Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 08:46   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 338 Times
Default I took Insurance outside for Safari

I saved almost 5.5 K by opting insurance outside for my Safari LX. It is huge difference.

After all negotiation finalized I took out insurance too. After that dealers were not denying that they get hefty commission out of it.

Just shop around for insurance now a days, you will definitely get good deal.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 09:55   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 294
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

The premiums quoted by websites of Insurance comapnies (or telephonic calls) are higher than what my dealer quoted.

Only National Insurance premium value is less by 5k.

How decent is National Insurance in claims settlement? (Browsing the threads ICICI seems to be no go... ) Will it be like a govt company that I have to run behind?

My current insurance is with Royal Sundaram and so far experience is good. However their premium is higher than dealer value..

Can someone suggest Agent contact details at Chennai?
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 10:04   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
The premiums quoted by websites of Insurance comapnies (or telephonic calls) are higher than what my dealer quoted.

I am sure that will not be the case. Normally the online quotes are far less than the dealer quotes. In mycase of Fiesta the dealer quoted 25K whereas online quote was 18K a diff of 6K.

My current insurance is with Royal Sundaram and so far experience is good. However their premium is higher than dealer value..
Did you take Sundaram's car policy add on covers too. I tried the other day for an online quote for renewing my car insurance and the premiums displayed were the least amongst the Insurers I searched for. Also one strange thing observed was the IDV quoted was more than my actual invoice cost of the vehicle. Did you encounter any such issues.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 10:56   #49
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 654
Thanked: 184 Times
Default

Same experience like others on this thread. I saved a good 12K when I forced the MM dealership to remove the insurance cost from the overall cost. I was given the standard spiel of compulsory insurance from the dealer etc. Nothing doing or I take my business elsewhere and a few frantic phone calls later they matched the quote I had received independely.
The sales agent did get a dressing down (in front of me) from the dealer manager regarding committing to freebies beforehand, giving rise to some sympathy for the poor chap. I guess though that's their 'good cop-bad cop' routine.
Suggested this approach to couple of colleagues with positive results

For people in Pune living in MH12 jurisdiction, if you have an address proof in MH14 area - you save a few grand on sales tax on as well.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 13:33   #50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 21
Thanked: Once
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

I would like to put forward my experience yesterday while I went to buy the car

1. While applying for the Loan,I had removed the Insurance cost from the quote and saved 3,500/- from the Quote of the dealer.The dealer was OK with it.
2. During making my portion of the payment I wanted to do the registration myself and the dealer clearly stated that I will have to follow all the conditions mentioned in the Booking form failing which he will not deliver the vehicle.The additional amount is aprox. 10000/-

The car was already allotted to me thus I negotiated on two freebies of Foot Mat and Full Matting and agreed,as I will have to wait for another six months (22 weeks) or so to get the car Dzire ZDi.

Though agreed to the same,But the feeling of being emotionally Blackmailed and threat perception ruined the entire charm of buying the car.


I will take up this issue later with Maruti .
Bengal Bonding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 20:08   #51
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Bonding View Post
I would like to put forward my experience yesterday while I went to buy the car

1. While applying for the Loan,I had removed the Insurance cost from the quote and saved 3,500/- from the Quote of the dealer.The dealer was OK with it.
2. During making my portion of the payment I wanted to do the registration myself and the dealer clearly stated that I will have to follow all the conditions mentioned in the Booking form failing which he will not deliver the vehicle.The additional amount is aprox. 10000/-

The car was already allotted to me thus I negotiated on two freebies of Foot Mat and Full Matting and agreed,as I will have to wait for another six months (22 weeks) or so to get the car Dzire ZDi.

Though agreed to the same,But the feeling of being emotionally Blackmailed and threat perception ruined the entire charm of buying the car.


I will take up this issue later with Maruti .
I am facing the exact same dilemma now. I waited for 5 months for a swift and the dealer now claims that I have to take insurance from them only. I categorically told them that all my servicing will be done at other dealer in the future if I am blackmailed. I will have to see how this will pan out.

Really cheap way to treat people who wait patiently.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 20:45   #52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 21
Thanked: Once
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Why don't you ask for a clarification from Maruti.This cannot go on. They are supposed to sell cars.Let Maruti Increase the price if they cannot feed the dealers.
Bengal Bonding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 10:24   #53
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Bonding View Post
Why don't you ask for a clarification from Maruti.This cannot go on. They are supposed to sell cars.Let Maruti Increase the price if they cannot feed the dealers.
I finally gave up on getting insurance from Outside for the First year. First I had no time to discuss on the issue. And Second they were literally saying that the only money they are making is on diesel cars. I needed the car as priority. So told them to give bajaj allianz. The quote for zero dep was exorbitant from Maruti. So went ahead with the standard policy.

Last edited by indian21r : 19th December 2011 at 10:28.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 21:37   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how does this process work exactly?

Does the dealer register the vehicle and then you buy the insurance from a third party or do you get a temp registration and then buy the policy on that and after registration you get the reg changed from the insurance company

I'm buying a polo GT Tsi and the dealer has quoted 34,600 for comprehensive insurance and 6,600 extra for 0% depreciation

Comparing quotes on policy bazaar for the same IDV, i have quotes including 0% dep at 25,000

So wanted to know the process, could someone elaborate please

Thanks
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 11:16   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Does the dealer register the vehicle and then you buy the insurance from a third party or do you get a temp registration and then buy the policy on that and after registration you get the reg changed from the insurance company

I'm buying a polo GT Tsi and the dealer has quoted 34,600 for comprehensive insurance and 6,600 extra for 0% depreciation

Comparing quotes on policy bazaar for the same IDV, i have quotes including 0% dep at 25,000
The process is you buy the insurance first and provide the dealer with the copies who will used them for registering the car. No car can be registered without a valid insurance policy.

It is clear from the quotes that the VW dealer is robbing you in the name of insurance. Since you got better quotes from outside, it is wise to buy insurance on your own rather than from the dealer. Other option is show the quotes to the dealer and negotiate to get the same rate from them.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 13:14   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 314
Thanked: 91 Times
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The process is you buy the insurance first and provide the dealer with the copies who will used them for registering the car.
The policy which we receive from the dealer, when we buy a car, always has the registration number (along with engine & chassis number). Also, insurance policy purchase online typically requires the registration number of the vehicle.
How is it possible without registering the car? Can you just buy a policy with just engine & chassis numbers? How does the registration number get updated in the new insurance certificate when we buy it ourselves?
Thanks.

Last edited by null : 26th January 2016 at 13:15.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 16:32   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Can you just buy a policy with just engine & chassis numbers? How does the registration number get updated in the new insurance certificate when we buy it ourselves?
Thanks.
I too had the same doubt. When I try to buy a new policy from policybazar the registration number comes up as "MH 01 NEW", it however asks me for the chassis number and the engine number.

The chat support guy on the site says that the insurance would be made on the temp registration number of the car, is this correct?

Once i purchase the insurance, what registration would they put in the pdf of the policy that they mail me? and how does one go about updating the registration number in the policy once the car dealer has completed the registration of the vehicle?

Thanks!
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 17:32   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Yes. The dealer insurance is rubbish.
My friend bought a brand new Innova a week ago and we did some independent research on the Insurance and saved Rs 30K on the policy, just because we got it from one of the leading banks, rather than go with the dealer insurance!
And the policy covers everything that the dealer's did!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 13:10   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes. The dealer insurance is rubbish.
My friend bought a brand new Innova a week ago and we did some independent research on the Insurance and saved Rs 30K on the policy, just because we got it from one of the leading banks, rather than go with the dealer insurance!
And the policy covers everything that the dealer's did!
Shankar.Balan, could you please clear the doubts i raised 2 posts earlier about the process.

Thanks
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 19:18   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile re: New car insurance? Take dealer quotes with a bag of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
The policy which we receive from the dealer, when we buy a car, always has the registration number (along with engine & chassis number). Also, insurance policy purchase online typically requires the registration number of the vehicle.
How is it possible without registering the car? Can you just buy a policy with just engine & chassis numbers? How does the registration number get updated in the new insurance certificate when we buy it ourselves?
Thanks.
When you buy Insurance for new car, you dont need registration no. In all Insurance websites there is an option to buy Insurance for new car. All you need to mention is the RTO no, Chassis, Engine no and few other relevant details. The Insurance co will issue a policy where it will be clearly mentioned for a new car. Once the registration details are received, either it can be updated on the existing Insurance policy by making an application to the Insurance co or during renewal of the policy at the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I too had the same doubt. When I try to buy a new policy from policybazar the registration number comes up as "MH 01 NEW", it however asks me for the chassis number and the engine number.

The chat support guy on the site says that the insurance would be made on the temp registration number of the car, is this correct?

Once i purchase the insurance, what registration would they put in the pdf of the policy that they mail me? and how does one go about updating the registration number in the policy once the car dealer has completed the registration of the vehicle?

Thanks!
Hope the above answers your question.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Accessories - Marks & Glix (Salt Lake, Kolkata) shuvc Other Cities 43 10th August 2016 18:30
Dealer not giving option to take Insurance outside rajivn Indian Car Loans & Insurance 72 14th January 2016 23:59
Cashless Insurance - Only if insurance bought from dealer? sadnabrina Indian Car Loans & Insurance 9 16th July 2015 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks