Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 28th February 2015, 11:38   #61
BHPian

Default Re: What to do in case of a minor car accident

Need advice: I was involved in minor accident at an intersection wherein a scooter hit my car close to the rear left wheel. Luckily no one was seriously injured. The blame was put on me, couldn't find a scratch on my car, but the scooter had its front bumper and plastics broken. I assume this was due to the fall. The local cops (Hoyasala) dispersed the crowd and the matter was settled at Rs 2500 and the cops asked me to leave.
Since it was night and I was alone, I didn't want to stay any longer at the spot. Question: Should I report this incident to the jurisdictional traffic police station? So that in future there are no claims or extortion demands.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 12:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I assume this was due to the fall. The local cops (Hoyasala) dispersed the crowd and the matter was settled at Rs 2500 and the cops asked me to leave.
Hi
you have not mentioned your perspective of the accident, and who was at fault and so on, and therefore unable to suggest any alternate course of action. You mention that the matter was settled at Rs.2500 and I would assume that you and the other party agreed. Hence pay Rs2500 and make a written agreement that the other party took the compensation and that the matter is settled and thus avoid having doubt of further claim from other party. But if you wish not to go pay as agreed mutually then without facts it is difficult to ascertain a course of action
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 19:09   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Hi
you have not mentioned your perspective of the accident, and who was at fault and so on, and therefore unable to suggest any alternate course of action. You mention that the matter was settled at Rs.2500 and I would assume that you and the other party agreed. Hence pay Rs2500 and make a written agreement that the other party took the compensation and that the matter is settled and thus avoid having doubt of further claim from other party. But if you wish not to go pay as agreed mutually then without facts it is difficult to ascertain a course of action
Regarding fault, both parties claimed their innocence. The usual big vehicle vs. small vehicle card was played out, plus no damage on my car vs. some visible damage on the scooter, plus it was area dominated by a certain community and the victims were of that community. The money was paid and accepted by the other party in the presence of police. Since it was late and considering the area, I decided to move out without any documentary proof (only the inspector would be the proof). I have decided to wait it out and take up the matter legally if it arises again.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 09:33   #64

Over the weekend in Kolhapur, a friends car was damaged by a new learning driver, a 12 yr old kid, while he was trying to learn how to drive a bike.
Friends car was stand still in the parking. Car is hit pretty badly with damage on the door and sides.

Kid's father, who was nearby, showing how to drive bike, was nearby. Incidentally he is a Lawyer who came to us and told us we cant do anything about it. We cant goto police and launch complaint or cant goto Insurance company as the kid who hit our Car in minor. How true is that?

He was very arrogant in his approach as if he was threatening us not to do anything
AKNAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 10:33   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNAN View Post

Kid's father, who was nearby, showing how to drive bike, was nearby. Incidentally he is a Lawyer who came to us and told us we cant do anything about it. We cant goto police and launch complaint or cant goto Insurance company as the kid who hit our Car in minor. How true is that?

He was very arrogant in his approach as if he was threatening us not to do anything
You can and you must go and file a case. The child might be a minor but you can put a case against the parent for diminished responsibility
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 10:45   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNAN View Post
We cant goto police and launch complaint or cant goto Insurance company as the kid who hit our Car in minor. How true is that?
Not true. Remember the infamously famous Mohammed Nisham who let his 9 year old kid drive a ferrari? He was arrested for it. Definitely go and register a case.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote