll be 52 years old with an impossibly clean driving record before I'd be able to afford the premium on a Maruti 800!

More pertinent to most members on this forum, how will these changes affect the aftermarket modifications industry? Will they even clamp down on something as simple as a universal low restriction air intake, or will it take more serious mods to come under the scanner? And who'll decide your premium finally?

Last edited by elf : 1st January 2007 at 20:29.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 20:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I just hope the scalping insurance companies see this the same way. With our luck & the state of regulatory authorities, it looks like we'll be 52 years old with an impossibly clean driving record before we'd be able to afford the premium on a Maruti 800!
Well said, but I really hope it wont be as bad as that... We can only wait to see what exactly unfolds in the insurance "drama".

Quote:
More pertinent to most members on this forum, how will it these changes affect the aftermarket modifications industry? Will they even clamp down on something as simple as a universal low restriction air intake, or will it take more serious mods to come under the scanner? And who'll decide your premium finally?
Yes, how this detariffing is gonna affect the existing premiums is not known. There will be a lot of hue and cry on whatever premium rates are fixed and whatever be the criteria for that. It may take some time for the dust to settle and things to become clearer.
vivekkr_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 23:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Apart from this, if u had a crash/claimed insurance in the previous year.
Ur insurance premium would go up depending on the claim amount.
This happens abroad.

Also, if i was driving my dad's car and crash, can the insurance be claimed??

Last edited by nitrous : 2nd January 2007 at 00:00.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote