Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 04:46   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 24
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Landrover India has launched the new look 2011 Freelander 2 in India, As the Sales People from Dada Motors Ludhiana told me It will be launched in two trims starting at Rs 34.94 lakh With Touch screen GPS as a new added Feature and Adaptive Xenons with Headlamp Washers, Sunroof & a Panoramic roof, Cruise Control, Six Speed Automatic, Hill Descent Control, 2.o Litre diesel with 120 PS and 420 NM of Torque, It comes as a CKD and all news of it being launched as an X1 competitor at 24 lakh does not seem to be correct.

It comes with Driver and Passenger front and side Airbags and an additional knee airbag for the driver. Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), And a cool feature like Windows come up/ down and Heated Side view mirrors roll in/ out with the remote, Electronic seats for Passenger and Driver. 17" Inch Alloys. It has a huge boot but It seats only five.

It is a full time 4wd but adjusts the power divide between the front and rear as per the Terrain Response System, A standard Jog Dial is available to Switch the driving mode between 4 standard settings General Driving, Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud & Ruts & Sand.

Although there is no height adjust or suspension settings.

Attached are the New and Old Pictures. Can this be a threat to Montero and Potential BMW X1 top end buyers. More specs here

It has all the features one expects in a Soft roader Pseudo SUV, If Landrover India can revise its price to Around 27 Lakhs, We have a sure winner at hand, Although After sales Maintenance costs would not be as convenient as the Japs and would be more towards the German side. Also some horror stories from the free lander forums in UK and Europe will scare some Buyers, What say friends is it a sensible buy? It surely has some road presence!
Attached Images
  
filmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 08:50   #2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

I have driven this car, It is not only good on-road but is very capable off-road as well.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 09:49   #3
BHPian
 
Yeldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 719
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

The Freelander 2 now comes with two variants of the same 2.2 Diesel- one with 150 and the other with 190PS respectively. Both are mated to 6 speed automatic gearboxes. The higher spec HSE version now seems to be really upmarket with lots of features. It now have wheels similar to those on the first pre- facelift Range Rover Sport.

Last edited by Yeldo : 27th April 2011 at 09:51.
Yeldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:32   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,453
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Wow...190PS.
That settles the most important downside of this otherwise fabulous car.
I remember the comparison report of Freelander 2 versus Q5, where Q5 outshined in accelration and on-road department.


There was no doubt about Freelander's off road abilities and for me Freelander looks much better than Q5. And now we have a real engine.

Waiting for a test drive report on this new engine and gearbox stuff...

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

I doubt this facelift or added features will do much. The besides the grill there isn't much change. I find the side profile and rear of the car quite quirky.

The Q5 seems like a better bet for a similar price, commands better brand value too.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:56   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,929 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Even after looking at both the pictures several times, i could not make out which one is the facelifted version. The only changes i could spot were in grille and foglamps. Seriously i cannot tell the old one from the new one, unless they are parked side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow...190PS.
That settles the most important downside of this otherwise fabulous car.
I remember the comparison report of Freelander 2 versus Q5, where Q5 outshined in accelration and on-road department.

There was no doubt about Freelander's off road abilities and for me Freelander looks much better than Q5.
The Freelander feels generations older than the Audi Q5. The Interiors feel atleast a decade old in comparison to the Q5. Do not know much about the newer 190hp engine but the previous car was not a match to the Q5's performance.

Now even Audi has plonked a smaller 2.0 TDI in the Q5 to make it cheaper.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th April 2011 at 11:59.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 12:32   #7
BHPian
 
Yeldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 719
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Even after looking at both the pictures several times, i could not make out which one is the facelifted version. The only changes i could spot were in grille and foglamps. Seriously i cannot tell the old one from the new one, unless they are parked side by side.
Cannot blame you. Very difficult indeed. The facelifted version now looks similar to the Discovery. Its somewhat odd and quirky front grille has given way to a more flush fitting Disco type one. And the lower spec version I hear comes with black and not chrome plated grille. Not entirely sure though.
Yeldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 12:59   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Freelander feels generations older than the Audi Q5. The Interiors feel atleast a decade old in comparison to the Q5. Do not know much about the newer 190hp engine but the previous car was not a match to the Q5's performance.

Now even Audi has plonked a smaller 2.0 TDI in the Q5 to make it cheaper.

I think you never drove a Freelander and a Q5 off road.

Off-Road, the Freelander 2 beats any other SUV of its size. That was the freelander's USP and till date nobody (similar sized SUV) has been able to take it away from them.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 27th April 2011 at 13:03.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 13:27   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,929 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I think you never drove a Freelander and a Q5 off road.

Off-Road, the Freelander 2 beats any other SUV of its size. That was the freelander's USP and till date nobody (similar sized SUV) has been able to take it away from them.
Q5 is not an offroader. Just because Freelander is a better offroader does not necesarily make it a better vehicle. I have not driven the Freelander but i sat in it a few months back(LR showroom delhi, while TDing the XF), the interiors are just disappointing for a vehicle of this price.

For a buyer of this segment, badge value, luxury feel, on road performance and overall feel good factor is more important than just the off-roading ability. How many SUV owner's buy their SUVs for offroading?

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th April 2011 at 13:29.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 13:31   #10
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
For a buyer of this segment, badge value, luxury feel, on road performance and overall feel good factor is more important than just the off-roading ability.
Actually you are right. In India it certainly is. But in the UK or other countries people buy the Freelander 2 only for its off road abilities and compact size and the Land Rover Badge.

Btw did you sit in the freelander with that cheap fake wood inserts? I hate wood inserts in all cars.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 13:47   #11
BHPian
 
AltoHoncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 581
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Actually you are right. In India it certainly is. But in the UK or other countries people buy the Freelander 2 only for its off road abilities and compact size and the Land Rover Badge.

Btw did you sit in the freelander with that cheap fake wood inserts? I hate wood inserts in all cars.
Off-road abilities !!... It is classified as a soft roader, at the most participating in events like cougar dash etc, having an all time 4WD or hill descent control doesnt mean it is into the 'offroading' world or 'offroad-able', seasoned ones like Defender / Disco / RR are meant for the task and not a teenage LR.

Compact size !!... I havent been to UK though but I can certainly tell that it is in no means a compact vehicle, compared to a Q7 or XC90 or a Tacoma / Avalanche / Hilux, it is surely compact.

LR Badge !!... you're spot-on on that part
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 13:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,692
Thanked: 3,865 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Hard to spot any difference.

Is the Freelander 2 a 7-seater?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 13:56   #13
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Off-road abilities !!... It is classified as a soft roader, at the most participating in events like cougar dash etc, having an all time 4WD or hill descent control doesnt mean it is into the 'offroading' world or 'offroad-able', seasoned ones like Defender / Disco / RR are meant for the task and not a teenage LR.

Compact size !!... I havent been to UK though but I can certainly tell that it is in no means a compact vehicle, compared to a Q7 or XC90 or a Tacoma / Avalanche / Hilux, it is surely compact.

LR Badge !!... you're spot-on on that part
I do not mean a hardcore off roader, I meant a capable off roader. And compared to a RR, it is compact.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 14:31   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,174
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

The Freelander is quite a capable off roader especially next to the mummy wagons pushed out by other mainstream carmakers. And just because it is good offroading does not mean it is not capable on road, it is. The only issue you will notice is that the steering wont give you much feedback.

The biggest issue with the car I've learnt is the fuel efficiency and price. Land Rovers dont come cheap but its running costs are heavy on the wallet as well. They have a two year service package in the Uk, not sure about India though.

But if youre just in for the badge and like chrome, bling and all that, will not be going off road, the X3 or Q5 are better alternatives.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 14:44   #15
BHPian
 
AltoHoncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 581
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Land Rover Freelander2 2011 New Look Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
They have a two year service package in the Uk, not sure about India though.
Here in India it doesnt come with the service package you've mentioned. I am not sure if this is subject to the model but for LR FL it is not there.
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover Freelander2 - The first on the forum Ricky_63 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 82 2nd March 2016 23:19
Land Rover Freelander2 - Power steering issue, exorbitant repair costs! diliprayar Technical Stuff 10 23rd February 2015 01:41
Land Rover Unveil 2010 Range Rover Sport with all-new 510hp V8 Engine hanmust The International Automotive Scene 2 8th April 2009 20:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks