Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 6th November 2014, 11:45   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Can one claim insurance for faulty ECM

Is the fluctuation (hunting) happening only in idle? then it may not be ECM. You may check the Idle control valve or throttle body. May be one of the air flow sensors or TPS concked off. Make sure the issue is due to ECM. IS this Japanese or Non Jap car. If Japanese ECU failures can be less of a probability.
A replacement ECU for testing can be non conclusive since ECU takes some time to learn. Try to run around for a week with replacement ECU before deciding.
kutlee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 12:36   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
My car's ECM is giving me issues of fluctuating/increasing RPMs. I am facing an ECM replacement of around 40K. I have a zero-dep insurance with Tata AIG since the last 3 years without any claims. Is it possible to claim insurance for a faulty ECM which needs replacement? The car company is informing me that this is not a wear and tear part, but since there's no accidental damage, I am not sure whether insurance company would entertain a claim in the first place.
ECM is not covered under warranty.

Refer to Maruti discalimer:

"ECM costs in range from Rs. 20K-40K and is not covered under warranty. Hence - manufacturer recommends selling its partnered brands and accessories wherein installation done from there inhouse dealer professionals. "
(http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...=685&Itemid=10)
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 13:45   #3033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
ECM is not covered under warranty.

Refer to Maruti discalimer:

"ECM costs in range from Rs. 20K-40K and is not covered under warranty. Hence - manufacturer recommends selling its partnered brands and accessories wherein installation done from there inhouse dealer professionals. "
(http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...685&Itemid=10)

Don't just quote 1 line from that link! The above post is very misleading!

I am quoting the entire matter.

Quote:
Why is the Warranty been void by Car Manufacturer
Normally during installation - some fixing of wires to be done, any in event of cutting of any wires connected to batteries - it may damage the ECM (Electronic Control Module).
ECM costs in range from Rs. 20K-40K and is not covered under warranty. Hence - manufacturer recommends selling its partnered brands and accessories wherein installation done from there inhouse dealer professionals.
ECU/ECM is like the heart/brain of the car!
ECM is very much covered under warranty and extended warranty as long as the car isn't modified (Modifications which directly affect ECU )

Before going in for an ECM replacement, I would try what kutlee suggested.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 16:42   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Is the fluctuation (hunting) happening only in idle? then it may not be ECM. You may check the Idle control valve or throttle body. May be one of the air flow sensors or TPS concked off. Make sure the issue is due to ECM. IS this Japanese or Non Jap car. If Japanese ECU failures can be less of a probability.
A replacement ECU for testing can be non conclusive since ECU takes some time to learn. Try to run around for a week with replacement ECU before deciding.
The idle control valve, sensors, throttle body, etc. have all been checked and confirmed working. I've showed it to two service centers (HASS) and both have concluded that ECM is at fault as the car only runs smoothly when a replacement ECM is used. Logically this means that if there was any issue with the current/signal not being received from the sensor to the ECM, it should have caused the same issue with the new ECM too as the same current/signal would have passed to the new ECM. And I believe ECM has to be set to neutral and recoded for each car.

Mine is a 2010 Hyundai i20 Petrol and it has a Kefico ECM unit.

EDIT - Also the fluctuations are not just happening in idle. Once the car is running, anytime when clutch is depressed fully or when I go to neutral, the RPMs keep increasing up to 3K and hovers between 3K - 2.5K. The moment I engage the clutch and start running in gear, the RPMs normalize back again

Last edited by kalpeshc : 6th November 2014 at 16:57. Reason: New content added
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 13:54   #3035
Distinguished - BHPian

I am under the process of renewing my BMW's insurance policy. Now the query is that I wanted to know whether Iffko Tokio covers hydrostatic lock? I am interacting with 2 insurance agents and one is saying it does where as the other is saying it doesn't. Can anyone throw some light on this?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 14:16   #3036
BHPian

Hi! Dr. Mohit,

Iffco Tokio doesn't cover hydrostatic lock. Please PM me your no. Shall be able to provide more clarity.
carzealot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 16:24   #3037
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Can the old owner transfer the insurance of used car to the new owner? Or the new owner needs to get a new policy in his name? I believe there is some concept of insurance endorsement in name of new owner but do not know the process and the rules.

Also, can I take an insurance policy for a used car which covers part failures too? The car is currently on regular comprehensive insurance.

Thanks in anticipation of help!
Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 16:42   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Can the old owner transfer the insurance of used car to the new owner? Or the new owner needs to get a new policy in his name? I believe there is some concept of insurance endorsement in name of new owner but do not know the process and the rules.

Also, can I take an insurance policy for a used car which covers part failures too? The car is currently on regular comprehensive insurance.
Saket,

Yes the Insurance can be transferred from old owner to new owner and its mandatory to do so. Its mutual agreement between the old and new owner to initiate the Insurance transfer process but preferable old owner should take the onus of getting the Insurance transferred in the same way as the ownership is transferred. The process is quite simple. The old owner should submit an application to the Insurance co along with the set of documents submitted to the ownership transfer and submit the receipt of the same. Once the new RC is recd by the new owner, he can get the Insurance officially transferred to his name by submitting the copy of the new RC to the Insurance co. Pls bear in mind its old owner's responsibility to get the NCB certificate from the Insurance co if applicable.

Regarding the comprehensive policy on the old car, the parts failed can be repaired through claims and applicable depreciation rates. There will be owner's contribution in this case provided to the applicable warranty T & C is existing.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 16:51   #3039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Saket,

The old owner should submit an application to the Insurance co along with the set of documents submitted to the ownership transfer and submit the receipt of the same. Once the new RC is recd by the new owner, he can get the Insurance officially transferred to his name by submitting the copy of the new RC to the Insurance co.
Thanks. That surely helps. So until I receive the new RC for a used car purchase, I cannot apply for insurance name change. Will the insurance cover applicable for this period as mine is a case of inter-state transfer. It would be very kind of you if you can tell me what would be the process for inter-state transfer where I am still to get NOC from the home state of the car? Will it be a good idea to get a new policy once I receive the NOC or endorsing the previous policy is a better thing to do with 3 months validity left on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Regarding the comprehensive policy on the old car, the parts failed can be repaired through claims and applicable depreciation rates. There will be owner's contribution in this case provided to the applicable warranty T & C is existing.
So can I claim insurance if high value parts fail on my car (apart from depreciation)?

Thanks.
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 17th November 2014 at 16:56.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 17:02   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
So until I receive the new RC for a used car purchase, I cannot apply for insurance name change. Will the insurance cover applicable for this period as mine is a case of inter-state transfer and all.
No, You can apply parallelly for Insurance name change along with the ownership change process. the Insurance cover will be there for the car but will be under your name rather than new owner's name. Once the new RC is recd, Insurance will be officially transferred to the new owner's name.

If its intra state transfers, then till the time the new RC is recd from the RTO (of state where the new owner registers), Insurance will be in your name only.

Quote:
So can I claim insurance if high value parts fail on my car (apart from depreciation)?
Sorry Saket, I didnt clarify sufficiently. All parts to be repaired under normal wear and tear will not be able to done through claims. Pls see below:

Quote:
The Company shall not be liable to make any payment in respect of:-
(a) consequential loss, depreciation, wear and tear, mechanical or electrical breakdown, failures or breakages;
(b) damage to tyres and tubes unless the vehicle is damaged at the same time in which case the liability of the company shall be limited to 50% of the cost of replacement.
and
(c) any accidental loss or damage suffered whilst the insured or any person driving the vehicle with the knowledge and consent of the insured is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:05   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Saket/Ghodlur,

Insurance claims can only be made on parts and labour for accident cases only and not for breakdowns.

DF
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 05:46   #3042
BHPian

Enquired about motor insurance from local Volkswagen dealership regarding my soon to be purchased vehicle.
The so called bumper to bumper insurance they are offering has some clauses which I have never heard in B to B insurance before.
Apart from the regular 2000 bucks file charges they are quoting:
1. 5% for any metal part involved.
2. All consumables extra.
3. All nuts bolts extra.

So this is in no way a B to B insurance.
They are asking premium of zero Dep. insurance and are giving benefits of comprehensive ones.
I have insured Skoda and Toyota before and never have I heard of this type of clause in zero dep insurance.

Any existing Volkswagen owners on zero dep insurance, please comment.

Thanks
ishlinea7260 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 15:21   #3043
BHPian

Did a google search on Team-BHP, but failed to get this info.

Can someone please educate me, what exactly is bumper-to-bumper insurance?

Thanks!
nowwhat? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 15:28   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Any existing Volkswagen owners on zero dep insurance, please comment.
While the scheme under question looks suspicious, it is not manufacturer specific. It depends on your insurance provider. Buying insurance through the dealer is usually a more expensive affair, so I would suggest you get some independent quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Can someone please educate me, what exactly is bumper-to-bumper insurance?
Bumper-to-bumper insurance is a colloquial term for zero depreciation insurance.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 15:51   #3045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
1. 5% for any metal part involved.
2. All consumables extra.
3. All nuts bolts extra.
None of the zero depreciation add on covers provide consumables in the cover. Some of the Insurers even have seperate add ons for consumables which include the nuts and bolts. The surprising part is the 5% for any metal part. This needs to be debated with the Insurance co. The add on offered to you seems to be from the dealer rather than the Insurance co. Kindly verify before making a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Did a google search on Team-BHP, but failed to get this info.
You should have searched Zero depreciation.

Quoting from Royal Sundaram website.
Quote:
Get depreciation waiver on plastic and metal parts in case of partial loss/claim. This means when you make a claim, you will get the full claim amount without any deduction for depreciation on the value of parts being replaced.

For example, normally when you have to replace some part and make a claim towards this replacement, you will not get the full cost of the part but only the depreciated cost depending on how old your vehicle is. Older the vehicle lower the value, however you can protect yourself against depreciation with this cover. If you take this cover, you will be paid full value of the parts without deduction of any amount towards depreciation. This means you do not have to pay out of your pocket towards the replacement of the parts.

What is Covered?
All plastic parts without applying depreciation in case of a claim.
All metal parts without applying depreciation in case of a claim.
You need not bear any portion of any depreciable parts. The cost of all parts necessitating replacement will be allowed in full.

What is not Covered?
The amount of total deductible mentioned in the policy schedule.
Damage caused by an uninsured peril including mechanical breakdown.
Damage to uninsured items including accessories and bi-fuel/gas kit.
Claims made for theft of parts and/or accessories.
Claims made under Self Authorisation Mode.

Deductibles: As per the base Package Policy

Minimum Premium: The cover will be subject to a minimum premium of Rs.100/-.

Other Conditions:
The Cover will be offered on annual basis and will run concurrently with the Package policy of the vehicle.
Mid-term inclusion or removal of this cover shall not be allowed.
Cover available only for vehicles up to 5 years of age.
The Cover is not available for imported vehicles and obsolete models that are no more in production and whose parts are not available off the shelf.
Pricing: Based on the vehicles IDV, Age, Engine size and Make