Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 8th February 2010, 11:24   #31
BHPian

hercules - so how did this get resolved?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 12:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
She knows how to drive, she used to drive the 800 earlier. However, she wasn't too confident with the Indica since it was a bigger car. So she took a 5 hour training on an Indica. Once she was comfortable in the driving school Indica, we thought it would be good if she takes our Indica out. Unfortunately, the entry to my house is really really tough and, like I said, I don't know what the driving instructor was doing while guiding her to park the car.

I was having my physio therapy sessions inside, so I couldn't be out to oversee the proceedings. The rest is hsitory.

@rjvora_2000: Not really having the mood to take pics of the damaged car. Don't want memories of it. Let me see anyway.
I am sure your claim must have been settled by now.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 12:12   #33
BHPian

@navan49, @WindRide, @rjvora_2000:
The claim got resolved. I didn't pay a single pie for the damages. The lease provider picked up the car and took it to their workshop, got it surveyed and replaced the following parts.

1) Left wing mirror
2) Left front door
3) Left rear door
4) Left underbody skirting which included the rear quarter panel in my car

They added new side impact beams when they replaced the doors.

I was not even shown the cost for the claims. They picked up the car and delivered it back to me after 2 days. No one even got back to me for verification. I had said it was my mistake and I rubbed the car against the wall while parking.
herculesksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 08:19   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Insurance claims for own damage

Hi Friends,
I am from Bangalore. Yesterday I made a self indicted damage to my car - a Fiat Palio 1.2 NV (2006 model) while taking reverse in a narrow road. I hit a electric post while taking reverse.It was raining heavily yesterday evening, and there were many bikes parked onto the left side, due to which I had to take a sharp turn while reverse. So I was trying to avoid them being hit while taking a turn and reverse, misjudged the angle and hit the electric post .Due to rain, I couldn't clearly see the electric post too.

The accident caused dent to the boot from the middle through the bumper. After reaching home, I immediately called up the TATA AIG Insurance and reported the accident , and registered a claim. I have these questions haunting me since then:

1. Did I do the right thing in reporting this accident to register the claim? Did I went fast with this?
2. Should I have checked with some workshop people or authorized workshop and enquired about the cost for repair, or check for cashless facility thru insurance.
3. Does this hamper any possibility of getting a cashless benefit or impact my credibility for future insurances?

Can you please share your thoughts on these?

Thanks,

Last edited by blrboy : 29th June 2014 at 08:20.
blrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 08:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Insurance claims for own damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
1. Did I do the right thing in reporting this accident to register the claim? Did I went fast with this?
2. Should I have checked with some workshop people or authorized workshop and enquired about the cost for repair, or check for cashless facility thru insurance.
3. Does this hamper any possibility of getting a cashless benefit or impact my credibility for future insurances?
To answer your queries:
1) Yes, you did the right thing.
2) You cans till do that after getting a quote of repair from the authiorized workshop. If you feel the cost is the higher side and you are sure this can be better done at a good FNG at lower cost then why not take it to them.
3) Not at all. If you claim insurance, you will lose the NCB for the next year.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 12:39   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Thank you ghodlur,

While I am still waiting for the surveyor from TATA-EIG to come , I gave my car for an estimate to FastCars , Bannarghatta road, bangalore. For repairing it they are estimating around 14K. They are also suggesting me not to go for insurance.

I am yet to have the surveyor from Tata AIG to inspect the vehicle.

Thanks
blrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 14:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Insurance claims for own damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
They are also suggesting me not to go for insurance.
Thats should be your call rather than theirs. If the repair cost is more than the amount you can save by NCB during next renewal then you should claim the Insurance.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 16:58   #38
BHPian

Yesterday I accompanied one of my colleagues (whose vehicle was hit on the front side by someone who was reversing) to service centre of a big auto company. My colleague has Zero depreciation insurance policy for his brand new vehicle from one of the private insurers. The service centre attendant gave the following estimates:

Repairs from own funds (to save on 20% No Claim Bonus):
Parts Cost: Rs. 13000/-
Labor Charges: Rs. 500/-
Paint Charges: Rs. 4000/-
Total: Rs. 17,500/- plus VAT and Service Tax

Repairs through cash less insurance:
Claim Charge: Rs. 1000/- (To be borne by my colleague)
Parts Cost: Rs. 0/- (To be borne by insurance company)
Labor Charges: Rs. 0/- (To be borne by insurance company)
Paint Charges: Rs. 0/- (To be borne by insurance company)
Consumables: Rs. 1500/- (To be borne by my colleague)
Salvage value: Rs. 1300/- (10% of the parts costs, to be borne by my colleague even though he has Zero Dep. insurance)
Total: Rs. 3800/- plus VAT and Service Tax

Needless to say, he told the attendant that he will go with cash less insurance to which the attendant said that he needs to bring the vehicle for surveyor's inspection sometime this week and then have to leave the vehicle there.

My question is: Are the charges under Consumables (Rs. 1500/-) and Salvage Value (Rs. 1300/-) unnecessary forced onto my colleague who also have to let go his No Claim Bonus? Is this a ploy by the service centre to make money considering the fact that no such charges are levied if my colleague bears the repair costs? If so, what should he do?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TSIched'Out : 28th July 2014 at 17:06. Reason: Correction in Consumables amount
TSIched'Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 17:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
My question is: Are the charges under Consumables (Rs. 1000/-) and Salvage Value (Rs. 1300/-) unnecessary forced onto my colleague who also have to let go his No Claim Bonus? Is this a ploy by the service centre to make money considering the fact that no such charges are levied if my colleague bears the repair costs? If so, what should he do?

Thanks in advance.
Ask your friend to get this in writing from the insurance surveyor - that he needs to buy the salvage. Else just refuse. They cannot force you.

There was a similar experience posted by a member where he carried this bond paper mentioning the need to buy salvage and asked the surveyor to sign. He refused and changed his stance! Unable to locate the thread now.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 18:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Yesterday I accompanied one of my colleagues (whose vehicle was hit on the front side by someone who was reversing) to service centre of a big auto company. My colleague has Zero depreciation insurance policy for his brand new vehicle from one of the private insurers. The service centre attendant gave the following estimates:

Repairs from own funds (to save on 20% No Claim Bonus):
Parts Cost: Rs. 13000/-
Labor Charges: Rs. 500/-
Paint Charges: Rs. 4000/-
Total: Rs. 17,500/- plus VAT and Service Tax

Repairs through cash less insurance:
Claim Charge: Rs. 1000/- (To be borne by my colleague)
Parts Cost: Rs. 0/- (To be borne by insurance company)
Labor Charges: Rs. 0/- (To be borne by insurance company)
Paint Charges: Rs. 0/- (To be borne by insurance company)
Consumables: Rs. 1500/- (To be borne by my colleague)
Salvage value: Rs. 1300/- (10% of the parts costs, to be borne by my colleague even though he has Zero Dep. insurance)
Total: Rs. 3800/- plus VAT and Service Tax

Needless to say, he told the attendant that he will go with cash less insurance to which the attendant said that he needs to bring the vehicle for surveyor's inspection sometime this week and then have to leave the vehicle there.

My question is: Are the charges under Consumables (Rs. 1500/-) and Salvage Value (Rs. 1300/-) unnecessary forced onto my colleague who also have to let go his No Claim Bonus? Is this a ploy by the service centre to make money considering the fact that no such charges are levied if my colleague bears the repair costs? If so, what should he do?

Thanks in advance.
Hi. From my own experience (with Skoda ASC and Tata AIG), I've never been forced to pay consumables and salvage costs. Salvage sounds nonsense-ical to me. All your friend is supposed to pay is the fixed self-pay component that is defined in his insurance policy. (This is my experience with 3 small claims. One where I've replaced the rear bumper)..

Please probe further before giving in to what the SC asks your friend to do.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote