Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 07:49   #1876
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 214
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
F50:
If you had good amount of NCB then should have registered on your name itself if not then ...
I too initially thought so cause previous car was with me for 5 yrs.

However a lawyer friend suggested that merchant navy professionals in particular should register car on spouse's name. The logic is that in most unfortunate case of our vehicles involving in an accident, court will ask to deposit passport and hence job goes for a toss. If vehicle is on wife's name, no harm depositing her passport. He in fact mentioned a case in hand whereby the involved master (captain) is withheld from sailing for over an year as his vehicle hit a pedestrian who is now good for almost nothing. Interestingly, at that time the vehicle was driven by his saala.

Apologies for going
sindabad.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:36   #1877
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 4 Times
Unhappy Claim insurance or out-of-pocket repair to save NCB?

Hi guys,

Need some advice choosing between insurance claim and getting it done from my pocket.

I had an unfortunate incident where a tree branch fell off the tree and landed on my (just 3 month old ) car's bonnet. As expected, it left a little dent & a surface scratch and to make matters worse, it also got entangled with my wiper which broke off when I pulled out the branch.

Now I am wondering if I should go for insurance claim or should I pay it off myself? Insurance claim will definitely eat up my NCB.

Is it fine if I just take a quote from the insurance surveyor and if I find it higher than the expected NCB, then I could for the claim or else get it done myself?

I have a Maruti WagonR that was purchased in January this year with Maruti Insurance (via Royal Sundaram).

Here are some pics of the damage:

Name:  IMAG0142.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  80.6 KB
Name:  IMAG0143.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  143.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0144.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  87.2 KB

And while I am at it, I thought maybe I can also get a cover for my fog lamp which I lost when an auto cut me sharply from the right and left my car looking like this:

Name:  IMAG0145.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  118.1 KB

Please lemme know your thoughts

Regards
Dhrupadh

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd April 2012 at 15:14. Reason: deleting duplicate pics
dhrupadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:44   #1878
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,805
Thanked: 1,803 Times
Red face Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

@drupadh,

Is the Wagon R new or preowned? The best thing to do is get a quote from Maruti for the repairs and local FNG. Compare and see if the cost of repair is more than the NCB amount saved. If so then claim insurance, if not then get it repaired by local garage.

How come the wiper snapped? Seems a very cheap one used by maruti.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:33   #1879
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Its a new WagonR purchased in Jan'12.

I just asked the Maruti folks Sagar Automobiles who are next to my office and they say its gonna cost between 4K to 4.5K.

Donno any local denting garages who would do this job. If anyone knows any, who can do a good job (since its a new car) in & around Bannerghatta Road/Hosur road, I'd be very grateful.

The wiper got entangled with the branches and when I pulled it out, it came out along. I realized only after the branch was off. The branch was really heavy and I dont think any good quality wiper could have resisted that weight.

Looking for local garages in and around Bannerghatta Road / Hosur Road.
dhrupadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:45   #1880
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,605
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Need some help here.
I have a Bharti AXA Zero Dep policy for my VW Polo. Yesterday I gave my car for accidental repair work which included a dent on the RHS door and a dent on the rear bumper. Both occured at the same instane yet the surveyer is not accepting this claim. He is only ready to cover the damage for the door and not the bumper. What should I do in this case? My policy gives me 100% cover and still they are not giving me this.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:16   #1881
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,805
Thanked: 1,803 Times
Unhappy Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Need some help here.
I have a Bharti AXA Zero Dep policy for my VW Polo. Yesterday I gave my car for accidental repair work which included a dent on the RHS door and a dent on the rear bumper. Both occured at the same instane yet the surveyer is not accepting this claim. He is only ready to cover the damage for the door and not the bumper. What should I do in this case? My policy gives me 100% cover and still they are not giving me this.
That is strange. What is the reason given by the Surveyor for not accepting the bumper repair claim? Does he not have the quote of the repair cost from the workshop? If he is adamant, try talking to the customer care of Bharati Axa. Was the policy taken directly from Axa or through some one?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:24   #1882
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,605
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
That is strange. What is the reason given by the Surveyor for not accepting the bumper repair claim? Does he not have the quote of the repair cost from the workshop? If he is adamant, try talking to the customer care of Bharati Axa. Was the policy taken directly from Axa or through some one?
He's not ready to accept that both damages happened at once!! He is being adamant so I guess I'll have to reach the higher representative. It was bought directly from Bharti.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:26   #1883
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,693
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Need some help here.
I have a Bharti AXA Zero Dep policy for my VW Polo. Yesterday I gave my car for accidental repair work which included a dent on the RHS door and a dent on the rear bumper. Both occured at the same instane yet the surveyer is not accepting this claim. He is only ready to cover the damage for the door and not the bumper. What should I do in this case? My policy gives me 100% cover and still they are not giving me this.
1) Can you in brief tell me what you told the surveyor?

2) What reason is surveyor giving for not considering this as ONE accident?

3) Can you please tell the exact places where the dents are? RHS - Driver or Rear and bumper - left, right or centre?
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:42   #1884
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,605
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50

1) Can you in brief tell me what you told the surveyor?

2) What reason is surveyor giving for not considering this as ONE accident?

3) Can you please tell the exact places where the dents are? RHS - Driver or Rear and bumper - left, right or centre?
1. I was taking a right turn when a rickshaw came in to overtake from right and hit the side door. I braked suddenly and a swift hit the rear bumper.

2. He says it cannot happen in this way. It would be two different accidents.

3. Right rear door bottom and a crack and dent on the rear bumper RHS.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:02   #1885
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,693
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
1. I was taking a right turn when a rickshaw came in to overtake from right and hit the side door. I braked suddenly and a swift hit the rear bumper.

2. He says it cannot happen in this way. It would be two different accidents.

3. Right rear door bottom and a crack and dent on the rear bumper RHS.
Claim is payable. No doubt about it.

Can you PM me the name of the surveyor?

Also try talking to AXA about it.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:02   #1886
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,805
Thanked: 1,803 Times
Angry Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
2. He says it cannot happen in this way. It would be two different accidents.

3. Right rear door bottom and a crack and dent on the rear bumper RHS.
Both the repair jobs are at the rear RHS although the damage may be done by different sources. What is the workshop's take on this? If the Surveyor says it cant be be one accident, ask him to give it in writing. Parallely talk to Axa superiors and report this guy's comments.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:09   #1887
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,693
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
I too initially thought so cause previous car was with me for 5 yrs.

However a lawyer friend suggested that merchant navy professionals in particular should register car on spouse's name. The logic is that in most unfortunate case of our vehicles involving in an accident, court will ask to deposit passport and hence job goes for a toss. If vehicle is on wife's name, no harm depositing her passport. He in fact mentioned a case in hand whereby the involved master (captain) is withheld from sailing for over an year as his vehicle hit a pedestrian who is now good for almost nothing. Interestingly, at that time the vehicle was driven by his saala.

Apologies for going
Hey, no knowledge is

Exactly, your unfortunate event could only arise from a TP claim. But hey, why take a chance! Great advice from your lawyer buddy. I have few captains as clients but all retired.

Im assuming this is applicable to pilots as well?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrupadh View Post
Its a new WagonR purchased in Jan'12.

I just asked the Maruti folks Sagar Automobiles who are next to my office and they say its gonna cost between 4K to 4.5K.
Dhrupadh,

As you mentioned, its a new vehicle. Assuming, you have NOT carried forward old car's NCB to the WagonR, you are entitled for 20% NCB at next renewal. Just guessing, the next year's IDV would be Rs. 350,000/- your NCB amount should be 2000 odd.

I would suggest claim the accident.

P.S - Your fog lamp will NOT be included in the same accident as they both arise from different accidents. Still if you can talk through the surveyor or garage guys they might sneak this one in. Try your luck though!

Last edited by F50 : 3rd April 2012 at 15:32.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:26   #1888
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 815 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Finally the Insurance guy came back with the work sheet on the premium details. Here they are

Name:  Insurance.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  26.3 KB

Quiet shocked looking at Third Party component.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 3rd April 2012 at 17:30.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:49   #1889
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Dhrupadh,

As you mentioned, its a new vehicle. Assuming, you have NOT carried forward old car's NCB to the WagonR, you are entitled for 20% NCB at next renewal. Just guessing, the next year's IDV would be Rs. 350,000/- your NCB amount should be 2000 odd.

I would suggest claim the accident.

P.S - Your fog lamp will NOT be included in the same accident as they both arise from different accidents. Still if you can talk through the surveyor or garage guys they might sneak this one in. Try your luck though!
You are right. This is my first vehicle so no NCB was carry forwarded.

When I bought the car, I paid a total insurance amount of Rs. 12,456/- for an IDV of Rs. 3,80,062/. 10% deduction in IDV will be Rs. 342056/-

Assuming that the OWN DAMAGE component of the premium is calculated as a percentage of the next year's IDV as calculated above (please correct if wrong), the renewal premium will be around Rs. 9626/- (only OWN DAMAGE).

So will the NCB be 20% of this value or the total premium?

And for the Fog lamp, its fine. Its just that the plastic cover got dislodged and fell off which anyway costs something around Rs. 50/- so I wont bother about it.

Anyway, after looking through the directory, I found the address of Sai Colorium in JP Nagar and they are quoting around 3.5K.

So now I am thinking, if I have to pay this much amount anyway, I'd be better off by claiming insurance. That way, since I am still learning driving, if something happens again, I can claim that as well without worrying about loosing the NCB. Whats your opinion on this?

Regards
Dhrupadh
dhrupadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:00   #1890
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,693
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrupadh View Post
You are right. This is my first vehicle so no NCB was carry forwarded.

When I bought the car, I paid a total insurance amount of Rs. 12,456/- for an IDV of Rs. 3,80,062/. 10% deduction in IDV will be Rs. 342056/-

Assuming that the OWN DAMAGE component of the premium is calculated as a percentage of the next year's IDV as calculated above (please correct if wrong), the renewal premium will be around Rs. 9626/- (only OWN DAMAGE).

So will the NCB be 20% of this value or the total premium?
Yes. 20% on the OD premium only. I think your next year's renewal amount including TP should be less than 10k.

Above that, with 342,xxx/- as your IDV your NCB won't cross 22xx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrupadh View Post
So now I am thinking, if I have to pay this much amount anyway, I'd be better off by claiming insurance. That way, since I am still learning driving, if something happens again, I can claim that as well without worrying about loosing the NCB. Whats your opinion on this?

Regards
Dhrupadh
Claim it. You are paying premium for that


Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Quiet shocked looking at Third Party component.
Yeah new TP premium rates!

Last edited by F50 : 3rd April 2012 at 22:02.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health insurance queries? Ask me! Haste Shifting gears 350 22nd November 2016 19:29
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section rocksterraghu In-Car Entertainment 695 9th August 2016 07:54
Automobile Insurance - FAQ rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 71 28th October 2015 18:28
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks