Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th May 2010, 14:54   #91
BHPian

Default For Those who say this is a desi attitude.

September2005,Muscat.

A young smart newly joined Corporate Sales Executive working for Toyota is about to deliver a Landcruiser to his distinguished Client.
About the client: A wealthy Bedouin farmer. Doesn't speak a word in English. And having a very bad temper.

The client is invited to the Delivery Area that can be compared to the Best 5 Star Hotel's Lobby, The Car is kept Ready at the centre waiting for the Sheik to drive her away.
The excited Customer is invited to take delivery of the car after finishing all documentation. Once he sees the car..his face changes colour. He then lashes out at the poor chap spurting abuses in arabic. Poor chap bears the brunt of the clients Tempest ,without a clue of what went wrong.

His manager rushes to the scene, having heard the loud outrage of the Sheik.

He calls up some one in PDI. Two guys rush to the scene carrying plastic covers. The cars leather seats are then wrapped up. Now the Sheiks Face is Gleaming once again. Hugs the Manager and advices him to get a new Executive.

Few Days Later: The Executive has to Deliver a Prado. This time his Client a American Expat. This time he makes sure none of the Plastic covers are removed. He confidently takes his client to the car. But the reaction of the customer was totally unexpected.
The American:" I expected the car to be ready.Completely ready. Do you expect me to remove the plastic stuff off. Get rid of this stuff at once".
Poor Chap:"Sorry Sir, It will be taken care at once"

Now that is Culture Gap for you.

The poor Executive in the incident is yours truly.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 30th May 2010 at 14:56.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 15:01   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice story, Suresh.

Just goes to show that, however hard you try, you can't please all the customers!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Good one Suresh. It's a simple case of "one man's food...."
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 21:12   #94

I got mine changed in the third day.. as I gt time to put in the new seat cover only on the week end..

and after seeing this thread did checked if the plastics are there on the visor.. its a 2003 Jul vehicle .. and its still there.. on both the visors.. Reason... never used the visor even once and didnt notice this over the entire stretch of 7 yrs
parampath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 00:53   #95
BHPian

Not just the plastic seat covers, I even hate the ill-fitting after market seat covers which some people assume would protect the original fabric seats. If not changing the fabric to leather after-market, I personally don't see a point in putting any additional covers even. The original fabric can be washed to bring them back to original condition at regular intervals unless it gets torn, which is commonly due to cigarette butts but I don't need to worry since I don't smoke.
v.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 02:17   #96
Senior - BHPian

Plastic clad car seats, plastic clad TV remote, ac remote, plastic clad teddy bear shoe piece, and the list goes on. But this has been going on for years.

The newest thing is that people don't remove the ribbon strip from bonnet. and after a few days the ribbon looses colours, but people still keep them on, and it looks disgusting. I wonder why.??
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 02:38   #97
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I kept my ribbon on till I got all the papers in place. Might sound crazy, but the feeling was that I wouldn't get stopped by any cop when they see the ribbon, as they'd know I recently bought it.
The day I got all the paper work finished, it was snip snip time.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Maybe the practise is due to the fact that we stay in a very dust filled environment, due to the weather.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:56   #99
Senior - BHPian

When I booked my car, this was the main instruction to sales executive, to remove all plastics form inside, including the ones on the sun visors. I hate seeing them and sitting on them. I really fail to understand people who sit on those even months after taking delivery.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:10   #100
Team-BHP Support

I just put in new rear seats on my Gypsy. Haven't removed the plastic covers and don't intend to -- main reason being to protect the seats from mud, rain, water, dust etc

Plastic Covers on Seats of New Cars-img0253a.jpg

I agree that it looks horrible & the plastic makes a noisy racket on the roads with the wind trying to tear of the plastic.

So, the plastic stays on till it comes apart on it's own :-)
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

Talking

This is Indian mentality. Of keeping things as new as possible for as long as possible. Part of middle class genetics.

OT: One rather extreme manifestation I saw of this syndrome was in my college days. A guy called got a new PC and guys you wont believe it. He got the whole thing including Monitor wrapped up in plastics so as to achieve as close to laminated effect.
For ventilation holes at appropriate places were punched.

The height was when He refused his roommate to use the PC for programming saying that the programs will use up the system memory.

Moral of the story: We are like this only. Love it or hate it.

Last edited by download2live : 31st May 2010 at 11:24. Reason: typo
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:29   #102
RVD
BHPian

My uncle is in the upper management of a software giant. He bought an OMNI in 1996. It is an OMNI-E and has done genuine 11000 on the ODO. The car still has all the plastics in place, all be it in a very tattered state. Just goes to show that it is not just the "Middle class" mentality.
RVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:32   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
This is Indian mentality. Of keeping things as new as possible for as long as possible. Part of middle class genetics.

OT: One rather extreme manifestation I saw of this syndrome was in my college days. A guy called got a new PC and guys you wont believe it. He got the whole thing including Monitor wrapped up in plastics so as to achieve as close to laminated effect.
For ventilation holes at appropriate places were punched.

The height was when He refused his roommate to use the PC for programming saying that the programs will use up the system memory.

Moral of the story: We are like this only. Love it or hate it.
Good. I thought you are about to say that he didn't even remove it from cardboard cartons, but punched hole in them for screen and cables! How about buying "stylish" mobile phones and then keeping it inside a dirty plastic pouch with a transparent "window"? Have seen may iphone users dong the same and then complaining that the touch sensitive screen is not working properly with the plastics on it.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:04   #104
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I just got reminded of one thing, not sure how many of the people in Kodai have gone for a cycle ride along the lake side. these guys let out old cycle but still they have the plastic and the paper wrappings on them. They are not the ones that comes from the manufacturer but they are added later by the cycle owners. This is to create an impression that the cycle is new as all the potential customer look for new cycles.

With regard to the car, what I have felt is in beige interior cars, in case if there are any damage in the plastic that area alone gets dirty and looks brown . And once the whole plastic is removed only this area show up as dark brown. This is worse than whole seat looking dirty.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:13   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

I know only too well the problems of dust here --- but I know the risks of fire too, and I have always been horrified at the TVs and computer monitors covered in cloth.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote