Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th November 2012, 13:43   #241
BHPian

Exclamation re: Design flaws and cost cutting in Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
True. Its our people that bring this upon themselves. Its the mental makeup that needs to change. Who can force the people if they aren't bothered about their own safety?

Agree. Time and again the traffic department has tried, but failed, so miserable has been the response. I mean, how many headless (pun) idiots are the police going to pull over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
It's like with helmets- inspite of there being enough evidence in favor of them and a rule making it illegal to ride without, they haven't managed to make helmets mandatory in Pune!
Actually what I heard is among college students it is more a game (IIRC in Chennai). The idea is to test your guts.
1. Ride a motorbike (preferably the bugger ones) against the flow of traffic, i.e. on the right of an arterial road
2. No helmets.

With people like these, even with strong enforcement, there is little you can do...
adits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 15:13   #242
BHPian

Default re: Design flaws and cost cutting in Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
Talking of design flaws, what about inability of wiper arm to lift up in vw Vento & polo? also notice the huge big center hump on the rear seats of these cars? I can't imagine a 5 passenger sitting in comfort in the rear center for more than 20 mins.
In the Vento/Polo, if you move the wiper stalk up with the ignition off, the wipers move to the service position, in which they can be lifted to clean/replace. I'm not exactly sure of the procedure, but the option is there. Polo owners pls contribute.

As for the rear center seat lump, it is soft enough to not cause discomfort in most cars which have this. It's softer than the rest of the seat so that when you sit on it, it just goes flat. Again, not very sure about this, owners need to confirm.

Totally agree with you about the ORVMs by the way. They should be made mandatory, along with day/night mirrors inside.

Last edited by vivekgk : 19th November 2012 at 15:15.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 15:02   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

While discussing on the placement of indicator/wiper stalks etc., this is one India-specific (or other developing markets) cost-cutting measure I have noticed in C-segment sedans and below no 3-point seat belt for the rear middle seat. AFIAK, its only available from the D1 segment cars (Laura, Jetta, Fluence etc.).

Not sure if its such an expensive addition, or just that the manufacturers are not bothered.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 18:16   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
As for the rear center seat lump, it is soft enough to not cause discomfort in most cars which have this. It's softer than the rest of the seat so that when you sit on it, it just goes flat.
i was referring to centre hump on the rear floor which makes life miserable for middle passenger. seat is flat bench in most Indian cars.
spinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 19:32   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i was referring to centre hump on the rear floor which makes life miserable for middle passenger. seat is flat bench in most Indian cars.
Its not something which is specific to Indian cars right? The said inconvenience is pretty standard in cars sold around the world.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 12:53   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
In the Vento/Polo, if you move the wiper stalk up with the ignition off, the wipers move to the service position, in which they can be lifted to clean/replace. I'm not exactly sure of the procedure, but the option is there. Polo owners pls contribute.

The driver side wiper stalk is placed below the bonnet line so as to make it more aerodynamic & lessen the drag. The way to move it to service position is simple -

1. Switch off the ignition & remove the key
2. Push the wiper stalk to "demist" / single sweep setting
3. The wipers come to rest in the service position & can be easily lifted for cleaning
4. To go back to the original / "rest" position - after switching on the ignition push the wiper stalk to the first / intermittent position. This makes the wiper come back to rest. Then the wiper stalk can be moved back to the base position.
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 13:06   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post

The driver side wiper stalk is placed below the bonnet line so as to make it more aerodynamic & lessen the drag.
thanks , 2 new information learnt today. but why wiper is concealed only on driver side ... Codriver side also needs aerodynamics - that's another point maybe.
spinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 09:45   #248
BHPian

Quote:
thanks , 2 new information learnt today. but why wiper is concealed only on driver side ... Codriver side also needs aerodynamics - that's another point maybe.
I think the mechanism end of both wipers is pretty much on the right side and under the bonnet line, the curvature of the bonnet aids in the easy retrival of the co-driver side wiper.
599gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 17:46   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

In most new cars, the front turn signal lamp or the indicator is mostly housed in close proximity to the powerful headlamp. This makes it very difficult to see them blinking when the headlamps are on at the night. The driver of such a car thinks that he has conveyed the signal to fellow motorists coming towards his car by turning on the turn signal, but the fact is it is hardly visible! I am not sure if that saves too much cost, but IMO, its a design flaw!

Please shoot your opinions too on this matter.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 5th February 2013 at 17:53.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 20:57   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
In most new cars, the front turn signal lamp or the indicator is mostly housed in close proximity to the powerful headlamp. This makes it very difficult to see them blinking when the headlamps are on at the night. The driver of such a car thinks that he has conveyed the signal to fellow motorists coming towards his car by turning on the turn signal, but the fact is it is hardly visible! I am not sure if that saves too much cost, but IMO, its a design flaw!

Please shoot your opinions too on this matter.

Regards.
To be frank, I never had this issue. For the very same reason the indicator bulbs are amber in color helps people notice it from a distance even. I would NOT really call it a design flaw.

But thinking from your point of view, having it in the front in a different position could also provide a better view.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 21:08   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To be frank, I never had this issue. For the very same reason the indicator bulbs are amber in color helps people notice it from a distance even. I would NOT really call it a design flaw.

But thinking from your point of view, having it in the front in a different position could also provide a better view.
I think Saket meant it in a specific case: when the high beams are switched on along with the indicator. This is really a nuisance. I myself have failed to spot such indicators many times. This is true especially cars with indicators are the innermost lights, right next to high beams, such as Indica. Sadly, Indica is mostly used as taxi and most taxi drivers are bad enough not to ever switch to low beams. In cars with separate low and high beam bulbs (Palio comes to mind, as I own one), the indicator light and high beam light are separated by the low beam light. So the oncoming traffic has no problem.

Even I would not call it cost cutting or design flaw. It is more to do with incorrect usage by the drivers.

Perhaps the cars could have gadgets to automatically switch off high beams when indicators are switched on
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 22:11   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

I make it a point to switch to low beam to warn fellow motorists when ever the need to use the indicator arises.

I too feel, it is more visible this way. Design flaw? I am not really sure, but it may be incorporated better.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 23:47   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meili View Post
3) Indicatior and light stalk on the wrong side! With this configuration you would turn the wipeer on with the right hand and the lights with your left. It is not just about being a source of annoyance. The stalks attached to the steering wheel have been lifter off the left hand drive models and fitted onto the Indian cars.

VW Polo
Ford Fiesta

Should consumers pay their hard earned money and produce manufacturers who take their customers for a ride? I believe this sort of cheap tactics of cost cutting should be discouraged by putting the companies out of business.

While I do agree on the objective, but this one quoted above is not true. Most European and American brands are designed this way, whereas the Japs and Koreans the other way, so it's not a cost cutting measure. '

Moreover i wont completely blame the manufacturers, they give what customers want. So if, customers want cheaper version of their european siblings, so be it. If customers are O.K without frills, safety kit, so be it. After all they are here to do business. If tomm there is more awareness among us, the manufacturers would be happy to provide the features and frills at an increased cost or at par with their siblings in Europe and Americas.

I also do not rule out the possibility of unfair competition in our country but that's a different subject altogether.

Thanks
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 08:41   #254
BHPian

The New Gen Swift has serious ergonomic issues - as has been pointed out in other threads, the lower part of the dashboard fouls with the driver's shin whenever the clutch is depressed, especially for tall drivers. Also, the steering wheel does not tilt up sufficiently for tall drivers - it fouls with the driver's knees even at the top most position.
qaqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 08:53   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa
The New Gen Swift has serious ergonomic issues - as has been pointed out in other threads, the lower part of the dashboard fouls with the driver's shin whenever the clutch is depressed, especially for tall drivers. Also, the steering wheel does not tilt up sufficiently for tall drivers - it fouls with the driver's knees even at the top most position.
Yes your absolutely correct. My height is only 5'.8" and I myself face this issue Incase I move the seat a little forward. My knee hits the lower dashboard. This is indeed a serious flaw in the New Gen Swift. I wonder how the design guys can ignore such flaws as this will put off tall buyers from buying the car. Maybe the Japanese designing guys are smaller so on account of this they could have not realized this problem!
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote