Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st May 2010, 17:23   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
This is Indian mentality. Of keeping things as new as possible for as long as possible. Part of middle class genetics.
More of an American phenomenon to start with. You will be surprised as to the number of households in small town America who have their sofas covered in plastic. I was told it used to be a rage in the 70s and 80s but is now on the wane. However I did not see any car seats in plastic even new ones inside the showrooms were bereft of any except for those standing in the lots.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 14:44   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Them plastic covers are removed from all my cars prior to delivery.

Tell you what's funnier though : Some people buy the top-end variant, and then get seat covers fitted. Reason : To preserve the leather and keep it from wear & tear.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 14:48   #108
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd June 2010 at 17:03.
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st June 2010, 16:28   #109
BHPian

GTO is right, Even I've seen the local politicos types fitting White towel type seat covers on top of their leather seats in Delhi. Examples- Endeavours, Fortuners, and to top it all, A brand new Toyota Landcruiser , in my neighborhood.

I hate people who let the plastics remain on the seats even after the bumpers have been scratched and all.

I have always made it a point to get the plastics removed from the car , at the time of delivery only.

Hell, I know a vendor of mine who's driving a year old Hyundai Verna and is yet to remove even the cellophane safety sticker from the instrument cluster and the stereo display.

What people are thinking is beyond me.
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 16:45   #110
BHPian

People may have their own reasons for keeping the plastic cover on - why do we have to reason why?
Does the presence of plastic on somebody else's car make our roads more dangerous (by distracting us)?
gopal.prabhu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:51   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

At least a towel is comfortable, unlike plastic.

Real leather is tempting... but doesn't it get stained/damaged by sweat?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:47   #112
BHPian

For me, I just about wait till the sunfilm installation/mandatory temple visit for the first pooja etc is over...pronto all plastics are removed post that. I remove the plastics myself not leaving even a shred behind..since sometimes tearing off plastics recklessly, especially from seats/neckrest etc may cause damage and still leave bits & pieces behind.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 19:04   #113
BHPian

Have you had someone feed their baby in your car. If you did, you'd keep the plastic covers on.

In my new WagonR I ripped them off after 2 weeks. And within a month I got transferred. After a year I came back and found out that the seats had become real dusty.

So in my Figo, I took the middle path approach and have retained the plastic sheets on the rear seats simply because they are rarely used. And if the baby needs to be fed, it is done in the back seat. Of course the baby is a little rascal and rips out the plastic when she gets the chance. To stick them back with cellotape would be overkill, so I left it as it is.

My Aunt is much worse - she hung a teddy bear from the rearview mirror AND that poor bear was still in its plastic packaging.

Its an Indian thing. And rightly so because India is a dusty place. You got to protect the remotes, sofas, tables and what not from that deadly dust.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 19:47   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

--- your aunt's teddy bear!

About that dust though, and the other pollution, sometimes I think I should live in a plastic bag. From other experiences (link) it looks like I should have kept my whole car in a plastic bag!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 20:11   #115
BHPian

Plastics after some days it starts to become brittle due to weathering in cars. Any cuts in it, dust or moisture get in and sticks to the fabric. Owners will find hard time to remove the stains made by these. They are not good for skin particularly in hot weather. We may get rashes.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 20:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
At least a towel is comfortable, unlike plastic.
Real leather is tempting... but doesn't it get stained/damaged by sweat?
The towel concept is pretty popular among our politicians and something that I have seen being practiced religiously in Kerala(at-least with the taxis). During my last trip we had hired an innova for my folks to travel to Calicut from Wayand.

Innova arrived and I see some good art leather seat cover work done. Pretty neatly done up and to top it up I see white towels wrapped around the seats. Out of curiosity I asked the driver why the white towels. Reply was " to make sure passengers don't dirty the leather seat covers ".

If you don't wanna to display them why get it installed in the 1st place .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:15   #117
BHPian

Be glad that dealers don't sell the ENTIRE vehicle in a big plastic cover.
Try to imagine if that was the case.

Our roads will be full of zooming plastic covers on wheels.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:20   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

We always have. Picked up a car today. Insisted that the 'burqa' must be removed before I drive it out.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:42   #119
BHPian

I took a new car last month and before it was handed over I requested them to remove the plastic seat cover. They obliged immediately. The car also had a blue ribbon from front to back, and when I asked them to be removed, they literally pleaded me not to, and requested me to keep it for at least the trip to home so that the "folks at home will be happy to see the new car driven in". This time I gave in.

And then they promptly hung a proper garland on the front grille as well.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:23   #120
BHPian

Our forefathers were very wise. They used color coding and symbology long before the terms were coined.

-Bride and Groom wore garlands so that you could know who's getting married.
-Marriage hall entrance is decked with the plantain trees so that you know which house the marriage is happening.
-Invitation envelope has the red and yellow color coding on the corners to know that its an auspicious function.
-Before the thali is tied, the drummers(melam) and nadaswaram guys increase their pitch so that anyone with an evil intent of stopping the marriage has their voice drowned in the ensuing noise.

And so on and so forth............... .

So likewise, the garland and ribbon are there to let the other motorists know that its a new car. And that they should give way atleast for the first few days, so that there is no risk of it getting scratched.

Also its there for people to come forward and congratulate you. Your neighbour who never spoke to you could come and make friends with you. The ribbon is there to let him know its a new car and not a borrowed car.

You just have to know these symbols to appreciate the meaning.

I'm no Dan Brown, but I love noticing all these stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
they literally pleaded me not to, and requested me to keep it for at least the trip to home so that the "folks at home will be happy to see the new car driven in". This time I gave in.

And then they promptly hung a proper garland on the front grille as well.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote