Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 3rd November 2009, 20:46   #16
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your advices. We are not doing anything to the car. Right now waiting for the car to be towed to the tata fiat service centre at cochin,Kerala.
Something more about the accident. It took place at wayanad, kerala . The car was at 100 kmph when it crashed. The driver was trying to evade a truck coming against him from the opposite direction. The left side tyres went out of the edge of the road. The edges were a bit high and he couldn't get his car back on to the road. Then it crashed on to a tree and a concrete electric post. Then it turned 360 degrees twice,before coming to a stop. The post shattered to 3 pieces and one fell on the car. Nothing happened to the occupants. In the cabin, the fibre panels that separates the back doors from the rear windshield were out of place. Other than that, the cabin had no signs of the crash. will post the pics by tomorrow.

Last edited by fireblade007 : 3rd November 2009 at 20:51. Reason: want to add some more details
fireblade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:00   #17
BHPian

What happened was that,

I was actually driving from tholpetty wildlife sanctuary (KARNATAKA-KERALA) to Mananthawady in KERALA. We were four cars, me in my punto emotion bossa nova white, rahul, and another two friends. The road was super, recently surfaced, good lighting from punto, almost nil traffic as well. While i was traversing a rightward curve, a lorry came from opposite direction, with half of its chasis wrong side. I just manouvered punto to left side, out of the road and tried to reach the road again. But the road had very deep cutting there, punto didnt climb back, and suddenly saw an electric post infrot of me.
Since i was trying to climb back, i didnt apply brake, hit directly onto that post with full speed. After hitting, the post broke in three peices, was derooted and fell over punto. But she was not stopping. After the impact, she hit another JACKFRUIT tree standing near by, had a violent shake and rotated full 360 degrees to stop in the middle of the road. The sound was too immense such that people from almost a kilometer came for the rescue.
GREAT GOD, none was injured, no drop of blood spilled. The car had taken all the shock of the crash. The inside compartment was intact, no wonder she has got 5 star safety rating. Also after seeing the accident, the locals were in such a rage as well. But to our help, no body was injured, no third party involved, the post eventhough electric, was not having a wiring that time. ALSO we were not under the influence as well.
They have informed the local police who came in 10 mins, written something over some paper, helped to take car to a side. It took more than 15 persons to move her. Me went to the police station. They were of great help that day. They asked my identity and driving license. I was having original DL that time, with my ID card from Medical College. They have informed the Electricity Board from the station. A lineman from the board came with us to inspect the post, which was totalled, informed AE, and asked Rs/-1400 as fine, which was settled infront of the Head Constable of MANANTHAVADY POLICE SATION, entered everything in their diary and released the car. They even said, they can even arrange a lodge for me,since it was almost 10:30 pm and i have to stay back to get the GD from police for my insurance claim. Since i was staying with a friend of mine,i went to the crash spot.
Unfortunately, the left front door was not able to be locked and so decided to pull her to a yard about 10 kms away. I went with my friend to a tractor man nearby and there was the hardest part. He was such arrogant, (I KNOW ITS MID-NIGHT). But after a while he helped us pull to the yard.
On monday, 2nd, i went to the station to get the GD and got it by 12:00 pm, and arranged a lorry to take it to the dealer, about 300kms from the site.(Only that time i seriously thought about my MARUTI MAHAN). Anyway the lorry was scheduled at night 8PM, and since nobody was injured, we went to a nearby waterfall.
Here comes more trouble.. Since the front was full damaged, they couldnot get her on the lorry. So we decided to stay back for one more night. Next morning, we started from wayanadu to thrissur, on another car arranged by my friend. He helped me with lot many things, including, arranging the crane from thrissur. Right now i am writing this from thrissur and my friend, Baapu, is helping to pack her on a crane service vehicle.
Immediately after the accident, i had called RF motors, Cochin to get some help. They have arranged for a crane from thrissur, to get the car to their centre in cochin, at a reduced rate of 12.5 rs per km run. But today after realising the difficulty in loading her onto a truck and unloading her back, i have called the crane. Truck would have been costing around 5500 + unloading charge in cochin. I am expecting about 7000 for the crane service..Will update you as soon as the car reaches the srvice centre.
Attached Images

drnibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:08   #18
BHPian

The local people who came to the scene split into two groups,one against us for rash driving and the other half was supporting us. The police helped in settling the scene. They were also quick to complete the paper works without causing much delay and they didn't ask for any bribe for that.We had to pay Rs 1400 as fine for the damage to the electric post( to the state electricity board). We are going to use a crane for towing the car to the service station at cochin. Cost Rs 25/km(one side).Its about 300 kms.
fireblade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:10   #19
BHPian

BHPian fireblade was coming about 10 mins behind... It was his help that helped me that night the most. He accompanied me to the police station, was with me every moment that night..
Old 4th November 2009, 01:36   #20
BHPian

That was she before the event....
Attached Images

Old 4th November 2009, 10:44   #21
BHPian

@drnibu

Ouch!! That is some serious damage..I wish I didn't see that happen to a punto so early.. Thank god no one was hurt.

I can really understand "that" feeling you are going through which I underwent back in july. was difficult to drive a car for a month.

My turbo was 2 yrs old; BUT the IDV was just enough to cover the damage, but before the verdict from reliance; the TSC adviser told me the process that would need to be followed if reliance DECIDES "repair":
..If the chassis (body shell) is also damaged along with engine, TATA wont repair MAJOR damage to the body shell, they simply order a new one from the factory and try repairing the engine (recon parts) & use "reusable" parts from the totaled car. Like doors, dash, wheels, mirrors etc. The parts that are not damaged and can be used on a new body.

Knowing the adviser at TSC, I got them to convince reliance for a total loss. Reason was that the IDV was not enough to cover the "parts" listed by tata for claim.

But in your case as far as my understanding with total loss goes, and since TATA & FIAT work in a similar environment (AFIK); you may not get a total loss; as the current IDV of your car is enough cover a whole new car with all new parts. And judging by the amount of damage in the pics; its really hard to tell if the insurance company approves a total loss.

For a total loss, you gotta pull all strings within your reach.

Try talking to "RF motors" the advisor handling your case; creating the claim parts list.
If you had your insurance done from outside (not at dealer) talk to the agent you had it issued from; he should be able to help you for the total loss.
When the surveyor from the insurance company comes/appointed, let him know that you dont want to repair the car, instead total loss is what you are looking for.

The entire process of decision taking will take a minimum of a week to 10 days.

BTW, which company's insurance do you hold?? And did you catch hold of that truck driver??
TC_aashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 13:04   #22
BHPian

But in this case, which will be the better option??
1. If TATA FIAT replaces the body shell, ie the chasis, then isnt it ok to get her repaired with those parts which are not damaged? Ill have to pay 50% of plastic parts, bumper, headlights right? And if the shell is replaced, its safe to ride her again??
2.Total loss gives me only 95% of ex show room price, right. SO TAX, Insurance, and 5 % ex show room price will show up as about 85000 rs.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

drnibu, I'm not sure as to whether the car will return to it's pristine shape after a major accident like this.

Have you enquired with the RTO if the tax will be refunded if the car is a total loss - logically it should be returned.

If you get the tax back I'd say go for a new car.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:26   #24
BHPian

She was brought to the yard in ekm on 4th. I went there, and talked to the senior advisor. According to him, the damage was not so bad. I may not get a total loss. Only thing i didnt like there was their attitude. Earlier it was like there privilege to service her there. Now its like my need. Of course its my need, but still, isnt this a consumer era? He wanted me to take photocopies of some documents and come. That part i dont like, since when i was with MASS, I dont have to care for even the signature.
Today i got the estimate from them as lakh and above. Whats that? I asked him particularly. Its 3.5 lakhs. That will come around as 60% of idv. Now i am confused. Are they/rf/ trying not for a total loss, since by repair job they will get a huge amount as labour charge and all?Or are they extrapolating the estimate for the insurance survey? I am thinking to get a detailed job card and to talk with the insurance people.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:21   #25
BHPian

@drnibu: 60% IDV is very close. You can push for a total loss, though difficult its not impossible. BTW which is your Insurance? I hope its not ICICI.

I too had an accident last year in an exactly similar manner. In my case instead of a tree, it was a narrow bridge at the end of the curve and again culprit was a truck. I was lucky that I didn't hit the bridge railing, but I was unfortunate enough to topple my Safari. The repair costs came to 1.5 Lakhs and I had to pay 45K and the vehicle was just 8 months old and was eligible for 95% insurance. I ended up paying that only because my insurance was with ICICI.
Holyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 16:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

I hope I am not sounding negative but I told you this will happen!!!

Some part of your writeup is also not wrong even the repairing guy will not like that the car goes for total loss. I hope that insurance company support you but still I don't think so that they will also do that.

Few day's back I had seen a car for which the repairing cost was more then 90% still insurance company said that they will not give the total loss value because this car can be repaired and re-used. When I came to know this case I talked to owner and told him that I can help but he was not sure that I can help so he told me no. Few day's after I haired that he spent more then 40% of IDV for repair of his 3 month old car.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 17:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnibu View Post
But in this case, which will be the better option??
1. If TATA FIAT replaces the body shell, ie the chasis, then isnt it ok to get her repaired with those parts which are not damaged? Ill have to pay 50% of plastic parts, bumper, headlights right? And if the shell is replaced, its safe to ride her again??
2.Total loss gives me only 95% of ex show room price, right. SO TAX, Insurance, and 5 % ex show room price will show up as about 85000 rs.
If the insurance company agrees for a total loss, and if you are also getting the road tax and all back go for it. and then you could buy a new car.

But if they approve repair; and if fiat is replacing your punto's body shell, then there is no need to worry as it will be as good as new.
Looking at the damage, you will get the full front part of your car new. Dont see anything other than the doors that is not damaged and can be used again. cant say anything about the engine yet..

Quote:
She was brought to the yard in ekm on 4th. I went there, and talked to the senior advisor. According to him, the damage was not so bad. I may not get a total loss. Only thing i didnt like there was their attitude. Earlier it was like there privilege to service her there. Now its like my need. Of course its my need, but still, isnt this a consumer era? He wanted me to take photocopies of some documents and come. That part i dont like, since when i was with MASS, I dont have to care for even the signature.
Today i got the estimate from them as lakh and above. Whats that? I asked him particularly. Its 3.5 lakhs. That will come around as 60% of idv. Now i am confused. Are they/rf/ trying not for a total loss, since by repair job they will get a huge amount as labour charge and all?Or are they extrapolating the estimate for the insurance survey? I am thinking to get a detailed job card and to talk with the insurance people.
drnibu, Its not that they are not trying for a total loss, its just that, your IDV is much more than enough to cover the repair for the current damage.

Try talking to the insurance company that you want a total loss. But let me warn you, since the estimate will be before you and the insurance company; and from my experience with reliance, these company's offer a "figure" that is right as per them for total loss. for which you will have to settle; no negotiation will take place and you will have to take what they give you..

Do put up the detailed estimate..
and which is your insurance company???
TC_aashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 20:10   #28
BHPian

The insurance company is future generali. Also according to the Senior service officer in rf, fiat punto does not have a chasis, its the crash panel that is damaged. They are telling that they will replace the crash panels, and all.
Old 7th November 2009, 10:12   #29
BHPian

The idv according to future generali is 535,715 rs. If i am going for a total loss how much will be my refund???
Old 7th November 2009, 12:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The idv according to future generali is 535,715 rs. If i am going for a total loss how much will be my refund???
Full amount.
Only excess is deducted which will be Rs. 1000 approx. Its there in your policy please check it.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote