Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 09:21   #3106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 49
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Hi,

I own a 2012 Hyundai i20 with Zero Dep cover from ICICI Lombard valid till June 2015 in Pune.

The car came with a Smart Key & a Regular Spare Key. The Smart Key's circuit was recently damaged in Goa during a paragliding ride.

My query is whether I can claim a new Smart Key via my Insurance policy because my Hyundai ASS guy told me that it would cost approx 20K.

Also, if my policy covers my key, would it affect my NCB for renewal?

Thanks in advance!
DevendraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 16:03   #3107
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,221
Thanked: 662 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevendraG View Post
Hi,

I own a 2012 Hyundai i20 with Zero Dep cover from ICICI Lombard valid till June 2015 in Pune.

The car came with a Smart Key & a Regular Spare Key. The Smart Key's circuit was recently damaged in Goa during a paragliding ride.

My query is whether I can claim a new Smart Key via my Insurance policy because my Hyundai ASS guy told me that it would cost approx 20K.

Also, if my policy covers my key, would it affect my NCB for renewal?

Thanks in advance!
Check your insurance policy document to see whether it covers loss of key, if it does, you can claim insurance for the replacement key.
You will lose your NCB for any claim.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 22:53   #3108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Planning to get a new two wheeler (Kawasaki Z800 = ex showroom 8.3 Lac) in Bangalore.

Please suggest zero dep insurance that I should go for ?
Does any of them allow more than 2 zero dep claims per year ?

I have checked a few quotations. ERGO and Lombard are 18K and 22K respectively. Quite a difference. Also found lombard has a limit of 2 zero dep claims an year.

Thanks in advance.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 05:17   #3109
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 495
Thanked: 286 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Guys, would be taking delivery of an Etios Liva next week. Was researching about insurance which Toyota is offering for 25505 via Toyota Protect. Policy Bazaar tells me there is a Zero Dep policy available from L&T Insurance for a mare 12k. Any experience with L&T?

Have been with Bajaj Alliance for both my cars and am quite happy with the experience so far. But 12k for a Zero Dep is too good to be true.

I have a 50% NCB from my Xylo that I recently sold.

Regards
Vinay
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 05:06   #3110
BHPian
 
JohnyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 74 Times
Default How to claim compensation from 3rd party insurance?

This is my understanding of insurance policies.

1. Third Party insurance (TP) which is mandatory to cover any damage you make to any other car (or person).

2. Comprehensive policy (Comp) to cover your car.

3. In case of an accident, if you are at fault,
a) Your 3rd party insurance gets 'activated' and pays for the damage of the other car.
b) Your comprehensive policy will pay for the damage of your car (after deductions and depreciation).

Is this right?

I'm raising this question because of a recent incident. My friend met with an accident last Thursday (another car came and hit him from behind while waiting at traffic light). The other driver accepted it was his mistake and exchanged details (contact numbers, insurance details etc). My friend called his insurance company from the accident site and they asked him to take the car to the service centre. He filled an insurance claim form at the service centre.

The hit was from behind and the boot and bumper suffered good damage and has to be replaced. Also some impact on the back doors and lights. Attaching a photo.

Now the insurance company is processing the claims from his comprehensive policy and told him that he has to pay around 10k as deductions / depreciation and the insurance company will pay the rest. (The official estimate has not come, this is initial rough estimate). My question is shouldn't the 3rd party insurance of the other party (who is at fault) pay for my friend's damages?

a) Why should my friend's policy pays the damages and thus making him pay around 10k?
b) For no fault of his why should my friend pay from his pocket?

We asked the questions to the insurance and the service centre guys, they are not giving any proper answer and are going ahead with their original plan of claiming it from his policy.

Just a couple of points
a. The other driver accepted his mistake and apologised. And offered his cooperation for any formalities.
b. No police was involved. No FIR was filed also. (Was this a mistake?)

Is there any way to claim the damages from the other car's 3rd party insurance? If yes, any pointers for doing that will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-rohit-car.jpg  


Last edited by JohnyBoy : 25th February 2015 at 05:10.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 08:20   #3111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 436
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Shouldn't he have contacted the other party's insurance provider instead of his? They would be processing this claim and not his provider, isn't it?
In such cases, his NCB also should ideally not be affected.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 08:28   #3112
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,807
Thanked: 1,804 Times
Red face Re: How to claim compensation from 3rd party insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Is this right?
Yes, that's correct understanding.

Quote:
a. The other driver accepted his mistake and apologised. And offered his cooperation for any formalities.
b. No police was involved. No FIR was filed also. (Was this a mistake?)
Is there any way to claim the damages from the other car's 3rd party insurance? If yes, any pointers for doing that will be appreciated.
For any 3rd party claims, FIR is a must as a requirement by the Insurance co. Actually 3rd party claims is quite a tedious process which involves court (Motor tribunal) proceedings to confirm if the 3rd party claim is admissible.Only upon the court orders can the Insurance co of the other driver proceed for claims settlement. Hence most of the times 3rd party claims are settled out of court (due to no fast track services available as of now). Since the other driver accepted his mistake, he needs to pay the amount upfront (entire repair cost) so that your friend doesn't have to shell it from his pockets.
To claim damages from other car's Insurance co, make a note of the other car & driver details with details of the Insurance co. Contact the Insurance co and inform about a 3rd party claim. Insurance co contacts the other car driver for confirmation and upon acceptance, the Insurance co will proceed for claim settlement. This is an ideal process but does not happen always.

Quote:
Third party claims are necessarily adjudicated by constituted tribunals (Motor Accident Claim Tribunals) to provide compensation to the victims (the injured, the dependants of the deceased or owner of the damaged property). Adjudication is by virtue of a decree on merits or through a consent decree.
In accordance with the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, a motor third party claim can be filed by the affected persons in a tribunal at the place of accident, at a place where the victim or his dependants ordinarily reside or where the owner of the vehicle or the driver involved ordinarily resides.
In order to substantiate the accident during the course of adjudications by the claimant (the injured, the deceased or owner of the damaged property, as the case maybe), it is necessary that a complaint is filed with the police, recording the incidences of the accident and other relevant facts.
http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/207637.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3606107 (Third party insurance claims)
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 08:52   #3113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 436
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

So more often than not, one has to end up claiming from one's own insurance to avoid going through this hassle? Does anyone have any personal experiences to share in this regard? It'd be interesting to know how it works on the ground.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 09:10   #3114
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,902
Thanked: 2,924 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
So more often than not, one has to end up claiming from one's own insurance to avoid going through this hassle? Does anyone have any personal experiences to share in this regard? It'd be interesting to know how it works on the ground.
Yep.
In fact, right here on the forum, there was an accident and the discussion found a lot of proponents saying that the other guy paying you the difference after you claim insurance(losing you ncb) was a "fair deal", somehow.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 09:51   #3115
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,807
Thanked: 1,804 Times
Smile Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Any experience with L&T?
Confirm if L&T has a cashless tie up with the workshop where you generally service your vehicle. The workshop guys will be the best people to comment on L&T's claim settlement and customer support.

Is the premium quote you mentioned after applying 50% NCB discount?? L&T are relatively newer player in Motor Insurance business, hence may be offering mouth watering discounts to grab customers. Take an informed decision.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 14:26   #3116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 685
Thanked: 353 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I need some advice on how to handle the situation below and what the options are.

A relative of mine had an accident in which his car was severely damaged. The car is an 8 year old Hyundai Santro with an IDV of 1.6 lakhs. The estimate provided by the workshop was 2.5 lakhs which is well above the 75% of the IDV which is required for declaring the car a total loss. The floor on the driver's side has crumpled up which indicated the severity of the damage.

However the surveyor and the insurance company is arguing that after depreciation the amount is 1.15 lakhs and want my cousin to settle for 1.05 lakhs after declaring the car as a total loss. They would cancel the RC and insurance of the car and hand over the car to my cousin so that he can sell it for scrap.

They (surveyor and local branch manager) called my cousin for a discussion of the above points and were adamant that this is what can be done.

According to the rules of IRDA our understanding is that if the estimate for repairing the car without factoring depreciation is greater than 75% of the IDV the car should be declared a total loss and the insured amount given to the customer after a deduction of 1000 rupees. There has been no insurance claim in the last 8 years on the car.

In such a scenario does the customer have a right to demand that the car be declared a total loss and compensated by the IDV? Is it the company that should take the call of where or not the car should be declared a total loss or whether the car should be repaired?

How effective will it be approaching the IRDA ombudsman in such a scenario to resolve this?

Incidently when asked for a copy of the surveyor's report, the manager first tried to bluff his way through by saying that we were not entitled. When confronted with the law he changed his tack and mentioned that he has not got the report yet and will send it by email once he gets it.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 09:38   #3117
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,807
Thanked: 1,804 Times
Red face Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
In such a scenario does the customer have a right to demand that the car be declared a total loss and compensated by the IDV? Is it the company that should take the call of where or not the car should be declared a total loss or whether the car should be repaired?
Its no brainer that the car should be declared a total loss since the repair charges exceed the IDV. So ideally the Insurance co is bound to pay the IDV charges minus the depreciation on pro rata basis. Looking at your case even if the depreciation is considered, the IDV works out to approx 1.5L. So ideally the IDv amount should be paid.

Since the Insurance co has asked your cousin to sell the car for scrap, calculate if the amount got from that would work out to the IDV in addition to the Insurance co payout. Alternatively the Insurance co can payout the entire IDV and sell the car to scrap on their own after cancelling the RC and Insurance.

Has the Insurance co responded in writing about the payout? If you have it, then approaching the Insurance co ombudsman first and then IRDA later would be the correct way of dealing the issue.

Ground rule: Stick to your demand of total IDV payout.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 09:47   #3118
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,221
Thanked: 662 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I need some advice on how to handle the situation below and what the options are.

A relative of mine had an accident in which his car was severely damaged. The car is an 8 year old Hyundai Santro with an IDV of 1.6 lakhs. The estimate provided by the workshop was 2.5 lakhs which is well above the 75% of the IDV which is required for declaring the car a total loss. The floor on the driver's side has crumpled up which indicated the severity of the damage.

However the surveyor and the insurance company is arguing that after depreciation the amount is 1.15 lakhs and want my cousin to settle for 1.05 lakhs after declaring the car as a total loss. They would cancel the RC and insurance of the car and hand over the car to my cousin so that he can sell it for scrap.

They (surveyor and local branch manager) called my cousin for a discussion of the above points and were adamant that this is what can be done.

According to the rules of IRDA our understanding is that if the estimate for repairing the car without factoring depreciation is greater than 75% of the IDV the car should be declared a total loss and the insured amount given to the customer after a deduction of 1000 rupees. There has been no insurance claim in the last 8 years on the car.

In such a scenario does the customer have a right to demand that the car be declared a total loss and compensated by the IDV? Is it the company that should take the call of where or not the car should be declared a total loss or whether the car should be repaired?

How effective will it be approaching the IRDA ombudsman in such a scenario to resolve this?

Incidently when asked for a copy of the surveyor's report, the manager first tried to bluff his way through by saying that we were not entitled. When confronted with the law he changed his tack and mentioned that he has not got the report yet and will send it by email once he gets it.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Write an email to the Insurance ombudsman marking a copy to the Insurance company manager and the surveyor. This is enough for them to run to settle the claim. You should be getting the IDV value of the car if the car is totaled, the depreciation is always considered to arrive at the IDV. Stick to your guns.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 21:28   #3119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 685
Thanked: 353 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
So ideally the Insurance co is bound to pay the IDV charges minus the depreciation on pro rata basis. Looking at your case even if the depreciation is considered, the IDV works out to approx 1.5L. So ideally the IDv amount should be paid.

Since the Insurance co has asked your cousin to sell the car for scrap, calculate if the amount got from that would work out to the IDV in addition to the Insurance co payout. Alternatively the Insurance co can payout the entire IDV and sell the car to scrap on their own after cancelling the RC and Insurance.

Has the Insurance co responded in writing about the payout? If you have it, then approaching the Insurance co ombudsman first and then IRDA later would be the correct way of dealing the issue.

Ground rule: Stick to your demand of total IDV payout.
Thanks, the information helps. Will check out approaching the insurance company ombudsman.
The insurance manager emailed the surveyor's report today. The surveyed amount is 2.15 lakhs and after depreciation the amount to be paid out is 1.09 lakhs.

Other than the surveyor's report no other written communication has been recieved.

The estimated amount to be got for scrap would be around 20-22k which would not add up to the IDV along with the payout offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Write an email to the Insurance ombudsman marking a copy to the Insurance company manager and the surveyor. This is enough for them to run to settle the claim. You should be getting the IDV value of the car if the car is totaled, the depreciation is always considered to arrive at the IDV. Stick to your guns.
Yup, the IDV is what we are sticking to.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 10th March 2015 at 21:30.
shibujp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 12:51   #3120
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I have a query related to insurance renewal, particularly NCB transfer. My figo (2012 March) insurance is due on March 15th.

Current insurer is quoting 8.8K for renewal with an IDV of 3.5L (united insurance). Before United I had insurance with Ford (Sundaram) for 2012 and 2013.
I claimed insurance in 2013 (Sundaram) before switching to United insurance in 2014 March. So I believe NCB is void with respect to Sundaram insurance.

In 2014 I have not made any claim but planning to switch insurer with zero depreciation since car will be driven lot more in coming days. United insurance is not providing zero depreciation. United insurance document says 25% as NCB. So I am confused about this NCB transfer. How much NCB deduction I can get when I switch insurer?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health insurance queries? Ask me! Haste Shifting gears 350 22nd November 2016 19:29
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section rocksterraghu In-Car Entertainment 695 9th August 2016 07:54
Automobile Insurance - FAQ rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 71 28th October 2015 18:28
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks