Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th September 2011, 10:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Is it easily possible to remove (rob) fuel from any Modern 4 Wheeler?

First one is most easy form. Any one open the fuel lid and take the fuel out. Yes, for Skoda they have locking system which is attached to central locking. when unlocked the doors, fuel lid can be opened.
contactme27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 10:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is it easily possible to remove (rob) fuel from any Modern 4 Wheeler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post

Two ways to get to the fuel are to either: (a) break open the fuel tank lid cover, then unscrew the fuel lid and pump out the fuel, or (b) break into the vehicle and use the 'remote' fuel lid opener... not that I speak from experience :-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
First one is most easy form. Any one open the fuel lid and take the fuel out. Yes, for Skoda they have locking system which is attached to central locking. when unlocked the doors, fuel lid can be opened.

I do not think in modern vehicles it is possible to steal fuel from fuel lid. Correct me if I am wrong, because the plumbing to the fuel tank is a bit too complicated to steal the fuel by inserting a tube and removing the fuel.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 10:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I want to mention that the area around our office is not that safe. Many thefts have been carried out in past and Our office does not have compound to park.
Since you have mentioned that the area is not safe, and there is no compound either, why do you want to park the vehicle there ? In this situation, you should look at more than just diesel.

The Sumo belongs to some one else, so let him take it with him at night. He too will be more comfortable, and there is less risk on you.

Work it out with him that he will be there at agreed times in the morning or night, as required.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 10:45   #34
BHPian

It is now much easier with the modern 4 wheelers.

The electrical fuel pump that was introduced in the 90's made this easy for any driver to switch the key on and the pump starts, i understand you can get up to 5-10 litres in a matter of minutes
kaushikkrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 15:09   #35

Default Re: Petrol, diesel theft by chauffeurs in Mumbai!

Just became a victim of this. Left my wagonr in car parking on street on Vikhroli Hiranandani Link road (this place is opp Godrej Compund Gate no2 and at Vikhroli bust depot) -- Lot of cars are parked there.

When I had parked the car in the morning the fuel gauge showed fuel at a little less than full tank. When i returned in the evening the meter showed less than half tank. Almost 10-15 ltrs of petrol was stolen.

On my way back to home, whole time I was worrying that maybe there is a leak in my car - even showed it to couple of mechanics - one of them said that he said there petrol leak is possible from injector or maybe under the car. This person was a little drunk so I decided to show another one -- he properly checked my car and said there is no leakage.

So still wondering what had happened went to sleep after reaching home.

Next day when I went to office and was parking in the same area, a couple of drivers came to me and said -- "Saab kidhar rehta ho din bhar, kal aapki gaadi se koi scooter lekar petrol chori kar raha tha."

I said "Gaadi lock thi lekin.." The other guy said "Woh log nikaal lete hai gaadi ke niche se pipe laga kar"

I have been traveling by train - but sprained my leg so from last 3-4 days have been driving down - guess its back to train time for me
hemanshughia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 18:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanshughia View Post
When I had parked the car in the morning the fuel gauge showed fuel at a little less than full tank. When i returned in the evening the meter showed less than half tank. Almost 10-15 ltrs of petrol was stolen.
Does your wagon R come with the "Advance Fuel Gauge" which shows the amount of petrol left in the tank even after the key is removed?

These silly instrument clusters from Pricol display fuel reading even when the key is removed. This makes it easy for thieves to locate the cars with a high enough amount of fuel in the tank, simply by peeping in through the driver's side window.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 18:39   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
How do taxi companies keep track of fuel pilferage?

Guess it is to do with keeping track of how many kms the car is used and the fuel used, knowing the FE of the car.

I vaguely recollect that in the old days, some elders keeping a notebook in the car. A logbook about where all the car has traveled and how much fuel has been filled. Though that may help a lot in curbing the problem, it may be quite a task to get today's chauffeurs to follow this system.
today's fleet cab companies are very smart. The cab company which my office tied up uses logans/indigos/dezires for pickup drops (all deisel versions). Each driver has a expected fuel economy target with him (between 15kmpl-17kmpl) and each car is fitted with gprs/gps. If the route for the pickup/drop exceeds whats calculated by 2kms the driver is questioned. If he decides to pickup passengers on the way for a quick buck.. his interim stops are monitored and questioned. Any economy lower than selected target comes out of the drivers pocket.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 18:52   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Does your wagon R come with the "Advance Fuel Gauge" which shows the amount of petrol left in the tank even after the key is removed?
No, when I switch off the gauge is back to E (Empty) -

Today after lunch I decided to take a round of that area to see what was going on and did find 2 men (maybe in 40s) lurking around that place. One was cleaning his tempo - tried to peep in as to what was there and as it turned out there were atleast 20-25 car batteries in there.

I fully suspect that these are the guys.

However, decided not to pursue the matter further - one of my colleagues told me that in that area there have been lots if incidents of stealing stuff from cars -
hemanshughia is offline   Reply With Quote