Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2011, 20:18   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
My expected delivery time is MAY2012
Right now i am driving Toyota Innova 2.0 V (done 110000) is very good vehicle indeed.
Six months waiting for the new Fortuner which is not yet launched? Don't you think thats on the higher side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Toyota were to improve the brakes and the performance of the fortuner! I find the brakes to be quite spongy and the performance does not at all feel like a 3 liter engine.
When we did multiple test drives on Fortuner we found the brakes to be sufficient and the engine power to be the best among its competitors.

Fortuner is not a perfect product by any means and there are surely areas in which it can improve, but we found it to be the best amongst its similar priced, similar space, similar ruggedness competitors.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 20:27   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Would not the new Fortuner start deliveries before May? If the car is launched in Auto Expo in Jan, is it going to take time till May for deliveries?

You might need to explain these better. From what I have read on the forum, the brakes were updated with a larger disc in the front and have been remarked as quite adequate by almost all owners. And regarding performance, the car has mighty torque from 1600 rpm or so, reaches to about 170 kmph without any fuss and also has a 12.5 seconds to the ton timing which is quite good by current SUV standards [C'mon it's better than some hatches and sedans (including petrol) as well].

Would you mind explaining these concerns a little more in detail so that we can understand the points well ?
I kind of agree with the points made with Fortuner. The new brakes, are still just 'adequate' and that's not good enough for something of such a price. I tried this on a friend's Fortuner. But maybe powerful brakes for such a top heavy car may not be good in a way.
And I guess it's still not as refined or comfortable as the Innova. As my friend keeps saying, that unless the car is laden with luggage or people in the back seat, it's not comfortable as it could have been.
Old 21st November 2011, 22:03   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
The new brakes, are still just 'adequate' and that's not good enough for something of such a price.
What I tried to understand from the previous post is, whether the brakes are adequate to stop the car without any drama, price factor NOT taken into account. I agree quite well that "for the price of Fortuner" rear drum is a cheap gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
And I guess it's still not as refined or comfortable as the Innova. As my friend keeps saying, that unless the car is laden with luggage or people in the back seat, it's not comfortable as it could have been.
Agree with this point as well, but please remember that the person brought up issues regarding "performance" & "brakes". He never commented about the "comfort" or ride quality. Or did I blindly took it as "engine performance" when he mentioned "performance" ?
Old 21st November 2011, 22:13   #259
BHPian

Quote:
What I tried to understand from the previous post is, whether the brakes are adequate to stop the car without any drama, price factor NOT taken into account. I agree quite well that "for the price of Fortuner" rear drum is a cheap gimmick.

Agree with this point as well, but please remember that the person brought up issues regarding "performance" & "brakes". He never commented about the "comfort" or ride quality. Or did I blindly took it as "engine performance" when he mentioned "performance" ?
. I was trying to emphasize the statement 'truck on 4 wheels' which I feel should factor brakes, performance AND comfort/refinement.
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:51   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

Would not the new Fortuner start deliveries before May? If the car is launched in Auto Expo in Jan, is it going to take time till May for deliveries?
Detailed Information is coming to dealerships 3rd week of may. Bookings and deliveries to start 2nd week of jan. this is what I heard from my dealership. Of course unofficial bookings have started long back
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:11   #261
Senior - BHPian

One needs to change one's driving style when driving a tall, 2 ton, body on frame vehicle such as the Fortuner.

Brakes are adequate - OK. Could have been better. But perfectly manageable.

I never have felt the need for more power - for overtaking or for cruising. In fact, I get impatient when on steep hill roads (e.g. Kalhatti) because of all the slowcoaches huffing and puffing and blocking my way :-). One just needs to drive in the 1400 - 3300 RPM range - peak torque range. At 3000 RPM the Fortuner is touching 140 kmph. And probably touching 150-160 kmph at 3300 RPM. That is adequate speed for me in India even on the best of roads.

@ Nitin: The Fortuner was conceived as a tough workhorse SUV for emerging markets. It was not conceived as a luxury SUV. It is the pricing/auto market dynamics in India that makes the Fortuner a D segment/luxury segment vehicle - it was never supposed to be one. And so perceptions/expectations clash with reality.

My wish lists include better ride quality and slightly better brakes. And black trim/ leather seats and a good ICE HU.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 22nd November 2011 at 10:19.
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:09   #262
Senior - BHPian

WOW... looks like I'm creating a fight....

What I meant to say was the brakes and performance is not as adequate as would be expected of a 26 lac car. Its totally acceptable for an Innova as its more of a MUV. However, a fortuner, being an SUV should be more sporty.

I do agree the vehicle speed can reach 170kph (based on personal experience), however, to reach that speed you need to get the acceleration, which is where the vehicle behaves sluggish. You dont feel like driving an expensive SUV. If you take a look at other vehicles with a 3 liter engine, they produce more torque and power. The sudden acceleration feel is absent.

As for the braking, you press the brake and the vehicle slows down, but you can go on pressing & pumping the pedal and the braking continues. Such brakes are ancient.

I would also recommend a smoother power steering.
nitinbose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 01:28   #263
BHPian

It seems that the launch is really close , the dealer in Mysore was ready to accept bookings and convert it to the new model . In fact he was ready to put this in writing as well . Will wait for the official launch and then take a call . Anyway iam back to India only around end of May next year :( .
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:57   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
It seems that the launch is really close , the dealer in Mysore was ready to accept bookings and convert it to the new model . In fact he was ready to put this in writing as well . Will wait for the official launch and then take a call . Anyway iam back to India only around end of May next year :( .
What is the wait period they are quoting? If it's 3-4 months, I suggest you make the booking and cancel it later, if you don't like. And I am sure there is NOT much change mechanically to trigger any dislike.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:19   #265
BHPian

Quote:
What is the wait period they are quoting? If it's 3-4 months, I suggest you make the booking and cancel it later, if you don't like. And I am sure there is NOT much change mechanically to trigger any dislike.
waiting period is 5-6 month in Surat . I booked 2012 Fortuner in silver, Salesman said " don't worry sir, who has booked before Diwali is obviously getting older version even in Jan-Feb2012 from our (toyota's) ready delivery stock, You may endup getting new model very fast then May2012.As you have cleared that you want new one only then its not a problem"...He smiled
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:28   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the dealer in Mysore was ready to accept bookings and convert it to the new model
This is surprising, as when i checked with the Bangalore Dealer today he specifically said they are not taking any booking for the new one, and are also not allowed to do so. He was quiet sure if i book now i will get the old one and if and when the new one bookings open i can book that at that time.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:37   #267
BHPian

Quote:
I booked my facelifted Fortuner in Sept 2011 for Jan 2012 delivery. My dealer told me that as of now it looks like they plan to start delivery of the new models from Jan 10th 2012. I was also told that the production of the new model is beginning from the 2nd week of Dec 2011.
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:40   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
I booked my facelifted Fortuner in Sept 2011 for Jan 2012 delivery. My dealer told me that as of now it looks like they plan to start delivery of the new models from Jan 10th 2012. I was also told that the production of the new model is beginning from the 2nd week of Dec 2011.
Well, There is complete contradiction between two dealers who are hardly 200 kms apart. I really feel that it is the dealer who makes a fast buck here. They would accpet bookings today, by taking a token payment and When the New fortuner bookings open officially, they would convert the pre-book to booking. The invoice/challan date will be the day of the bookings start.

The toyota customer care would be the best person to judge here. Did anyone get any answers from Toyota's Customer care ?
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:47   #269
BHPian

The toyota customer care says please wait for formal announcement of bookings . In such situations the dealer is the one , who will utilize your money for something else and later convert it into booking . I have decided to wait as iam in no hurry . I need a vehicle only by June 2012.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:04   #270
BHPian

Toyota confirms Fortuner/Innova facelift January launch to IAB

Source IAB
Closed Thread