Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th December 2008, 18:51   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
...Always put Accord in Body cover too, I saw dogs has cut right portion , but he still had same one with help of tapes.
Do they also tie up the car cover from underneath the body of the car with a lock to prevent people form stealing the cover itself? We had such a neighbour a few years back! And that was for a 10 year "push-start" M800 and this guy was fithy rich with real estate business. Another one of his prized possession was an "ageless" "tilt and hold at 90 degrees for 10 minutes and then kick 50 times-start" Vijay Super scooter which he kept covered even though its seats was fully torn apart.

Those are the same paranoid guys who will have more than 3 locks on their house door in addition to metal grills with thick chains and Godrej lock! They will also have those large wooden locking bars behind the doors from inside.

There are many such interesting characters around us. Feels like writing a book on this topic!
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Why cant people remove the plastic cover on your car's seats??

After having got pissed off on seeing so many new owners doing this, I finally decided to pen out my viewpoints in this topic.

I have seen not one or two, but atleast 20-30 new cars which are like 30-60 days old, but still the owner prefers not to remove the plastic covers on the seat (which was put by the manufacturer)

I do understand manufacturers do put this cover to make sure that the car is spic and span by the time the owner is handed over the car, but why on earth do the new car owners retain these covers for 2-3 months. I am seriously out of answers. Think it practically this car is going to be with you for 5-6 years, what is point of retaining this plastics for one month.

In fact it goes to extent the seat cover gets dirty and leaves marks on the seats when its removed.

Here are few things that I thought might be reason why owner retain them

1. They feel they need to protect the seat for the two months from any dust
2. To make sure when the food spills while traveling in these first two months, they can clean well
3. To brag about the fact that they own a new car. So that on lookers have this look of an awe thinking he bought a new car !!!
4. To make sure there is no oil mark on the headrest (for two months)

Do let me know when you removed the plastics of the seats and what are your views on the topic...

Last edited by xingamazon : 29th May 2010 at 20:31.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

Think of it this way - Why do we get upset when we get our first scratch on our new car?
I mean, we will get hundreds of them later on as it is.

But seriously speaking, there is a thread for the same:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ic-covers.html

Mods, please do the needful and either merge this thread, or lock it.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

10 days down the line
I got rid of plastics from the front two seats and rear seat one's are still on.
Reason,we havent used the rear seats till now,and renovation is going on,and sometimes we carry paint and other stuff,so to prevent seats from getting dirty.They will be gone soon.
But i doubt if i will get rid of plastics from jump seats,as i think they will hardly be ever used,and boot space is only used to carry stuff.

Btw just realised that we had never removed plastics from door pads of our bolero,coz they just blended with the door pads and were a snug fit.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Removed the plastic covers on the seats of my new Civic at the showroom before driving off.

I'm seeing another Civic at our office parking with all the plastic covers on. For more than a month now. It is a self driven car with a lady in the passenger seat at times. The front seats have been adorned with red 'towel type cloth' tied behind the headrest over the plastic !!
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
After having got pissed off on seeing so many new owners doing this, I finally decided to pen out my viewpoints in this topic.
another question is, why are you so pissed off unless you have to sit on the plastic?

Their car, their plastic, their behinds. Give them some personal freedom, will ya?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

At the same time give him the personal freedom to criticize when he sees something stupid. To me it is visual pollution.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

I am not curbing his freedom, I am trying to help him. being pissed off is not a good thing for one's health. This can be a beginning of obsession towards tidiness.

I am on his side.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I am not curbing his freedom, I am trying to help him. being pissed off is not a good thing for one's health. This can be a beginning of obsession towards tidiness.

I am on his side.
+1
Yeah i don't see a reason why he needs to get pissed off with that, Annoyed maybe, but pissed off.
Calm down mate, it might lead to road rage. (just kidding, No offence meant)
On a serious note, Not everyone are rich enough to buy a new car every 3/5 years, for some of them its their dream for such a long time which might have been fulfilled, so they would like to have that new car feel and to to show off their new car to everyone they meet. So maybe they don't take them off.
cadaver_prad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 00:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
+1
Yeah i don't see a reason why he needs to get pissed off with that, Annoyed maybe, but pissed off.
Calm down mate, it might lead to road rage. (just kidding, No offence meant)
On a serious note, Not everyone are rich enough to buy a new car every 3/5 years, for some of them its their dream for such a long time which might have been fulfilled, so they would like to have that new car feel and to to show off their new car to everyone they meet. So maybe they don't take them off.

Well doesnt pissed off and annoyed mean the same in a way, anyway the new owners I meant is the relatives and friends of mine who bought new cars.
they just wont listen when I request them to remove the seat covers and yes I have to travel with them on 150 kms odd distances sitting on plastic.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 00:32   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Confession number one: One day, a few years ago, my wife and I took a cab on quite a long trip out to the North of the city. The plastic was still there on the seat. It was sweaty and disgusting to sit on. We tore it off.

Confession number two: I have "art leather" (read "plastic") covers on my Swift seats, because I know that, after only a few months of driving, the seat would be a mass of salt/perspirations stains; by the time I came to sell the car, it would have looked horrible. In a cooler climate, I wouldn't have bothered. Next time, I'll try to afford leather.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 02:38   #87
Senior - BHPian

I cannot stand those plastic covers so take them off as soon as the delivery is done. However I retain the front seat covers(store them in the boot) for use once again during the first service.

This time around I forgot to keep the Cedia's front seat plastic. Took it for first service last month and was pleasantly surprised when the first thing the dealers technician at the service centre did was to take out a fresh plastic cover and slide it over the driver seat. In fact they were doing it for all owner driven vehicles.

But why people do not remove them still beats me!!

Last edited by khoj : 30th May 2010 at 02:48.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 09:51   #88
Senior - BHPian

i usually keep the ribbons for one day & remove them the next day when the car is being washed.

plastic covers on seats are removed only when installing seat covers.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 12:36   #89
BHPian

Guys, I don't know if this qualifies to be the longest ever seat plastic cover retention record ever.

My TATA Indica DLS, was originally brought in the year 2003 by the first owner. I purchased this car in the year 2008 and the Seat Plastic Covers were still intact!

That is five years of Plastic Covers!

He had put even an blanket over the driver seat plastic to prevent it from getting soiled!

He had maintained it very well with all service records. It had only a small dent on the front fender.

As someone mentioned earlier, people buy cars to sell them, not drive them.

Needless to say, I removed the covers before taking delivery from him.
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 14:24   #90
Senior - BHPian

First thing I did when I bought my brand new car was to remove the plastic covers on the showroom itself. You guys should've seen the look on their faces. Probably for the first time they've seen someone doing that to a new car ;-)
Anyway, this is the reason I don't at all like to sit on some of my friend's new cars. They are very particular about keeping the plastic on and it's uncomfortable like hell. And specially on the first few days it's difficult to convince people to remove the plastic and I never force them to do it. It's their car after all. But after few days if I have to sit on their cars again(to drive or whatever) I make it a point to remove the plastic covers off or else I won't even enter the car. And actually then they'll understand that how uncomfortable it was all these days with the plastic.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote