Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 10th October 2017, 16:03   #3916

Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I had a major damage to the entire left side of my vehicle and both the doors and the front bumper has to be replaced. My car is 2011 make. How much will the insurance cover? This is the first time I will be claiming in last 6.5 years? any ideas how to negotiate.

The dealer is giving a rough estimate of 70-80K including painting. My car is Fiat Linea T-Jet.
FamilyTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 08:19   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
I had a major damage to the entire left side of my vehicle and both the doors and the front bumper has to be replaced. My car is 2011 make. How much will the insurance cover? This is the first time I will be claiming in last 6.5 years? any ideas how to negotiate.

The dealer is giving a rough estimate of 70-80K including painting. My car is Fiat Linea T-Jet.
Sad to know about the damage. Insurance will cover 100% for all metal parts replacement, 50% for the rubber, 30% for Fiber components (for eg bumper) and 50% for painting charges. What you can do is ask the workshop breakup of the repair based on the above and calculate what the Insurance co is going to pay and how much will be your contribution. I hope you are aware that a compulsory deductible amount based on the car type will also be applicable which is to be borne by the car owner.

Unfortunately, you will lose your accumulated NCB which now should be around 50%. So expect a higher premium renewal next year.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 09:53   #3918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Insurance will cover 100% for all metal parts replacement, 50% for the rubber, 30% for Fiber components (for eg bumper) and 50% for painting charges.
Just a small correction.

The metal parts depreciate as per depreciation schedule as below

Age of the vehicle Vs % of depreciation for metal parts
Not exceeding 6 months Nil
Exceeding 6 months but not 1 year 5%
Exceeding 1 year but not 2 years 10%
Exceeding 2 years but not 3 years 15%
Exceeding 3 years but not 4 years 25%
Exceeding 4 years but not 5years 35%
Exceeding 5 years but not 10 years 40%
Exceeding 10 years 50%

This is as per information publicly available in any insurance policy, IRDA guidelines and various insurance related information available online.

For 6.5 yrs old vehicle, metal depreciation will be 40% upto 10 yrs of age.

Only glass parts are covered 100% irrespective of age of vehicle.

EDIT: A small correction to 50% painting charges:

Rate of Depreciation for Painting : In the case of painting, the depreciation rate of 50% shall be applied only on the material cost of total painting charges. In case of a consolidated bill for painting charges, the material component shall be considered as 25% of total painting charges for the purpose of applying the depreciation, while the labour is covered 100%.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th October 2017 at 15:47. Reason: Adding additional note as per your request. Thanks!
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 10:42   #3919
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that cars over a certain age will only receive only third party insurance policies? I renewed the policy of my tucson and had been putting off getting my windshield replaced. It has developed swirls and is a pain at nights. But now, it seems it will be completely out of pocket.....:(
How much would a tucson's windshield be, by the way.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 11:16   #3920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Just a small correction.
Thanks a ton Parsh for the correction. Apologies for the overlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is it true that cars over a certain age will only receive only third party insurance policies?
No, but the option of having Own Damage component is upto the vehicle owner. Third Party liability component is compulsory for all vehicles.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 11:19   #3921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, but the option of having Own Damage component is upto the vehicle owner. Third Party liability component is compulsory for all vehicles.
I know you can opt for only third party at any point. But my agent told me that owing to the age of my car(12 years), I can only receive a third party policy. Is there such a directive to firms, or do they take such a call on the basis of the cars age?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 12:05   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know you can opt for only third party at any point. But my agent told me that owing to the age of my car(12 years), I can only receive a third party policy. Is there such a directive to firms, or do they take such a call on the basis of the cars age?
No Mayank, nobody can restrict you to buy comprehensive insurance ever. We have had comprehensive for our 15 yr old car too.

Quote:
Insurance will cover ... 50% for painting charges.
Sorry to dig in a bit more Girish. Actually forgot to add this in earlier post only.

Just for clarity:
Rate of Depreciation for Painting : In the case of painting, the depreciation rate of 50% shall be applied only on the material cost of total painting charges. In case of a consolidated bill for painting charges, the material component shall be considered as 25% of total painting charges for the purpose of applying the depreciation, while the labour is covered 100%.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 08:42   #3923
BHPian

Guys, I have an urgent question. My car insurance expired last night. The policy read midnight 17 Oct, so I thought I have today to renew. But it is now showing that it expired yesterday.

I had taken Bharathi Axa through Coverfox. Now when I am trying to renew the insurance through Coverfox, it is mandating an inspection. While the car doesn't have any major damage apart from regular nicks and bruises, I am afraid that they will make a scene if I make an actual claim during this year. What options do I have? Any pointers will be helpful....
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 09:01   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Guys, I have an urgent question. My car insurance expired last night. The policy read midnight 17 Oct, so I thought I have today to renew. But it is now showing that it expired yesterday.

I had taken Bharathi Axa through Coverfox. Now when I am trying to renew the insurance through Coverfox, it is mandating an inspection. While the car doesn't have any major damage apart from regular nicks and bruises, I am afraid that they will make a scene if I make an actual claim during this year. What options do I have? Any pointers will be helpful....
Expired Insurance will need inspection of the car by the issuing Insurance co. Have you tried talking directly to Bharti Axa about the renewal? They should be happy to arrange an inspection and issuance of policy.

Once the policy is issued, there should not be any issue regarding the claims.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:53   #3925
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Expired Insurance will need inspection of the car by the issuing Insurance co. Have you tried talking directly to Bharti Axa about the renewal? They should be happy to arrange an inspection and issuance of policy.

Once the policy is issued, there should not be any issue regarding the claims.
Thanks for the response.

All is well....all is well...

For some reason my policy is not coming up on Bharthi AXA website. I assumed because it has expired. I called them up and they said the policy is valid for today as well. Now scouting for options. Looking at policy bazaar and coverfox.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 11:00   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Looking at policy bazaar and coverfox.
Why not try on Bharti's website to get the quote? Use Coverfox to compare the quotes.

So did Bharti confirm that inspection is not required if the policy is bought today?
Old 17th October 2017, 11:15   #3927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

All is well....all is well...

For some reason my policy is not coming up on Bharthi AXA website. I assumed because it has expired. I called them up and they said the policy is valid for today as well. Now scouting for options. Looking at policy bazaar and coverfox.
Just renew it on the Axa website or through their call centre.

The 3rd party sites will sell your data to a ton of insurance agents and they will all spam you.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 12:41   #3928
BHPian

Quote:
Why not try on Bharti's website to get the quote? Use Coverfox to compare the quotes.

So did Bharti confirm that inspection is not required if the policy is bought today?
Yes, confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just renew it on the Axa website or through their call centre.

The 3rd party sites will sell your data to a ton of insurance agents and they will all spam you.
AXA's quote seems to be pretty high. For an IDV of 2.7L (it was 3.0L last year, depreciated by 10% for this year), Axa is around 12k, whereas HDFC Ergo is at 9k. I checked with the service center, and they accept cashless claims from both. The service center folks were selling Universal Sompo. And that is even cheaper at 8k. I don't have much feedback though.

Still thinking...
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 13:01   #3929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AXA's quote seems to be pretty high. For an IDV of 2.7L (it was 3.0L last year, depreciated by 10% for this year), Axa is around 12k, whereas HDFC Ergo is at 9k. I checked with the service center, and they accept cashless claims from both. The service center folks were selling Universal Sompo. And that is even cheaper at 8k. I don't have much feedback though.
Just check the claim process of HDFC Ergo or Universal with the workshop guys and confirm which offers more peace of mind and less chasing. Even if costs a bit more than the normal. The claim processing with least turn around time should be the one you should buy.

Whatever you buy, ensure that the IDV calculated is correct and get the quotes for the correct IDV.
Old 24th October 2017, 10:11   #3930

Quote:
There is no directive from regulatory body on the max age upto which comprehensive insurance can be provided by insurers. However, insurers themselves set cut off ages as post 10 years as value of cars are highly depreciated, owners generally tend to take less care of their cars and hence prone to more damage and there is chance of very slim profit for the insurer as such.

Hence, if you check online, you will find very less insurers offering comprehensive policies for vehicles > 10 years, even lesser for vehicles > 12 years and no insurer offering policies for vehicles > 15 years. Also, discount offered on these cars will be very less or nil. There is high probability that your 11th year premium is > than you 10th year premium. You might get more quotes and options offline for cars beyond 10 years.
Petr0lHead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote