Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 22:38   #3331
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 585
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Hey Insurance Gurus, need some advice.

I am purchasing a new car soon. My Tata Nano has insurance with NCB of 45% so is there a way that I can transfer this NCB to my new vehicle? Just to point out I am not selling my Nano and I know that next year onwards my Nano will have 0% NCB if this is possible.So If this is indeed possible then I do I go about it,can someone list out the process I have to do. My insurer is Iffco Tokio.

The other scenario, If the NCB thing does not work out, I would like to purchase my own insurance;probably online (cause the dealer quote is unsurprisingly out to me) So to get an online policy do I need to register the car first or is that later? What documents/data will I need to provide to get the insurance.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2015, 23:20   #3332
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey Insurance Gurus, need some advice.

I am purchasing a new car soon. My Tata Nano has insurance with NCB of 45% so is there a way that I can transfer this NCB to my new vehicle?

The other scenario, If the NCB thing does not work out, I would like to purchase my own insurance;
1. Approach your insurance company and tell them to cancel the current comprehensive insurance and issue a third-party only policy. Your experience with this approach may vary as they may be reluctant to do this and insist on a car sale papers; but it should be possible. I am not sure of finer details like if you have to pay NCB for the policy being cancelled etc.

2. IMO, you would need to provide the dealer insurance policy before they can register. last time i did this (it's been 4 years so don't recall all details) i think i got the chassis/engine details from the dealer, got the insurance policy and then gave that to the dealer.
akj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:12   #3333
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 29
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

This is the first time I'm renewing a Car Policy so not sure how good of a bargain am I getting. Need your help guys. Last year, I've taken the car insurance with following add-ons :

1. Insurance for all passengers ₹200,000 each
2. Zero Dep
3. paid driver insurance (though wont need it now)

The Car is Tata Zest XT Revotron and the existing policy is from Oriental and costed me about ₹18,500/- including taxes. Currently, the best quote I'm getting is from New India for ₹11,700 (incl. taxes) with all above add-ons and IDV of ₹5,12,000. Along with that, Bajaj Alli. is giving me a quote of ₹12,500/- for the same. These quotes include 20% NCB as well.

Suggestions??
devilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:24   #3334
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,808
Thanked: 1,806 Times
Red face Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
At the persuasion of TATA Motors , against my insurance claim they have now made an estimate of Rs 640000 and say I have to pay estimate charge of Rs 14000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
I think that is the idea since they do not want to repair it. Instead just get the insurance company to pay IDV. But the estimate preparing charges appear pretty high and I may barely get 50k or less. Plus my car was absolutely without any issues and going on fine.
Sorry but your repair costs are creating a confusion. Is it Rs 640000/- or Rs 64000/-. If former then I am surprised that the repair expenses can exceed the present ex showroom cost of the car or for that matter double it. Then the car should be declared as totalled. This is pure commonsense. If the latter, then does the repair cost exceed 75% of the current IDV? If not then I think the estimate should be correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Suggestions??
I would suggest to calculate the correct TDV for the next year after deducting the depreciation. Based on this calculated IDV, get the quotes either online (preferable) or offline. Confirm with which Insurance co does the Tata workshop have a cashless tie up. Also enquire with the workshop for the Insurance co claims process feedback. Compare the quotes and take an informed decision.

Are the quotes you mentioned with zero dep add on cover too?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:03   #3335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

@ghodlur
The estimated repair cost is Rs. 6.4 lakhs. Exorbitant by any standard. I am thinking should I ask the insurance company to suggest some other workshop for a more realistic estimate.
amit162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:16   #3336
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,904
Thanked: 2,926 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
@ghodlur
The estimated repair cost is Rs. 6.4 lakhs. Exorbitant by any standard. I am thinking should I ask the insurance company to suggest some other workshop for a more realistic estimate.
You should.
Also,mark out a mail to various heads at tata, and automags, asking how repairs can cost as much as two cars? There was a skoda on the forum with similar repair estimates, but that was only enough to get one skoda.
What madness is this? Under what heads are they preparing the estimate? Labour etc? Thats what it would conceivably be.
If I had a workshop, and I had quoted something like this, AND it was accepted, I would just buy a new nano for the customer, pocket the rest.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:45   #3337
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Any one having emails of TATA Motor's Heads? Please let me know. Thanks.
amit162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:00   #3338
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 29
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I would suggest to calculate the correct TDV for the next year after deducting the depreciation. Based on this calculated IDV, get the quotes either online (preferable) or offline. Confirm with which Insurance co does the Tata workshop have a cashless tie up. Also enquire with the workshop for the Insurance co claims process feedback. Compare the quotes and take an informed decision.

Are the quotes you mentioned with zero dep add on cover too?
I've calculated IDV by subtracting 10% from last year's and came out to be ~₹5,12,000. Bajaj Allia told me they've cashless tie-up with my dealership. Need to take a feedback from dealership directly.

And yes, the quote is with Zero Dep and ₹200000 cover for all 5 passengers. Not sure if I should look for any other add-ons.

PS: Quite surprised to know that these policy comparison websites are good for nothing since there was a difference of about ₹6000 in premium for the policy of same company (Bajaj Alli.) and with same add-ons when bargained with Bajaj directly.
devilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 07:59   #3339
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,808
Thanked: 1,806 Times
Smile Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Not sure if I should look for any other add-ons.

PS: Quite surprised to know that these policy comparison websites are good for nothing since there was a difference of about ₹6000 in premium for the policy of same company (Bajaj Alli.) and with same add-ons when bargained with Bajaj directly.
NCB protection would be another useful add on cover as any claims would then not reduce the NCB but keep it intact. Another useful add on cover would be Consumable cover which will help save on the costs of the consumables required during claim. Both these add ons if you wish to buy would not cost a bomb but would be affordable. Please read the T&C of such add on covers before buying them.

It is therefore very much required to directly contact the Insurer on their website for a better quote. Comparison sites as they are meant to be should be used only for comparison.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:39   #3340
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 240
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Based on this calculated IDV, get the quotes either online (preferable) or offline.

My experience last 3-4 years has been much better doing directly offline with the insurance company as compared to online. Always been cheaper for me. Example: last month renewed with HDFC Ergo for my 1 year old Duster. I got it done all inclusive at 16k, same policy online (on policybazaar as well as insurance company sites) was nothing less than 21k. Similar experience on other occasions also for both my cars. Of course, this is only my experience, it's quite possible others find online better.

One thing I would say generally, quotes from the dealer are the absolute worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
NCB protection would be another useful add on cover as any claims would then not reduce the NCB but keep it intact.

Would be interested to know which insurance company provides NCB protection for mid range cars like the Zest. Have got this for higher end models, but have not been able to get for my Duster.
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:24   #3341
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 454
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I am purchasing a new car soon. My Tata Nano has insurance with NCB of 45% so is there a way that I can transfer this NCB to my new vehicle? Just to point out I am not selling my Nano and I know that next year onwards my Nano will have 0% NCB if this is possible.So If this is indeed possible then I do I go about it,can someone list out the process I have to do. My insurer is Iffco Tokio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
1. Approach your insurance company and tell them to cancel the current comprehensive insurance and issue a third-party only policy. Your experience with this approach may vary as they may be reluctant to do this and insist on a car sale papers; but it should be possible. I am not sure of finer details like if you have to pay NCB for the policy being cancelled etc.
Along similar lines, My insurance is up for renewal in the next 3 months and I am looking to get a new car while retaining the current one. Is it possible for me to renew the policy by getting a NCB letter and then renewing the policy by paying the full premium for the next year? Will the insurance provider agree to this or do I have to take some other route like going with a new provider for renewal after getting the NCB certificate from the current provider? My current insurance is with Tata-AIG.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:43   #3342
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Along similar lines, My insurance is up for renewal in the next 3 months and I am looking to get a new car while retaining the current one. Is it possible for me to renew the policy by getting a NCB letter and then renewing the policy by paying the full premium for the next year? Will the insurance provider agree to this or do I have to take some other route like going with a new provider for renewal after getting the NCB certificate from the current provider? My current insurance is with Tata-AIG.
Not sure if I completely understand, but cannot have both a comprehensive insurance running on current car and claim NCB letter for it.

The normal procedure is to get NCB after selling car. Can cancel the comprehensive and get a third party only and then get the NCB letter, but would need to talk to your insurer's office - they may hesitate in doing this.
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 13:53   #3343
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 454
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Not sure if I completely understand, but cannot have both a comprehensive insurance running on current car and claim NCB letter for it.

The normal procedure is to get NCB after selling car. Can cancel the comprehensive and get a third party only and then get the NCB letter, but would need to talk to your insurer's office - they may hesitate in doing this.
I am basically looking to transfer the NCB from my current car to a new one.

1. When the insurance comes up for renewal, claim NCB letter (50%) and then renew the insurance with own damage+Third party cover by paying premium for next year with NCB as 0%. The NCB will now be reset to 0% since I am claiming the letter for it.
2. When I get a new car later this year, use the NCB letter to avail NCB benefit from the first year itself.

Is this possible? I have seen some members report transferring the NCB to a newer car without selling the old one but not sure if it will be applicable to my scenario.

Last edited by praveen_v : 3rd November 2015 at 13:55.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 08:19   #3344
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,808
Thanked: 1,806 Times
Smile Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
I am looking to get a new car while retaining the current one. Is it possible for me to renew the policy by getting a NCB letter and then renewing the policy by paying the full premium for the next year? Will the insurance provider agree to this or do I have to take some other route like going with a new provider for renewal after getting the NCB certificate from the current provider? My current insurance is with Tata-AIG.
Since you are not selling the old car, what you can do is apply for NCB letter. Insurance co will not give a NCB certificate per say but on the application will mention the NCB eligible. This is a sufficient documents for claiming NCB when buying Insurance for the new car. Once the Old car Insurance is up for renewal, buy only a TPL Insurance. You can also opt for a Comprehensive Insurance if you wish to.
Please note that the NCB goes with the owner and not with the car. If you are still the owner of your old car, you will not be eligible for NCB as you have already claimed the same for the new car. If you transfer the old car within family, then the family person can start taking the advantage of NCB on the old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Not sure if I completely understand, but cannot have both a comprehensive insurance running on current car and claim NCB letter for it.
No need to claim the NCB letter, just know the eligibility of the same in writing from the old cr Insurance co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Is this possible? I have seen some members report transferring the NCB to a newer car without selling the old one but not sure if it will be applicable to my scenario.
It is possible to transfer the NCB of the current car to new car even when the old car is not being sold. But I would suggest transfer the old car to someone in the family so that that person can take the benefit of NCB.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 08:24   #3345
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,808
Thanked: 1,806 Times
Smile Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Would be interested to know which insurance company provides NCB protection for mid range cars like the Zest. Have got this for higher end models, but have not been able to get for my Duster.
NCB protection is not car specific, but Insurance co specific. It is upto the Insurance co to offer this dd on cover. Currently the add on cover is offered by Royal Sundaram, Future Generali, Bharati Axa, HDFC Ergo, Tata AIG, Bajaj Allianz etc. I think all major players do offer the NCB protection add on cover.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health insurance queries? Ask me! Haste Shifting gears 350 22nd November 2016 19:29
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section rocksterraghu In-Car Entertainment 695 9th August 2016 07:54
Automobile Insurance - FAQ rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 71 28th October 2015 18:28
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks