Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 07:52   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
A few questions on zero dep insurance; apologies if they have been addressed elsewhere.

1. If a car is on zero dep insurance from Day 1 will the zero dep carry on into the third and subsequent years?
2. If there is a claim in any of the years, will zero dep be allowed in the subsequent renewal?
3. In case of a claim on zero dep insurance, will the the no claim bonus (NCB) be set to 0% as well?

I ve been on a 4 year Extended Warranty on my Yeti from the day it was bought.
I ve also bought into the Zero Dep Insurance from Bajaj Allianz right from Day 1.

Each year I have been renewing my Zero Dep Insurance which basically means I pay literally double the Insurance Premium required - because over each year, the actual IDV of the vehicle reduces and the actual Premium itself reduces in proportion. But the cost of the Zero Dep stays pretty much constant.

So far, grace of God I ve not had to claim anything so this, being the 4 year renewal period, I believe the actual premium will go down further but the Zero Dep will still cost the same.

From the end of this year, when the time comes to renew, the 4 Year Manufacturer's Extended Warranty will not apply any longer. I am therefore, going to continue paying the Zero Dep as long as I keep this car, because once the car is out of warranty, I am hoping that Zero Dep, will help to an extent, in case of any issues.

When buying an expensive car, it is worth considering this.

I ve done the same for my folks' car as well believing this method to be worth it.

If anyone has any views I would appreciate them!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 22:25   #227
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 2,978 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I ve been on a 4 year Extended Warranty on my Yeti from the day it was bought.
I ve also bought into the Zero Dep Insurance from Bajaj Allianz right from Day 1.

Each year I have been renewing my Zero Dep Insurance which basically means I pay literally double the Insurance Premium required - because over each year, the actual IDV of the vehicle reduces and the actual Premium itself reduces in proportion. But the cost of the Zero Dep stays pretty much constant.

So far, grace of God I ve not had to claim anything so this, being the 4 year renewal period, I believe the actual premium will go down further but the Zero Dep will still cost the same.

From the end of this year, when the time comes to renew, the 4 Year Manufacturer's Extended Warranty will not apply any longer. I am therefore, going to continue paying the Zero Dep as long as I keep this car, because once the car is out of warranty, I am hoping that Zero Dep, will help to an extent, in case of any issues.

When buying an expensive car, it is worth considering this.

I ve done the same for my folks' car as well believing this method to be worth it.

If anyone has any views I would appreciate them!
I believe zero dep policies cannot be bought vehicles older than 3 years (or maybe 5)

Personally I am not a fan of these zero dep policies. The advantage of these policies is that you get full coverage for replacement parts without applying standard depreciation rate. When the car is in its first year, the depreciation is anyway zero even for normal policy for metal parts. Only for plastic and glass parts 50% depreciation is applied in a normal policy which is not applied in a zero dep. So basically zero dep cover ensures you get full cover for these items only over and above normal cover. Second year onwards the standard depreciation rates are not applied to even metal parts and you get full cover. But you are paying a higher premuim every year as well, which you will continue to do till the fifth year. So you are already paying up in advance to reduce your burden in the case of a contingent event which may or may not happen.

Zero dep policies are good if an inexperienced driver is driving a very expensive to repair kind of car, where things like bumpers and glass are very expensive. With zero dep policies you don't have to shell out anything for bumper damage (which is more likely with inexperienced drivers) whereas with a normal policy you have to shell out 50% cost.

In my case I took a zero dep policy only for the first year for my Laura. Second year onwards I've taken just the normal comprehensive policy.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 08:43   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
1. If a car is on zero dep insurance from Day 1 will the zero dep carry on into the third and subsequent years?
2. If there is a claim in any of the years, will zero dep be allowed in the subsequent renewal?
3. In case of a claim on zero dep insurance, will the the no claim bonus (NCB) be set to 0% as well?
To answer your question serially,
1) Zero dep add on cover has to be purchased every year along with the Insurance renewal. The add on cover is offered for ownership till 5 years as on date by only a few Insurance co and not all. The general cut off period is 3 yrs for offering the add on cover.
2) Subject to Insurance co offering the zero dep add on cover.
3) Yes, NCB will revert to zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But the cost of the Zero Dep stays pretty much constant.
I believe the actual premium will go down further but the Zero Dep will still cost the same.
That should not be the case, since the zero dep add on cover is usually calculated based on the IDV. So as IDV drops, your add on cost should also drop. The calculation depends on the city/region of the car registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I believe zero dep policies cannot be bought vehicles older than 3 years (or maybe 5)
Zero dep policies are good if an inexperienced driver is driving a very expensive to repair kind of car
These days not necessarily. Even an experienced driver can go wrong and end up in big damage and high repair cost. The only drawback of the zero dep add on cover is that it does not cover the consumables used during the repair work. But now a days you get an add on cover for the consumables cost too.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 15:09   #229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 144
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
1) Zero dep add on cover has to be purchased every year along with the Insurance renewal. The add on cover is offered for ownership till 5 years as on date by only a few Insurance co and not all. The general cut off period is 3 yrs for offering the add on cover.

Thanks for your reply, I may be beating a dead horse here, but, suppose I buy zero dep in the first year, and keep renewing it every year, in the 6th year, will I still get zero dep, or will it not be allowed because of the age? I typically end up keeping my cars for at least 10 years, so am concerned about this.
varunsangal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 16:38   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 444
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
1. If a car is on zero dep insurance from Day 1 will the zero dep carry on into the third and subsequent years?
Yes. But it depends on the provider. Most of the providers would do it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
2. If there is a claim in any of the years, will zero dep be allowed in the subsequent renewal?
Ideally yes, but your premium may increase a bit and you would not get any NCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
3. In case of a claim on zero dep insurance, will the the no claim bonus (NCB) be set to 0% as well?
Yes
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 08:21   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
I buy zero dep in the first year, and keep renewing it every year, in the 6th year, will I still get zero dep, or will it not be allowed because of the age?
Depends mainly on the Insurance co. If you renew with the same insurance co and fortunately don't have any claims in the first 5 yrs of ownership, the Insurance co may offer you the cover for the 6th year too. As of now the zero dep add on cover offered by Insurance is for ownership till 5 yrs maximum.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 19:09   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 114
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

I own a Honda Brio VMT 2011 model. From the 2nd year till now I have been on a zero depreciation insurance from ICICI. Never thought I am going to use it.

Last month my cousin had an accident. He was not wearing seat belts so the airbags didn't deploy.

Damage - Windshield, Bonnet, RHS side view mirror, Bonnet, Front bumper, Side fender and front headlights all gone.

Garage's bill was 33k. I got 30k from the insurance company. If it had been a normal insurance then it would have costed me some 18k.

Moreover in case of complete damage or theft they pay you the price at which you bought the car. I think with taxes (not sure though). But in case of normal cars you are going to get way lesser.

But this policy can be bought only for first 5 years and is not applicable after that.

I am not sure but I think you cannot claim zero depreciation twice in a month. This was told to me by the garage owner but cannot confirm it.
Metallicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 08:18   #233
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Moreover in case of complete damage or theft they pay you the price at which you bought the car. I think with taxes (not sure though). But in case of normal cars you are going to get way lesser.
Provided you have bough the Return to Invoice Add on cover when buying/renewing Insurance.

Quote:
But this policy can be bought only for first 5 years and is not applicable after that.
Subject to no claims in the initial 5 yrs of ownership, some Insurance co are known to offer you zero dep add on for an additional year or so.

Quote:
I am not sure but I think you cannot claim zero depreciation twice in a month
Some Insurance co offer zero depreciation claims only twice a year, some offer unlimited zero dep claims. There is no such rule which says zero dep cannot be claimed twice in a month.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 10:17   #234
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 114
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Provided you have bough the Return to Invoice Add on cover when buying/renewing Insurance.

Yes I have return to invoice with zero depreciation.

No Claim Bonus only be allowed provided the policy is renewed with in 90 days of the expiry date of the previous policy.

Avail coverage on replaced parts with zero deduction for depreciation. However this endorsement shall be applicable to the first two (2) claims during the policy period.

These conditions are for ICICI Lombard. We can claim zero depreciation twice only in an year. Other insurers may have different t&c.

Last edited by Metallicar : 10th August 2015 at 10:41.
Metallicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 23:20   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

I have insured my car through Tata AIG 0% depreciation policy (TA01). This is commonly known as bumper-to-bumper. I did not know this and kept telling the insurance agent I want a 0% depreciation policy when he meant the same thing by bumper-to-bumper

The insurance is up for renewal on Sept 25th. Already started receiving calls from Trident Renault asking me to buy Bajaj Allianz as they have a cashless setup with the service center. They are quoting a 15k premium for an IDV on 8L with 0% dep. and roadside assistance. But the fine print of BA says that this roadside assistance is only for 50km radius from our city of residence. Planning to shift from TAIG to BA due to the cashless facility. My 20% NCB will also be transferred
Attached Thumbnails
0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!-capture.jpg  

rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 19:51   #236
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 114
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I have insured my car through Tata AIG 0% depreciation policy (TA01). This is commonly known as bumper-to-bumper. I did not know this and kept telling the insurance agent I want a 0% depreciation policy when he meant the same thing by bumper-to-bumper

The insurance is up for renewal on Sept 25th. Already started receiving calls from Trident Renault asking me to buy Bajaj Allianz as they have a cashless setup with the service center. They are quoting a 15k premium for an IDV on 8L with 0% dep. and roadside assistance. But the fine print of BA says that this roadside assistance is only for 50km radius from our city of residence. Planning to shift from TAIG to BA due to the cashless facility. My 20% NCB will also be transferred
Add return to invoice too. Really helps in case of theft or car damage beyond recovery.
Metallicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 20:16   #237
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Add return to invoice too. Really helps in case of theft or car damage beyond recovery.
I believe this is only for the 1st year of a car.
rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 20:18   #238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 114
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I believe this is only for the 1st year of a car.
No. Nothing like that. I didn't have it in my first year but have been adding it from the 2nd year. My car is in its 4th year now.
Metallicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 20:33   #239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: 0% Depreciation Insurance - It really worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
No. Nothing like that. I didn't have it in my first year but have been adding it from the 2nd year. My car is in its 4th year now.
Does this mean that the IDV of the car is the total cost paid by me during purchase? This would bump up the premium right? As of now I have opted for 8L IDV. In case of total loss or theft I would get 8L right? Or lesser?
rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 20:18   #240
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 114
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

IDV will remain the same as normal insurance. The premium on that will be calculated on IDV. With return to invoice you will get the invoice value of the car which is the ex-showroom price of your car when bought. Also first time registration charges and road tax will be paid to you. Its like paying you enough so that you can buy a brand new car.

Without return to invoice you get IDV which decreases by 20% every year.
Metallicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Zero Depreciation Insurance Promoting Careless Driving? SS-Traveller The Indian Car Scene 39 28th April 2016 14:09
Tata AIG's 0% Depreciation Car Insurance Rohini Indian Car Loans & Insurance 106 8th February 2016 18:55
Anyone working/worked in Manila? kalpeshc Shifting gears 8 10th September 2014 19:34
Change in insurance rules - Depreciation on Paint? columbus Indian Car Loans & Insurance 26 4th February 2014 00:32
GM has re-worked the Aveo gearshift for improved feel. askicode The Indian Car Scene 23 26th July 2007 10:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks