Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 12:52   #2521
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,592
Thanked: 713 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

My insurance renewal for the 2009 i10 Asta is coming up soon.

Last year, I paid Iffco Tokio Rs 8192 + tax = Rs 9205 for an IDV of Rs 4,24,840.

This year, I got a quote from Bharti AXA for 7524 + tax, but their IDV seems to be less at 2,75,966. I had a claim last year so my NCB is 0%.

Yet to receive any quote from Iffco Tokio.

In the past 4 years, I have had all claims processed smoothly from Iffco Tokio via HASS. They also have cashless facility with HASS. Never changed insurance for the past 4 years.

Is it worthwhile to shop around a bit this time? How's Bharti AXA from claims handling POV?
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 13:23   #2522
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,805
Thanked: 1,803 Times
Smile Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This year, I got a quote from Bharti AXA for 7524 + tax, but their IDV seems to be less at 2,75,966.
In the past 4 years, I have had all claims processed smoothly from Iffco Tokio via HASS. They also have cashless facility with HASS. Never changed insurance for the past 4 years.
Do you still want to go with Bharati Axa even when they reduced the IDV, they have quoted almost a lakh rupees less. Since you are satisfied with Tffco Tokio, suggest to remain with them. For Rs 1400/- gain in Premium you may lose on the confidence and trust in previous Insurer.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 11:28   #2523
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,127
Thanked: 651 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

A question on insurance.
The more cars one has, the less sense it makes to do comprehensive insurance for them, because the risk/cost of own damage to any in one year would probably be less than the comprehensive premium for all the cars, because all cars aren't in use all the time.
So, one can do away with comprehensive cover, do just third party insurance, with own damage to the car not covered. The amount saved on premiums for all the cars will cover the cost of damage to any - the self insurance concept.
What would still be worth insuring against in such a case is against risks such as theft, fire, earthquakes/floods - the standard asset insurance that companies take for assets. Is such cover extended for privately owned cars by insurance companies? For all risks other than own damage?
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 13:07   #2524
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,805
Thanked: 1,803 Times
Red face Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
A question on insurance.
The more cars one has, the less sense it makes to do comprehensive insurance for them, because the risk/cost of own damage to any in one year would probably be less than the comprehensive premium for all the cars, because all cars aren't in use all the time.
So, one can do away with comprehensive cover, do just third party insurance, with own damage to the car not covered. The amount saved on premiums for all the cars will cover the cost of damage to any - the self insurance concept.
What would still be worth insuring against in such a case is against risks such as theft, fire, earthquakes/floods - the standard asset insurance that companies take for assets. Is such cover extended for privately owned cars by insurance companies? For all risks other than own damage?
Agreed that not all cars one own will be on the road at the same time unless driven, this does not justify buying only TPL insurance instead of comprehensive insurance. How can one ensure that the damage to the vehicle presently driven on road will be less that the combined comprehensive insurance cost. Instead of that for the peace of mind I would suggest to buy the comprehensive insurance of all the vehicles one owns.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 13:15   #2525
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,127
Thanked: 651 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Noted. But that is a personal judgement call to be taken, in my case with over 30 years of driving and corporate experience in India.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 22:16   #2526
BHPian
 
avingodb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi/Mumbai
Posts: 392
Thanked: 321 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I am about to renew my car's policy.
While it shows online on the National Insurance portal, there is no place to claim the NCB.
Is it possible to renew National Insurance policy online including the NCB benefit?
or do I have to visit the office for the same?
avingodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 08:29   #2527
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,805
Thanked: 1,803 Times
Red face Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
While it shows online on the National Insurance portal, there is no place to claim the NCB.
Is it possible to renew National Insurance policy online including the NCB benefit?
or do I have to visit the office for the same?
Call up their helpline to find out how the NCB can be discounted in the premium cost. National Insurance policy holders can share their experiences if they have renewed their policy online. Or else no choice but to visit the office to get more details. Surprising how the NCB discouting can be omitted or is it that NI doesnt believe in anybody claiming the NCB?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 16:21   #2528
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 73
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Hi, I need some urgent help.
I have scratches and dents in my car and this happened 1.5 months ago.
I wasn't free to get this fixed then since I needed my car, so I didn't make a claim immediately.
I've made a claim now from Honda Assure, but the service rep tells me that they may not pay much since apparently the claim should have been made immediately - I wasn't aware of this.

The service rep isn't from the insurance company; someone will come over tomorrow to inspect and give me the details. How can I negotiate this? Why can't I make a claim for for the entire amount?

I had also called the helpline a month ago and they said that there is no time limit for fixing this, but asked do this ASAP.
They hadn't asked me to make a claim either.

Can I have some pointers quickly if possible, thanks.

Last edited by dozer : 12th August 2013 at 16:23.
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 12:45   #2529
BHPian
 
optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 220
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I'm with TATA AIG Platinum policy with 50% NCB

I got/negiotated the highest IDV possible.

I'm ok with the following.
TA01 Depreciation reimbruisement,
TA15 key replacement,
TA10 emergency transport,
TA09 Loss of personal belongings

The biggest addons premiums are
TA02 Daily allowance: Transport allowance for 10 days or so.
(Alternative personal means of transport is available in lieu of TA02. )

TA05 Return to Invoice + RTO charges in case of a total loss.
Only in case of Total Loss.

Do the two above make sense? Probability of the last is very very less but never know.

The addon premiums are more than the insurance.

Thanks.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 20:18   #2530
BHPian
 
noidea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 141
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I am planning to travel to Bhutan this October and my question is about the vehicle insurance.

Is there something like an international vehicle insurance - if I met with an accident in Bhutan?

Or does my current insurance cover my vehicle, irrespective of the country?
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:27   #2531
BHPian
 
lancersfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

After a long draught from driving, i finally managed to get the ikon 1.8D to drive to goa. Due to a wheel bearing noise i was limited to 66kph. On the return trip, however, after driving for 13hrs, managed to doze at the wheel for 5secs. Vehicle started moving towards left, Hit two pillars. I woke up when it hit the second pillar and turned sharply right to avoid the metal railing on the left side of the highway. (Hiriyur). The back came around and front left tyre hit the divider.

Questions:

1. No complaint filed because there is no damage to any person/vehicle. Is this a must? No disruption to traffic as the vehicle has been pushed off the highway and parked on the side. No damage to occupants in the car.
2. Any things to consider while i send the report of the incident to Bajaj allianz. Since it was a driver's fault (me), the insurance cover still applies right?
3. What are the considerations/pre-requisites if this has to be a write-off. I still wait for estimate from ford which might take a couple of days. The repair bill looks to be hefty at ~1.2-1.5l from an pre-estimate review.
4. Depreciation costs how is it going to affect for a 2000 model car?
lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:12   #2532
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,592
Thanked: 713 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My insurance renewal for the 2009 i10 Asta is coming up soon.

Last year, I paid Iffco Tokio Rs 8192 + tax = Rs 9205 for an IDV of Rs 4,24,840.

This year, I got a quote from Bharti AXA for 7524 + tax, but their IDV seems to be less at 2,75,966. I had a claim last year so my NCB is 0%.

Yet to receive any quote from Iffco Tokio.

In the past 4 years, I have had all claims processed smoothly from Iffco Tokio via HASS. They also have cashless facility with HASS. Never changed insurance for the past 4 years.

Is it worthwhile to shop around a bit this time? How's Bharti AXA from claims handling POV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Do you still want to go with Bharati Axa even when they reduced the IDV, they have quoted almost a lakh rupees less. Since you are satisfied with Tffco Tokio, suggest to remain with them. For Rs 1400/- gain in Premium you may lose on the confidence and trust in previous Insurer.
With lesser discounts and 0% NCB this year, ITGI was quoting around 11k for this year's policy.
BAXA increased their IDV to 3.5 lakhs and adjusted their quote to 9.1k.
Went with BAXA for 2013-2014 year - lets see how it goes!
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 08:32   #2533
BHPian
 
Philistine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 38
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I'm with TATA AIG Platinum policy with 50% NCB

I got/negiotated the highest IDV possible.

I'm ok with the following.
TA01 Depreciation reimbruisement,
TA15 key replacement,
TA10 emergency transport,
TA09 Loss of personal belongings

The biggest addons premiums are
TA02 Daily allowance: Transport allowance for 10 days or so.
(Alternative personal means of transport is available in lieu of TA02. )

TA05 Return to Invoice + RTO charges in case of a total loss.
Only in case of Total Loss.

Do the two above make sense? Probability of the last is very very less but never know.

The addon premiums are more than the insurance.

Thanks.
Hi! Where you able to decide on this? I too am looking for insurance on my yet to purchase car. I understand the importance of the add-on premiums.. Let me know!
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 11:41   #2534
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 7,767
Thanked: 10,660 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

My insurance (DRIVE ASSURE) renewal for the 2011 Polo 1.6 is coming up soon.

Last year, I paid Bajaj Allianz Rs 18958 for an IDV of Rs 516,435.

This year, I got a quote from Bajaj for 17560 for an IDV of 451881.
No claims done sofar so a NCB deduction of 3886 is shpwn in the above.

Any pointers if this sounds okay to close the deal?

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 19:32   #2535
BHPian
 
optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 220
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
Hi! Where you able to decide on this? I too am looking for insurance on my yet to purchase car. I understand the importance of the add-on premiums.. Let me know!
I opted out of the return to invoice. Anyway it was available only for one more year during which my percieved risk was neglible for my usage. Now in thinking retrospect i have lost around 20000 for the first 2 years. but no issues.

daily allowance: while buying a new car i thought it would be great. now reading the terms, conditions, and considering that alternative means of transport cost lesser than the premium paid (at least for me) i opted out of this also.

Got the IDV increased to the highest possible. they were quoting renewal premium for a low amount. still I saved approx INR 8000 on account of the discontinued riders.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health insurance queries? Ask me! Haste Shifting gears 350 22nd November 2016 19:29
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section rocksterraghu In-Car Entertainment 695 9th August 2016 07:54
Automobile Insurance - FAQ rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 71 28th October 2015 18:28
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks