Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th May 2011, 00:40   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop: Fiat Linea F/L, beige-ified punto on the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
While I agree Punto is by no means a perfect hatchback, it doesn't fall in the category you are trying to put it into. You compare a 5L hatchback to a 10L sedan and safely conclude that it is at the bottom of your list. Some of your comments such as '' I've seen used in an Indica, the door panels felt poorly put together and closed like a taxi" are too far fetched.

How many hatchbacks do you think are designed on Indian user's point of view? Indica, Figo? Yes, but what else?
While researching for my 1st car and a 2nd car for my wife, I'd test driven a no.of cars. Maybe I've not spent enough time in all of them but in my recollection, the dash material used in the punto is very poor for a B-segment car (I think I felt the same way about the alto 800 too. I did not test drive the nano so I can't comment). Even for a 5L car, I was thinking, how could they do this to an enthusiast car? Isn't this a B-segment hatch? Shouldn't the material at least match the quality used in the i10, i20 or even the Figo?
W.r.t comparing it to a 10L sedan, I'm not sure that's the problem. Maybe things like turning radius are unfair as I've always known Honda cars to have a very good turning radius but most of the other issues I've pointed out are with the car itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
You have every right to say a car is not worth its money, but not with crude justifications. Would you agree if I compare the City with say a Laura and conclude that City is built like a tin while Laura as a tank?
I did not drive the Laura as I wanted to stay clear of Skoda for their reported A.S.S issues. The City does feel very light and even I sometimes feel like it's built like a tin can . I really believe it should come with more electrical gizmos for the price but I'm happy with the interior space, ergonomics and other aspects of the car.
sydras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 15:15   #77
BHPian

Nice to know that Fiat is putting up some efforts to improve its produts.
I am a Fiat fan..and that's the reason i brought a Punto.
No complaints yet..there were a few issues about the interior plastic fitting..and it was immediately resolved and replaced..till now, have never experieced any problems with the way the customers are treated at TATA Showroom..(may be it was in earlier days) I believe the service is OK. I dont know why people complaint so much about Fiat.

And as mentioned in the thread, Lots of us simply complain about it without getting much involved into it...i think that is the reason why Fiat has such a bad image..it is not TRUE..
I have been in other cars..they have their own strength and weakness..I felt like i am sitting in a tin box when cosed the door in one of my friends Dzire..I never complain that Dezire is bad..
And some one said that Fiat has not good models in the begining of this thread..for you information Fiat groups owns...Alfa Romeo, Lancia, maserati,...and the list is so long I am surprized...
Fiat should try to give more options to customers with more variants..which other competitors are doing.
I could not stop giving my comments after reading so much about Fiat in this thread..
sad:) is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 15:53   #78
Senior - BHPian

Guys I own a Getz Prime but I really had my eyes on Punto 1.4 all along. Personally, Punto is one of those hatches which you can either Hate or Drool about but just can't ignore.
Everything changed the moment I actually drove the Car. On paper, its one of the longest and the most powerful hatches but man in flesh its quite the opposite. I felt that Santro was more spacious inside and surely more powerful (Peppiness).

Ever since I have been thinking from a Fiat Engineer's point of view. If I had my way, I would probably rework on the ergonomics and provide bit more space for the passengers inside. But more importantly, I would just retain 3 engines for both Punto and Linea:
- 1.3 Ltr T Jet (detuned 1.4Ltr Tjet Block) under Punto & Linea Petrols
- 1.4 Ltr MJD on Punto and base Linea
- 1.5 Ltr MJD on Linea Mid to Top Variant DSL versions

I don't know how feasable these blocks would be for FIAT to come up with or how much of a cost cutting it will blow up, but "PERSONALLY" I feel this should be sufficient to attract customers. More so, I believe its easier to train the *** staff with similar engines and mechanics.

P.S - Im only expressing my thoughts and in no way proposing any ideas through my post.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 16:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This inside info has been provided by a staunch supporter of team bhp, who prefers to remain anonymous. Thank you Mr. A, I owe you a treat soon.
  • Fiat plans to introduce a new improved avatar of linea with some mid cycle cosmetic nip and tuck and improved interior trim with some changes by diwali. This is a top secret project ongoing at Fiat India in order to boost linea sales. NO INFORMATION on anything related to mechatronics.
  • The punto will finally get beige and black interiors (like the one in linea) within 3-4 months. The dynamic model will gain the integrated stereo, lose the rear power windows. Again, NO INFORMATION on anything related to mechatronics.
@Sidindica - Diwali's a fortnight or so away. Any further updates on the Linea / Punto that you can get out of Mr A.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 16:28   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
On paper, its one of the longest and the most powerful hatches but man in flesh its quite the opposite. I felt that Santro was more spacious inside and surely more powerful (Peppiness).
The petrol Punto is known to be quite underpowered. If you buy a Punto, it has to be Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I would just retain 3 engines for both Punto and Linea:
- 1.3 Ltr T Jet (detuned 1.4Ltr Tjet Block) under Punto & Linea Petrols
- 1.4 Ltr MJD on Punto and base Linea
- 1.5 Ltr MJD on Linea Mid to Top Variant DSL versions
Just a small correction on these options you provided.

1.3L T-Jet will not help Punto in anyway. For getting a tax benefit, they can re-size 1.4 T-Jet to 1.2T-Jet [if possible] and it should still make decent power.

I dont think 1.4L or 1.5L MJDs are available unless re-sized on capacity, would rather want 1.3L FGT & VGT like now on Punto & 1.3 VGT on lase Linea & 1.6L MJD on mid & high end Linea.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 16:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

For petrol, I think the both Punto and Linea should get the 1.4 T-Jet as standard. the T-Jet and the 1.4 NA petrol engine have similar FE figures anyways. Most Punto owners are enthusiasts, anyways, so maintaining the turbo should not be a problem.

For diesel, I think the Punto should get the 1.3 MJD VGT 90 HP (with better gearing in 1st and 2nd) and the Linea should get the 1.6 MJD 120 HP (with good gearing, hopefully).

These choices will keep both these cars ahead or within the pack as far as engines are concerned.

Enthusiast proposes, Manufacturer disposes.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 17:11   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
For petrol, I think the both Punto and Linea should get the 1.4 T-Jet as standard. the T-Jet and the 1.4 NA petrol engine have similar FE figures anyways. Most Punto owners are enthusiasts, anyways, so maintaining the turbo should not be a problem.

For diesel, I think the Punto should get the 1.3 MJD VGT 90 HP (with better gearing in 1st and 2nd) and the Linea should get the 1.6 MJD 120 HP (with good gearing, hopefully).

These choices will keep both these cars ahead or within the pack as far as engines are concerned.

Enthusiast proposes, Manufacturer disposes.
+ 1. Now FIAT should also ensure that the GC is increased on the Linea. It is a deal breaker for a lot of prospective customers at least in Bangalore.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 28th September 2011 at 17:12.
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 10:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The petrol Punto is known to be quite underpowered. If you buy a Punto, it has to be Diesel.

Just a small correction on these options you provided.

1.3L T-Jet will not help Punto in anyway. For getting a tax benefit, they can re-size 1.4 T-Jet to 1.2T-Jet [if possible] and it should still make decent power.

I dont think 1.4L or 1.5L MJDs are available unless re-sized on capacity, would rather want 1.3L FGT & VGT like now on Punto & 1.3 VGT on lase Linea & 1.6L MJD on mid & high end Linea.
+1 swiftnfurious. I was actually thinking about Diesel variant when I was typing in the Petrol !!

I will take it boy.

- A 1.2 T Jet & 1.4 Tjet for Punto and Linea petrol Respectively.

- A 1.3 MJD with VGT & 1.6 MJD for Punto & Linea Diesel Respectively.

Woah man, if Dreams could drive us Petro-heads, this would surely be it I Guess!!
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 00:16   #84
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have always loved the Linea for its looks and just the way it feels plush. I had recently been to one of the Tata-Fiat show rooms near my House at Bangalore and was tempted to do a TD. The diesel engine is smooth, a little noisy and does not have that punch due to its sheer weight. And the turning radius is just ridiculous. Anyway, I was just checking casually with the sales rep and wanted to know if they would give me a good deal. They then offered me 5.15 lakhs for my 3 year 46k run Dzire VDI and also a 35k discount on the Emotion variant. The OTR of the Emotion variant is about 10 lakhs and I need to pay a difference of 4.3 lakhs in case I decide to take the deal. But I'm still contemplating as I have just spent about 35k on my dzire{ new michelin tyres + new battery}. The Linea is not something that I really need right now, but on the other hand I felt that the dzire's re-sale might crash once the new dzire is launched, so it might be better to switch cars now.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote