Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 23:01   #346
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Wow. If that is true, Way to go Toyota. Am sure market is going to be flooded with fortuners. But at that price am sure they would probably give just 2 airbags and remove the electrically adjustable seats and other gizmos.
That is a freaking awesome price if its true. I will gladly trade in my innova and go for the fortuner. I am sure none of the new gadgets will be added to it but then I am not complaining if they give me the exact current spec Fortuner in the new look and minus the 4WD for 16L.

But I have my doubts regarding the above price. Its too low for a car thats going to sell like crazy and toyota very well knows it. I am expecting the 2WD MT to be priced around 18-19L ex-showroom.
Also if this variant will cost 16L then the other two variants should also be priced less then 20 right? There is only so much extra you can charge for adding ICE, AT etc. But elsewhere on the forum and the net its been written that the price hike will be in the tune of 50k over the current price. Something somewhere is doesn't add up.
drmohitg is online now  
Old 20th December 2011, 23:28   #347
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Just in on CNBC :
Toyota to price the face lifted Fortuner at Rs.16 Lacs Ex-Showroom Delhi.
I guess it would be for the 2WD.
That is phenomenal pricing for a good SUV.

The biggest problem with the Fortuner was the price. A SUV plagued with poor dynamics and Innova-ish interior simply did not justify its 25 lakh sticker-price.

But now, @ 16 lakhs, it's a steal. Assuming that they've addressed the dynamics of the car.

I hope they don't skim the car though. They must kit the car well enough.

And @ 16 lakhs ex-showroom, the Fortuner will single-handedly kill other SUVs like the Endeavour, the Yeti, and the Hyundai Santa Fe, which is also ridiculously priced. Those looking to buy the XUV might be tempted too!

Looks like Toyota has found the right formula for India. Kudos to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I have a wish. I wish they add "Land Cruiser" badge to the Fortuner. They have made the Grill and Fog Lamps similar to the Land Cruiser.

Maybe they badge it an LC at least in the next facelift

Land-Cruiser Badge will make the vehicle more upmarket and add value to the brand as well. It will be an entry into the aspiratonal "Land Cruiser" Family. Am i Suggesting toyota another oppurtunity to increase prices ?
If wishes were horses.. eh?

The Land Cruiser brand is already used for two SUVs in their portfolio. I'm not sure if they'd want to associate the LC brand-name with the Fortuner, which is more of a mass-market car, where as the Land Cruiser Prado, and the big-daddy Land Cruiser are targeted at an entirely different customer base.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 20th December 2011, 23:31   #348
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If wishes were horses.. eh?

The Land Cruiser brand is already used for two SUVs in their portfolio. I'm not sure if they'd want to associate the LC brand-name with the Fortuner, which is more of a mass-market car, where as the Land Cruiser Prado, and the big-daddy Land Cruiser are targeted at an entirely different customer base.
+1. Also there should always be something better to look upto and desire always . If and when we buy the LC it should be "THE LC"!
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 23:37   #349
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby007 View Post
Just seeing ticker on CNBC awaaz that Toyota will launch a 2wd version of fortuner in January 2012 with price tag less than 16 lac to compete with XUV500 and Aria.

roby
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Just in on CNBC :
Toyota to price the face lifted Fortuner at Rs.16 Lacs Ex-Showroom Delhi.
I guess it would be for the 2WD.
16 lacs exshowroom even Delhi seems unrealistic. I see 19 lacs ex-show for the 4X2 more realistic. Toyota CAN price this at 16 lacs and make this a lucrative deal, but it will not do so. Given the Yen Vs ruppee fall, i dont think they will do a 16 lac ex show.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 20th December 2011 at 23:43.
scopriobharath is offline  
Old 20th December 2011, 23:54   #350
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 1,205 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Just in on CNBC :
Toyota to price the face lifted Fortuner at Rs.16 Lacs Ex-Showroom Delhi.
I guess it would be for the 2WD.


Excellent pricing. If this is true, i am afraid the Fortuner would be stripped out of most of the already scarce goodies.

My guess would be
- No Leather seats
- No ACC
- No Audio, speakers, no usb
- Hilux type plastic steering with no steering control
- No HIDS
- No projector lamps
- No Fog lamps
- No Alloys
- No Rear wiper

More like the entry level Innova, but with body coloured bumpers.

Will it be still worth buying the Fortuner? Yes, for the Gem of an Engine, the reliability of the Toyota.

I just hope they don't plonk an Innova Engine for the 2 WD.
MAS is offline  
Old 20th December 2011, 23:54   #351
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 557
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

A SUV plagued with poor dynamics ...
Are you sure about that ??
Would you please explain in detail..
How many kms have you driven a fortuner for, to come to such a conclusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai
A deep thinking of the last two posts concludes that the understanding of pricing factor is totally wrong as quoted by CNBC. XUV top model is close to 15lakhs and Fortuner base model will not be priced 16lakhs (ex-showroom), thus rubbing shoulders with XUV which will make Toyota loose its image.

XUV's pricing is introductory and is bound to increase by another lakh or so in th near future, so TKM would have thought of this and will never price T-fort close to 16lakhs.

T-fort base model would be 21.5 lakhs on road and the four wheeled one would be 23.5 lakhs or more, that would be a clever pricing.
So true..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath

16 lacs exshowroom even Delhi seems unrealistic. I see 19 lacs ex-show for the 4X2 more realistic. Toyota CAN price this at 16 lacs and make this a lucrative deal, but it will not do so. Given the Yen Vs ruppee fall, i dont think they will do a 16 lac ex show.
Right said..

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 20th December 2011 at 23:59.
Monaro CV8 is offline  
Old 21st December 2011, 00:09   #352
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Are you sure about that ??
Would you please explain in detail..
How many kms have you driven a fortuner for, to come to such a conclusion?
The Fortuner, if I'm not wrong, is based on a pick-up. The Hilux.

Pick-up trucks are never good, dynamically.

The SUV sits on a ladder-frame chassis that is not suited for high-speed driving on highways and expressways. It's more of a mud-slugger. The Fortuner is more at home in rough terrain, where it can showcase its off-road abilities. It will be much better off-the-road than say, the XUV or the Yeti, or even the X-Trail.

EDIT: It's the same case with the Ford Endeavour, which is also based on a pick-up (the Ranger)

I have driven the Fortuner in Dhaka, Thailand, Japan, USA quite extensively, and logged over lakhs of kilometers.

Na, I'm just kidding.

Do we need to drive a car to arrive at a conclusion every time? What is the point of reviews and facts then? Do I have to travel to the Moon myself to believe that man has discovered water molecules, or just say that it's a load of hog-wash?

I sense that you've taken some sort of offense after reading my post.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st December 2011 at 00:12.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 21st December 2011, 00:25   #353
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 557
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

You've answered your own question there.
Hope everytime you read reviews and interpret them correctly..
In the T-BHP official fortuner review thread, GTO speaks about the highway handling abilities of this truck of a car. Check out the OPs.

Talking about reviews, let's refer fellow BHPians - Guderian, dkaile, manuuj, Nilanjan's ownership threads. These guys have been using the fortuner everyday & some over a very long period of time. Not one talks about poor dynamics.

Mate, its easy to judge a car by its cover. I reckon go and TD one for a minimum 50-60km and then take a call.


p.s. - I proudly own one too and would love to invite you over for a drive in my Truck and prove you wrong

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 21st December 2011 at 00:27.
Monaro CV8 is offline  
Old 21st December 2011, 00:38   #354
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Umm, alright. Looks like you're not going to budge.

Sir,

Don't get me wrong. I respect the Fortuner. It's a wonderful SUV and it has taken the market by storm. It's an absolute success. After all, it's a T. And Toyotas are bullet-proof, despite the few issues they've had to deal with over the years.

That said, a fact is a fact.

The fact is that a SUV built on a ladder-frame chassis will never be as good ON THE ROAD as a SUV built on a monocoque platform. No number of test-drives and ownership-reviews will be able to prove this. Now, obviosly, this is nitpicking. But it's still a defect nonetheless. And it's an inherit defect with not just the Fortuner, but any SUV that's built on a similar platform.

The brakes, you've gotta admit, could be better. Especially for a SUV of its size and power.

Please don't think I'm taking a swing at the Fortuner. It has it's strengths. And the number of strengths it has outnumbers the number of weaknesses. Every car has a weakness and no car is perfect. And now, with the up-coming facelift, it's going to be even better than what it currently is. The Fortuner is built for a purpose, and that purpose is to be able to withstand anything you throw at it, while cocooning you in relative comfort.

You yourself have mentioned that it's a truck. If you believe that trucks are as dynamically as sound as say, a family sedan or a cross-over-SUV, then I'm at a loss for words.

It's only natural for one to defend his purchase. I would too. But let's accept facts and leave it at that, please.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st December 2011 at 00:42.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 21st December 2011, 01:11   #355
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 557
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

Well, we agree to disagree..don't we

The reason I'm holding on to my advocacy is due the very basic fact that a lot of people know what the fortuner is all about (technically) but still expect it to perform like a car. And they like to take a dig at its highway abilities..

Boy, this would be a lot misleading to fellow readers/aspiring fortuner owners - members/ non members alike.

A post of mine in the past on the fortuner thread mentions about 1st defining the basic purpose/ utility into deciding to buy a car.
Heck I'd buy a Zonda, but will it bring me the purpose of my daily commute?

This is where folks get it all wrong - talk of an SUV and want to drive it like a car..leading to misconceptions as stated by you.
The T Fort is a true blue SUV and much rugged than the fabled cross-overs.

It would have been a lot easier for you to say that monoquoqe chassis have better dynamics than ladder on frame chassis, rather than refering to the latter as 'poor dynamics'. If that was true then Toyota would have never launched such a car in the 1st place..

To bring this discussion back to topic - the new facelifted Fortuner.
It would be hilarious to hear you say that this would be a better handler. Coz both the new and the old are based on the same 'ladder on frame' platform. Lol.

Now let's add personal perspective to your argument. I've covered lot many miles in my car, be it National Highways or Express ways (Mumbai - pune); cruised at various speeds, never has this car felt like it has 'poor dynamics'.

You have still not answered my question yet: how many kms have you driven the Fortuner for to arrive at such a notion ?
If not, then let's start this discussion once you get some time off (from your studies), get a TD, and maybe write (PM) to me..

And yea we are all motor-heads here: practical and conclusive; say what..

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 21st December 2011 at 01:33.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 01:31   #356
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Well, we agree to disagree..don't we
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
The reason I'm holding on to my advocacy is due the very basic fact that a lot of people know what the fortuner is all about (technically) but still expect it to perform like a car. And they like to take a dig at its highway abilities..

A post of mine in the past on the fortuner thread mentions about 1st defining the basic purpose/ utility into deciding to buy a car.
Heck I'd buy a zonda, but will it bring me the purpose of my daily commute?

This is where folks get it all wrong - talk of an SUV and want to drive it like a car..leading to misconceptions as stated by you ' poor dynamics'.

Boy, that would be a lot misleading to fellow readers/aspiring fortuner owners - members/ non members alike.
I agree with you.

And if you read my post, you'll know that I have mentioned this too, but in a different way. The strengths and weaknesses of the car. The car's strengths are apparent. It's meant to cocoon you in comfort while you throw it in muck and slush and whatnot. It's never meant to be a good handler. But the fact remains that it isn't.

SUVs can have good dynamics and still be good mud-pluggers. But then you'll have to be ready to shell out a lot of money for those.

It will be misleading. But at the same time, people have this false sense of security that nothing can touch them if they're driving a big car like the Fortuner. They feel that they can attain whatever speed, and the car will oblige without so much as a whimper. Now, that's misleading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
To bring this discussion back to topic - the new facelifted fortuner.
It would be hilarious to hear you say that this would be a better handler. Cos both the new and the old are based on the same 'ladder on frame' platform. Lol.
When i said improvements, I did not mean that the Fortuner's dynamics would improve a great deal. that's not possible. What Toyota can do, is address it to the best of their abilities. For example, provide superior brakes. All-wheel-discs with ABS & EBD and other electronic-gizmos should help improving the car's braking ability.

At the same time, they could tweak the suspension and make it more suited for driving on tarmac, as 90% of the Fortuners sold here in India wouldn't really see heavy off-road drives anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Now let's add personal perspective to your argument. I've covered lot many miles in my car, be it National Highways or Express ways (Mumbai - pune); cruised at various speeds, never has this car felt like it has 'poor dynamics'.
You have still not answered my question yet: how many kms have you driven the Fortuner for to arrive at such a notion ?
It won't. If it did, it wouldn't be a success. It has proved itself. And it definitely can be drive at speeds on highways and expressways. Just like even the Endeavour can be. And the XUV too. Why, I've seen Sumos and Scorpios being driven at absurd speeds on highways. Just because it can, doesn't mean that there is no fault in it.

You can't swerve wildly at a 140 km/h in a Fortuner and expect it to hug the road like a sedan. It is a SUV after all. And most SUVs are not dynamically sound. They ought not to be, because they are not meant to be driven like that.

In fact, I wouldn't recommend that in any car. Let alone a Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
If not, then let's start this discussion once you get some time off college, get a TD and maybe write to me..

And yea we are all motor heads here - practical and conclusive..say what..
I have driven the Fortuner. Not extensively. In fact, I've driven it for about 10 km at a stretch maybe? And I haven't gone beyond 80 km/h in it. It feels solid and planted, and the brakes seem to be fine too. But there is always scope for improvement. And Toyota would do well if they tweak the car's dynamics.

And yes, we're all motorheads, or as I'd like to put it, petrol-heads.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 21st December 2011, 05:43   #357
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Just in on CNBC :
Toyota to price the face lifted Fortuner at Rs.16 Lacs Ex-Showroom Delhi.
I guess it would be for the 2WD.
Wow, if true this looks like a nice pricing from Toyota, finally they get their act together and get working again. Looks like competition has had a positive effect on T brand.

I am guessing by the end of 2012 would be an awesome time to buy an SUV, good options with competitive pricing.

Although it sounds little untrue and difficult to believe, i must add

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 21st December 2011 at 05:59.
mayankjha1806 is offline  
Old 21st December 2011, 08:47   #358
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,985
Thanked: 4,026 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

The beauty (or curse) of open forums is that almost anyone can say anything, no matter how bizarre. Also some perceptions take generalised mentality without actually driving those vehicles. I drove the XUV recently and found its ergonomics and handling nowhere near a Toyota.

Poor dynamics comes into the picture but the question is compared to what? Fortuner's dynamics is better than 90% of the vehicles on road in India (even some sedans) but obviously you can't compare it to some well made sedans (say a Corolla or a BMW) which will always have better high speed dynamics. But generalising that it has poor dynamics is taking it over the top.

Coming to the revised price of 16L sure is mouth watering and much pleasing. Indian public can finally taste the beauty of a Fortuner at this price. Though I doubt that moniker. Realistic figures seem like 18~21L.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 09:16   #359
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

The front grill gives me a funny feeling, reminds me of the comedy scenes in the movies where someone smokes a cigarette with a 'mini-bomb', which explodes with the smoker loosing his upper and lower lips, exposing the teeth

The interiors do look smart though I would have appreciated the MID and other indicators to be integrated with the ICE!
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 10:35   #360
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Aaah, one more expert with vicarious opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A SUV plagued with poor dynamics and Innova-ish interior simply did not justify its 25 lakh sticker-price.
Do you understand what the phrase 'plagued with' means? Or are you repeating phrases that you have read elsewhere, since you have said that you haven't driven it enough?

You can say plagued with less than ideal brakes. As an owner, I would agree. But plagued with poor dynamics is an erroneous statement. Any person who compares its handling with a crossover's or sedan's is comparing apples to oranges. The Fortuner is a fantastic highway vehicle, ideal for our country where we can't rely on great roads.

OT: seems Fortuner bashers fall into two categories:

1. Sour grapes types, also known as the Fortuner Stalkers. I won't name the folks, but we know who they are - you will often find them on Fortuner threads passing comments.
(Yeah, we know the Fortuner is overpriced, and that Toyota is looting us because of the market dynamics. What to do?).

2. People who have a need to show how 'informed' they are by parroting other people's opinions to bash a vehicle they have little personal experience with.

Get a life guys.
nilanjanray is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs Aditya The Indian Car Scene 45 25th June 2015 00:46
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90 tusharsethi The Indian Car Scene 1425 5th January 2012 22:01
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20
*Rumour* : Toyota Fortuner facelift with Automatic later this year silentscreamers The Indian Car Scene 42 12th April 2011 11:24
[pics] 20-year old Corvette uncovered with 3300 miles on it Vert1go The International Automotive Scene 78 11th June 2009 08:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks