Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 09:52   #2026
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@anjanravi,
Sad to know about the accident, I hope you are safe and the other occupants too.
Regarding your queries (read the policy document for depreciation rates)
1) Insurer will pay only for the metal depreciation and not for the painting and labour, most of the Insurers dont, its the workshop's call on that. But if the bonnet is replaced directly why would it need painting, does it come unpainted. Pls verify.
2 & 3)This should be direct part replacement and will cost as per the spare price.
In case of any doubt please get it verified with the workshop and the Insurer again. Looking at the bill, the damage seems to be quite heavy. Was the engine too damaged?
Here is the complete detail of the accident.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ash-truck.html (Nissan Micra Head On Crash with Truck.)
1. it seems to be the norm these days where the body parts arrive and then need to be painted to the body color of the vehicle. Had a similar experience with my sx4 sometime ago. Paid 2500 for rear bumper +5000 for painting it. Did not claim insurance then.
No engine damage at all. Will upload the original estimate here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
This is unrealistic figure IMO. Please verify whether the new bonnet comes unpainted and cost of painting should be less then half of the amount mentioned here.
Shocked me as well! Uploading an image of the original estimate. Check out Part no. 19. Hood. 3741 part price. 8450 painting. New bonnet comes unpainted. All body parts come unpainted actually.
anjanravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 11:47   #2027
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Here is the estimate. @bluevolt. check part 19 for the price of hood.
Another strange thing. Cost of foglamps is 15000 while headlamp comes to about 2500!
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-parts-estimate-0933.jpg  

anjanravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 14:48   #2028
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,761
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

@anjanravi: Based on my experience, painting and denting complete cost will be covered under insurance.
However, I heard that from April 1, 2012, insurance companies have started factoring depreciation for that as well. But, I don't have first hand information to confirm on this.
8500 is high for painting the bonnet. I would expect the cost to be around 5000 from A.S.S and even less from outside.
However, if this is completely covered by insurance, then you might as well go ahead since you will not be spending from your pocket.

For glass, the cover is 100%.
For metal parts, the cover will be 90% (considering you stated 10% depreciation). So for example, all your suspension related parts will fall under this category.
For plastic, it should be 50%. So, for example if your headlamps are plastic ones, then you will have to bear around 50% cost.
Other comments:
Parts like aluminium wheel are very expensive as stated in the list above.

You will have to pay Rs. 500 as claim charges and also expect to have an increased premium next year when you renew.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 15:53   #2029
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@anjanravi: Based on my experience, painting and denting complete cost will be covered under insurance.
However, I heard that from April 1, 2012, insurance companies have started factoring depreciation for that as well. But, I don't have first hand information to confirm on this.
8500 is high for painting the bonnet. I would expect the cost to be around 5000 from A.S.S and even less from outside.
However, if this is completely covered by insurance, then you might as well go ahead since you will not be spending from your pocket.

For glass, the cover is 100%.
For metal parts, the cover will be 90% (considering you stated 10% depreciation). So for example, all your suspension related parts will fall under this category.
For plastic, it should be 50%. So, for example if your headlamps are plastic ones, then you will have to bear around 50% cost.
Other comments:
Parts like aluminium wheel are very expensive as stated in the list above.

You will have to pay Rs. 500 as claim charges and also expect to have an increased premium next year when you renew.
I spoke to Sherif Nissan after reading your post and they say that insurance will cough up 80% of the painting charges. I know the charge is exorbitant but I think I'll have to get it done by them only as they are willing to pay a decent portion.
I thought I would be getting 100% for my headlamps and foglamps but you just reminded me that they could be plastic parts as well! In that case I'll ask them not to add the foglamps as they are super expensive. 15000Rs and even if insurance pays 50% I'll have to pay 7500. I want to finish this as cheaply as possible and the lack of foglamps is not going to affect my driving
anjanravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 16:40   #2030
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Have a query, may have been answered but the volume of searching pages and my inability to get a proper search result means i need to post this
1. I understand that if i buy a used car and renew the insurance, the NCB is not valid. However if i have TRANSFERRED the insurance from previous owner, then when renewing i should get? Or looking at the previous years policy/RC book they would know its an ownership transfer and not give NCB?
2. Is there much use of bumper to bumper policy, is it worth the extra money?
hemantbsutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 16:50   #2031
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Have a query, may have been answered but the volume of searching pages and my inability to get a proper search result means i need to post this
1. I understand that if i buy a used car and renew the insurance, the NCB is not valid. However if i have TRANSFERRED the insurance from previous owner, then when renewing i should get? Or looking at the previous years policy/RC book they would know its an ownership transfer and not give NCB?
2. Is there much use of bumper to bumper policy, is it worth the extra money?
I may not be providing the exact answer you're looking for but here is what happened with me.
I had a 9 year old Santro (I was the first owner) and then I exchanged it for a second hand SX4 from a Used Car Dealership. In my 9 years of Santro ownership, I had never claimed insurance. When the time came to renew SX4's insurance, I used United India, the same company and agent I had used for the Santro. I got a 30% NCB on the SX4's insurance renewal.
2. Depends on the car. If its an Alto with black moulded bumpers (not body color) I would say don't take the bumper2bumper. If its something like a Skoda Superb, its recommended that you do take max. add-ons on the insurance. Reason being the cost of an Alto bumper would be so cheap that the extra premium you're paying wouldn't be justified.
Hope this helps you
anjanravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 17:33   #2032
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 1,344 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Have a query, may have been answered but the volume of searching pages and my inability to get a proper search result means i need to post this
1. I understand that if i buy a used car and renew the insurance, the NCB is not valid. However if i have TRANSFERRED the insurance from previous owner, then when renewing i should get? Or looking at the previous years policy/RC book they would know its an ownership transfer and not give NCB?

NCB is Earned by a owner of a vehicle by not having made a claim in a Policy Year - supposedly by his/his drivers good and careful driving habits.

Which clearly mean that if there is a change of ownership for the new owner the process of earning NCB must start again frpm that point of time.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 12th June 2012 at 17:34.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:57   #2033
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,808
Thanked: 1,845 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys my i10 had a minor accident today as described in this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/109249-accidents-india-pics-758.html#post2804122.

Please guide me how should I proceed. I have never claimed insurance as this is my first accident. The insurer is United India insurance company.
Today I gave my car to Hans Hyundai, Delhi for repair job. The SA has estimated around 10-12K out of which around 2-3K will be paid by me.

The surveyor will come tomorrow and for the time being they have kept my license/car's RC/insurance policy. They will return my license after inspection hopefully tomorrow. Do they really keep license?

They don't have cashless facility and have asked me a cancelled cheque which I have given to them. The SA told me that I have to pay the complete amount and then the insurance company will deposit the settled amount to the bank account.

Estimated repair time is one week. Parts to be replaced - Rear bumper, right side fender, couple of miscellaneous parts behind the bumper. Front bumper will be repaired and repainted.

Guys please tell if the above procedure is OK as I have never claimed insurance etc.

photos here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2807631 (Hyundai i10 ERA iRDE2 Ownership Report.)

Last edited by bluevolt : 13th June 2012 at 22:03.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 12:17   #2034
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,693
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjanravi View Post
and they say that insurance will cough up 80% of the painting charges
Is this garage on the company's cashless list? If not, ask surveyor where can you take the car where they will cover 100% charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

The surveyor will come tomorrow and for the time being they have kept my license/car's RC/insurance policy. They will return my license after inspection hopefully tomorrow. Do they really keep license?

They don't have cashless facility and have asked me a cancelled cheque which I have given to them. The SA told me that I have to pay the complete amount and then the insurance company will deposit the settled amount to the bank account.

Estimated repair time is one week. Parts to be replaced - Rear bumper, right side fender, couple of miscellaneous parts behind the bumper. Front bumper will be repaired and repainted.

Guys please tell if the above procedure is OK as I have never claimed insurance etc.
Yes this is perfect. No issues with the procedure go ahead.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 16:10   #2035
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

@bluevolt
Standard Procedure. I claimed United India on my SX4 last year. The garage did not have cashless. I had to give my license to them and got it back after a week.
Reg. payment it is standard as well. If your insurance is United you can expect the check to reach you via courier within a month.
If its Oriental, you give them a cancelled check and they electronically transfer the amount within a week.

Btw I'm sorry for the i10 but I would like to give you a bit of free advice anyway Looking at the condition of the car I wouldn't have claimed insurance in the first year itself as the damage is pretty minimum. But I can understand how some people like their cars to look showroom fresh though its a tad difficult in India. Hope it gets fixed soon!
anjanravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 16:12   #2036
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

@F50
this is not cashless. There is only 1 Nissan workshop in the City! Plus it'll be a hassle to move the car as the axle is broken.
anjanravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 09:00   #2037
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,185
Thanked: 1,740 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Just renewed my 2010 City's insurance policy.

Tata AIG, Zero-dep for 14221.

The earlier policy was a comprehensive with Tata AIG.

The zero dep policy is valid for 2 claims only.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:28   #2038
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,805
Thanked: 1,803 Times
Smile Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just renewed my 2010 City's insurance policy.

Tata AIG, Zero-dep for 14221.

The earlier policy was a comprehensive with Tata AIG.

The zero dep policy is valid for 2 claims only.
You were to go for the normal Insurance policy from Tata AIG ( as per your earlier post for premium of 11K), what made you to change your mind and go for zero dep. What was the IDV? Did you buy online?

I guess Tata also offers the zero dep for the first three years of vehicle purchase or is it different?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 13:34   #2039
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,185
Thanked: 1,740 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You were to go for the normal Insurance policy from Tata AIG ( as per your earlier post for premium of 11K), what made you to change your mind and go for zero dep. What was the IDV? Did you buy online?

I guess Tata also offers the zero dep for the first three years of vehicle purchase or is it different?
A little thinking, Gurgaon traffic and only a 3k diff. Made us change our mind.

The policy was renewed online; there wasn't any inspection. IDV is 6.5 iirc.

As per Tata AIG, zero dep policy can be purchased up to car's 3rd insurance renewal, do basically up to end of first 4yrs.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 14:00   #2040
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,808
Thanked: 1,845 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Please refer to this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2808086

It's two days and no one from United India insurance has came to survey my car (i10) yet.

The SA advisor says that these government companies takes lot of time and delay is beyond their control. He says if some one don't come today then survey will be delayed till Monday as Sat/Sundays are off. They have no phone number and contact via emails only!

What can be done now?
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health insurance queries? Ask me! Haste Shifting gears 350 22nd November 2016 19:29
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section rocksterraghu In-Car Entertainment 695 9th August 2016 07:54
Automobile Insurance - FAQ rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 71 28th October 2015 18:28
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks