Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 1st December 2009, 16:52   #46
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What is the procedure rearding tax payment proof in other states?
In Karnataka, registration certificate [RC] is issued in a smart card. A receipt is issued for payment of life-time tax [LTT], which you are supposed to keep along with RC. In case of new vehicles, RTO staff visit the dealership every day, inspect the vehicles there, collect the documents/DD and return the receipt for LTT for registered vehicles. I got my smart card RC after three weeks. Vehicles are not sent to RTO for registration.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 16:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi

Contrary to what most of the dealers insist that they do the regn at a fees of Rs.2500 to 3000 , my dealer asked me to arrange this on my own (since he dont have a person to do this or alternatively he will make some arrangements out of his office but then they will charge Rs.3000/-.

My friend was with me that time and one his relative is working in the RTO office. So both we went to RTO and got this guy and asked him the formalities. He explained, it is easy but the horrible thing is to stand in que in the cash counter. Alternatively he suggested that to get an agent and do this work and he will charge around Rs.150
or so. So I asked him to recommend some good guy and promptly he introduced me a old guy. I asked him the expenses and told me Rs.650/- including government feesRs.350/- + Rs.100 cess + Rs.50 some other charges and Rs.25 envelop with stamp. I thought it is cheap and I told him to proceed.

When the documentation were ready, I have asked the dealer to produce the car for RTO check up. His driver did the job and took back the car, after RTO inspection, to the garage and did proper cleaning prior I took delivery.

So I got the registration done at Rs.650/- against dealer charge of Rs.3000/- (a sving of Rs.2350/-). And now, know the formalities and working style of RTO !
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

@nairrk---that was a neat job! You paid only 200 more than the normal charge, it looks like.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 15:02   #49
BHPian

Thanks Guys.

I got inspired by this thread and also for the sake of saving some bucks, went ahead with my car registration just an hour ago.

Went to the RTA, Kondapur, Hyderabad office at around 11.25 AM and submitted my documents. The papers has to be arranged in a proper sequence listed there. I was asked to pay Rs.625/= and then after getting a receipt was asked to sign on a digital pad.

After that I took the Chassis number trace on those papers. I struggled here a little as the Chassis number ( VIN Number ) engraved on the chassis has a transparent sticker over it. Due to this sticker, I was not able to take a proper impression on the paper. You need to peel-off this sticker before taking the chassis number impression.

This applies to the New VW Polo cars. ( Don't know if other cars also would have this transparent sticker )

After this, the inspector checked the vehicle. and its all done.

All this took me around 40-45 minutes. Totally I paid 625+200 = Rs.825/=
The dealer was charging me Rs.2500/=
I saved a total of Rs.1625/=
alexkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 13:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkrish View Post
Thanks Guys.

I got inspired by this thread and also for the sake of saving some bucks, went ahead with my car registration just an hour ago.

Went to the RTA, Kondapur, Hyderabad office at around 11.25 AM and submitted my documents. The papers has to be arranged in a proper sequence listed there. I was asked to pay Rs.625/= and then after getting a receipt was asked to sign on a digital pad.

After that I took the Chassis number trace on those papers. I struggled here a little as the Chassis number ( VIN Number ) engraved on the chassis has a transparent sticker over it. Due to this sticker, I was not able to take a proper impression on the paper. You need to peel-off this sticker before taking the chassis number impression.

This applies to the New VW Polo cars. ( Don't know if other cars also would have this transparent sticker )

After this, the inspector checked the vehicle. and its all done.

All this took me around 40-45 minutes. Totally I paid 625+200 = Rs.825/=
The dealer was charging me Rs.2500/=
I saved a total of Rs.1625/=

Well done .This is the way go.Good job
hdi_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 09:29   #51
BHPian

Default Registration of a new car on your own - Hyderabad

(Mods Please move this to a new thread if you think so. Looks like each state's process is different)

I am bumping up this thread to encourage more people in the forum to do the Permanent Registration on their own. I have done the registration on my own for our last two cars, and both times the experience was smooth and took me 30 mins provided you have all the correct documents with you. My experience is from Kondapur RTO Office. This is in general less crowded than other RTOs since it accepts only New Registration and Driving Test application and for everything else you have to go to the Attapur RTO Office.

So these are the 10 documents required.
  1. Form 20 (In Duplicate if you have Finance and signed by the Finance company)
  2. Form 21 provided by the dealer
  3. Form 22 provided by the vehicle Manufacturer
  4. Photocopy of a valid Insurance Certificate
  5. Tax invoice from the dealer
  6. Temporary Registration Certificate
  7. Life Tax Receipt
  8. Photo ID Proof (Govt provided)
  9. Address Proof (Ration Card, Electricity Bill, Passport, BSNL Telephone Bill...)
  10. PAN Card.

Before you go to the RTO
  • Verify if you have all these documents above. (When I went to register my Xylo in 2010, I found out that the dealer did not provide me the Form 20. I had to travel 20 km up and down to the dealer again to get the document and wasted around 1 hour of my time.) You also need to sign on form 20 at 2-3 places.
  • Refer your owner's manual or ask the dealer where the Chassis number is punched on the body. Usually there is also a plate provided which has the Chassis number. This is not what you want. For Tata Nano you can see this on the side wall when you open the driver's side door. Please check you can comfortably reach this place and take pencil trace of this number. (Makes you more confident if you take a sample pencil trace at your home once.) Unfortunately some vehicle manufacturers punch it at hard to reach places. For Xylo, this was on the chassis member behind the right front wheel. You had to turn the wheel all the way to the right and do a little bit of bending to reach there.
  • Carry a pen and a small pencil.

After reaching the RTO
This list of documents is put up outside the Registration counter at the RTO, and you need to arrange the documents in the order specified in the list and give it at the New Registration Counter. This counter opens at 10:30 AM, it helps if you go around 15 mins early, so that you are familiar with the environment. You might even find some friendly agent who will verify the document order and give it inside without a fee.

The clerk verifies the documents and issues a fee receipt after collecting the prescribed fee of Rs 660/- (Appln Fee - Rs 200, Late fee - Rs 25, Service Charge - Rs 200, Smart Card Fee - Rs 200, Postal Charges - Rs 35). You can save on the late fee if you register within 7 days of Temp Regn. You then join another queue and come to the same clerk () where you have to sign on a digital signature pad.

Then you take all the documents and the fee receipt to the vehicle inspector (in uniform), who sits in the open in a small shed. He will check if you have the PAN card copy and your address proof etc and ask you to go inside another room to get initial of his chief. This officer is in an A/C room towards the driving test area. He immediately puts his sign without any verification. On the bottom edge of the first page of Form 20, now you have to take the pencil trace of the Chassis number. If you have finance, then there will be two copies of Form 20, you have to take pencil trace on both copies. After this bring the documents back to the first vehicle inspector and bring the vehicle also to him. He will ask his chela to read out the chassis number while he verifies on the Form 20. Gives you a copy of the receipt and voila you have saved yourself Rs. 2400/-.

The entire process took me only 30 minutes and it is not at all difficult. The RC smart card will come your house by post. Your Regn number will be updated on the RTA website by the same day evening. You can search using your Temporary Regn Number.

Further reading, AP Transport Website.

Last edited by rknair : 19th January 2013 at 09:39. Reason: Message to the mods..
rknair is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:31   #52
BHPian

Default Re: Registration of a new car on your own - Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
The entire process took me only 30 minutes and it is not at all difficult. The RC smart card will come your house by post. Your Regn number will be updated on the RTA website by the same day evening. You can search using your Temporary Regn Number.

Further reading, AP Transport Website.
I got my car registered at the RTO Kondapur Today. The procedure is simple as explained above and it took us 45 minutes in all. 5 mins to pay the fees Rs 635, 2 mins for digital signature and the rest was waiting for the Inspector to reach his seat. Once he started, the process was over in 15 mins for 25 vehicles., Super efficient
indian21r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:17   #53
BHPian

Default Re: Registration of a new car on your own - Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I got my car registered at the RTO Kondapur Today. The procedure is simple as explained above and it took us 45 minutes in all. 5 mins to pay the fees Rs 635, 2 mins for digital signature and the rest was waiting for the Inspector to reach his seat. Once he started, the process was over in 15 mins for 25 vehicles., Super efficient
Hi indian21r,

Fantastic Job and well done. I was suprised too when I did my car registration in Noida and Car reregistration in Bangalore.No one asked for a bribe and only issue was taking a day off do the job.

-hdi_pro
hdi_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 15:34   #54
BHPian

Default Hyderabad Vehicle Registration process

Hi guys,

Just today completed the registration of my EcoSport which I took delivery a week ago. I'm listing out the process here to help others going for registration.

As per my address I come under Khairatabad RTO. The car is on my wife's name so had to take her along. I initially planned to go with the broker to speed up the process as we left our two month old baby at home and he would be hungry in no time. But after reaching RTO office it looked like going through broker would take more time so wife insisted on getting it ourself. And the whole process was completed in 20 minutes. And the steps we followed:

1. Parked the car in the designated area. Brokers would gather around but ignore them.
2. Go to the second floor in the building which is on the right hand-side while entering to the RTO office. Counter 8 & 9 accept the new registration documents. I think this is where they will verify if there is any other vehicle registered on your name. I've carried with me:
  • Form 20 (Provided by dealer)
  • Form 21 (Provided by dealer)
  • Form 22 (Provided by dealer)
  • Original T/R certificate (Provided by dealer)
  • Original Road tax receipt (Provided by dealer)
  • Insurance Copy (Provided by dealer)
  • Invoice from dealer (Provided by dealer)
  • PAN Card Copy
  • Address proof which was on my name
  • Marriage certificate (Since the address proof was on my name this was required)
Note: If your vehicle is hypothecated, you may have to carry an additional Form 20. Check with your dealer for details.
3. Officer verified the documents, arranged them in order and asked us to pay Rs. 635/-. Paid the amount with exact change and collected the documents along with green payment receipt.
4. Came down where the to-be registered cars are parked. Handed over the documents to the officer who was waiting under a small hut. He asked us to imprint the chassis number on Form 20 first and third pages. And trust me this was the only task where I had to sweat. For EcoSport the chassis number is stamped under the drivers seat. It is a inch deep and I had to struggle to get it on paper. I was only able to get some part of it and gave up after 5 minutes.
5. Went back to the same officer and he came by the car and asked me to read the chassis number aloud. He signed in few places and asked my wife to sign wherever required.
6. We then handed over the documents to another office who was sitting inside a small cabin. He verified the documents one more time and handed over one part of the payment receipt to us and said that is it. He mentioned we'll receive the smart card within a week but we can check our registration number at http://www.aptransport.org by evening.

I have also enquired if it is mandatory to get the HSRP (High Security Registration Plates). Unfortunately he said Yes and it is a different process. Even thought it is not being tracked right now, in future it may be a rule.

For HSRP, I again have to visit RTO office at 4 in the evening. Will post the detailed process once I come back.
Apple is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 22:56   #55
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad Vehicle Registration process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
2. Go to the second floor in the building which is on the right hand-side while entering to the RTO office. Counter 8 & 9 accept the new registration documents. I think this is where they will verify if there is any other vehicle registered on your name.
Sorry, the counter numbers mentioned in the above post are incorrect. Please read them as counter 15/16.

Process to get HSRP (High Security Registration Plates):

1. Once the registration process was completed in the morning, officer asked me to come in the evening after 4 PM for paying HSRP fee. As the car is on my wife's name I checked with them if she is required for HSRP payment and the answer was No. Relief
2. Reached Khairatabad RTO office by 16:30. Went to the same counter (Counter 15/16) where I paid registration fee in the morning and just showed the registration payment receipt. Officer took a print-out of the HSRP authorisation letter, handed it over to us and asked us to visit a new counter which is just beside the car parking area. The registration number is mentioned in the letter
3. Gave the authorisation letter at the counter and paid Rs. 639/- for a LMV (Light Motor Vehicle). Collected the payment receipt which has the details like Authorisation number, Registration number, name etc.
4. The person at the counter asked us to come back after 4 working days to get HSRP fixed. I checked with them if I can visit after 10 days as I will be travelling outside for 2 weeks. I can come back anytime after the 4 days and get them fixed, no time limit.
Apple is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 12:38   #56
BHPian

Default Re: Registration of a new car without any broker(without paying bribe) in Noida

Hello all,

Please can someone advise the new car registration process for MH14, that is Pimpri Chinchwad location. (Pune, PCMC)

I would like to check out the self registration feasibility.

Regards,
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:40   #57
BHPian

Default Re: Registration of a new car without any broker(without paying bribe) in Noida

Just an addendum to the documents list in hyderabad , if you are going by yourself ,

The exshowroom price list of the car should also be taken to the registration office
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote